Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Oh man. That's every birthday dinner I had as a kid.

We'd go to the weird pizza joint in town that served spaghetti, breadsticks, and nacho cheese in with any pizza order. If it was your birthday and you had a party there you got a whole FREE! personal pizza with unlimited toppings and tokens for the arcade in the back with 9 fully functional games. There's 15 cabinets, but none are marked so you get to guess which one works. It's never Mortal Kombat, stop trying. Some kid in your party always ate too much and puked up olive pizza in the car on the way home.

The lobby of the place had a really cool fortune teller machine like in Big. I'm afraid of things like that and screamed and passed out when my Mom made me ask him a question once. I never found out if I'm going to marry the love of my life named Rosalind.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I swear to god pizza doesn't taste right anymore if you don't wait for it to finish cooking by watching the Pole Position demo over and over and over.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Data Graham posted:

I swear to god pizza doesn't taste right anymore if you don't wait for it to finish cooking by watching the Pole Position demo over and over and over.

my greasy pizza hands slamming the start button on Altered Beast with zero creds, just to see if it somehow works.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Data Graham posted:

This but Afterburner II

Also did every Pizza Hut in the 90's have a Street Fighter 2 cabinet or just the ones near me?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Whooping Crabs posted:

This but Afterburner II

Also did every Pizza Hut in the 90's have a Street Fighter 2 cabinet or just the ones near me?

I'm pretty sure every building in america had a SF2 machine in the 90s

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Street Fighter 2! That's the one that never worked, not Mortal Kombat. I am very bad at video games and thought they were the same game until right now.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1J9ffRgADRU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Oh, they stuffed the Lidl one in a can?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

gschmidl posted:

Oh, they stuffed the Lidl one in a can?

looks normal sized to me

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

I remember that thread.

https://www.somethingawful.com/comedy-goldmine/meat-house-can/1/

Still looks terrible. Some things shouldn't be in cans.

Sodium Chloride has a new favorite as of 21:24 on Jan 30, 2021

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Looks better than the two in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO3Xe1KNZHY

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Sodium Chloride posted:

Still looks terrible. Some things shouldn't be in cans.

Well, not with that attitude.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I just don't really understand what the purpose is. I guess maybe if you don't have a lot of fast food in your area and just for some bizarre reason crave the specific flavor of hamburgers?

Like a big part of the appeal of a sandwich is the convenience of not needing utensils to eat, but if you're gonna bring in a can opener, why not eat something with a fork or spoon instead of holding onto a soggy bun? Maybe get something in a microwavable bowl?

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

I just don't really understand what the purpose is. I guess maybe if you don't have a lot of fast food in your area and just for some bizarre reason crave the specific flavor of hamburgers?

Like a big part of the appeal of a sandwich is the convenience of not needing utensils to eat, but if you're gonna bring in a can opener, why not eat something with a fork or spoon instead of holding onto a soggy bun? Maybe get something in a microwavable bowl?

Camping/Hiking. The like. I imagine if it tastes like poo poo it might still be better than endlessly eating soup. Or expensive MREs.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Fartington Butts posted:

Camping/Hiking. The like. I imagine if it tastes like poo poo it might still be better than endlessly eating soup. Or expensive MREs.

i'd rather eat a foraged tuber and some lichens than eat that horrible thing.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I don’t think you’d be hiking around carrying cans, and if you’re just camping and can bring heavy poo poo then why not bring a cooler and grill and make real burgers

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

That is the only possible example I can think for it. Otherwise it's just Dr. Ian Malcolm all the way.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I don’t think you’d be hiking around carrying cans, and if you’re just camping and can bring heavy poo poo then why not bring a cooler and grill and make real burgers

If I'm going to be backpacking for more than a couple days I usually bring some semi stable meat product, a couple cans of beer, and a tin of beans or something, and go through it the first night.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

That product exists solely because of the gimmick factor.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I was thinking bomb shelter/prepper bunkers.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

uber_stoat posted:

maybe throw some of those crunchy fried onions in there if you're feeling fancy cooking.

Protip: Keep a jar of the crunchy fried onions, or even better, shallots, in your pantry. They're an easy way to add flavor to almost any dish.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Trekking Burger is a joke basically only German hikers understand and find funny, at least for the intended reason.

