Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

freebooter posted:

It was absolutely Jake. Cassie I just can't see independently doing something violent/dangerous even as a utilitarian means to an end (at least not this early in the series) and also if she was doing that there'd be no need to warn Gump

I think it's Jake too, but Cassie would still warn Gump because she doesn't want him getting turned into a Controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
I only remembered the fly swat scene but dang everything after and including that part was actually incredibly solid

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
it was obviously Jake, but i think the idea that it was some random electrical fire or whatever kinda funny so i choose that

freebooter posted:

also if she was doing that there'd be no need to warn Gump

i mean, even with Cannibill Gates out of the picture she'd still not want the kid talking to their dad and getting infested because they know too much

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah I guess, I got the impression it was like 90% about not wanting him to get cannibaled though.

Also kudos to Applegate for creating such a horrifying visual image without ever explicitly saying what he does. Him - or more likely some very amoral people he's hired - physically cutting open Controllers' heads to pluck out the Yeerk and then discarding the bodies like a Big Mac wrapper. Presumably right there on the premises of the mansion. 10 a month, 120 a year.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
There's that super fun idea that an evil alien is actually really hard to tell apart from a human billionaire! One's a pitiless, obscenely selfish monster driven by undying hunger for human misery; and the other's a Yeerk.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Actually I've changed my mind. It was Visser Three. He found the website, traced it back to WAA, and burnt the place down to get back at those meddling Andalites.
Job well done all, except Souris 633 who lost his head for pointing out inflammable means the same as flammable

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
It's also weird that while the use of chat rooms and stuff is obviously very dated, the portrayal of the Gates stand-in comes very close to how you'd show a Zuckerberg or a Jack, as an abuser of the mass of information he's collected. This is well before the PATRIOT Act, too.

I had very little memory of this book besides the opening, so when Joe Bob was talking about something Yeerks could do instead of the Kandrona, I thought it might be setting up something in this coming book. Instead it was infinitely more horrifying!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This is possibly my new favorite book in the series. Everything from Jake getting swatted onward is very good at setting a certain tone, and Jake's behavior generally comes off as very believable and realistic (given the circumstances).

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Rochallor posted:

It's also weird that while the use of chat rooms and stuff is obviously very dated, the portrayal of the Gates stand-in comes very close to how you'd show a Zuckerberg or a Jack, as an abuser of the mass of information he's collected. This is well before the PATRIOT Act, too.

I had very little memory of this book besides the opening, so when Joe Bob was talking about something Yeerks could do instead of the Kandrona, I thought it might be setting up something in this coming book. Instead it was infinitely more horrifying!

Yeah, it's interesting. I remembered the opening, including that Jake had a cringey username, but none of the rest (except the circus act in the AOL HQ). You'd think it would leave more of an impact...

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
But if Gump's dad decided to just grab him and take him to the pool? Kid's only chance is to not put a "know too much, get him" sign, and then skate by "not worth infesting - for now.

In the meanwhile, let's continue the win/loss, per book. If it's before the break, it's quoting my previous post.

Book one: initial primary objective, assault on the pool, failed. The second, freeing Cassie before infestation, was a success. Addernum: one member WIA (tobias) - and intelwise, it changed from "possible that some kids may saw something they shouldn't?" & "do we have Andalite survivors?" to "we have Andalite insurgents opposing us". L the first (arguably l - not cause it was not a failure, but cause they did managed to not all die. proportions)
2 : went after intel, got into a fight getting out. All made it, and a bit smarter for the effort. Either a wash, or you can be charitable and give them a w. Note the smallcase.
3 : managed to down an enemy supply ship. W! (also, they erred planning to get fish, made fools of themself getting it, and than the plan went tits-up, and if Tobias was a worse shot, would die pointlessy. Not changing the W, but still. You done goofed)
(okay, I'm assuming that said supply ship ain't an "eh") EDIT : was noted to me that their goal was to capture the ship. May put it down to a w.
4 : Managed to rescue Ax, got away cleanly. W. Did get some help from whale jesus, but he joined in since they helped the crucified cetacean before - no point against them.
5 : captured, own trap didn't work, would be total wipe if Yeerks didn't put infighing before winning the war. L.
6 : Sabotaged hospital operation. Success. One member ?IA, rest of team need to care for him a little - but that went smoothly. W or w.
7 : Assault on the Kandrona is successful. W.
MM 1 : On the defensive for once, survived and killed their pursuer. W.
8 : could had killed Visser 3, failed. But that's since they be unwilling to execute Alloran, not operational failure. It's a wash.
9 : managed to halt the logging operation. w.
10 : managed to get the objective. Relied on one-time help, died a bit on the way. Could argue either wa - y'know what? dunno. ?
11 : TPK, maybe managed to take Visser 3 with 'em on the way. L.
12 : succeded in having a guy not get turned. w.
~~
13: The pair's liberated, and Tobias got his morphing back. W
14: Discovered an alien toilet, an prevented infestation of military personal. w, but an L for dignity of all involved. (why do 2 Hork-Bajir rate a W, but more humans than that an w? dunno. Maybe I'm wrong?)
15: Underwater base destroyed. W
16: Did not fight the Yeerk empire, but a renegade. If he weren't (and it was a no-quarter fight), it'll be a pyrrhic win.

