Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My wheel is on the FedEx truck for delivery tomorrow. Not surprised I won't get it today, FedEX tracking is always very optimistic. Just excited to have a new racing wheel, and one that doesn't look like a fisher-price toy like the Logitech wheels do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Monthly Automobilista 2 update. Ginetta Jrs are in the new patch (officially removing the only reason I still had Project Cars installed), Spa 1993, the 1999 Chevy Omega Stock Car (the Brazilian Holden Commodore apparently) and Group C cars (Sauber Mercedes C9 and Porsche 962C) are coming next month.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

njsykora posted:

Ginetta Jrs, Spa 1993 and Group C

Holy poo poo yes!

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
What's the best VR right now for Iracing, I was using an oculas rift that someone lent me, but is there anything higher resolution?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The HP Reverb G2 is the highest res headset on the market, the other major option is the Oculus Quest 2, which requires a soul tax to be paid to King Zuckerberg (and a seperate purchase of a decent USB-C cable to connect it to the PC but that's only $20 or so) but is half the price of the Reverb for not much of a resolution drop. Then if FOV is the important factor there's still the Valve Index which is lower res but way higher FOV and price.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

njsykora posted:

The HP Reverb G2 is the highest res headset on the market, the other major option is the Oculus Quest 2, which requires a soul tax to be paid to King Zuckerberg (and a seperate purchase of a decent USB-C cable to connect it to the PC but that's only $20 or so) but is half the price of the Reverb for not much of a resolution drop. Then if FOV is the important factor there's still the Valve Index which is lower res but way higher FOV and price.

I would expect that framerate is as important as resolution. Do all of these do 120hz?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Reverb G2 only does 90hz.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah I think the Index is the only one that goes above 90hz (up to 144hz). Reverb and Quest 2 are both 90hz.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
This is only anecdotal, since I don't own one, but have talked to someone who did. The Reverb G2 has an inline power box on the cable and you can apparently kill it by plugging things in the wrong order. And if you do end up killing it, you have to get a new headset cable. The guy ended up returning it and getting an Index. Just something to be cautious about.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

John carmack has hinted that the quest 2 could do 120hz, but nothing concrete has come of that yet

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah they've generally made good on promised future features of the Quests, but always buy stuff on what it does now, not what they say it could do in the future.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

iRacing, and Forza Motorsport 7 are my go to racing games on PC, but i'm downloading Project CARS 2, Assetto Corsa, and Automobilista 2, so I should have the best of everything even if its spread out across multiple games.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I said come in! posted:

iRacing, and Forza Motorsport 7 are my go to racing games on PC, but i'm downloading Project CARS 2, Assetto Corsa, and Automobilista 2, so I should have the best of everything even if its spread out across multiple games.

drat that's a sexy wheel

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
I just ran the Compress Files tool in Content Manager for AC (found under Content - Tools [duh]), and it saved me a whopping 168 GBs of space! Highly recommended.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Does anyone here do Richard Burns Rally? If so I have some questions that I can take to PM rather than clog up the thread with a bunch of esoteric BS for a 15 year old rally game.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Just post, also yes installing RSRBR is still that tedious.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
For what it's worth, Dirt 2.0 is currently 75% off on stream.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Well, I managed to get RBRPro from somewhere, and I'm trying to figure out if that's just as good? There's also the CZ plugin (which I think RBRPro uses) and now the Hungarian one which is supposed to be even better. Also RSRBR I guess? And RBRPro is bad because it steals from content creators?

The long and short of it is that there are umpteen different variants which everyone says is better, and anytime someone on reddit asks for advice they get 20 different incompatible pieces of advice. For example some dude posted a thread today and there's anything but a coherent answer. Reddit is horseshit but I'm not sure a better place for that stuff, so I was hoping to find someone here who knows wtf is going on with all that.

Edit: I have and love DR 2.0 but wanted to try out RBR since everyone talks about how much better it is. I'm guessing a lot of that is nonsense, but I'd still like to try it.

