Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

How on earth did you keep him alive past the halls teeming with APA, .223 minigun turrets and angry security robots?

(I guess you could have just left him on the foyer but that doesn't seem very fun)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Funky Valentine posted:

Marcus in NV mentioning that he was on the oil rig is funny because it's like, gently caress no, no one brought you there because you get shredded to poo poo.

Ian was canonically at Necropolis (where he got killed), and wasn't that a similar situation

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
starting to get the feeling bethesda essential'd companions because they didn't want to keep track of who was most likely to die at X place.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

RangerKarl posted:

starting to get the feeling bethesda essential'd companions because they didn't want to keep track of who was most likely to die at X place.

All except the one who actually needed it, Sydney (at least for the duration of the team-up), who's so fragile I had to fall back on having her wait at the start of an Archives zone, clear the whole thing, come back and move her to the next entrance, and repeat. And then console move her to Underworld so she'd actually make the trip.
Rip all those alternate timelines where she got sentry botted to death. Over and over.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Ian was canonically at Necropolis (where he got killed), and wasn't that a similar situation

I legitimately got upset when companions would die in FO1 and 2. Moreso in FO1 because you couldn't even protect them with gear.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

I religiously stimpacked DogMeat every time he ran through a laser forcefield, and dragged that stupid mutt kicking and screaming through the entire game alive.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Katsuma posted:

I religiously stimpacked DogMeat every time he ran through a laser forcefield, and dragged that stupid mutt kicking and screaming through the entire game alive.

You're a stronger man than I. I gave up on Ian and him after my tenth save reload watching those dumbasses walk through the forcefields over and over.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Orange Crush Rush posted:

yep, and dogmeat got zapped by a Mariposa forcefield

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Dog meat canonically dies to forcefield a. You can't escape death's design.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

RangerKarl posted:

How on earth did you keep him alive past the halls teeming with APA, .223 minigun turrets and angry security robots?

(I guess you could have just left him on the foyer but that doesn't seem very fun)

I... honestly don't remember. I think I rolled with Sulik, Cassidy, and marcus most of the game, got them Power Armor when I could. Maybe we were just over-levelled?

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

I've never been able to bring companions anywhere but that front lobby of the oil rig without them being murked. But then again, I'm bad at videogames, so whatever.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

oh jay posted:

Dog meat canonically dies to forcefield a. You can't escape death's design.

https://www.awkwardzombie.com/comic/dead-meat

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Fallout 2 had a mechanic where companions only had a random chance to also level up when the player did. They made up for it by making the stat difference between levels more dramatic for companions (they could gain more AC and AP as well as health and skill growth) and increasing the likelihood to level up if they hadn't for a while, but that also meant you could get unlucky and have a weak companion for a stretch of time whom you have to baby through very difficult parts of the game.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

moot the hopple posted:

Fallout 2 had a mechanic where companions only had a random chance to also level up when the player did. They made up for it by making the stat difference between levels more dramatic for companions (they could gain more AC and AP as well as health and skill growth) and increasing the likelihood to level up if they hadn't for a while, but that also meant you could get unlucky and have a weak companion for a stretch of time whom you have to baby through very difficult parts of the game.

I can't tell if you're loving with me or not.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Acerbatus posted:

Wiki posted:

In Fallout 2, each companion has a fixed number (typically, 4-6) of predefined levels called "stages" in the form of multiple alternative models for them with different statistics. Each time the player character gains a level, every current companion has a chance to go up a stage i.e. change to a more powerful model. A companion starts with a base model, then advances to stage 1, 2 etc.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

This is the most western CRPG poo poo imaginable.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Lmao, what a time to be alive.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Running a melee build in F4 and a random raider dropped a Relentless Super Sledge while I had 6 perk points stacked up, so I guess I'm a maxed luck build now

Also reminded of how annoying the perk system can be when you have to basically invest 20-30 levels in perk taxes just to get stuff like basic settlement functionality

Perfect Potato fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jan 30, 2021

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Perfect Potato posted:

Running a melee build in F4 and a random raider dropped a Relentless Super Sledge while I had 6 perk points stacked up, so I guess I'm a maxed luck build now

Also reminded of how annoying the perk system can be when you have to basically invest 20-30 levels in perk taxes just to get stuff like basic settlement functionality

melee builds in FO4 are hilariously busted, but only if you use VATS all the time to ignore blocks. Strength continuously scales melee damage and you can spam drugs(which are easy to make and can be made to last a really long time) to get insane strength stats.

With stats like these you don't even need an AP hungry weapon like a super sledge. Get a regular combat knife and just teleport around the map instakilling everything.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Acerbatus posted:

He isn't. Older CRPGs are just a mess of mechanics that really make no sense in hindsight. There's most likely a mod somewhere to make them always level at specific times.

Paul Revere 3000 posted:

I've never been able to bring companions anywhere but that front lobby of the oil rig without them being murked. But then again, I'm bad at videogames, so whatever.

Not sure how much your own gamer skills matter when you barely have any control of them besides telling them "please don't loving shoot me to pieces". The Oil Rig is brutal even with a minmaxed build, and your companions definitely do not have a minmaxed build ever.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Man, as boring as FO4 can get, Nuka-World is still strangely fun, at least for me.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Nuka World is the only place in all of FO4 that has even a semblance of a personality.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I'm playing Nuka-World right now, and grinding against bullet sponge Nukalurks so that I can have more unfunny dialogue with the one dimensionally evil raiders is not fun. In my main save, I just didn't do the main quest, cleared out the Raiders and gave it back to the traders.

