Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Good Innvandrer

TegneHanne

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Alhazred posted:

The Good Innvandrer
She went from having a dog to having a picture of said dog? :smith:

(also that other comic looks like it was "drawn" by a young child)

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

-On the way to Navajo Station
-"Good heavens, an Indian!"

Was this intentionally or unintentionally hilarious?

Where did the image of the solitary native American gazing over the action or the scenery as a sign of "this is the West" come from? Real life or fiction?

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Slammy posted:

Hitz and Mrs. (November 1923)

I was curious why Milt Gross would use the common "applesauce" for the bullshit panel instead of his own "Banana Oil!" catchphrase, so I looked it up and it turns out this strip was a month away from Banana Oil's debut. So here he's playing with the concept before he realizes he needs a change of fruit.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Cruel Little Stories

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

amigolupus posted:

Oh, look, Corrie just skinned her own father. Knowing what comes later on really adds to how messed up this all is. :v:

Is this somehow related to why he's apparently incapable of hunting?

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Zerilan posted:

Is this somehow related to why he's apparently incapable of hunting?

It does, yeah. IIRC, (spoilered since it hasn't been posted yet) Ralph used to be the star of his school's hunting team. He was so arrogant that he could hunt anything that he started talking to the prey in those sports games as a joke. One of them was a sheep, who was Corrie's mom, and the two ended up becoming lovers in secret. Then one day, something happened that separated the two, with Ralph not knowing his sheep girlfriend was pregnant at the time. Since then, Ralph has been unable to hunt because he subconsciously imagines the look of terror on his would-be victim's face. So Ralph is pretty much the only predator to have developed empathy in Hellworld. It also happens to make Kell look bad because she married a prey species and she still happily kills other people.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
It's actually a little bit different from that. Ralph and Corrie's mum had moved in together were planning to keep Corrie and raise her as their own, but then the mum died in childbirth and Ralph, realising he couldn't raise Corrie on his own (he was sixteen at the time) gave her up for adoption.

The reason Ralph is trying to kill Kevin so often is that he wants "to spare Kell the heartbreak or being married to a herbivore."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set thinks of them as perks.

Working Daze should have stopped halfway through.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix looks familiar, but I can't place the face.

Cul De Sac ain't wrong.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days (April 19, 1951)

If it weren't for the fact that it's so well drawn, this would be indistinguishable from a modern political cartoon. Amazing.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns That snowman is amazing

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

No Safe Havens on Sundays!

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Ella Cinders

Zorro

Reply All

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Alhazred posted:

The Good Innvandrer

TegneHanne

TGI- I appreciate the simplicity of the switch in color palette between panels 1 and 3. I know aside from a few "find the difference" elements it's just copy pasted, but I think that works sometimes, and anyway yeah the color thing was a nice touch

TH- I've been really enjoying this comic so far

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis from like 2010?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popular Comics

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mikl posted:

Classic Kevin & Kell (May 3-7, 1999)

Ignored the first batch of strips but does Holbrook not understand the difference between shearing and skinning? Also if Corrie is wearing the Ralph skin won't people see her as just being Ralph because of the magic smell bullshit? I'M MAD! MAD. ABOUT. COMICS!

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

amigolupus posted:

I know I've said this before, but gently caress this comic. Detorie just had to sneak in a bit of transphobic bullshit, huh?

Jfc, yeah when I post these that early in the day (it was about 3am EST) then I haven't read them, usually just a skim. loving hell. How many times has he been lovely recently? At least RiR is just twee bullshit.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä

I'm glad to see the artist got enough criticism or self-awareness to stop drawing teenagers as horrible old goblin people.

EDIT: Also I'd like to second My Lovely Horse's comments on OOW and racism.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

When I first started following these threads I kinda liked OBH, because I'm a sucker for "wholesome family" kinds of comics like Family Circus (yes, your Nana is a goon, I didn't feel comfortable telling you this at Christmas). The strip was always "child says pretentiously simple observation devoid of adult context, grandpa looks on proudly that She's Being Raised Right," but it feels like over the years a lot more of the gross hateful stuff has started to bubble up in a way that seems innocuous on first pass (as Manuel said- you skim it, you might not even see it) which in some ways is more insidious than poo poo that's more outright about its hatefulness like Dilbert or whatever that other comic was that people stopped posting.

clarification- I'm not saying OBH is on the same hate-plane as Dilbert or needs to be censored or removed, but I think there's potential harm when hateful opinions are presented in a "cute" or "innocent" kind of way

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I'm sure they could be playing chess on their respective computers/phones, but why wouldn't you just draw a chess board instead? It wouldn't even have to be a good representation. A flat plane on that table with a few blobs on it would probably do the trick.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Reminder to Americans to the East, Brood X is coming this year.

