Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

stephenthinkpad posted:

It was a very beautiful plan indeed.
LOL at the idea that the US had a plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Ardennes posted:

Granted, a strategic partnership with the Russians seems to have solved the issue by opening up former Soviet Central Asia for infrastructure development (especially Turkmenistan) allowing relatively easy access to Iran. Also there is at least one major corridor linking Pakistan and China directly. Honestly, maybe the US did China a favor by forcing them to work around Afganistan in the first place.

As for the "heartland" theory, it is probably true and arguably may have already happened.

I think that route in Afghanistan was to linking Afghanistan to a seaport, thus bringing development to inland afghan, not a trans-eurasia land route. However, china started CPEC, and hid it under the 1B1R branding, one year after Xi took over. It was also around the same time China started reinforcing SCS reefs. So it was possible China purposed a different, less strenuous route than CPEC under Hu. Building CPEC really touched India's sensitive spot and Modi started making GBS threads on 1B1R publicly.

Any land route that link up China to west side of Southern Asia (Pakistan/Iran/Afghan) would use way more energy for cargo shipping than a normal sea route. It makes more sense for China to help these countries building more infrastructure to increase commerce between them and increase the prosperities of this little "pro-China" region.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Some Guy TT posted:

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1355149986158309379

bidens team must be furious that china only came up with this after theyd already decided their public relations strategy was going to be the gamestop traders are racist

Never too late to say it’s all a commie plot.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Never too late to say it’s all a commie plot.

becoming a centralized economy to own the commies

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Vasukhani posted:

becoming a centralized economy to own the commies

Worked for de gaulle

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

PawParole posted:

the American empire was at its apex when their were only 20 state, I agree. California and Texas joining the union was when things started going downhill.

It did literally escalate the free/slave state balance that led to the Civil War

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/kitty_donaldson/status/1355079966753497088?s=20
did the brits make up this number

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I don't think that many people live in hong ko SEVEN MILLION?!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
why did China join the US against the Soviets in Afghanistan. seems like a stupid move

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
There is rumor of HK government taking the step of disallowing dual citizenship soon, the softer approach probably would require high level? civil servants not holding foreign passport and British BNO. And more extreme approach would be taking the election right away from the BNO holders. Which way HK will go in Carrie Lam's remaining term I believe depends entirely on Sino-British diplomatic interaction. Personally, I don't think Boris Johnson has done many over-the-top thing against China, unlike Pompeo and Scomo from down under. But Beijing seem to be pretty upset about UK's new BNO policy.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

indigi posted:

why did China join the US against the Soviets in Afghanistan. seems like a stupid move

Because of Soviet intrusion into their sphere of influence with Korea / Vietnam

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Grapplejack posted:

Because of Soviet intrusion into their sphere of influence with Korea / Vietnam

China also had a big relationship falling out with the Soviet Union under Khrushchev which created bad blood, not mention making
them rivals for spheres of influence in Asia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Soviet_split

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

indigi posted:

lol wut

China launched a full scale ground invasion of North Vietnam while a Soviet carrier was docked in Cam Ranh Bay

the only reason there weren't Chinese advisors embedded with the muhahedeen directly was because the American advisors were already there

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
China was as probably closer to war with the Soviets from 1970 on than the US was with the USSR

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I am not convinced Mao actually wanted to have war with Soviet, see how fast China and Russia settled down on all border disputes in the late 90s. Mao probably wanted to use the military movement and skirmish to send US signal that they are ready to deal. Mao also asked that author of Red Star Over China to send Nixon invitation over Time magazine around the same time, but the Americans couldn't understand the subtle gestures.

But it's true Mao never liked Soviet that much. His revolutionary doctrine of countryside surround cities is so different from classical Marxist Leninist proletariat revolution theory. And Stalin was hedging his bet between the CCP and KMT before CCP finally won the civil war. If Mao didn't fought to a tie in Korean peninsula to prove PRC's worth, he couldn't get the Soviet support of 156 heavy industrial projects. There was no reason for PRC to trust Soviet that much, the Soviet externally was acting like an imperial hegemon, not that the Soviet shouldn't act based on her own interest.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

China launched a full scale ground invasion of North Vietnam while a Soviet carrier was docked in Cam Ranh Bay

this also seems stupid

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Lots of US officials didn't realize the Sino-soviet split was happening at the time, some were convinced it was a trick for years after. US nuclear war planning into the late 1960s called for strikes against both the USSR and China, even if the war was previously confined to against just one of them.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/theintercept/status/1355132962153623552?s=19

The Intercept pivoting from Russiagate bullshit to Yellow Peril bullshit

Glenn was right to leave these losers

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
one can argue Glenn shouldn't have made a Faustian deal with a billionaire in the first place

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I don't see how what China is doing is in any way better than the NYPD hyper-surveillance of Muslims post-9/11 or the LAPD hounding the black community for, uh, ever

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

quote:

Between the two couples, police recovered 168 religious audio files deemed illegal, likely because they were connected to an Islamic movement, Tablighi Jamaat, that advocates practicing Islam as it was practiced when the Prophet Muhammad was alive.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

Glenn is also a loser

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

indigi posted:

Glenn is also a loser

this

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

Grapplejack posted:

I don't see how what China is doing is in any way better than the NYPD hyper-surveillance of Muslims post-9/11 or the LAPD hounding the black community for, uh, ever

The US is far from blameless but investigating people's computers to arrest them for illegal religious activity is one of the few things we aren't doing.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Sing Along posted:

The US is far from blameless but investigating people's computers to arrest them for illegal religious activity is one of the few things we aren't doing.

ah yeah at some point those religious freaks run the government

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Sing Along posted:

The US has been monitoring Tablighi Jamaat specifically since 9/11.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
https://fair.org/home/nyts-china-syndrome/

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sing Along posted:

that very much depends on your religion of choice

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Sing Along posted:

Nice clock Ahmed!

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
I haven't read every post in this thread but it seems to mostly be about Asia. Does it make sense to keep calling it the Eurasia thread? There is a seperate Europe thread, so I was thinking it makes sense to call this one the Asia thread.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I think it’s called Eurasia because people occasionally discuss Russia/eastern bloc stuff

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

So will the mods finally be the ones to decide what is asia and europe?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Lostconfused posted:

So will the mods finally be the ones to decide what is asia and europe?

brave

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
We give all Soviet topics honorary Asian status.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

this was originally the asia thread but it got changed to eurasia bc people kept talking about russia related things, pay attention mod dweeb

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011
Marx lumped russia and china and india together in saying they had an asiatic mode of production so may as well keep the same energy here

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
:ok:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Speaking of which, another set of protests happened today in Russia. I seen estimates of around 5,000 in Moscow.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Some Indo China news

https://twitter.com/TungNgoCNA/status/1355770153577840642?s=20

Also,

CPV posted:

The 13th Congress draft has set an agenda to make Vietnam a modern industrialized developing country and elevate it from the lower-middle income group by 2025.

The CPV will celebrate its centenary in 2030, when it aims to see Vietnam as a “developed country with modern industry and join the upper-middle income group.”

“By 2045, when Vietnam celebrates its founding centenary, Vietnam will become a developed and high-income group country,” the statement said.

Vietnam has its own Industrial 2025 and 2 centennial goals too.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 20:39 on Jan 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

twoday posted:

I haven't read every post in this thread but it seems to mostly be about Asia. Does it make sense to keep calling it the Eurasia thread? There is a seperate Europe thread, so I was thinking it makes sense to call this one the Asia thread.

It's mostly because we tend to discuss Russia and parts of the middle east on occasion as they get impacted by regional stuff, so Eurasia is appropriate imo