Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Poque posted:

I love the shootout and would absolutely love a HRD to settle a tie over runners on second

cursed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Regular season: tie after 9, or 12 innings if you want a little extra

Postseason: play till someone wins

This isn’t that complicated

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I very much enjoy the shootout but I don't think it actually compares to a HRD in any meaningful way.

But yeah, if you don't want extra innings you just do ties in the regular season. Its not that hard and no one will care if over 162 games a team has 3 ties.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

bawfuls posted:

Regular season: tie after 9, or 12 innings if you want a little extra

Postseason: play till someone wins

This isn’t that complicated

I would love this so much, especially as a fan of a west coast team who is now stuck on the East coast.

It’s not likely to happen and that makes me sad.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
runner on second in extras is dumb poo poo

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Poque posted:

I love the shootout and would absolutely love a HRD to settle a tie over runners on second

Really hope you are in a tiny minority here. That kind of gimmick would he enough to sour me completely.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

N:

https://twitter.com/BlakeHarrisTBLA/status/1355722043027677187

V: I love the DH

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

GalacticAcid posted:

Really hope you are in a tiny minority here. That kind of gimmick would he enough to sour me completely.

it's no more gimmicky than runners on 2nd. Obviously I want the old status quo way over either of these dumb options

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I don't know why it's imperative to end games after 12 innings like that's some hard cutoff for people to no longer like baseball. Insanely long 18 innings games are very rare and when they happen they're fun. If you don't want to watch anymore just turn it off, it doesn't make you a bad fan if you don't watch all 162 games beginning to end.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Yeah, the Jays 19 inning game on Canada day was one of my favorite games ever. Even though they lost. Ryan Goins (infielder who was pitching at the time) getting out of a bases loaded jam in the 18th with a double play was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. I think Darwin Barney (another infielder) gave up the go ahead home run the next inning but this is all off the top of my head

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

If you don’t tell all your friends to turn the game on because it’s the 17th inning, then you aren’t a real baseball fan.

Super late extra inning games are one of the coolest and most unique parts of the sport.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
I, too, enjoy complaining about free extra baseball.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Falling asleep at 1am after watching teams infuriatingly strand runners or miraculouly tie each other for hours and then waking up feeling like poo poo and checking to see that your dumb team lost in the stupidest and most frustrating way possible actually owns the 3 times it happens a season.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Extra inning games are probably hardest on the players themselves. Especially if it happens the last game of a series and screws with travel.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Extremely long games are amazing and rule changes that reduce the probability of them happening are awful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7hXOxrozxM

"Chris Davis hasn't pitched since high school."
"So, his arm is fresh."

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Welcome to the Dark Side :getin:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I like extra innings and there's nothing quite like the feeling of a west coast trip where you go to bed and wake up only to discover the game is still going. Losing that feels like a tragedy. But I certainly can understand why teams would want to eliminate it for the wear and tear it does on the players.

But runner on second is not the solution, nor is the possibly worst idea of a HRD. Again. Ties.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
I too love to work double hours for others entertainment

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

uggy posted:

I too love to work double hours for others entertainment

wait'll you hear about the playoffs dude, five, ten, fifteen entire extra games and if you go long enough without ever doing it people start to think you're "bad"

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Keep the extra innings rules, but have a lucky fan be the runner on second to start the inning.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Congrats to the Angels on getting a pitcher:

https://twitter.com/danconnolly2016/status/1356259633313296385

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Dutchy posted:

wait'll you hear about the playoffs dude, five, ten, fifteen entire extra games and if you go long enough without ever doing it people start to think you're "bad"

They get paid more if they make the playoffs. There’s a pool for the players to split

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

FlamingLiberal posted:

TBH I think that expanded playoffs encourages teams to refrain from blowing their teams up to some degree

Perhaps, but it also definitely disincentives higher-than-median payroll spending. Teams like the Indians and Rays and everyone else can slash costs and get worse, but at the end of the year when they make the playoffs at 84 wins or finish 2 games out of the playoffs at 80 wins, they can turn to the fans and to the media and say "See? We were competitive, we know what we're doing, gently caress you. :smug:"

Knowing that the playoffs are more or less a crapshoot, why try spend on a 98-win team when an 88-win team will probably be enough to get you in?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Have you considered gently caress the DH?

