Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

The Easy Rider posted:

Hey, I'm really new to building miniatures, and I'm trying to join a resin hat to a filed-down plastic head. The only problem is that I need to be able to do some repositioning once they're joined to prevent the assembly from looking like a complete hackjob. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to best accomplish this? I see that Loctite has "Extra Time Control Super Glue Gel" that sounds like it might be my best bet, but it still says "instant bonding" in the description, which sheds some doubt on it. Would a two-part epoxy or something be my best bet? Thanks, and apologies if this is a dumb question.

Edit: All of this is for a 28mm human-sized miniature, in case size matters.

Someone correct me if this is a dumb idea but this is what I came up with:

Fit the hat how you like, get some very thin super glue and apply it with a toothpick at the exposed joint between the head and hat. If the super glue is thin enough it should capillary action into the gap and make a good enough adhesion to keep the hat on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

When life throws lemons at you, nuke the fucker!

Spanish Manlove posted:

Someone correct me if this is a dumb idea but this is what I came up with:

Fit the hat how you like, get some very thin super glue and apply it with a toothpick at the exposed joint between the head and hat. If the super glue is thin enough it should capillary action into the gap and make a good enough adhesion to keep the hat on.
Maybe a tiny piece of green stuff or something inside the hat? Won't set right away and should harden them together.

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011
OK, you can stop yelling :hf:

Eej posted:

For number and variety of models for the price you can't beat the Indomitus box. If you can find it still (like at a local store) it's $200 USD for:

---

I thiiiiink that's the exact number but for either playing or painting it's a pretty insane value

Eediot Jedi posted:

Grabbing any of the 40k starters should be good, the units from them/indomitus are all 'easy to build'. The primaris assault intercessors are great models with awesome poses that are simple to put together and don't have a million fiddly bits to glue on or thousands of details when painting. You could also find them on eBay or swap groups commonly.

Thanks for the tips, guys. Doesn't look like the Indomitus box is available near me. Not sure I would get that either way, since I'm not really big on the Necron aesthetic. Though the buckets with legs are definitely more fun than what was available back when the 3rd edition codex came out.

I ended up going back to my old ways slightly and picked up a box of Primaris Eliminators. I've always been a sucker for the sniper type troops, the catachan snipers (which haven't been updated since I stopped playing, I guess) are maybe my favourite unit models of all time. I might also have jumped a few steps with regards to complexity of the models, but that's why there's three models in the box, right?

Also came across this thing which is also extremely my thing, but might be a bit complicated for now:

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Genestealer Cult has some of the most awesome looking models in the range , like that biker sniper. Very ..Total Recall mutant miner like.

The Easy Rider
Sep 21, 2006

Corn Dogs- Deep Fried Proof Of A Loving God
Thanks for the advice! I'm a bit worried that green stuff raising the hat might be a problem, though. The problem is that it's already a bit high and the hat itself is just a smidge too small for its intended purpose, and I'm worried it'll look a bit goofy if raised. Here's some pictures of what I'm working with if those are helpful; I've since filed the head down a bit more, but I'm at the point where I'll be cutting into eyebrows if I go much further.

Absent a particularly generous curing time adhesive, one idea I came up with: what if I drilled into both parts with a pin vice, put in a tiny amount of green stuff linking the two holes, and then positioned it and let it cure. I would then separate the pieces, add superglue, and have the green stuff serve as a guide to joining them in the correct position.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

The Easy Rider posted:

Thanks for the advice! I'm a bit worried that green stuff raising the hat might be a problem, though. The problem is that it's already a bit high and the hat itself is just a smidge too small for its intended purpose, and I'm worried it'll look a bit goofy if raised. Here's some pictures of what I'm working with if those are helpful; I've since filed the head down a bit more, but I'm at the point where I'll be cutting into eyebrows if I go much further.

Absent a particularly generous curing time adhesive, one idea I came up with: what if I drilled into both parts with a pin vice, put in a tiny amount of green stuff linking the two holes, and then positioned it and let it cure. I would then separate the pieces, add superglue, and have the green stuff serve as a guide to joining them in the correct position.

If you arent getting enough working time out of superglue, and are now talking about using a pin vice anyway, heres what I would do. Drill a hole into lets say the hat. Put some poster tack onto the head. Put the hat into position, then lift it back up, leaving the poster tack still on the head. The poster tack now shows you where you should drill the matching hole to put the pin in to pin the hat to the head in the position you like. Fill any gaps with greenstuff if necessary.