As for next book... It'll be one of those books, ain't it?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

I'm going against the grain, I guess. I've always 100% assumed Cassie set the fire. Obviously there's no objectively right answer, but the foreshadowing felt really clear to me.

Epicurius posted:

quote:

<What do you expect me to do?> I asked her. <You want to get rid of this man because he’s evil? Do you want to do it yourself, Cassie?>

<You … your morph would do it better,> she said.

<You want me to get rid of him for you?> I asked. <That’s what you want?>

quote:

“It was the best you could do,” I said. “It was all you could do. I guess it’s hard to fight evil without doing some along the way.” Maybe there was a little “I told you so” in my voice.

Cassie just walked away. I let her go. Not everything can be settled. Not everything can be smoothed over.

A few days later they showed a fire on the TV news.

quote:

About a week went by after the fire before I went to Cassie’s house. She was in the barn, taking care of the sick animals.

I didn’t ask her any questions, and she didn’t ask me.

She wants Jake to kill Fenestre but can't bring herself to admit it, especially when Jake is specifically asking her if she wants it.

Then Jake tells Fenestre he's not safe anywhere but the house, and, later, tells Cassie "it's hard to fight evil without doing some along the way." So Cassie burns the house down without hurting anybody, putting Fenestre permanently on the Animorphs' kill-on-sight list while keeping her own hands directly free of blood.

The last bit matters because it's Jake's book. To me, if Jake had set the fire, there'd be no reason for him to note that "I didn't ask her any questions;" in that case, that line is there to show us that Jake believes Cassie did it but doesn't want that confirmed. In turn, the most likely reason for Cassie to not bring it up is because she did it, she knows Jake figures she did it, and she also doesn't want to confirm that.

(Alternately, yes, these few paragraphs don't mean anything other than providing that "mysteries and hard truths," "anyone could have done it!" tone. But even for a kids' series, Applegate is really good at having lines like this imply something. They exist to be read into, IMO, not to be window dressing.)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'd point the finger at Cassie, too, for a different reason. She's an outdoors girl, and has a much more practical and hands-on extracurricular background than the others. She is, in my opinion, the most likely one of the Animorphs to know how to commit arson and deliberately burn a place down.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Gotta side with the Cassie folks here. Mostly because Cassie works best alone when she can make decisions and not feel like she needs to justify them to other people (as future books will show), and burning down JBF’s mansion definitely lines up with that MO.

Next book rules, I don’t think it gets quite as heavy as this one does but it has a similar reputation as a silly book that belies the themes and discussions it presents.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Kill all Yeerks!

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Soup du Jour posted:

Next book rules, I don’t think it gets quite as heavy as this one does

I mean, it starts with attempted suicide...

Ysengrin
Feb 13, 2012
Remember that time Cassie (implicitly) killed a cop-controller?

Epicurius posted:

The Invasion-Chapter 27

And Cassie had gotten away clean. It had been the suspicious Controller policeman who had grabbed her. He was the only Controller to know her name, where she lived, and that she had been spying on The Sharing.

Cassie said we didn't have to worry about him anymore. She didn't want to talk about what had happened to him.