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Lol introducing both ties and expanded playoffs would be a crime against the sport. You'd have teams making the playoffs with 75 wins

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

General Dog posted:

Perhaps, but it also definitely disincentives higher-than-median payroll spending. Teams like the Indians and Rays and everyone else can slash costs and get worse, but at the end of the year when they make the playoffs at 84 wins or finish 2 games out of the playoffs at 80 wins, they can turn to the fans and to the media and say "See? We were competitive, we know what we're doing. :smug:"

Knowing that the playoffs are more or less a crapshoot, why try spend on a 98-win team when an 88-win team will probably be enough to get you in?
This combined with more postseason games = more national tv money is the entire reason owners have such a hardon for expanded playoffs.

If there were even a slim chance that expanded playoffs might kick off an escalating spending spree between teams, owners would run from it. They want it cause it would let them make more money and spend less.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Mustached Demon posted:

Have you considered gently caress the DH?
Nelson Cruz is cool and if he wants to come mash taters for my favorite team I'd be happy to watch him do so.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

STAC Goat posted:

I very much enjoy the shootout but I don't think it actually compares to a HRD in any meaningful way.

But yeah, if you don't want extra innings you just do ties in the regular season. Its not that hard and no one will care if over 162 games a team has 3 ties.

I don't care about ties as much as some people but there'll be a lot more than 3 of them per team if you don't have extra innings at all

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The sensible compromise for extra innings, if eliminating marathon games and avoiding ties are both of critical importance for some reason, would be to play innings 10,11,12 the normal way and then implement the runners in the 13th.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I looked at the last couple Dodgers season on BReff and they played 10-15 extra inning games each year from 2017-19. However if you end in a tie after 12 innings instead of 9, then you end up with like 1-3 ties a year which strikes me as a worthwhile tradeoff.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Dustin Pedroia officially retired.

He unofficially retired years ago

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Was there a difference in win rate last season in regards to extra innings games? Cause I really don't actually care about extra innings. I think I'd be ok with the rule if it started after the 10th, since most extra innings games end after 10 regardless.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Was there a difference in win rate last season in regards to extra innings games? Cause I really don't actually care about extra innings. I think I'd be ok with the rule if it started after the 10th, since most extra innings games end after 10 regardless.

Leaguewide winning% in extra inning games was around 50% iirc

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Remembering that one Dodgers/Astros extra inning game this season that went to like the 15th where the first 3 innings the Dodgers didn't get the runner from second home and each time Dusty just absolutely refused to call for a bunt, the one time you should be bunting

I don't think the runner advanced to third in any of those innings

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Extra innings is great, Manfred is stupid

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Nodoze posted:

Extra innings is great, Manfred is stupid

New thread title

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Is this how hockey fans feel all the time? I don't think I've ever seen a professional sport run with such disregard/contempt for fan sentiment at every turn as I have during Manfred-era MLB. And I'm just talking about the extra innings/playoff format changes and musings about banning the shift, without getting into the overall freeze on FA spending.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
The thing I don't get about Manfred's poo poo is who it's supposed to win over. I know a lot of people who don't like baseball, they don't know or care about any of these rule changes because they fundamentally do not like baseball, moment-to-moment. I know a lot of people who did like baseball and lapsed who were devoted viewers of those 4.5 hour Sox-Yanks games from the 00s and were pushed away by PED scandals and the big market/small market imbalance. None of these people are going to turn off Netflix for a Dodgers game in July because of the three batter minimum.

uggy posted:

They get paid more if they make the playoffs. There’s a pool for the players to split

A top guy like a Kershaw or a Verlander or whatever is taking like a 90% pay cut per game come October, which I would find to be a pretty absurd overtime arrangement and I can only guess that MLB players put up with it because their work arrangement is completely different from my own on every relevant level

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Dustin Pedroia officially retired.

He unofficially retired years ago

Since he made it official, enjoy this ad featuring him that made me chuckle aloud.

https://twitter.com/Ben13Porter/status/1356305475546054656

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/1356251278205181955

That cover picture is :discourse: