Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mizuti posted:

How do you increase your fund rewards beyond doing your job at the theater each day?

Save babies and treat the sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
The top of the map screen has a reward bar, so you can see when you've maxed it for the day.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
My second playthrough went astoundingly well, though I had to spin plates nonstop to make it happen. I discovered a whole bunch of content I overlooked during my first playthrough, such as everything involving Anna Angel. I got lucky with schmowder trades and drops and managed to keep everyone alive at day 12. Poor Notkin just can't catch a break. I got lucky on the rolls where "Murky's friend" skips straight to infecting all the children and bypasses any safety measures. Khan and Notkin survived. I managed not to die at all, either, but as far as I noticed there's no changes in dialog to account for it.

I'll have to replay this game sometime on its intended difficulty. I have a feeling that when I'm not playing on babby mode things won't be as rosy... :stonklol:

Is there any website that reveals all the contents of the thought maps? I missed fulfilling a bunch of thoughts in both playthroughs and I'm wondering what else I haven't seen.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Mizuti posted:

I'll have to replay this game sometime on its intended difficulty. I have a feeling that when I'm not playing on babby mode things won't be as rosy... :stonklol:

You goddamn monster.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Mizuti posted:

My second playthrough went astoundingly well, though I had to spin plates nonstop to make it happen. I discovered a whole bunch of content I overlooked during my first playthrough, such as everything involving Anna Angel. I got lucky with schmowder trades and drops and managed to keep everyone alive at day 12. Poor Notkin just can't catch a break. I got lucky on the rolls where "Murky's friend" skips straight to infecting all the children and bypasses any safety measures. Khan and Notkin survived. I managed not to die at all, either, but as far as I noticed there's no changes in dialog to account for it.

Is there any website that reveals all the contents of the thought maps? I missed fulfilling a bunch of thoughts in both playthroughs and I'm wondering what else I haven't seen.

if youve played through the game twice, the base difficulty would be a waste of time

here check this out if you actually want it to be challenging like it shouldve been the first time https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3889956&userid=93986&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post503766606

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 24, 2021

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
Scratch that no-deaths run, I checked the diurnal ending and Rubin was replaced by a tragedian even though the People menu claims he's alive. :confused:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Mizuti posted:

Scratch that no-deaths run, I checked the diurnal ending and Rubin was replaced by a mime even though the People menu claims he's alive. :confused:

Did you talk him out of joining the war? He runs away with the general if you don't.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
In both runs I lost track of Rubin after the time you can visit him while he's sleeping. I didn't see any more prompts to interact with him and I'm not sure how to find them.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Mizuti posted:

In both runs I lost track of Rubin after the time you can visit him while he's sleeping. I didn't see any more prompts to interact with him and I'm not sure how to find them.

he disappears for a while then after the army shows up he hangs out at the train station and says he's going to join the army and artemy can either wish him good luck or convince him to stay and help rebuild

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I did that then he died of an extremely unlikely roll lmao

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

I'm playing through Pathologic 2 and loving every excruciating moment of it except for a couple performance issues. At times there is a lot of stuttering/choppiness that makes it difficult to navigate. I know there can be penalties for deaths and wonder if this could be a handicap imposed but so far I have not had any deaths on my run. Another issue is sometimes it will go black and and my desktop pops up, the cursor still is the one you see in the game and there seems to be no way to get back to the game once this happens. Anyone run into this and have any fixes? Any settings in game I can change to eliminate or lessen the issue.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Corte posted:

I'm playing through Pathologic 2 and loving every excruciating moment of it except for a couple performance issues. At times there is a lot of stuttering/choppiness that makes it difficult to navigate. I know there can be penalties for deaths and wonder if this could be a handicap imposed but so far I have not had any deaths on my run. Another issue is sometimes it will go black and and my desktop pops up, the cursor still is the one you see in the game and there seems to be no way to get back to the game once this happens. Anyone run into this and have any fixes? Any settings in game I can change to eliminate or lessen the issue.

That's definitely a performance issue, nothing to do with the game.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

very very very good game

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Arrhythmia posted:

That's definitely a performance issue, nothing to do with the game.