Mary Worth

This is a really weird storyline.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Buck's gonna die.

Andertoons

Flash Gordon

Flash Forward

That's pretty good.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and the case of the very phallic ghost

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

FrumpleOrz posted:

The Lockhorns That snowman is amazing

I like when the lockhorns shakes it up with jokes about shared miseries. The dance one in particular is cute.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

rannum posted:

I like when the lockhorns shakes it up with jokes about shared miseries. The dance one in particular is cute.

I like the Lockhorns and Marital Mirth about the same. They're both decent.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Buck's gonna die.

"You will literally die if you don't get your diet under control."
"Eeeeeeeehhhh I can have one more though, right? Right?"

loving hell :cripes:

SubNat posted:

Moomin and the case of the very phallic ghost

Comic Strips 2021: Beware the Vengeance of the Forgotten Bones!

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Mikl posted:

"You will literally die if you don't get your diet under control."
"Eeeeeeeehhhh I can have one more though, right? Right?"

loving hell :cripes:

95% of the episodes of My 600lb Life

(if Dr. Now ever makes a genuine or parody cameo in RMMD I will lose my poo poo)

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Not enjoying the last few weeks of the Phantom just sitting and watching approvingly while a cop beats the hell out of two unarmed suspects. Yes, we who read this thing obsessively know that what these guys did to the cop was horrific. But that was months ago and lots of people probably just dip in and out.

Also, even if the criminals are terrible, we shouldn't encourage cops to mete out their own justice. That's what the courts are for.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm always curious to know what's going on in these old comics, the bad and the good alike. And with the amount of historic comics this thread posts, I've come to see it as an account of history at least as much as my light entertainment. If I'm reading a historical account, I prefer a full account. In fact, someone could probably do actual academic research based on the kind of stuff you all are meticulously digging up, but that hypothetical someone would need everything, or at the very least need to know where there are gaps. Please don't make yourselves the arbiter of "you don't need to see this".

(No kidding by the way: if a student came up to me in the library and asked for material about comic strips, I'd recommend them a few books but I'd have no qualms to add that there's also this one interesting forums thread.)

Plus if it distresses you personally this much to come across 100 year old racism, maybe you shouldn't be digging through 100 year old comics. This one seems to have thrown you for quite a loop. Please also don't legitimately hurt yourself mentally or emotionally on account of the light entertainment/historic account thread.

The most concise way I can put it (and concise is where I usually get into trouble, so fingers crossed): A large chunk of it is there's some parts of the past that don't feel like they're past enough.

The other sliver of it is the slapdash way I drill down through the archives means this is legitimately the first time I'd run across this particular collision of themes that stink on ice in something I post on a regular basis. Anyway, if I've got sadbrains, it's not because of anything posted in or prepped for the comic strip thread, but I appreciate the wellness check.

Enough about my hangups, though. Click the thumbnail for the missing 2/5/1917, because I'm still not the least bit tempted to put it up without a blast barrier.

So anyway...

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Peanuts (February 3, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Still trying to remember how old Funky is supposed to be that he's getting an operation for glaucoma.

Crankshaft

9 OH MY GOD THAT GAPING MAW AGAIN!

(Zoom zoom zoom....)

This is where I usually call for some cloud gazing, but it just occurred to me that Brooke's laughing mouths remind me of the thylacine. So instead: what other animals do Edda's open mouth remind you of? Because if your answer's "human", you're lying.

Life (With Skippy) (January 29, 1925)

Elsewhere in the issue: BOOBS!

(John Held Jr.)

(Ellison Hoover shares some between-the-wars energy.)