Edit 2: I also don't want to get a virus from this poo poo and everything is on even shadier sites than trucksim mods.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
It's been a while since I last installed RSRBR, but if you get it running it's really great. You get lots of tracks, they had the option to switch the surface of any(?) track at will, and a lot of the mod tracks look fantastic even on the old engine. HOWEVER, it was such a pain in the rear end I haven't and probably won't do it again. Even if it still feels better than Dirt Rally imo.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

For what my opinion is worth, RBR is massively overrated in terms of how much fun it is compared to how much of a nightmare it is to get working properly. It's good, but nowhere near worth the time and effort that goes into installing all the mods, patches and launchers needed to make it work properly on modern machines. At this point a lot of the people who go on and on about how superior RBR is are people who bought it in 2005 and have just never stopped playing it and it feels very dated in the same way as Grand Prix Legends if you're coming to it without that nostalgia.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Richard Burns Rally is an absolute classic, but it's also an absolute classic. Very dated sim now, and there are way better rally sims out, and a new one or sometimes even two, come out yearly, so there's no shortage of rally sims currently to play. RBR gained its cult status because it came out at a time when the racing sim genre was on life support for awhile, but now the genre is the biggest its ever been and there's no shortage of current gen racing sims that will fit exactly what you're looking for.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I'm happy with DR 2.0 and WRC9 in all honesty, it was almost more of a "curiosity" type thing than a "I MUST HAVE THE MOST REALISTIC." If I really want realistic I'll take my WRX onto some forest roads and go ham.

So I think I'm not going to bother - thanks for the feedback. If I ever decide I seriously want to do it and put in the work, I'll do so.

I just wish WRC9 had telemetry so that my DDU/LEDs worked - it's really fun even if not the most realistic, and the FFB seems to be more of like a vibrate type thing than real FFB. I at least found good settings for DR 2.0 with my Simucube 2 Pro.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

shortspecialbus posted:

I'm happy with DR 2.0 and WRC9 in all honesty, it was almost more of a "curiosity" type thing than a "I MUST HAVE THE MOST REALISTIC." If I really want realistic I'll take my WRX onto some forest roads and go ham.

I wouldn't even say RBR is more realistic - I wouldn't know honestly - it just felt better to me. Or rather it did the last time I tried, which was around the release of Dirt Rally 1. That goes for the FFB but also the stages. I think quite a few of the mod stages are actually real?

Anyway, the point stands: It's such a massive hassle I wouldn't bother.

Edit: Lol, according to my own OP it's "relatively straight forward" :haw: I must've written that before my last attempt. (Deleted as not to lead people astray)

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 3, 2021

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

GhostDog posted:

Edit: Lol, according to my own OP it's "relatively straight forward" :haw: I must've written that before my last attempt. (Deleted as not to lead people astray)

Your web of lies is crashing in upon you.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
What I've often heard of RBR over the years is that it does the "this is basically goddamn impossible, so it must be realistic" bit, and then actual drivers will play it and be like "uh, no car on Earth handles this poorly."

But I might be mixing that up with another game. It's been a long time since I thought about RBR.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
I think that might've been GPL. It didn't help that the original default setups were completely hosed.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The older school racing sims really hosed up the genre. They gave people the completely wrong impressions, and taught players bad habits. There are some really bad myths and misconceptions about racing sims and realism.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time
If you want to try RBR there is a very easy setup (likely what the op referred to) you can find by googling richard burns rally steam. It should lead you straight to a steam discussion thread that has all you need including VR option. Presumably that would be enough for you to decide if you want to then delve further into different mods and such.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

I said come in! posted:

The older school racing sims really hosed up the genre. They gave people the completely wrong impressions, and taught players bad habits. There are some really bad myths and misconceptions about racing sims and realism.

What are the most realistic sims out there, then? How can you tell the difference between difficult for difficulty's sake and difficult because this really is how hard it is to drive [thing]? Pure curiosity, as I barely even drive cars in real life (city slicker here). F1 2020 and a G29 wheel setup are my first and only experiences with sim racing because I thought F1 cars looked cool, so I have no real basis of comparison.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

AC is realistic. And my frame of reference is the real stuff I’ve driven on track. GTR M3s, 911 GT3 RS’ etc.

I cannot wait to get this acc update. Donington is my favourite track irl.
Does anyone know if they’re likely to offer updated graphics for series x like some games have??? I hope so as the pc version looks amazing now!