I don't think my PC hardware is the problem, looking at the specs I don't have the Ryzen 7 they recommend for CPU, only a Ryzen 5 3600X, seems a bit absurd it would be more demanding than Cyberpunk 2077 though.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I have a Ryzen 9 3950X and the game stuttered occasionally, I think it's poorly optimized and probably has some specific issues with AMD processors.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

The problem seems to be getting progressively worse the more I try to fix it. I tried setting the application to high priority through task manager, closing other background applications and lower in-game settings. It's now crashing more often... I have tried searching for guides to optimize it and am coming up with little.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
That sounds like a windowed vs full screen type of problem

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The longer your save file is the more the game stutters, I had the same problem

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

beer gas canister posted:

That sounds like a windowed vs full screen type of problem

Since you mention that it seems that the game switches to borderless or windowed mode without my intervention at times... Whatever it is the issue is getting progressively worse. The only other change I can think to attribute it to is I'm playing it on a Dell 27" monitor using a DVI now instead of my 55" TCL Series 5 QLED TV using HDMI. Maybe it's because I'm on Day 11 and the game just has more resources to load? I'm seeing more NPCs which is frustrating because it's hard to defend myself when there are frame skips which leads to deaths I could have avoided. Honestly this is hugely disappointing as I was really excited to see the end of my first playthrough and to have it stymied like this is just the worst.

Levin fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 1, 2021

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
Do you have the game installed on an SSD? That would be my first recommendation.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

i usually restarted the game every couple hours and it stuttered a bit less

can't imagine this game on a ps4 lmao

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Dongicus posted:

can't imagine this game on a ps4 lmao

It's bad. Running it on a PS5 brute-forces most of the issues into non-existence though.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Corte posted:

I don't think my PC hardware is the problem, looking at the specs I don't have the Ryzen 7 they recommend for CPU, only a Ryzen 5 3600X, seems a bit absurd it would be more demanding than Cyberpunk 2077 though.

you're comparing a game with pretty good graphics developed by a tiny team with a small budget to a game with better graphics developed by a massive team with a huge budget. optimizations can be the hardest part of game development

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

a7m2 posted:

you're comparing a game with pretty good graphics developed by a tiny team with a small budget to a game with better graphics developed by a massive team with a huge budget. optimizations can be the hardest part of game development

I clearly have no understanding of game development and made a bad assumption.

Finished my first playthrough and failed utterly. I'm excited to take what I learned and give it another go, feel like there's plenty of meat left on the bone for me to enjoy. Part of me wants to do it all but I doubt I have the time to achieve everything, tempted to read or watch something to fill me in but also want to discover things for myself, very torn.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
you can absolutely accomplish every quest and do every single thing (excepting choices that lock each other out). in my 2nd playthrough i basically did that with some stuff turned to harder because i knew how to abuse all the little things in the game

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Verviticus posted:

you can absolutely accomplish every quest and do every single thing (excepting choices that lock each other out). in my 2nd playthrough i basically did that with some stuff turned to harder because i knew how to abuse all the little things in the game

Any general tips would be appreciated, don't want to spoil story stuff but like little tricks regarding mechanics I wouldn't mind knowing such as:
- Do the children's rules apply to caches before the game starts and after they leave?
- Are there any food items that are really not worth their cost? My impression is the fresher the better.
- I assume stocking up on food vouchers from the Dead Shop the day before would be a good idea
- Is there a best way to go about performing autopsies with respect to reputation? Not sure how I'd regain my rep in an area if it gets to a point where folks won't trade or I'm attacked, I guess kill bandits at night? Maybe it resets as the plague rolls over?
- Are ferries ever faster? I basically assumed using them in a straight line was my best bet, any routes that wrapped around were probably inefficient.

Already wrapped up Day 1 and felt like I finished much stronger this time around, there were moments when I had time on my hands and just wandered looking through bins Hobocop style or finding kids to trade with.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Corte posted:

Any general tips would be appreciated, don't want to spoil story stuff but like little tricks regarding mechanics I wouldn't mind knowing such as:
- Do the children's rules apply to caches before the game starts and after they leave?
- Are there any food items that are really not worth their cost? My impression is the fresher the better.
- I assume stocking up on food vouchers from the Dead Shop the day before would be a good idea
- Is there a best way to go about performing autopsies with respect to reputation? Not sure how I'd regain my rep in an area if it gets to a point where folks won't trade or I'm attacked, I guess kill bandits at night? Maybe it resets as the plague rolls over?
- Are ferries ever faster? I basically assumed using them in a straight line was my best bet, any routes that wrapped around were probably inefficient.

Already wrapped up Day 1 and felt like I finished much stronger this time around, there were moments when I had time on my hands and just wandered looking through bins Hobocop style or finding kids to trade with.

I never really figured out how children's caches worked tbh, I gave an item back but mostly got crap from it as a result. I watched someone offload way more and regularly get shmowder though so who knows!

The ferry can occasionally be faster, depending on where you're going and what you think you'll run into on the way.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

I never really figured out how children's caches worked tbh, I gave an item back but mostly got crap from it as a result. I watched someone offload way more and regularly get shmowder though so who knows!