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I don't know what to do with the fact that I now find the dumb joke character in Kevin and Kell the most tragic and sympathetic character in the strip, and somehow those birds are fawning over these other assholes as the saviors of the world when Ralph is the only one who's developed what's necessary for a functional society.

sweeperbravo posted:

When I first started following these threads I kinda liked OBH, because I'm a sucker for "wholesome family" kinds of comics like Family Circus (yes, your Nana is a goon, I didn't feel comfortable telling you this at Christmas). The strip was always "child says pretentiously simple observation devoid of adult context, grandpa looks on proudly that She's Being Raised Right," but it feels like over the years a lot more of the gross hateful stuff has started to bubble up in a way that seems innocuous on first pass (as Manuel said- you skim it, you might not even see it)

I admit, I read that strip, didn't think much of it, and when someone called it out for transphobia I went "Wait, there's transphobia there?" and went back and immediately noticed it. I think part of it is that it's also sort of subtly presented as "kids say the darndest things" and appears wholesome that made me not even realize it was there. It's not like Pat Cross or Branco who are incapable of hiding or being subtle about their transphobia, even if in their comics they were to present it as a kid saying it it would be immediately noticeable how awful and hateful it was being.

That said I do remember goons mostly liking OBH a couple of years ago before I fell out of following the thread, aside from how bad the characters' mouths looked when they were drawn in a side profile, so it does seem like the strip has started to slowly change a bit from just being silly "kids don't understand things" jokes.

Also every time I see the Ninja Kitty saying "RARE" my brain tries to make one of Reuben Bolling's Super-Fun-Pak comics about the guy walking into the bar going "I bet you fifty bucks this animal can answer this question." All I can come up with is either a Pokemon/card game rarity joke, or something about steak.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I don't know what to do with the fact that I now find the dumb joke character in Kevin and Kell the most tragic and sympathetic character in the strip, and somehow those birds are fawning over these other assholes as the saviors of the world when Ralph is the only one who's developed what's necessary for a functional society.

I admit, I read that strip, didn't think much of it, and when someone called it out for transphobia I went "Wait, there's transphobia there?" and went back and immediately noticed it. I think part of it is that it's also sort of subtly presented as "kids say the darndest things" and appears wholesome that made me not even realize it was there. It's not like Pat Cross or Branco who are incapable of hiding or being subtle about their transphobia, even if in their comics they were to present it as a kid saying it it would be immediately noticeable how awful and hateful it was being.

That said I do remember goons mostly liking OBH a couple of years ago before I fell out of following the thread, aside from how bad the characters' mouths looked when they were drawn in a side profile, so it does seem like the strip has started to slowly change a bit from just being silly "kids don't understand things" jokes.

Also every time I see the Ninja Kitty saying "RARE" my brain tries to make one of Reuben Bolling's Super-Fun-Pak comics about the guy walking into the bar going "I bet you fifty bucks this animal can answer this question." All I can come up with is either a Pokemon/card game rarity joke, or something about steak.
"I bet you this cat knows the top level of item drop quality in World of Warcraft."
"You're on."
"RARE!"
"Nope, it's Artifact."
"I told you to buy me Shadowlands."

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

EasyEW posted:

what other animals do Edda's open mouth remind you of?

I can't imagine there's a better match

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2017 Spiderman

1978 comics

Is this the rear end in a top hat who became a millionaire overnight and immediately went full 'gently caress you got mine'? I think he is.

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 31, 2021

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Haifisch posted:

1978 comics

Is this the rear end in a top hat who became a millionaire overnight and immediately went full 'gently caress you got mine'? I think he is.

Yeah, he won a lottery and became a total rear end in a top hat, got ripped off by some bimbo, turned down for political office due to his FYGM attitude, and still lives the bourgeois lifestyle.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Julet Esqu posted:

Not enjoying the last few weeks of the Phantom just sitting and watching approvingly while a cop beats the hell out of two unarmed suspects. Yes, we who read this thing obsessively know that what these guys did to the cop was horrific. But that was months ago and lots of people probably just dip in and out.

Also, even if the criminals are terrible, we shouldn't encourage cops to mete out their own justice. That's what the courts are for.

... I could have sworn he was watching his Luchador friend, who beat up a corrupt cop and stole his clothes, beat up the dudes that helped kidnap a different friend.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Sunday Phantom is a different storyline. He rescued a cop from a high tide cell where he was left to starve and drown and let him beat up the dudes who put him there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise

We haven't seen that story with the bear, right? Is it from a previous comic series or novel or is it just an aside?