Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

Some pieces and sets look better without certain stickers. I definitely pick and choose which ones go on.
Same. I didn't with almost all the big Technic and UCS Star Wars ones, but did for the Mini and DB5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Some pieces and sets look better without certain stickers. I definitely pick and choose which ones go on.

I thought I could do my Hogwart's Express as just a cool red train, but the front piece had it printed on while everything else on the train was just stickers I could leave off. I guess the rounded dish piece is harder to do as a sticker so they just print it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I used no stickers on my microscale hogwarts and it looks fantastic.

I used no stickers on the london bus and it looks terrible. :v:

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I did a weird thing today. This car I am working on had squeaky wheels. The axels had a lot of ground up and powdered lego dust on them, so I cleaned them off. I put a tiny amount of 3-in-1 oil on a paper towel and then rubbed the axels. Now it's quiet and vrooms better. Lubing up legos isn't exactly 'best practices,' but it did the trick. Worst case scenario it corrodes the plastic and they break. :shrug:

It was these pieces...
https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalo...Modified%5D#T=C
https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=6014bc05&idColor=86#T=C&C=86

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

The Old Fishing Store was designed such that the most necessary details are printed, such as the sign and fish hook boxes, while the ones that were just small wall details or textures could be left off at will. I put all of 'em on, but I like that idea.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ninjago Garden folks: am I missing something or is the 4th level (light bright orange and green buildings) just like... somewhat loosely placed atop the structure? (As in: no stud grasp)

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Feenix posted:

Ninjago Garden folks: am I missing something or is the 4th level (light bright orange and green buildings) just like... somewhat loosely placed atop the structure? (As in: no stud grasp)

NG has a lot of issues. A lot of stuff is loose. The main structure is fragile and many of the individual builds are pretty fragile, too. Especially the weird fossil thing.

I just finished the main building. If I had to describe it in one word that would be "mess." Definitely not as good as NC or NCD. Those two were cohesive. NG just seems like a bunch of poo poo thrown at the wall. Lot of cool bits but as a whole it is lacking.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Carbohydrates posted:

New Ship In A Bottle, or the original? I'm wondering if the new one has the new transparent clear plastic.

New one

veni veni veni posted:

I think it's hilarious that in the booklet for the UCS A-Wing, they state that it's the first UCS set to come with a second set of stickers, so people can redo them if they mess them up and it does not in fact include a second set of stickers.

Mine did, but only for the stuff you put on the cockpit canopy

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
This article has lots of interesting information about the development of the Gardens and includes some earlier versions.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jan 30, 2021

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wish they had stuck with the original color for the tower. The turquoise is just way too loud and bar none my least favorite part of the set.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

veni veni veni posted:

I wish they had stuck with the original color for the tower. The turquoise is just way too loud and bar none my least favorite part of the set.

I think my least favorite was bag 16. AKA Lego hell. Where you puzzle over the pictures and the pieces and try to figure out which pieces to use. Over and over again.

Another note about the set: there aren't as many extra pieces as usual. Typically there is 1 extra 1x1 X piece for every 1x1 X piece in a bag. In this set? Nope. Many times there were the exact number of 1x1s for a section. Which was nice except for the one bag that had one missing. Fortunately there was a spare from earlier in the set. Took me 20 minutes of going over everything to see if I had been confused by a color or put the wrong piece in previously before I was certain it was a missing piece. I'd never seen a missing 1x1 before. Very strange.

Also, there are a ton of extra pieces in the set as it is. Because there are just so many different elements and small pieces in a multitude of colors. Even my gf, who has excellent color vision, had trouble with bag 16 when I asked if she could tell what I was supposed to choose.

Mr_Chicken
Mar 23, 2009

Looking to get the IDEAS Blacksmith as my LEGO treat of 2021 - What does "1st of February" mean in terms of release times/timezones?
I'm in the UK, a lot of places say "Midnight your timezone" and I can't remember what the case was when i got the UCS A-Wing when it released.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

Carbohydrates posted:

The Old Fishing Store was designed such that the most necessary details are printed, such as the sign and fish hook boxes, while the ones that were just small wall details or textures could be left off at will. I put all of 'em on, but I like that idea.

I was grateful for this because my OFS was delivered without the sticker sheet. It was a sealed box and just didn’t have them- I never asked LEGO or the seller about a replacement because as you said most of the important pieces are printed, and the set had been unavailable for a while already.