Nuka World is where the problems of gutting the dialogue system and having a voiced protagonist REALLY show. Not sure why the VA was told to do a lot of the lines in the :smug: voice, but that's more an issue of the game prioritising the WACKY SARCASTIC LOL SO FUNNY one-liners over actual writing.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Halser posted:

Not sure how much your own gamer skills matter when you barely have any control of them besides telling them "please don't loving shoot me to pieces". The Oil Rig is brutal even with a minmaxed build, and your companions definitely do not have a minmaxed build ever.

Keeping Dogmeat alive in FO1 when I was eleven is my most impressive video game accomplishment to date, and like everything else that falls under that category it required a mix of machoism, obstinacy, luck, and skill. Don't you dare take that away from me!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Namnesor posted:

Nuka World is the only place in all of FO4 that has even a semblance of a personality.

Yeah, this is pretty much it. The literal theme park location also gels well with Bethesda's theme park campaign design, so there's that as well.

OldMemes posted:

I'm playing Nuka-World right now, and grinding against bullet sponge Nukalurks so that I can have more unfunny dialogue with the one dimensionally evil raiders is not fun.

Eh, I actually prefer some of the Raiders to Boston's characters, though if there was a way to just let the Operators rule everything and kill off the other two groups, that'd be grand. gently caress, if there was a way to finish the game with only my dude and the Operators in charge, I'd take it in a heartbeat. Dudes just want to make money, there's a goal I can get behind.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

FO4 was bad but I did have fun with my chem addicted melee user. It really is broken.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Digital Osmosis posted:

Keeping Dogmeat alive in FO1 when I was eleven is my most impressive video game accomplishment to date, and like everything else that falls under that category it required a mix of machoism, obstinacy, luck, and skill. Don't you dare take that away from me!

I don't remember if it was in this thread, the other new vegas thread, the other fallout thread, or the comic thread so I'm just posting this again

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Has it ever been said why a ghoul was never a player option? I'd love a SM protagonist too but understandable why that hasn't happened for technical reasons.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Namnesor posted:

Far Harbor was as good as the rest of FO4 was terrible.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Proletarian Mango posted:

Has it ever been said why a ghoul was never a player option? I'd love a SM protagonist too but understandable why that hasn't happened for technical reasons.

Being healed by radiation is probably too annoying to plan around unless you were gonna make a ghoul game.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

You'd also have to write every interaction in the game with the idea that the player could be a hideous zombie, or else the wasteland would be unusually accepting compared to how they are in the other games.

You could definitely make a game around it, you could make a game where the player is a super mutant or nightkin or a crashlanded alien, but all of those would take a lot more legwork to fit into the game than just another baseline human.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

CommissarMega posted:

Man, as boring as FO4 can get, Nuka-World is still strangely fun, at least for me.

Nuka World tosses all pretense aside and revels in what Bethesda is good at. Stupid dumb plots laid out over a surprisingly well crafted world despite lacking cohesion. It was always meant to be a theme park.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
EDIT: wrong thread.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I somehow broke the Nuka World main quest by doing it up to the point where you had to start raiding settlements, then killing all the raiders. IDK what flags are supposed to be set after you clear the raiders out, but it seems like they aren't. Or, possibly, Bethesda just didn't bother writing any additional dialog for the slave/trader NPCs in the event that you wiped out the raiders in the park.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

One thing I've been wondering is how much of the weapons the Gun Runners/Crimson Caravan/Van Graffs sell are newly made vs restored pre-war.

I got the impression the Runners were mostly making their own at this point while the others were more salvage reliant.

Do they still respect pre-war names or do they make up their own names for selling?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Sawyer mentioned once that the service rifles the Gun Runners give to the Army are actually just refurbished pre-war models rather than something they're mass producing in the Boneyard, so I don't actually know how much production capability they actually have

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

A Sometimes Food posted:

One thing I've been wondering is how much of the weapons the Gun Runners/Crimson Caravan/Van Graffs sell are newly made vs restored pre-war.

I got the impression the Runners were mostly making their own at this point while the others were more salvage reliant.

Do they still respect pre-war names or do they make up their own names for selling?

The schematics for the Gun Runners are mentioned to be pre-war but presumably they're producing at least some of their stock on site.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

A Sometimes Food posted:

I don't recall any canon confirmation whether the Van Graffs manufacture or restore their wares; my personal opinion tends towards restoration, considering the tech base necessary for energy weapons; the NCR is making pretty big strides, but I don't think they're quite there yet.

The Gun Runners do explicitly manufacture their own guns, not just in New Vegas but also in FO1. McLafferty claims in NV dialogue that all of the NV location's wares are manufactured by the Gun Runners, with Vendortron confirming, and that tracks with the original depiction too.
Side note as I verified this, the Gun Runners are one of the few depictions of a worker cooperative in video games that I've seen, let alone a positive one. Cool.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Yeah I just assumed the Van Graffs had gotten hold of the laser guns that the Enclave had been smuggling in to New Reno

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

The NCR's salvaged power armor is inferior to the real thing. If an entity with the size and finances of the NCR can't figure out power armor, I doubt anyone other than the Enclave / Institute is making new energy weapons. Maybe the scientists at Big Mt.?