Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Yeah Nah?
This poll is closed.
Yeah Nah 122 53.51%
Nah Yeah 64 28.07%
Nah Yee 18 7.89%
No Yes 9 3.95%
Yes No 15 6.58%
Total: 228 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
https://twitter.com/bencjenkins/status/1355314807381975044

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Perth going into lockdown for 5 days.

gently caress me some of these locations are close to me. I go to that spud shed regularly, but haven't for a few weeks thankfully.

NPR Journalizard fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jan 31, 2021

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
Good luck WA gremlins!

Looks like your state is acting quickly and appropriately

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Anyone got that list of locations + dates online?

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum
Guardian is reporting:
People who have been to the following areas must be tested:
  • Coles Maylands supermarket on January 25, between 8pm and 10pm.
  • KFC Maylands on the 27 January from 6pm to midnight.
  • Mitsubishi motors car dealership in Midland on January 27 from 7pm to close.
  • Spud Shed, Coventry Village, on January 27 from 8pm to midnight.
  • ECU Joondalup on January 28, from 11am to 2pm
  • The Consulate general of India on Saint Georges Terrace in Perth on the 28th January, from 12pm to 5pm.
  • Halal Grocery Store in Cloverdale onJanuary 28, from 7pm to 9pm.
  • Venus Ladies and Gentlemen Hair Design in Maylands on January 29 from 1pm to three p.m.
  • Perth Convention Centre on January 29 from 4pm to six p.m.
  • Nedlands family practice GP surgery on 29 January, from 5pm to six p.m.
  • Chemist Warehouse in North Perth pharmacy, from January 29 from 530pm to 7:30pm.
  • 7-11 Ascot petrol station on January 29, from 8pm to 9 pm.
  • Paul’s Maylands supermarket on January 29 from 8pm until nine p.m
  • The Puma service Station in Burswood on January 13 from 11am until 12 midday.
  • Coles express shell service-station in Cloverdale on January 30 from 12pm until 3pm.
  • Pharmacy 777 at Mayland Park shopping centre. on January 30 from 2:30pm until 3pm.

Edit:
In addition, people who live or work in the Kirk Avenue Maylands area including Coles, Liquor Land and the shopping precinct should present for a test and self-isolate until they receive a negative result.

RichardA fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jan 31, 2021

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

RichardA posted:

Guardian is reporting:
  • ECU Joondalup onJ anuary 28, from 11am to 2pm
  • The Consulate general of India on Saint Georges Terrace in Perth on the 28th January, from 12pm to 5pm.
  • Venus Ladies and Gentlemen Hair Design in Maylands on January 29 from 1pm to three p.m.
  • Perth Convention Centreon January 29 from 4pm to six p.m.
  • Chemist Warehouse in North Perthpharmacy, from January 29 from 530pm to 7:30pm.
  • 7-11 Ascot petrol station on January 29, from 8pm to9pm.
  • Paul’s Maylands supermarket onJanuary 29 from 8pm until nine p.m
  • Coles express shell servicestation in Cloverdale on January 30 from 12pm until 3pm.
  • Pharmacy 777 at Mayland Park shopping centre.

Thanks!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Kevin Andrews will leave parliment next election

He kinda got the boot

https://www.smh.com.au/national/victoria/changing-the-guard-inside-the-battle-for-prize-liberal-seat-of-menzies-20210126-p56wzo.html

https://www.smh.com.au/national/kevin-andrews-toppled-in-preselection-battle-for-menzies-20210130-p56y2h.html

His replacement is a "moderate" whatever that means in the Liberal Party

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
i've seen minimal whining about WA locking down hard over one case, pretty heartening really.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-31/victorian-liberal-mp-kevin-andrews-loses-preselection-for-seat/13107342

For people who don't want to give the SMH clicks.

BBN died at Royal Darwin hospital of advanced throat cancer following a period of palliative care. He was serving a 14-year sentence at the Darwin correctional centre. His family were able to visit him in hospital, but complained at the inquest that they had not been permitted to stay overnight, and that he had not been released to die in his home community.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble
I can't find whatever article he's referring to by google, but to be earning several times what a nurse makes that journo have to be on between $200K and $500K. Are Australian journalists generally renowned rich fucks?

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990

Tommunist posted:

Good luck WA gremlins!

Looks like your state is acting quickly and appropriately

Not quickly enough, the only option is to send in liquidators to prevent wildlife and other residents from escaping.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

The Artificial Kid posted:

I can't find whatever article he's referring to by google, but to be earning several times what a nurse makes that journo have to be on between $200K and $500K. Are Australian journalists generally renowned rich fucks?

I think you're over thinking it Mr kid

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Only the poo poo swizzlers at The Australian earn any actual money, the rest of them copy paste corporate and IPA media releases for minimum wage

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

RichardA posted:

Guardian is reporting:
  • ECU Joondalup onJ anuary 28, from 11am to 2pm
  • Perth Convention Centreon January 29 from 4pm to six p.m.
  • Chemist Warehouse in North Perthpharmacy, from January 29 from 530pm to 7:30pm.
  • 7-11 Ascot petrol station on January 29, from 8pm to9pm.
  • Paul’s Maylands supermarket onJanuary 29 from 8pm until nine p.m
  • Coles express shell servicestation in Cloverdale on January 30 from 12pm until 3pm.
  • Pharmacy 777 at Mayland Park shopping centre.

