Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Larryb posted:

Seems like the writers for the Sonic series since Colors have been let go as well:

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/01/two_veteran_sonic_the_hedgehog_writers_appear_to_have_moved_on

Good. They wrote a fun script in Colors but basically ran out of steam immediately after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Pants Donkey posted:

It does worry me that we’re back to “well they had plenty of time to work on something good” and we end up with another game they spent like a year on.
Yeah does feel like history repeating a tad as yet again Sonic Team is on radio silence working on a game they've promised won't be rushed for release but theres another marketable round number coming up since the first game came out...

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

They even delayed the 25th anniversary games a year, and still ended up Forces in its current state!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

MorningMoon posted:

I guess we are for sure seeing a "new start" with the next game. Wouldn't even be too shocked if the new cartoon is a direct tie-in to the game. Just makes me real nervous because that's sorta what happened with Forces.

I feel like this transition was happening while Forces was going on, given that the comic reboot and Mania cartoons were going on at the same time. I'm hoping that Forces was just left behind in the mess, and the next game has a renewed focus with a fresh, more enthusiastic team.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 31, 2021

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Colors was a fun time but I very quickly got sick of Pontac and Graff’s writing style after that. The constant barrage of irony, sarcasm, self-deprecation, references, wore itself thin, it felt like the energy had just been sucked out of the stories

I’d rather have a plot that’s confidently stupid than one that’s just constantly having the characters go “oh a deadly battlestation in space, how original, boy Eggman must be running out of ideas as I right fellas?”

Augus fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 31, 2021

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Forces had this weird thing where the avatar character is this anxiety ridden sack of nerves whose only joined up a month ago, yet in action is at once spiderman, a speedster and armed with a modest Ratchet and Clank arsenal. And also Knuckles leads the resistance despite his only tactics being let the newb handle it and human animal wave tactics against fortified positions.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Caidin posted:

Forces had this weird thing where the avatar character is this anxiety ridden sack of nerves whose only joined up a month ago, yet in action is at once spiderman, a speedster and armed with a modest Ratchet and Clank arsenal. And also Knuckles leads the resistance despite his only tactics being let the newb handle it and human animal wave tactics against fortified positions.

Also why is the easily duped hermit who lives alone on an island and loves fighting in charge of a resistance group?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I'd take a game with the tone of AoStH over SatAM any day.

Edit: ↓↓↓ Agreed. Hesse and crew knocked it out of the park, and I really wish that they were at the helm instead.

azurite fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 1, 2021

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I vastly prefer the saturday morning goofball poo poo that doesn’t take the war between mad scientist and talking blue hedgehog too seriously. That poo poo led to the horrible Shadow and Sonic ‘06 stories.

Honestly I like Mania’s direction.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I just want news, Sega. A teaser trailer, a poster, anything!

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I liked things at about the adventure series level of writing. Where's that one fall?

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Unleashed's tone was pretty good, and the Pixar-style humans were fine, just do that again but without the silly werehog this time. if you need a slower character to punch stuff, Knuckles is right there

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Caidin posted:

I liked things at about the adventure series level of writing. Where's that one fall?

I think the Adventures lucked out and landed in the "so bad it's good" category.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Homora Gaykemi posted:

Unleashed's tone was pretty good, and the Pixar-style humans were fine, just do that again but without the silly werehog this time. if you need a slower character to punch stuff, Knuckles is right there

Sonic and Knuckles 2

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Flynn writing is Sonic writing at it's peak, but I'm a sucker for the wild sincere anime bullshit exemplified in the Adventure games and the other sixth generation games to a lesser extent. Forces should've learned even more into that. One thing I know is the guy responsible writing Shadow's character arc was completely sincere in his love for the character and I admire that.

I don't really care for AoSTH, but I respect it.

The Sonic Boom cartoon was a little hit or miss with it's jokes IMO.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Adventure 1 had heart and charm and knew how to take itself just seriously enough. 2 is when it poo poo the bed in the story department imo

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
On the other hand, Shadow is very cool

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
sonic adventure 2's writing is almost immaculate, the only flaw is there isn't more of it

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

SA2 takes itself so seriously that it becomes insanely funny. I'm not sure how to define 06's damage cause it has poo poo that should be even funnier but it's just miserable and unpleasant instead.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
adventure 2 was cool as gently caress when I played it as a kid and I think it's still very good

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHFRPvWe-EM

Never forget.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Sayonara... Shadow The Hedgehog.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

that fact that that was "adios" in the japanese script and they changed it to japanese in the english version kills me to this day

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Amppelix posted:

that fact that that was "adios" in the japanese script and they changed it to japanese in the english version kills me to this day

In the Spanish version he says "do svidanya".

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Amppelix posted:

makes sense to me, honestly. older yugioh did a lot of the same, like "lightning bolt" became "raigeki". then there's motherfucking giant trunade which I'm pretty sure is a mistransliteration of a word the original name did not use

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i would be more willing to interpret it charitably if this wasn't also the game with "yosh" and "teriyaaaaaaaaa"

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Reminder that Sonic Adventure 2's story is bad and poo poo, as described in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZJuLcakn3Y

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

MJeff posted:

Reminder that Sonic Adventure 2's story is bad and poo poo, as described in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZJuLcakn3Y

that video owns

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Sonic Adventure 2 is literally just a shounen anime plot, it’s not actually all that grimdark and serious.

Pants Donkey posted:

I vastly prefer the saturday morning goofball poo poo that doesn’t take the war between mad scientist and talking blue hedgehog too seriously. That poo poo led to the horrible Shadow and Sonic ‘06 stories.
by the same logic you could also say the goofball poo poo led to The Sonic Boom Game and The Other Sonic Boom Game.
a serious story that is unintentionally hilarious is endlessly entertaining. a story that thinks it’s hilarious when it just isn’t, that’s pure torture.

Augus fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Feb 1, 2021

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the thing i liked about SA2's story is it was essentially written like a sincere action movie, and every cutscene knew it had to be delivering something "cool" and "badass" first and foremost. that level of sincere-but-not-exactly-serious worked very well for sonic

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I know the story in Heroes was an afterthought, with the writer having to come up with something for each team to do after everything else in the game was decided on, but it’s still really bad. The characters were all simplified and had nothing interesting to say to each other despite talking constantly during gameplay.

Something I appreciate about early video game cutscenes is how they were as long as they needed to be and not a second more. SA2 and the PS2 Ratchet and Clank games were like this. Sure they could end pretty abruptly, but they’re so fast paced I don’t mind sitting through them again on replays.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Homora Gaykemi posted:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I'm entirely unsure what you could mean by that. Since when have cutscenes started not being as long as they need to be?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, aside from maybe the intro to a few of the Last Stories (such as SA2, Shadow, and 06) I can’t really think of a cutscene in a Sonic game that was overly long.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Amppelix posted:

I'm entirely unsure what you could mean by that. Since when have cutscenes started not being as long as they need to be?

Insert some critique of MGS1 era Hideo Kojima here I guess

For sonic yeah idk

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/NXOnNetflix/status/1356240896870797315
knowing literally nothing about this except this logo it already doesn't look promising

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Knowing what Man of Action did to Mega Man, I'm not optimistic.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Sonic primes himself to become a bad canadian cartoon

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

That animation studio has ugly af cartoons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkDMz2ml0gw