Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

OK, actual theory time, I think we're heading for a 'Monica talks Wanda off the ledge' moment where they bond over shared grief for a loved one dying and their survivor's guilt. I think that might be what they were going for when Monica didn't feel the same 'keep out' feeling as Jimmy at the boundary. He doesn't have the need to escape a loss, she did.

I think Vision is still dead, and he's going to have to help Wanda come to acceptance in that. He'll be the one to help her through her grief and to help her let go of him.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Look, all I'm asking is that this series ends with original bathrobed Beyonder appearing out of nowhere

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Look, all I'm asking is that this series ends with original bathrobed Beyonder appearing out of nowhere

Would you settle for Benedict Cumberbatch in a smoking jacket? (I kinda like the idea of them finally calling Strange, he portals in still in his slippers and with his Starbucks in one hand, waves a few sigils and the forcefield vanishes, then he leaves with a "Next time don't get me up before noon unless the world is actually ending")

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I guess, but the bathrobe is just so much better

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

tsob posted:

Did she actually indicate she didn't feel it? The impression I got was she did, but approached anyway and that Jimmy had just been more cautious. He clearly knew there was something around the town; which means he could presumably have approached if he had wanted to do so. That isn't to say that isn't where the show might go, because it sounds like a viable direction. I just think it'd be in spite of that, rather than indicated by it.

There's two aspects of that whole scene that don't get enough appreciation. First is the cop car leaving. We don't actually see it leave, but we hear it leave. After Woo said his "we'll take to from here" we see the officer heading to their car. Then we hear the cop turn around, approach and pass Jimmy and Monica and head back the way it came. I mention this because I read a post on a board wondering about the "disappearing" police car and why it was never mentioned.

Second, we need to take a moment to recognize just how low-key smart and savvy Jimmy Woo was in his initial approach. First let's consider the circumstance. We're three weeks out from "The Blip." SWORD is basically the "Alien Wierdness" agency. So three weeks after the Blip everybody from the President on down thinks they just saw Thanos floating with their morning poo poo. They're probably getting deluged like the FBI was after 9/11 with alien versions of "There's a Muslim looking at me funny, I think he wants to crash a plane into my house!" Which means that if Agent Woo calls them to report a "possibly missing town" they're going to blown him off as another hysterical crank. So he doesn't do that. Instead, he makes a very sane, reasonable request to use some of their hi-tech surveillance gear to look for his missing federal witness. Woo, probably doesn't care that much about their gear.. However he knows inter-agency protocols well enough to know that SWORD is going to send one of their agents to chaperon and use that gear. And that's what Woo really wants - a SWORD agent to recognize that yeah, there's a whole small town missing. Figure Woo made is calls to the known associates of the witness (and probably got through the As in the Westview phone book) before he called SWORD. But he didn't tell SWORD anything about that, preferring to wait until an agent got there to see the weirdness for herself.

The whole thing demonstrates that not only has Jimmy Woo become skilled with close-up magic, he, like Scott, has internalized its philosophies enough to apply them to real-world situations. He used the "distraction" of a normal inter-agency request to bring SWORD to the point where he could reveal the "missing town" part and be believed.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 31, 2021

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Boxman posted:

The "problem" is that that sort of emotional fallout among average people is something that superhero comics, in general, are not particularly well equipped to handle. Which is a shame, because when less ultra-high-stakes storytelling exists in the cape universes, we get cool as hell poo poo like Alias and Gotham Central. But it's doubly difficult for movies & tv, since the budget on those would still be relatively high compared to throwing a monthly book at someone with a good idea.

This makes me think of one time when some random office worker is berating Natasha for giving her condolences for someone who died in a big superhero punchup, and the line is something like "when one of you dies, there might be a clone, or time travel, or maybe they just come back. But dead is dead for us."