I think I'm on the side of the Cassie folks here too.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Yeah I have zero doubt that it was Cassie.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I guess what makes me think Jake is the line "I didn't ask her any questions, and she didn't ask me any." It's implying he had something to hide, though since he emphasized the protection ends after the house got burnt down he might be alluding that he merced fenestre after the fire, hopefully by tigering him through a window

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
From a purely logistical standpoint, Tobias and Ax would have the easiest time going on a solo mission out of town without anyone else noticing. But I don't think either of them have a motive as strong as Jake or Cassie. Maybe Tobias had cause to be upset about Rachel's treatment, but trapping her in stasis was one of the kinder things an antagonist has done to this group.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I guess what makes me think Jake is the line "I didn't ask her any questions, and she didn't ask me any." It's implying he had something to hide

I don't read that implication at all. To me, it's not that he had something to hide (for that, I'd expect something more like "I didn't say anything, and she didn't ask me anything"). The book's wording reads much more like he strongly believes it was Cassie, and he isn't asking because he wants to not know for sure that it was Cassie, because what does he do with that, or with her, once he knows it?

wizzardstaff posted:

From a purely logistical standpoint, Tobias and Ax would have the easiest time going on a solo mission out of town without anyone else noticing. But I don't think either of them have a motive as strong as Jake or Cassie. Maybe Tobias had cause to be upset about Rachel's treatment, but trapping her in stasis was one of the kinder things an antagonist has done to this group.

Yeah, Tobias is not the type to go on an after-the-fact violent revenge mission, especially with such little motivation, and Ax both wasn't awake for the discussion with Fenestre (so probably wasn't nearly as worked up about it) and wouldn't do it without Jake's say-so, and I think would probably argue against doing it, since it doesn't benefit either the overall war or the guerrilla war.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

And once again, the fact that none of this is spelt out is one of the strengths of this series.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I reckon it was Cassie; remember she's ice cold when she wants to me and may or may not have killed a controller with her bare hands in the first book while the rescue team was turning into tigers.

EFB

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I think I've got it: both Jake and Cassie, unbeknownst to each other, started a fire on the same night on opposite sides of the mansion. Meanwhile, Marco urgently asks Frasier if he can have a word with him in the kitchen.

Ysengrin posted:

Remember that time Cassie (implicitly) killed a cop-controller?

I had forgotten this - and tbh it feels a bit like a book one thing in which Applegate was still feeling her way into the series, not something she would've written in that early in retrospect. (Although here's an interesting brain bubble: maybe Cassie isn't the Ethics and Morals character just because she's a hippie who loves animals, but also because she was exposed to killing someone other than an alien far earlier than the others.)

When they were fighting over whether to kill Fenestre, the thought occurred to me: if they'd done it, would that be the first time they've deliberately taken another human life? I genuinely can't remember if that's happened.

(very end of series spoilers) I also can't remember if it ever comes up until towards the very end, when I remember at the very least that Rachel kills Tom, and wouldn't be surprised if there's a whole lot of carnage and accidental deaths and indirectly-caused-deaths and my-decision-got-them-killed deaths in the final battles along the way. And it's heavily implied Rachel mercy kills David.

I also remember - can't even recall which book - a real creepy scene-setting moment at the start of a book when they're demorphing and morphing to birds after a generic mission, and there's a dying human Controller who got caught in the crossfire between them and the Hork Bajir, asking for a blanket because they're cold. And the Animorphs just ignore them and don't talk about it.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Ok, time for:

Animorphs-Book 17:The Underground-Chapter 1

quote:

My name is Rachel.

You want to know my last name? Too bad. I don’t give out my last name. No offense. I’m not trying to be difficult or “too cool.” I’m just being careful.
Here’s the situation. Earth, our little blue and green planet, the one with the fluffy white clouds and all, is under attack.

It’s not under attack like in some World War II documentary or something. Or like in Star Wars. It’s more subtle than that. Not a lot of explosions and ray guns or whatever. In most wars, I guess what people are after is control of land or territory. Or at least they want to ram some idea down some other person’s throat.

In this war, our enemies don’t care about land. They don’t care about ideology. They don’t want to take over our capital city and raise some flag or whatever. They want us. They want our physical bodies.

They are called Yeerks. They are a race of parasitic slugs. Like tapeworms or something. They need to live in the bodies of other creatures. Otherwise they’re just these gray slugs who slosh around helplessly in a Yeerk pool.

But unlike a tapeworm or something, Yeerks don’t live in your intestines. They don’t infest your stomach. It’s your brain they infest.