I find I usually get a couple of seconds working time with gel superglues though, which isnt much but is generally enough to go "Like that. No, actually, left a bit, like that.".

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Ooh, I really could need a tricon like that myself for a kitbash I'm working on.
Because to me it feels like this naval captain is missing something to complete the picture.

Is that [hat] a 3D print or grabbed from somewhere else?

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 31, 2021

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
that's a kit bash. imperial guard commissar, possibly skitarii left arm and pistol, empire plastic head (hand gunner or greatsword?)

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Big Willy Style posted:

that's a kit bash. imperial guard commissar, possibly skitarii left arm and pistol, empire plastic head (hand gunner or greatsword?)

I was referring to the hat. :v: Sorry for not making that clear as that's my own kitbash.
But you were 95% correct, the pistol is from the Serberys Raiders

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Cooked Auto posted:

I was referring to the hat. :v: Sorry for not making that clear as that's my own kitbash.
But you were 95% correct, the pistol is from the Serberys Raiders

LOL i thought you should have known better than that

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Well I have adjusted my post accordingly. :cheeky:

The Easy Rider
Sep 21, 2006

SiKboy posted:

If you arent getting enough working time out of superglue, and are now talking about using a pin vice anyway, heres what I would do. Drill a hole into lets say the hat. Put some poster tack onto the head. Put the hat into position, then lift it back up, leaving the poster tack still on the head. The poster tack now shows you where you should drill the matching hole to put the pin in to pin the hat to the head in the position you like. Fill any gaps with greenstuff if necessary.

I find I usually get a couple of seconds working time with gel superglues though, which isnt much but is generally enough to go "Like that. No, actually, left a bit, like that.".

This sounds like a brilliant idea. Gonna give this a try as soon as I can sneak the time in!

Cooked Auto posted:

Ooh, I really could need a tricon like that myself for a kitbash I'm working on.
Because to me it feels like this naval captain is missing something to complete the picture.

It's resin, but I think it's a cleaned-up resin cast of a 3D print. I snagged it from this shop on Etsy (and I'd definitely recommend them, the quality's excellent) for a different project, and removed the head.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/876162146/helmets-ig-type-optimatium-32mm-by-liber

EDIT: And for the record, I think it'd look great with your kitbash, and you'd have spares for voidsmen or the like. The hat would fit perfectly on any human-sized model, it's only the weird proportions on the kellermorph that is making it a bit of a hassle to get a good fit.

The Easy Rider fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jan 31, 2021

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The Easy Rider posted:

It's resin, but I think it's a cleaned-up resin cast of a 3D print. I snagged it from this shop on Etsy (and I'd definitely recommend them, the quality's excellent) for a different project, and removed the head.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/876162146/helmets-ig-type-optimatium-32mm-by-liber

EDIT: And for the record, I think it'd look great with your kitbash, and you'd have spares for voidsmen or the like. The hat would fit perfectly on any human-sized model, it's only the weird proportions on the kellermorph that is making it a bit of a hassle to get a good fit.

Nice. Thanks. :)

Although I am inclined to take the latter with a grain of salt because I bought some slouch hats from Victoria Miniatures and the site said they fit 28mmm heroic scale miniatures. But in the end I had to file and scrape of most of the head anyway to make it work so I'm inclined to disbelieve a little bit.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I painted some more malifaux! And more to the point I finally had a dry day where the outside temperature was about freezing, so I could get stuff varnished. I dont like doing water effects (by which I mean modpodge dimensional magic because I'm not mixing up 2 part epoxies for less than 2 ml for a base...) on bases before I varnish, because I'm paranoid about the varnishes misting the water.

The Mechanized Porkchop. When I'm wanting to do something hobby related but not involving too much precision I quite like having some robots or armoured figures on deck. Metallics and a black ink wash and you are 90% of the way there without requiring anything approaching skill.

McTavish. Really needs to get that funny looking green dog better leash training.

Banjonistas x 3

The Brutal Effigy

Witchling Handlers x2

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Got the SW Legion Starter Box Clone Troopers done.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Another robot crosspost!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Smoke Jaguars. Nu Galaxy may be known primarily only for losing and dying (they were the villains of the original MechCommander), but they just have a really nostalgic Smoke Jaguar look.