I’m not crazy about the printed vs stickered elements of the SC GT-R because it’s all or nothing, you have to commit fully to putting them all on because it won’t look like just a road car. That drat printed hood :argh:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Mr_Chicken posted:

Looking to get the IDEAS Blacksmith as my LEGO treat of 2021 - What does "1st of February" mean in terms of release times/timezones?
I'm in the UK, a lot of places say "Midnight your timezone" and I can't remember what the case was when i got the UCS A-Wing when it released.

It can mean 11:30pm on the day before. My housemate bought the HP books at 11:30pm Dec 31st.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

The_Doctor posted:

It can mean 11:30pm on the day before. My housemate bought the HP books at 11:30pm Dec 31st.

For me they reliant release at a few minutes before midnight in eastern time zone in the us (I'm in central). But often any GWP doesn't add in until after midnight. I'd bet this release causes the website to crash hard.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Waltzing Along posted:

NG has a lot of issues. A lot of stuff is loose. The main structure is fragile and many of the individual builds are pretty fragile, too. Especially the weird fossil thing.

I just finished the main building. If I had to describe it in one word that would be "mess." Definitely not as good as NC or NCD. Those two were cohesive. NG just seems like a bunch of poo poo thrown at the wall. Lot of cool bits but as a whole it is lacking.

I get ya. So is that a confirmation that that floor doesn’t attach but merely nestles?

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Feenix posted:

I get ya. So is that a confirmation that that floor doesn’t attach but merely nestles?

Yep, it's just nestled on the roofs of the 2nd floor buildings. It seems fine on mine.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Mere nestling

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Nestling, on the roof, waiting

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Thanks all. It’s no problem... it’s just a departure from the more traditional modular methods of “a few studs for grip”.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

The Lego Ideas Baba Yaga is amazing.
https://ideas.lego.com/projects/89319de2-8ad9-48eb-a486-b66418942759

Original idea, although another "medieval hut", the legs look cool, but curious how stable they are. Will be a day 1 purchase for me if released.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I’m not crazy about the printed vs stickered elements of the SC GT-R because it’s all or nothing, you have to commit fully to putting them all on because it won’t look like just a road car. That drat printed hood :argh:

Brawnfire posted:

Mere nestling

I ran into both these "issues" recently building the Audi Quattro. I thought about maybe leaving the stickers off at first, knowing that I would want the race car look eventually, but some of the pieces having racing stripes printed on them made that not really possible.

Then I also noticed that by default the windshield and roof only have studs to stick to at the front of the car, under the windshield. This meant that with tolerances and stuff, I almost always had a tiny gap where the roof would just rest on the studless surface on the back. But It was easy enough to just flip one of the 2x2 tiles with studs on the edge so that the roof had a couple studs to hold onto at the back, while still being easy to pop it off for the minifig.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I agree with the car stickers. They need to either commit to printed parts or to stickers, not a mixture of both. Though some things are unavoidable, like the F40. There is a black stripe down the side that is done with black plates. Then at the front, it ends at a curved slope that you have to put a sticker on. There's probably no decent way to do this because stickers look like crap, and it would probably be misaligned if it were printed.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I was just watching a vid of some guy showing his massive collection and there was a part where he was like "these exo force here were actually my sons, he's 24 now so he's too old for Lego, luckily 45 is perfect" and it gave me a hearty, sympathetic lol.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Lego should change the 12+ age category on their boxes to "10-20 and 35-99"

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Waltzing Along posted:

Another note about the set: there aren't as many extra pieces as usual. Typically there is 1 extra 1x1 X piece for every 1x1 X piece in a bag. In this set? Nope. Many times there were the exact number of 1x1s for a section. Which was nice except for the one bag that had one missing. Fortunately there was a spare from earlier in the set. Took me 20 minutes of going over everything to see if I had been confused by a color or put the wrong piece in previously before I was certain it was a missing piece. I'd never seen a missing 1x1 before. Very strange.

Also, there are a ton of extra pieces in the set as it is. Because there are just so many different elements and small pieces in a multitude of colors. Even my gf, who has excellent color vision, had trouble with bag 16 when I asked if she could tell what I was supposed to choose.