They enter through your ear. They can squeeze and flatten themselves out to fit into very small spaces. They enter your ear and then your brain. They squeeze and ooze down into all the little gullies and ridges and folds of your brain. And then they interface with your brain. They control you. Totally, absolutely.

They can open your memories anytime they want. You have no privacy. None. No secrets. None. No escape. None. They are inside your dreams and thoughts and whims and wishes and desires.

Your brain becomes theirs. They own it. They lift your arms and bend your waist. They aim your eyes and focus on what they want to see. They eat for you. They go to the bathroom for you. And because they have total access to your every single thought, they can pass for you. Flawlessly. They can be you, while always remaining themselves. Your friends will never know. Your mother and father will never know. You will be alone, trapped, helpless, paralyzed in your own body. Unable to make the simplest decision for yourself. Unable to stop yourself when you betray the ones you love. Unable to warn those whom the Yeerks target next.

A Controller. That’s what we call a person who has been taken over by a Yeerk. A human- Controller. Although other species around the galaxy have already fallen to the Yeerks.

The Hork-Bajir are enslaved. The Gedds. The Taxxons, although those vile, evil worms did it voluntarily. And we’ve learned the Yeerks are moving against a race called the Leerans. And they are moving against Earth, where people live their normal lives never knowing. I guess

it’s like having cancer or something. You never know the tumor is growing inside you till it’s too late. So now you know why I’m cautious. Why we hide our true identities.

And who are we? We are Animorphs. Five kids given the power to morph into any animal we can touch. Five kids who just had the bad luck to be there when the Andalite prince Elfangor landed his damaged ship. Five of us and Elfangor’s little brother, the Andalite Aximili-Esgarrouth-Isthill.

We call him Ax.

So, there's the obligatory book beginning. I think it's shorter this time, I don't know.

quote:

<Who is this Schwarzenegger?> Ax demanded. <I have heard Marco use his name before.>

“Ah-nuld?” Marco demanded. “Who iss Ah-nuld? Ah-nuld iss der man, zat’s who Ah-nuld iss.”

<What man?>

“The man,” Marco explained, explaining nothing.

We were walking through the woods. It was a nice afternoon and school was out for the day. We’d had a half day due to some teacher conference. I don’t know what the teachers were conferring about, but it was fine by me. The sun was out. The clouds were fluffy and light, with big sweeps of blue in between. The breeze was warm but not hot. Sitting in school on a day like that would have been a crime.

And since we didn’t have anything important to deal with, we were conspiring together to do the thing we were never supposed to do: use our powers for personal, selfish reasons.

But it was tricky, see, because we knew Jake, my cousin and our sort-of leader, might get all tense and righteous on us. Not that he’s that way at all. He isn’t. But he’s very responsible. Someone has to be, and it sure isn’t me.

Still, if he decided to go along with this basically silly idea, we’d do it. If he decided to be against it, we might not do it. Or else Marco and I would do it and not tell Jake.

The trick was to present it the right way.

“See, Jake?” Marco said. “You see how totally, pathetically ignorant Ax is when it comes to really important human cultural stuff? Good grief! It makes you want to cry! He knows nothing. Nothing! He’s been on Earth for months and yet, has he experienced any really important human culture? No. And it’s a travesty. A crime. A pity. A shame. It’s a -”

“Oh, shu-u-ut up already,” Jake interrupted in exasperation. “Let me get this straight. There’s a new Planet Hollywood opening in town. And you and Rachel have decided you want to go, but you can’t get tickets. So you want to fly there in morph. You want to use our powers for a totally selfish
purpose. Is that it, basically?”

I shook my head. “No. Absolutely not. We want to do this for Ax. He needs to be exposed to culture. Me, I don’t care.” I grinned, unable to lie all that well.

“It’s an entertainment event!” Marco cried. “A major, major event. Stars! Famous people! Millionaires! Babes! A once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for the Ax-man to see Bruce and Demi.”

Cassie giggled out loud, then tried to look serious. Tobias, the remaining member of our group, was about a hundred feet above us, floating on a nice warm current of air. He was watching out for any intruders who might get close enough to notice that we were walking around with an Andalite.

In case you’ve never seen an Andalite, and of course you haven’t, they look like a strong blue deer with a mouthless face, with two extra eyes mounted on stalks, weak, human-looking arms, and a vicious scorpionlike tail.