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
None of them are “realistic” and each has their strengths. I prefer assetto corsa because it doesn’t subscribe to the belief that less grip is more realistic. And the thousands of mod cars and tracks.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Fhqwhgads posted:

What are the most realistic sims out there, then? How can you tell the difference between difficult for difficulty's sake and difficult because this really is how hard it is to drive [thing]? Pure curiosity, as I barely even drive cars in real life (city slicker here). F1 2020 and a G29 wheel setup are my first and only experiences with sim racing because I thought F1 cars looked cool, so I have no real basis of comparison.

Realism isn't really something we can judge, none of us know what an F1 car is like to drive. Empty Box did a video a long while ago (and Niels did a good one as well) about how the aim should be more about perception, does it feel realistic to us at home with our toy wheels. Like I don't know how the Nissan GT-R Nismo is like to drive in real life, but you always hear it talked about as this weighty beast that is unstoppable in a straight line but loses ground in the corners, which is how it is in every game I've driven it in so it feels right.

Chasing the "most realistic" ideal is a fool's errand, because what that means will be different to everyone. Some people insist rFactor 2 is the most realistic, while others absolutely hate how it feels to play, same with iRacing, same with Assetto Corsa, same with Dirt Rally, same with Automobilista 2. There is only the game you like most.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Shine posted:

What I've often heard of RBR over the years is that it does the "this is basically goddamn impossible, so it must be realistic" bit, and then actual drivers will play it and be like "uh, no car on Earth handles this poorly."

But I might be mixing that up with another game. It's been a long time since I thought about RBR.

I am aware of a number of real rally drivers that play Dirt Rally 2.0 and say that it's real enough as far as they're concerned, they don't really have any complaints about it that I've heard, although they're all of the mind that a computer sim is always going to be a computer sim with inherent limitations, and that's probably right unless you can get into the massive motion rigs and such, and even then.

I've already moved on from the RBR idea as it was more of a whim than anything well thought out and it sounds like more trouble than it's worth when I already really enjoy DR 2.0 and WRC9.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
It's not possible to properly simulate physics such that a sim could map to "real" driving without developing specifically to recreate one car with a whole lot of computing power behind it, and even then they're just seen as "best we can do" type efforts.

Ultimately consumer-grade sims will either focus on tuning for primarily feel (like ACC) and let the physics work as an approximation that works best for that end, or on baseline physics behaviour (like iRacing or rf2) where they sacrifice some realistic "feel" for a more consistent model that interacts properly with the simulated world.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Vando posted:

It's not possible to properly simulate physics such that a sim could map to "real" driving without developing specifically to recreate one car with a whole lot of computing power behind it, and even then they're just seen as "best we can do" type efforts.

Ultimately consumer-grade sims will either focus on tuning for primarily feel (like ACC) and let the physics work as an approximation that works best for that end, or on baseline physics behaviour (like iRacing or rf2) where they sacrifice some realistic "feel" for a more consistent model that interacts properly with the simulated world.

Can you cite what you're referring to with ACC tuning physics for feel rather than realism? Because every single blog/forum post from Kunos has outlined how their physics work, be it tire model or wet track modeling, and it sounds like it's the other way around. This isn't the first time this has come up in the thread and I don't really understand where it's coming from other than iRacing obviously being THE BEST with realism and anything else that isn't rfactor must be fudging things.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I can't find the (admittedly old) post where they first talked about this, but it was when they had the issues with the weird slippery kerbs and they talked about how the transition between surfaces wasn't modelled directly, the model was tuned per surface and the contact patches reacted based on "dominant" surface type.

Also that's not to say their approach is wrong or worse, just different. Lots of people think it feels better that way and the issues have been limited to odd edge cases vs something like iracing's consistent temperature oddities.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I just watched some of Sim Racing Garage's review of the Fanatec CSL Hub. All I can say is OOOOF. They should not have released that.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Yeah that looks like a piece of poo poo. The CSL p1 and mclaren rims are decent if a bit cheap feeling but that's just awful.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Looks like the flex could be fixed a bit by someone with a couple metal braces and shims, but yeah. Dang. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Will do a report when mine lands next week but looking at the reviews I think people need to tone down their expectations a bit, this is a genuinely entry-level bit of kit. If you really want a larger wheel (which seems to be where the hub falls down most) then you should really just be buying the WRC wheel.