The ferry can occasionally be faster, depending on where you're going and what you think you'll run into on the way.

i'm pretty sure the caches are totally random. the conclusion of the quest has the kids tell you that you're kicked out of the game because you aren't leaving notes in the caches, which is both impossible to actually do and they never tell you that you're supposed when they explain the rules

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Corte posted:

I'm not sure the rules do anything to be honest. You can figure out which of the caches is loaded by drinking the aclcohol/tincture whatever it was called. One of the more cost effective ways to get food is to buy nuts and trade with the kids for better stuff

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Just sorta finished my second playthrough here. Man, what a game. A couple friends decided to try doing a video game book club and for some godforsaken reason they listened to me when I pushed Pathologic 2 so we've been descending into madness together. Gonna digest this one for a long time. My second run had a pretty spectacular end but I still need to parse it.

One piece of trading advice is to not underestimate soap. You can buy it from kids for next to nothing and town ladies just loving love soap and they have needles and thread and thimbles that you need for keeping your boots in good shape. There's even a lady who will trade two soap for a dried meat and that's sort of a big deal.

For reputation in an area where you're hated you can fix water pumps or medicate people when the plague happens to be in town even if no one is talking to you.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

killing muggers is also good for reputation ( harvesting their organs afterwards is obviously bad but taking their blood is fine for some reason)

i think the best reputation gains come from treating the sick people writhing in pain on the ground or in houses. it also gives you more fund rewards, and the tinctures and antibiotics are imo easier to come by than the tools and scrap you need to spend to fix water pumps that are valuable for maintaining guns and knives

iirc i ended up focusing on just repairing the pump next to the bar because it was the closest to the lair, and a few others that were otherwise centrally located

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Feb 3, 2021

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I'm starting to feel like I could go for a replay of this for the first time since launch, but of all the things to get hung up on I really disagree with having time pass while you're in a container. I get it, I get it, but what a brutal decision. Let me stand at the cabinet and obsess in peace

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Time should pause in the hideout. Leave things hectic everywhere else, but let me breathe in the hideout.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Corte posted:

if you wanna get crazy then a few things

A: day one you cannot die. and on your first death you are teleported at a cost of 0 time to bad grief's house and healed to half. after that you just wake up wherever you died. you can use this to visit him later in the day for whatever of his two visits you want to perform and run around stabbing/punching people near lara's house and draining their blood/organs for var. this will result in the town being kinda mad but not violent towards you for a half a day on day 2 or so but reputation is not hard to fix. mostly youre just abusing the fact that rep cant get below 0, so start killing until the town realizes youre an OK dude (from lara and big vlad)

B: size of food is generally more important than cost of food. lemons are always good, coffee beans are very good and you can get them by trading from the fancy lads in the rich part of town. they like fingernails so try to stock up on those from kids (fingernails are very valuable for how high they stack too). i generally had a bunch of eggs and keshk and then bought fish/bread only to consume immediately or dump off at a friends house to eat later

C: ferries are faster in a straight line - lara to either side IIRC is a good fast travel

D: combat is actually really easy. hold an uppercut, hit them as they get in range and back up until they're stunned, and then just uppercut them until you're out of stamina but usually they're dead at that point. i dont think jabbing is ever useful

E: you can get some free poo poo here for some reason

F: one thing about combat people dont seem to realize is that you take way more damage being stabbed in the back. this isnt usually a big deal except when you get swarmed, sure. when you are running and you get grabbed by a guy, you actually never lose control of your character so if you can anticipate it and spin the mouse opposite the grab you can actually just keep running along

ive linked to it a couple times but this post has my thoughts on how to make the game harder https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3889956&userid=93986&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post503766606 in a way thats actually fun

edit: one more: herbs grow back every day at places like crow's rock and the village to the south east. you can get a loving lot of them in a very short time just by visiting those places

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 3, 2021

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Sokani posted:

Time should pause in the hideout. Leave things hectic everywhere else, but let me breathe in the hideout.

No Mods No Masters posted:

I'm starting to feel like I could go for a replay of this for the first time since launch, but of all the things to get hung up on I really disagree with having time pass while you're in a container. I get it, I get it, but what a brutal decision. Let me stand at the cabinet and obsess in peace

you could probably cheat engine speedhack the game to 0.1x while you're in a cabinet but yeah this is the only part of the game that i think is explicitly the wrong choice

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

time waits for no man

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

you should never feel comfortable while playing

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

In Training posted:

time waits for no man

actually its the opposite

Dongicus posted:

you should never feel comfortable while playing

well then explain why time doesnt pass when youre trying to figure out the optimal way to fleece children out of their medicine

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Verviticus posted:

actually its the opposite

well then explain why time doesnt pass when youre trying to figure out the optimal way to fleece children out of their medicine

Man waits for no time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

kains itt