So you can see why we’d want Tobias aloft to keep an eye open. A hawk’s eye, no less, which meant no one was going to be sneaking up on us.

Jake nodded at Marco, totally unimpressed. He cocked a skeptical eyebrow at me. “And you figure the human culture Ax needs to be exposed to is Bruce Willis playing a harmonica? Come on, spill it. Why are you into this, Rachel?”

“The whole cultural thing … Okay, look, as part of the deal they’re having a fashion show. Ralph Lauren. You know how I feel about Ralph Lauren.”

“Oh, man.”

“Plus …” Marco said, letting the word hang in the air. “Plus what?” Jake demanded.

I sighed. “Okay, Lucy Lawless is going to be there, too. But that’s not why I want to go.” Jake looked puzzled.

“Lucy Lawless,” Marco said. “She’s the actress who plays Xena: Warrior Princess. Rachel’s role model.”

Okay, Xena is not my role model. That’s just some stupid thing Marco made up. He calls me “Xena” to grind my nerves. Marco is good at grinding people’s nerves. It’s his specialty. If you could get paid for being annoying, Marco would be a millionaire.

But this wasn’t the time to slam Marco.

Jake kind of made a face.

“And oh, by the way,” Marco said with silky significance, “not that you care, Jake, but a Mr. O’Neal is going to be there. A Mr. Shaquille O’Neal.”

“Shaq?”

“Shaq.”

“Well, then we’re there,” Jake said.

Once again, Shaq tempts good men to sin. Is Planet Hollywood still big? I know they just opened a casino in Atlantic City a few years ago.

Chapter 2

quote:

We had what should have been the worst tickets at the whole event. We were at least a thousand feet from the main stage. A thousand feet, the length of three football fields plus a little more.

But we could see everything.

I could see flecks of spit when Bruce Willis played his harmonica. I could see Arnold’s nose hair. I could see Shaq’s shoelaces. I could see the individual buttons on the Ralph Lauren outfits. I could see Naomi Campbell’s pores.

And yet she still looked great.

I had the eyes of a bald eagle. And to a bald eagle, a thousand feet is nothing.

I spread my wings six feet wide, stretched out my wing tips like feathered fingers, and felt the updraft of warm air lift me up and up.

In the air around me, at different altitudes, at various distances, there were a pair of ospreys, a peregrine falcon, a northern harrier, and a red-tailed hawk.

<We look like a raptor convention,> Tobias muttered. <I mean, why not throw in a golden eagle and a few kestrels? If there are any birdwatchers down there, they must be freaking.>

<No one is watching us,> I said. <They’re watching Shaq jam with Bruce Willis and John Goodman.>

Tobias is trapped in red-tailed morph. He lives as a red-tail, hunting and killing like a hawk. He has regained his power to morph, even his power to morph into his old human body. But his human body is like any other morph: If he stays in it more than two hours, he’ll be trapped in it forever. He’d no longer be able to morph.

The show below us was on a huge outdoor stage. A massive crowd pressed up against the stage, surging and seething and sweating. And not looking all that great, either. I mean, from the air, mostly what you see of humans is their heads. You see little ovals of hair. And let me tell you something: There are a lot of bad haircuts out there.

Planet Hollywood was on the waterfront where the river cuts through downtown. Tall buildings loomed over it. Skyscrapers fifty and sixty stories tall. I could look right in the windows and see that an awful lot of people had stayed late after work and were gazing down at the stage through binoculars and telescopes.

<There she is!> I yelled in sudden surprise. <I mean … oh, that’s her. Lucy what’s-her-name.>

<Xena! It’s Xena!> Marco cried, delighted. <Okay, Rachel, the time has come. Fly down there, morph back to human, and you and Xena have it out. See who can kick whose butt.>

<Marco, Marco, Marco,> I sighed. <You do like to cling to your pathetic little dreams, don’t you?>

<Yes. I absolutely do. And Rachel? Don’t forget the leather outfit.>

Rachel knows she loves Lucy Lawless.

quote:

For a moment I considered teaching Marco a lesson. He was in osprey morph. Ospreys are big birds. But they might as well be chickens alongside a bald eagle. It would be so easy to go into a stoop, shoot past him, flare up beneath him, and make him tumble.