I'm sure someone else made the observation in this thread, but, like, 9/11 drove america insane. Imagine if 9/11 also involved a space portal opening over midtown. But all we get is a couple off hand references to the Battle of New York. :shobon:

Whenever this line of thinking comes up, I always remember a bit from Blue Beetle. During one of the various universe-ending crises that DC likes to have every couple of in-universe months, Jaime Reyes is trapped out in space for about a year and has to try and explain his absence to all the people in his life that don't know he's a superhero. So he just says that, during the crisis, he just vanished blip style and woke up in the middle of the desert a year later. This half-assed story completely works because it's the DC universe and everyone knows someone who randomly disappeared into space, was turned into a gorrilla, became a black lantern etc at some point or other and is never brought up again.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Edmund Lava posted:

All the Marvel shows that have been announced are supposed to have these ridiculous budgets.

Since it wil probably be more grounded, I'd imagine Hawkeye is a bit cheaper to make. Unless Steinfeld really didn't want to have this role and Disney just gave her 20 mil per episode to settle the matter, I can't imagine a show about two archers and their dog goofing around, fighting mundane crime would cost anything in the same league as a story of a reality altering witch, which forces a town through sitcom hell.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 31, 2021

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It depends on the locations and scale of the action. It's easy to assume it'll be all low key street crime, but Hawkeye was taking on aliens, robots and super power people all the time in the Avengers and even the single fight scene he had as Ronin in Endgame can't have been cheap given the location, highly choreographed action, all the lighting and the cinematic camera work. And that was just some Yakuza thugs. Hawkeye will probably start lowkey, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if there's some metahuman nonsense in there by the finale.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

McSpanky posted:

Power origin theories: My completely baseless theory about this is that all of the stones have a little bit of each others' powers in them in order to work together, like the cosmic equivalent of voltage converters or something.

There's a thing in the comics called the "Infinity Circuit"

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

cant cook creole bream posted:

Since it wil probably be more grounded, I'd imagine Hawkeye is a bit cheaper to make. Unless Steinfeld really didn't want to have this role and Disney just gave her 20 mil per episode to settle the matter, I can't imagine a show about two archers and their dog goofing around, fighting mundane crime would cost anything in the same league as a story of a reality altering witch, which forces a town through sitcom hell.

They have been filming in Manhattan though which can't be cheap (though maybe not so bad during Covid), I have to imagine all of the Disney+ shows are all expensive as hell

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
All those tracksuit aren't free you know.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Andrew Verse posted:

I have the opposite hope, that Kang is going to get chumped by Ant-Man and we'll never have to hear from him again.

I hope that we never hear from Kang again, but Immortus shows up, and gets chumped right off. And then, in the Young Avengers show/film, Iron Lad shows up. And then, in FF, they meet Rama-Tut...

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Test Pattern posted:

There's a thing in the comics called the "Infinity Circuit"

That kind of explains the "Infinity" aspect of the Stones. When you have all six you get a self-reinforcing feedback loop that boosts all six to, well, infinity. What it doesn't really clarify is how Wanda is apparently using powers from at least three (Mind, Reality and Time) of the Stones and quite possibly all six (Soul to "resurrect" Vision and to bring two new lives (the babies) into existence; Power to blast Monica through multiple walls, fences, etc while also protecting her from serious harm and Space because doesn't it stretch credulity that Agent Vincent popped out of that sewer right at Wanda's house?)

For me, the simplest explanation is that "like calls to like." After Thanos broke/destroyed them, at least some of the Stones' scattered power was drawn back to Earth by two uses of the Stones in quick succession (Hulk doing the UnSnap and Stark eliminating Thanos and friends). When the power arrived, the actual Stones were gone (back to their original timelines). So the collective power housed itself (or at least some of itself) in the only vessel present that could contain and wield it, Wanda (presumably Carol Danvers headed back into space shortly after Thanos was defeated). While Wanda probably doesn't have true "Infinity Power" she's at least got enough to be able to do the things in the show that she's been able to do.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Is Carol at Tony’s funeral?

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

Klungar posted:

Yep.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Klungar posted:

Everyone who survived is in there. Even that kid from Iron Man 3. For some reason.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Desperado Bones posted:

Everyone who survived is in there. Even that kid from Iron Man 3. For some reason.

Tony Stark: [Sarcastically] Cause' we're connected!