Dire Wolf (I included a shot of the undercarriage so you can see the warm Zenithal highlighting (which uses a brown primer base instead of black). I was really nervous this wouldn't work as well with the gray as it did with Natasha Kerensky's Widowmaker, but it worked so perfectly that I'm now regretting that I didn't risk it for my Alpha Galaxy Wolves.

Mad Dog looks great in Nu Galaxy colors.

Stormcrow's new beefy arms make it look less like a plucked turkey, but it still kinda looks like an anthropomorphic toilet bowl.

Shadow Cat. They retroactively gave the Timberwolf the Weak Cockpit quirk because the cockpit was front and center mass (and mostly to retroactively nerf it to explain why the Clans stopped making it). The Shadow Cat should get the same treatment, that cockpit is huuuuge.

Mist Lynx. I might've used a little too much red on this one.

Here's the whole star.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

PoptartsNinja posted:

Another robot crosspost!

Dude these are all killer. Where are you grabbing these by chance? 3d prints?

I've been seeing a bunch in Etsy but I'm not sure how strictly legal they are to sell

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

quick q for people who’ve used oil washes before - now that ive done the wash, how long before i can varnish this? about a week or so sound about right?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

w00tmonger posted:

Dude these are all killer. Where are you grabbing these by chance? 3d prints?

Official plastics from Catalyst's Clan Invasion kickstarter. Wave 1 has shipped and I believe they've closed orders for Wave 2, but they do plan on some form of retail release soon-ish. I'd heard Q1 of this year but I don't remember the specifics.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

He looks like starlord.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

MRLOLAST posted:

He looks like starlord.

...Goddamnit. Now I can't unsee it. Now I really need to find a better head swap for him.

The Easy Rider
Sep 21, 2006

Cooked Auto posted:

Nice. Thanks. :)

Although I am inclined to take the latter with a grain of salt because I bought some slouch hats from Victoria Miniatures and the site said they fit 28mmm heroic scale miniatures. But in the end I had to file and scrape of most of the head anyway to make it work so I'm inclined to disbelieve a little bit.

I feel you on the scale issues for some of the headswaps; 28mm seems to cover a lot of ground. That being said, these seem to fit in well. I took some comparison photos, if that's of any use. The heads are, from left to right, a Cadian guardsman, the head in question, a Cadian vet head from the command sprue, a GSC brood brother head from the upgrade sprue, and a GSC neophyte head. Let me know if you need a different shot. :)

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah that looks pretty decent in scale with the rest, thanks.
The biggest downside is that those heads go for like 11 bucks plus shipping on the original store and they're shipping from Russia. :v:
But either way I dug through my bits boxes and found some alternatives that might look better.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Still waiting on the crackle base to dry but holy moly this is the most minis I've ever painted start to finish in one day. My eyes and wrists are killing me, but the production line strategy made these not too painful.

Blood for the blood god, skulls for the skull throne, etc

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

Official plastics from Catalyst's Clan Invasion kickstarter. Wave 1 has shipped and I believe they've closed orders for Wave 2, but they do plan on some form of retail release soon-ish. I'd heard Q1 of this year but I don't remember the specifics.

huh, I don't have my wave one yet...

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Finished up another two Intercessors for my Fortis Killteam.

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Still waiting on the crackle base to dry but holy moly this is the most minis I've ever painted start to finish in one day. My eyes and wrists are killing me, but the production line strategy made these not too painful.

If you can get your hands on a cheap hairdryer they work really well at speeding up the drying process of crackle paint!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Oh, that hair is really nice by the way. Brown over Black or?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Cooked Auto posted:

Oh, that hair is really nice by the way. Brown over Black or?

Mephiston Red over Abaddon Black.

I was trying to make it emo because Raven Guard. :v: Is it not red enough? Should I give it a brighter red highlight maybe?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

Mephiston Red over Abaddon Black.

I was trying to make it emo because Raven Guard. :v: Is it not red enough? Should I give it a brighter red highlight maybe?

Maybe, it does look more brown to than red on the photo so maybe a slight highlight on some strands might make it stand out a bit.

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

:france: Honneur et Patrie :france:

Hey so I posted about this in the 40k thread and it just occured to me to ask about it here. I'm working on a scratch built Thunderhawk Gunship. In order to complete the cockpit I need a set of Landspeeder cockpit. If anyone has one laying around they aren't using I'd like to arrange a trade. If this is not an appropriate post for here then I'll remove the request but I'd rather turn to my fellow goons first before going somewhere like Bartertown. Anyway, pics:

I posted:

Here's the latest progress on my Thunderhawk scratchbuild. I have assembled the largest two parts of the wings both port and starboard.