Nah. It wouldn’t be right.

I wheeled around in a huge circle that carried me close to the Kenny Building. The Kenny Building is one of those glass towers, all smooth and imposing. It sits almost alongside the river, separated from the water by a four-lane road and a strip of grass. The glass is slightly mirrored so normal eyes can’t see inside all that well. But bald-eagle eyes are adapted for hunting fish. They see through water very well, and glass is a lot like water.

I saw a man in an otherwise empty office on the next to highest floor. Sixty floors up. I don’t know why he caught my eye, but he did. I banked to go back toward him.

And that’s when he picked up the metal-framed chair and threw it into the window.

Crash! Glass exploded outward and fell spinning and sparkling to the ground. Big shards sliced through the tops of parked cars.

<What the …> I said. <Hey! Guys! Back here! Back here! To the Kenny Building, fast!>

<Is it Arnold?> Marco asked, like that was the only possible reason I could demand his attention.

But Cassie had spotted the crash of the window, too. <Oh, man! That guy is going to jump!>

<I believe he would be injured if he jumped,> Ax observed. <So I doubt he would - Ahh!>

The man had backed up and was running straight for the shattered window.

<There’s six of us,> I yelled. <Come on!>

<Not enough,> Tobias said. <But maybe we could make the river.>

I raced for the window. The others came flapping up from below, or plunging from above, or wheeling around from the same altitude. The man ran. He stuck his hands out to push away the last shards of glass. Then he launched himself, feet first, into space.

Because the Animorphs aren't allowed good things, chapter 2 is a suicide attempt.

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014

freebooter posted:

(very end of series spoilers) I also remember - can't even recall which book - a real creepy scene-setting moment at the start of a book when they're demorphing and morphing to birds after a generic mission, and there's a dying human Controller who got caught in the crossfire between them and the Hork Bajir, asking for a blanket because they're cold. And the Animorphs just ignore them and don't talk about it.

Megamorphs 4

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

Is Bruce Willis known for his harmonica playing?

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Edna Mode posted:

Is Bruce Willis known for his harmonica playing?

I dunno about "known", but it was a thing he publicly did, yeah

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Animorphs-Book 17:The Underground-Chapter 3

quote:

The wind ripped across my face. I used every last ounce of the eagle’s flying instincts to gain speed. Was it enough?

I was practically face-to-face with the man as he cleared the building. There was a frozen sort of Road Runner-Wile E. Coyote moment when he seemed to hang suspended in air. Then, he plummeted.

I opened my talons, stretched them forward, and caught a shred of collar as he dropped. Instantly his speed dragged me down and I sank a second talon in. Right around his collarbone. I think I managed to nick him pretty good, but that was the least of this guy’s problems.

I opened my wings, but I might as well have been opening an umbrella. Maybe I shaved one mile an hour off his speed. Not much.

Then Tobias swept in like a guided missile. He grabbed the man’s left arm. Jake was next, in his insanely fast peregrine falcon morph. He snagged the back of the man’s collar.

He was slowing. But not nearly enough.

<Glide toward the water!> Tobias yelled. <No, don’t flap, you idiots, glide!>

I forgave Tobias for calling us idiots. When it comes to flying, he is the expert. And it was a slightly tense situation.

“Aaaaahhhhhhh!” the man screamed so suddenly I nearly lost my grip. He was staring right at me, his left eye maybe an inch from my right eye. He seemed like a normal-looking, middle-aged guy.

Aside from the fact that he was screaming in terror.

Cassie and Ax arrived. Both grabbed talon-holds. Marco was last and he went for all that was left, grabbing the back of the man’s suit jacket.

<Line up your wings on my angle,> Tobias yelled. <Like you’re aiming for a level glide, but stay focused on the river!>

Six birds of prey clutched that man. He screamed. But he was falling slower. He was definitely falling slower. Still too fast to survive a concrete landing. But slower.

And he was moving forward. Foot by foot, he was moving toward the water’s edge.

Down we dropped.

Forward we edged.

I wanted to giggle. It was like some bizarre geometry problem. The sum of the squares of the angles … would we make it?

The ground rushed up at us. Cars zipped by at sixty miles an hour below. Then a strip of grass.

Way too close! We were no more than fifty feet up.

Water’s edge!