Slightly more info on the ABC facebook page (dates for Pharmacy 777 and Falkirk Ave added): https://www.facebook.com/abcperth/photos/a.137025779663724/4053969547969308/ but I haven't found a proper source.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

News Corp accidentally leaked its own payroll last year and I think it shows that all the Journalists who worked full time for The Australian were on 300k.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Anidav posted:

News Corp accidentally leaked its own payroll last year and I think it shows that all the Journalists who worked full time for The Australian were on 300k.

I could get 300k a year for taking a sloppy after-lunch dump and saving it as article.docx? drat

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

crepeface posted:

i've seen minimal whining about WA locking down hard over one case, pretty heartening really.

I've seen maximal whining coming from the Twitterati of Sydney, who seem to believe that having a low level of COVID in your community is not just acceptable but desirable

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

In a shock twist absolutely impossible to predict, the coalition does not intend to continue a broad jobkeeper program past March, but say they will support some industries as needed, i.e.tourism.

In a somehow greater surprise, so stunning M. Night Shyamalan was reduced to tears by the perfect beauty he can never match, the coalition will likely not increase jobseeker permanently.

https://amp.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/jan/31/coalition-unlikely-to-lift-unemployment-benefits-when-jobkeeper-scrapped-in-march

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
Well the panic buying was real. Nice and orderly but the lines went out the store and down the road. The covid case went a lot of places though, so hopefully he doesn't have the UK strain and didn't infect a bunch more people. 1 more week school holidays though, so that's... nice.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I still can't believe that the people working quarantine security are also being sent off to work heavily populated areas.

That's capitalism :shrugh:

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

freebooter posted:

I've seen maximal whining coming from the Twitterati of Sydney, who seem to believe that having a low level of COVID in your community is not just acceptable but desirable

It can't be as bad as the Melbourne people that whined Sydney wasn't locked down hard enough, with this being the end result

quote:

NSW has reported no locally acquired cases of COVID-19 for the 14th consecutive day, marking one infection cycle with zero local transmission detected.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

I loving love a post that triggers a visceral disgust reaction, let me try.

Victoria has had 24 days without a confirmed local transmission case, thus the second wave was handled perfectly.

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010

Eediot Jedi posted:

In a shock twist absolutely impossible to predict, the coalition does not intend to continue a broad jobkeeper program past March, but say they will support some industries as needed, i.e.tourism.

In a somehow greater surprise, so stunning M. Night Shyamalan was reduced to tears by the perfect beauty he can never match, the coalition will likely not increase jobseeker permanently.

https://amp.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/jan/31/coalition-unlikely-to-lift-unemployment-benefits-when-jobkeeper-scrapped-in-march

The Business council is calling for a higher Newstart allowance ffs. I would have thought Jobkeeper and COVID was the perfect cover to raise it without making a fuss to their base. Are they seriously trying to advertise how callous they are?

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Scylo posted:

It can't be as bad as the Melbourne people that whined Sydney wasn't locked down hard enough, with this being the end result

No one wanted the virus down here again because your state government can't do the needed hth

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
https://twitter.com/vicgovdhhs/status/1356001799031844864

For those who missed it

:rip:

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 31, 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

They silenced him for his truths

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I pulled the trigger and didn't die is not a justification for playing russian roulette.

Everyone I've spoken to over here is in total agreement with the hard lockdown, we've seen exactly what happens when this poo poo gets out into the wild, you either hard lock early, or run the risk of much longer hard locks later.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
WA joins the stronk state club

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Solemn Sloth posted:

WA joins the stronk state club

always was

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Tommunist posted:

No one wanted the virus down here again because your state government can't do the needed hth

IIRC, Vics first cases after their second wave lockdown came from NSW. Checks out.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Caught a report on ABC24 last night saying that Labor will be fighting the Workchoices 2.0 all the way to the election and that the last thing the LNP wants is for this to be dragged out as they're afraid of the unions.

What loving world are these people living in? Because I want to live in it, too.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

always will be

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Mark McGowan is asked to respond to Peter Dutton’s criticism of the WA lockdown:

quote:

"I had not thought about Peter Dutton in this context. I know the prime minister and the federal health minister agree with what we have done, and they said that publicly. So the prime minister is on the same page with us and I appreciate his support.

In relation to Mr Dutton, I want to make this point: he is the minister for home affairs. They have the responsibility for quarantine under the constitution. But he does not want to do that.

So, therefore, it has fallen to the states to perform the role that Mr Dutton should be performing under the constitution. So he should not be criticising when we are doing the task he should be performing.

Under the constitution, section 15 quarantine, it is the responsibility of the commonwealth. Defence bases, Christmas Island, sometimes very remote places, and they are not doing it and refused to do it, so therefore the state is doing it. So I urge Mr Dutton not to be a critic."

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

crepeface posted:

Mark McGowan is asked to respond to Peter Dutton’s criticism of the WA lockdown:

"Peter Dutton can gently caress right off."

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

hooman posted:

I pulled the trigger and didn't die is not a justification for playing russian roulette.

Nah, the GFC was no big deal, we should give this Abbott bloke a chance.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
So I urge Mr Dutton not to be a critic, a knocker, or indeed a lightweight while we stand in the grey twilight that knows not victory or defeat. Have a go kids, and drat the consequences. I'm Rex Hunt, and this is 3AW fishing.

anidavshalom
Jun 10, 2020
I think that you'll find, in most cases, that people from Sydney are generally fuckwits.

anidavshalom
Jun 10, 2020
I feel confident attesting to this as an ex-Sydney resident.

anidavshalom
Jun 10, 2020
Hmmmmmm perhaps all Australians, in most cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Lmao the guy replacing Kevin Andrews has come out specifically saying he's not a moderate and didn't join the libs to be called that.