I noticed the lack of excess 1x1 as well. I think if that particular piece was ever in an earlier bag, it doesn't get an extra from what I can tell. I don't think that's great but if it's mostly a product trim due to pandemic manufacturing, I can live with it.

As for bag 16, I did that last night and didn't have any excessive confusion personally. No worse than I sorted out for myself earlier in the build anyway.

Nth Doctor posted:

Dark reddish brown and dark blue are almost impossible to tell apart in the manual for me with my lighting. I only just realized that black pieces get the edge lines printed in white which helped me know black from the other two at least.

Also tough: light bluish grey vs. one of the metallic silvers

For dark blue vs dark reddish brown, now, I'll actually lift the instructions up and get a good close look while holding it to catch as much light as possible which is helpful.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice
My new Akita arrived today. It’s the little things that make a person happy.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Fishing store SMASH

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
That's amazing

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice
I had some time to work on trying to finish my fig want list this morning. Here's something of interest for you guys. The best deal I've found so far for every fig I want from Harry Potter The Burrow is ~$45. The set costs $100, but those sets ALWAYS go on sale for at least 20% off. If I grab the set for $80 and pull the four figs I want out and sell the remaining set I suspect I'd beat the ~$45 for those figs by at least $20.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

xzzy posted:

I did surprisingly well with stickers as a sub-10 year old kid. Granted stickers were super uncommon back then, I think it was just a space logo on a flag and a FOLLOW ME sign on a yellow 1x4 brick but I still have them in my collection and they're on there pretty straight.

Unless my parents did that for me and I just don't remember it.

Yeah, but stickers spanning multiple pieces? While working on sorting my old collection I’ve dug out an entire bins worth of that crap :argh:

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Earth posted:

I had some time to work on trying to finish my fig want list this morning. Here's something of interest for you guys. The best deal I've found so far for every fig I want from Harry Potter The Burrow is ~$45. The set costs $100, but those sets ALWAYS go on sale for at least 20% off. If I grab the set for $80 and pull the four figs I want out and sell the remaining set I suspect I'd beat the ~$45 for those figs by at least $20.

I love how you alternate between trying to make as much money as possible and bemoaning that other people do the same.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
College Slice

Cloks posted:

I love how you alternate between trying to make as much money as possible and bemoaning that other people do the same.

This is funny to me because I do not try to make as much as possible. My goal is always to get the stuff out of my house as fast as possible. When I sell I make sure my items are the cheapest listing in the U.S. for whatever quality I have. You might be thinking of someone else.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Make a separate LEGO buying/selling thread, for all those “I just ordered ’X set’” posts, too.

Zefiel fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 31, 2021

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The list of stuff we're allowed to talk about in here is getting astonishingly short.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
College Slice

Zefiel posted:

Make a separate LEGO buying/selling thread, for all those “I just ordered ’X set’” posts, too.

"People are only allowed to talk about WHAT I WANT TO TALK ABOUT!"

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

I’m still bitter about being told to make a separate Mega Construx thread, that’s all, sorry

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
I personally think basically anything related to shipping delays, 3rd party pricing, VIP points, hustling on BL/ebay, is less interesting than hearing about people’s experiences while building, MOCs, or general opinions/philosophies about collecting, building, or LEGO as a business.

Simple acquisition chat is fine (who isn’t excited to get more Lego?) and availability chat has the potential to be helpful.

Regarding Ninjago Gardens, I have outsourced 95% of the build to my roommate who is new to LEGO and they’re blown away by the thing. I’ve basically just helped make/fix certain connections and interpret some of the instructions for them but I have to say I love the set. I don’t think I’ll be doing much customizing for this one because so far I don’t think it needs it. Just wrapping up bag 16 now. There are already quite a few pieces I haven’t seen before, both in terms of colors and actual part iterations themselves. I won’t say it’s better than NC but you probably don’t need both of them. Anyone who feels they missed out on NC I feel would have that itch scratched by this one. I’m sure more colors will come in the future for the tower pieces so I wouldn’t sleep on it just because of that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
This thread is only for talking about lego bricks. If you want to talk about plates or tiles or anything else, make another thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

This thread is only for talking about lego bricks. If you want to talk about plates or tiles or anything else, make another thread.

I know you’re joking but Jangbricks had to make a public post asking people to report a group of dedicated AFOLs making GBS threads up his comments and forums online because they’re raging so bad at the new road system, lmbo