<Release!> Tobias cried. <Release, but watch out for the snapback!> We released. The man dropped. Freed of the weight, I went tumbling, wildly out of control, through the air. I flapped, I spun,

I flapped some more, and by a miracle, I righted myself.

Oh. That’s what Tobias had meant by “snap-back.”

ZOOOOOM! I blew across the surface of the water, so low my breastbone surfed the tops of the swells. Wings full again, I caught enough headwind to soar up. <Ah-HAH! Yow! Oh, that was SO cool!>

I exulted. Then I felt guilty. <Everyone okay?>

I wheeled around and looked for the man. He was not on the surface of the water. I peered down through the murky, salty river water.

The man was ten feet down, waving his arms madly, thrashing and blowing bubbles and looking terrified.

<You have GOT to be kidding,> I moaned. <He’s stuck in the mud on the river bottom! Cassie and Marco! Come on, we’re supposed to be waterbirds, right?>

I dove straight down into the water.

What a cool feeling. One minute warm air, the next second, cold water. Then not so cool. The water didn’t soak into my feathers, but it did make it impossible to flap my wings. I guess I’d assumed I would sort of fly underwater. Wrong. Eagles may dive and snag fish swimming near the surface, but
that does not make them ducks.

<Cassie! Marco! Don’t do it!> I yelled in thought-speak.

<No duh,> Marco said. <Just because you’re a lunatic, doesn’t mean we are.>

<Rachel! You have to morph!> Cassie said. <He’s struggling!>

I was already changing. Any time you morph, you have to pass through your true body on the way to another form. So there I was, a very wet bird, already feeling my lungs burn, underwater and being swept away by the current.

I morphed as fast as I could. Being terrified always helps.

As soon as I felt my human arms and legs beginning to appear, I fought my way toward the surface. I saw that shimmering, silvery barrier between air and water above me and I used my mutating limbs - feathery, half-bird, half-human stumps - to swim up and up toward air.

I stuck my face up out of the water.

“Aaarrrgghhh!!” someone screamed.

“Oh, my lord, what is it?”

Some people in a little motorboat. I guess they’d been listening to the music from the Planet Hollywood.

I sucked air and went down again.

“I think it was a dead body!”

Thanks, I thought. I hope that’s not a prophecy.

I focused on morphing a dolphin. I had the DNA inside me, and I’d morphed dolphin before. Now I was an eerie mix of human and dolphin. Gray rubber skin and legs melted together to make a tail and hands that were turning into flippers.

I powered back toward the poor suicide guy. Although by now I wasn’t feeling sorry for him, so much as really annoyed. I mean, what is it with people killing themselves? How big a moron do you have to be not to figure out that at least if you stay alive you have some hope, as opposed to being dead and having zero?

Besides, I was missing the fashion show.

He was a weird apparition as he loomed up in front of my dolphin snout. He had sunk up to his thighs in the mud. He’d fought his way partly out, but was still in the goo up to his knees.

And now he was limp, motionless. But I knew he sure wasn’t going to die if I could help it, the stupid, inconsiderate jerk.

I buried my snout in the small of his back, bent him backward till he was practically lying on me, and kicked like mad with my dolphin tail.

He came up with a shloooomp sound and a cloud of disturbed mud. I pushed him up to the surface and nosed him to the riverbank.

Strong human arms reached for him and yanked him up onto dry land.

Very strong human arms.

So we've learned that Rachel knows the difference between eagles and ducks, and is not particularly sympathetic to those who attempt suicide. Also, a bunch of raptors are probably not going to be able to hold a person aloft

Chapter 4

quote:

“Well, that’s just classic,” I complained the next day as we all hooked up at the mall food court after school. I had USA Today. I had our local newspaper and a bunch of others. Every one of them showed the same picture. And they all had basically the same headline:

Schwarzenegger Real-Life Hero:
Gives Mouth-to-Mouth to Drowning Man

One paper said:
Terminator Becomes Resuscitator

So now we know the truth behind his governor win. You know, they were republishing the books a while ago and updating references. They never got to this book, because the rereleases didn't really sell well, but with the celebrities they mention, I wonder if they would have changed them.

quote:

“This society is way too celebrity-obsessed,” I said. “It is so superficial.”