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Klungar posted:

Yes and I know this because I was annoyed that she doesn’t have any interaction with Fury here.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Because I have no idea how to steal images from instagram, here is a screen shot. Can anyone identify whats in the top TV on Darcy's top? Spoilered just in case

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Because I have no idea how to steal images from instagram, here is a screen shot. Can anyone identify whats in the top TV on Darcy's top? Spoilered just in case

boobs

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

I was thinking ascian from FF 14 but this is probably more correct.

Everyone posted:

There's two aspects of that whole scene that don't get enough appreciation. First is the cop car leaving. We don't actually see it leave, but we hear it leave. After Woo said his "we'll take to from here" we see the officer heading to their car. Then we hear the cop turn around, approach and pass Jimmy and Monica and head back the way it came. I mention this because I read a post on a board wondering about the "disappearing" police car and why it was never mentioned.

I have also been very curious about this. It would not be hard to show a car doing a u turn.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Consummate Professional posted:

I was thinking ascian from FF 14 but this is probably more correct.

I have also been very curious about this. It would not be hard to show a car doing a u turn.

Sure, but I like the way they did it here. The scene doesn't care about the cops enough to show them doing the U-turn. Their part ended once Woo used them to confirm to Monica that yeah, some weird poo poo is going down what with them denying that Westview exists despite the fact that they're standing next to a sign proclaiming to all and sundry that they are entering Westview, with the town itself visible beyond the sign. So the scene is focusing on Jimmy and Monica. You know the cop car is leaving because you can hear it leaving and surely you're not some kind of overgrown, inattentive six year old child, are you? Granted that I do need to re-watch the scene to see if closed-captioning notes that the cop car is turning around and leaving.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Honestly, that’s not the first time I’ve watched a show and noticed someone getting into a car and then only hearing the sound of a car driving by, but not the visual of it. I gotta assume there’s some kind of cost-saving reason for it.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Also if the car drove into Westview they would immediately see what's happening and undercut the tension and surprise of what happens to the drone then Monica

Woden
May 6, 2006

Everyone posted:

Second, we need to take a moment to recognize just how low-key smart and savvy Jimmy Woo was in his initial approach. First let's consider the circumstance. We're three weeks out from "The Blip." SWORD is basically the "Alien Wierdness" agency. So three weeks after the Blip everybody from the President on down thinks they just saw Thanos floating with their morning poo poo. They're probably getting deluged like the FBI was after 9/11 with alien versions of "There's a Muslim looking at me funny, I think he wants to crash a plane into my house!" Which means that if Agent Woo calls them to report a "possibly missing town" they're going to blown him off as another hysterical crank. So he doesn't do that. Instead, he makes a very sane, reasonable request to use some of their hi-tech surveillance gear to look for his missing federal witness. Woo, probably doesn't care that much about their gear.. However he knows inter-agency protocols well enough to know that SWORD is going to send one of their agents to chaperon and use that gear. And that's what Woo really wants - a SWORD agent to recognize that yeah, there's a whole small town missing. Figure Woo made is calls to the known associates of the witness (and probably got through the As in the Westview phone book) before he called SWORD. But he didn't tell SWORD anything about that, preferring to wait until an agent got there to see the weirdness for herself.

The whole thing demonstrates that not only has Jimmy Woo become skilled with close-up magic, he, like Scott, has internalized its philosophies enough to apply them to real-world situations. He used the "distraction" of a normal inter-agency request to bring SWORD to the point where he could reveal the "missing town" part and be believed.

It went down the way it did because the writers thought it would be a cool reveal for the viewers.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Nerdietalk posted:

Honestly, that’s not the first time I’ve watched a show and noticed someone getting into a car and then only hearing the sound of a car driving by, but not the visual of it. I gotta assume there’s some kind of cost-saving reason for it.

They have limited amount of time and it's better spent focusing on the characters that matter. Showing the car drive off doesn't actually accomplish anything, it just wastes time. Showing the two important characters talking moves the plot forward.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Woden posted:

It went down the way it did because the writers thought it would be a cool reveal for the viewers.