The observent among you are going to notice that a lot of places on the wings have panels that extend beyond their normal limits. This is due to the complexity of those parts and the impossibility of making hand cut pieces fit together perfectly. I'm going to let the assembled parts set overnight before I trim the excess plastic off of them and fill in their gaps.

And I just realized I left the dorsal gun mount out of the photo :doh:

I've been documenting my progress in the 40k thread, if you want to see the progression check my posts there.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven

The French Army posted:

Here's the latest progress on my Thunderhawk scratchbuild. I have assembled the largest two parts of the wings both port and starboard.

The observent among you are going to notice that a lot of places on the wings have panels that extend beyond their normal limits. This is due to the complexity of those parts and the impossibility of making hand cut pieces fit together perfectly. I'm going to let the assembled parts set overnight before I trim the excess plastic off of them and fill in their gaps.

And I just realized I left the dorsal gun mount out of the photo :doh:

Poorhammer done incredibly right

Gentleman Blogger
Sep 19, 2003

directions make no sense in the grand scheme of things.

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

That's the best part about emperor's children, you can paint them crazy rear end colors! The vaporwave a e s t h e t I c look works really well on them, not to mention all the animal prints. I know I've shared this here a few times, but it's hands down my favorite model I've ever painted.

:sickos: slap this beast on The Stage and blast some Merzbow via the built in bluetooth speakers!

Yeah it's a pricey for what it is, but damnit if it isn't cool.

So, on that note, I've never really spoken here about this, but I had a fellow goon, A Mean Cow, aka 3T Studios, aka (EDITED AT MOD REQUEST) from Arizona, make me a sweet loving stage for my GWAR Miniature Game minis, which I had professionally painted. I paid him in full, and even got completion photos from him

but I never got my stage. Apparently he had a breakdown or something? And a bunch of other excuses? I'm ok with him needing time to address his mental health, and he even reached back out after he had lost access to his work email, and like, all his poo poo had fallen apart, but he never shipped me anything. I even bought a bunch of other scenery off him at the time to help his old lady get over the flu or something, some kinda help out. I'm not even mad at this point, because it's been a few years now. (I started in 2018 trying to get it, he was done by mid that year, by Jan 2019, I heard from him one last time, saying he'd get it crated and shipped, and that was it.) I'm out 600 to him for custom work I never saw. But it would have been sick as gently caress to have as a companion piece to the minis, which are rare and expensive.

Gentleman Blogger fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 12, 2021

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Finally got the transfers in! I'll definitely need another sheet down the line, but I think they look great. This is what the entire squad will look like after transfers, oil washes and a matte varnish.

You can really see the difference in the before-after shot.

The armor is hit with gloss varnish, then the entire armor is hit with a layer of dark, dark blue (almost black). Excess is wiped off with q-tips and mineral spirits.

I'm also hitting the leather, skin and red areas with a burnt umber + violet oil wash.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
I'm new to this hobby and I'm looking to start painting my models and I'm set on everything except for primers. I've decided it would be more convenient to go with a non spray primer but I'm not sure what to get. Anyone have any good recommendations?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Badger Stynylrez, paint it on.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Lucinice posted:

I'm new to this hobby and I'm looking to start painting my models and I'm set on everything except for primers. I've decided it would be more convenient to go with a non spray primer but I'm not sure what to get. Anyone have any good recommendations?

Vallejo primer, brush on.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
just use a spray primer

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

just use a spray primer

I agree. If you're new just use a spray primer to do ten dudes in a couple of minutes rather than loving around with a brush on primer when you're brand new to it.

If it's inconvenient due to apartment or whatever then stynlrez is good.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

JBP posted:

I agree. If you're new just use a spray primer to do ten dudes in a couple of minutes rather than loving around with a brush on primer when you're brand new to it.

If it's inconvenient due to apartment or whatever then stynlrez is good.

Eh it was mostly because I didn't want to have to worry about the environmental conditions when spraying. I feel like every time I watch a video talking about spray primer they warn you for like 5 minutes about spraying under the right weather conditions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
More blood for the blood god!!!

But what's this? Not enough skulls??

More skulls!!!