My favourite video on it is ashens'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60_oMY5ULIw

Feats of Strength
Feb 9, 2012

Man, If god told me to sacrifice my son I'd tell
him to fuck off.
Traditional English Cuisine F*****s and Peas

:nws: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVHbWHGVYaU :nws: Language NSFW

When I was in Primary School we used to get served these once a week and outside of being an unfortunately named amorphous blob of brown mystery meat they taste revolting. They tasted like dog food.

Feats of Strength has a new favorite as of 21:05 on Jan 31, 2021

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

What an incredibly obnoxious person.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

mllaneza posted:

Protip: Keep a jar of the crunchy fried onions, or even better, shallots, in your pantry. They're an easy way to add flavor to almost any dish.

It's an easy way for me to go to the kitchen at 2:00 a.m. and eat a jar of fried onions.

Arban
Aug 28, 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi2B_Y2z-ts AFP for concept

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Already physically recoiling at the sight of fluid mashed potato.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

I've done that recipe out of boredom and Emmy is a drat liar pretending it's edible food. It tastes exactly like potato chips that got boiled. There's no surprises, it just becomes wet potato chip soup. The cheese makes the potato chip grease stand out more, not less.

I still ate all of it because I don't waste food and I was grumpy the whole time.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

fizzymercy posted:

I've done that recipe out of boredom and Emmy is a drat liar pretending it's edible food. It tastes exactly like potato chips that got boiled. There's no surprises, it just becomes wet potato chip soup. The cheese makes the potato chip grease stand out more, not less.

I still ate all of it because I don't waste food and I was grumpy the whole time.

"A hard times recipe"

Uh, potatoes are dirt cheap, and it really doesn't take much time or effort to make mashed potatoes from scratch. Not to mention instant mashed potatoes are still cheaper than a bag of Lay's, and all you do is add water.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Iron Crowned posted:

"A hard times recipe"

Uh, potatoes are dirt cheap, and it really doesn't take much time or effort to make mashed potatoes from scratch. Not to mention instant mashed potatoes are still cheaper than a bag of Lay's, and all you do is add water.
That's the whole reason I tried it. In my head it had to be worth the extra money to use potato chips instead of just buying 10lbs of dried potatoes for pennies. But no, it's worse in every possible way.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Just eat the crisps, lmao. The recipe is only relevant if you're literally in prison and can't stand eating the same food from the prison store anymore.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You could probably get a similar effect by just pouring a gallon of oil into your mashed potato.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

You could probably get a similar effect by just pouring a gallon of oil into your mashed potato.

Hm, can you turn cheesy mashed potato chips into radiator wine?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

steinrokkan posted:

Hm, can you turn cheesy mashed potato chips into radiator wine?

Can? Sure, it's got carbs that yeast can turn into alcohol.

Should? OH HELL NO

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Code Jockey posted:

I'm pretty sure every building in america had a SF2 machine in the 90s

My parents moved us to a tiny mining town in BC back in the early 90s. There was a restaurant there that made the best pizza any of us had ever tasted, before or since. I don't know why this guy was working there, or how he got to make pizza so good, we were just grateful for his presence.

That little hole-in-the-wall restaurant, in a little hole-in-the-wall town, an hour's drive down gravel road from anywhere, had a SF2 machine.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Fartington Butts posted:

I've never taken cans of anything when hiking. They're too bulky and inflexible to pack into a rucksack, and they'd keep taking up space even after you've eaten the contents.

Ramen and dried pasta'n'sauce are my staples - they're dirt cheap and they crush up well and can be wedged into a rucksack. For meat I'll sometimes bring jerky but normally I'll just go meat-free for a week and replace it with stuff that has a stupidly high amount of energy-dense sugar instead.

No loving way I'm sitting down after a long hike to crack open a can of sub-dog food meat and wet bread.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
When I was backpack camping as a kid, we had "dehydrated ground beef" which I am like 90% sure was just TVP. My brother claims it was the real deal but I am a suspicious person at heart. We did have some KLIK (Canadian SPAM) but I think the tins just got put back in the wannagons so they took up some space but they're inflexible wooden boxes you carry with a leather strap on your forehead so every oz. less counts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Why not just open the drain valve on the radiator and drink the water if you're that desperate to ruin your life?