Which takes nothing away from the idea that within the world of the show this was a cool, clever way for Jimmy Woo to approach this situation. Jimmy's kind of socially awkward and he's probably a little used to not being taken seriously (He had "No, sir, softball season's over" right there ready). So the idea that he knew this was a situation that needed a fairly rapid response and keyed his request to get that response (by getting a SWORD agent with equipment as a witness) makes sense.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Codependent Poster posted:

I think Vision is still dead, and he's going to have to help Wanda come to acceptance in that. He'll be the one to help her through her grief and to help her let go of him.

Vision is clearly 'different' in some way to the rest of the sitcom cast. He questions the other inhabitants (which wouldn't happen if he were subject to the same conscious/sub-conscious casting that Wanda seems to be doing) and when Wanda had those lucid moments she clearly decided to deceive him (again, not necessary if she could just reset him as well).

So yeah, still dead but I would be disappointed if he was entirely dead and what we are seeing is nothing more than a grief-hallucination made real. This is MCU they can still write themselves a happy ending.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
So when's someone gonna mention it's real weird that Wanda got preggers from a robot

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

BrianWilly posted:

So when's someone gonna mention it's real weird that Wanda got preggers from a robot

Next week, Wanda and Vision just sit around making fun of old movies. So remember just repeat to yourself, "It's just a show, I should really just relax.”

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

GigaPeon posted:

Next week, Wanda and Vision just sit around making fun of old movies. So remember just repeat to yourself, "It's just a show, I should really just relax.”

now this i can get into

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Did Marvel release this many trailers for The Mandalorian?

I know there's no real way of telling, but I get the sense that Disney isn't seeing the numbers for this program that they wanted to see.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Mid-season trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m9YqFyzQwQ

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Open Source Idiom posted:

I know there's no real way of telling, but I get the sense that Disney isn't seeing the numbers for this program that they wanted to see.

Never question Disneys promotion tactic or scheduling. Only madness lies that way.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Here’s at least some speculative breakdown on how the shown is doing, and it’s not great.

If Disney isn’t listening to Parrot Analytics itself they’re using similar metrics. Which is generally the explanation of why AoS kept chugging along while all the Netflix series were canned.

Of course it’s also possible that Disney is behind that narrative, and seeded that article to justify “what we we’re going to do anyway”, so take it with a grain of salt.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Edmund Lava posted:

Here’s at least some speculative breakdown on how the shown is doing, and it’s not great.

If Disney isn’t listening to Parrot Analytics itself they’re using similar metrics. Which is generally the explanation of why AoS kept chugging along while all the Netflix series were canned.

Of course it’s also possible that Disney is behind that narrative, and seeded that article to justify “what we we’re going to do anyway”, so take it with a grain of salt.

I mean, heaven forbid WandaVision doesn’t have the same social media buzz as the worldwide juggernaut of Baby Yoda. Better have Billy or Tommy dress up as Yoda for Halloween a la ET.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Does it really matter if it's doing good? It's only 9 episodes long, is already finished production and isn't a story you can comfortably make a sequel to any way. You could conceivably have a different show starring those characters at another point in their lives, but that would presumably depend not just on what this show does in it's finale but on what happens in Dr. Strange 2 and possibly other movies too. It's not like Disney is going to slow down on making TV shows for the MCU based of one bad entry either, and the other shows like Falcon or Hawkeye are different enough that this show having a poor reception doesn't really mean much to them either.

It might conceivably give Disney pause on making MCU shows that aren't just straight action tales like Falcon or Loki, but I doubt it'll stop even that on it's own and there'd probably need to be at least two non-action shows with lukewarm to bad reception before they consider not making any more. I'm not sure what the next one in that vein even is. Maybe She-Hulk? Which is a year or more off, at the very least.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

She-Hulk is supposed to be a legal comedy and I would be very upset if they gave up on that concept. I’m sure it’ll be fine though. Worst case they rethink these mega budgets and like I care. It’s not like I’m getting any of that money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
I like the idea that's being put out for a series featuring Jimmy Woo and Darcy Lewis as a kind of Marvel X-Files with them investigating weird crap that doesn't necessary get on the Avengers' radar. WandaVision has a concept that seems a little too specific to repeat, but Lewis and Woo as the Marvel Mulder and Scully? I could totally see that.