“Yeah, I hate that,” Cassie said. She gave me a mocking look. Cassie thinks I’m too concerned with looks and clothes. Cassie is my best friend and I would give my life for her, but you should see what she wears. For Cassie, dressing up is putting on clean jeans and socks that actually match.

“We were lucky,” Jake said. “No one happened to snap any pictures of a pack of raptors carrying the guy to the water. And no one happened to wonder why a dolphin would be so far upstream from the ocean.”

“The man was lucky, too,” Cassie said.

Marco shook his head. “No way. Lucky would have been getting mouth-to-mouth from Naomi Campbell.”

“Where are the cinnamon buns?” Ax asked. “Tobias said he would get some. Cinnamon buns. Bun-zuh.”

Ax was there in his human morph, of course, since the sight of an Andalite hanging around the food court would have attracted just a little attention. But the real Ax did not have a mouth. Did not have the ability to make spoken sounds. And worst of all, did not have a sense of taste.

So when he morphed to human, he tended to become fixated on taste and sounds. Especially taste. And especially, for some strange reason, on cinnamon buns.

“I wonder what happens to George Edelman now?” Cassie asked.

“Who?”

She rolled her eyes at me. “The guy. The man. The man whose life you saved, Rachel.”

“Oh. Is that his name?”

“Yes, it was in all the newspaper articles,” she said, exasperated with me.

I shrugged. “Okay, okay. So his name is George Edelman. Big deal.”

Cassie leaned across the table. “Rachel, you saved this man’s life. Without you the rest of us wouldn’t have seen him in time. Without you he’d have been a splat on the concrete. You are a hero. A human life was saved. He may go on to cure cancer or something. And you don’t remember his name?”

Now that she mentioned it, I did feel like maybe I should know the man’s name. On the other hand … “Hey, wait a minute. This guy isn’t anything to me,” I said. “It’s not like I’m responsible for him.”

Marco made a back and forth gesture with his hand. “I don’t know. Isn’t it the Chinese who say if you save a man he becomes your responsibility? Or maybe it’s the Japanese. The Greeks? Someone. I saw it in a movie.”

I shrugged again. Now I was feeling defensive. “It was mostly just a goof, you know? I just wanted to see if we could do it. It was …” I searched my mind for the right word. “It was a challenge. That’s it, a challenge.”

Tobias arrived, carrying a Cinnabon cinnamon bun. One of the large ones. Dripping with icing and smelling of cinnamon. Lots of cinnamon.

Ax’s human eyes went wide. His mouth hung open slightly. It was weird, because Ax’s human morph is made up of DNA from Cassie, Jake, Marco, and me. So you’re always seeing something familiar in him, you know? Like maybe it’s your own mouth hanging open, or Marco’s eyes.

Tobias set the paper plate down on the table. “I figured we could all have a bite and then leave the rest for -” He stopped and stared at Ax with an expression of amusement mixed with awe.

Ax had snagged the bun. He’d snagged the plate and the plastic fork, too. He was busy shoving them into his mouth. Bun and plate and fork. Great big huge bun and little paper plate.

I reached over and grabbed the end of the plastic fork. Half of it was already in Ax’s mouth. I yanked it out. It was too late to save the plate.

The five of us just sat there for a few minutes and watched as Ax chewed and slobbered and gulped and shoved with his fingertips. It was a little like watching a python try to swallow a small pig.

“George Edelman, huh?” I said, breaking the spell.

“Yeah,” Jake said. “But everyone keep an eye on TV and newspapers for a while, okay? If someone noticed our … activities … we want to know about it. Mostly, we have to hope George Edelman keeps his mouth shut.”

“People will figure he’s nuts,” Marco pointed out. “No one is gonna listen to a guy who tried to kill himself.”

It's interesting about Rachel. She's heroic, but doesn't like taking credit for it or recognizing her own heroism.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Here is an bald eagle floating and swimming, if you wanted a visual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oznph6m9lOs

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Animorphs-Book 17:The Underground-Chapter 5

quote:

Three days later. My house. My still-not-completely-fixed house.

“Jordan! JORDAN!”

That would be me, yelling. I was in the kitchen. I had opened the refrigerator and discovered that my white paper container of leftover Chinese food was gone.

“Jor-DAN! You little thief.”

“What?”

I turned away from the refrigerator and slammed straight into the kitchen island. We didn’t used to have a kitchen island. But our kitchen had been annihilated when my bedroom had collapsed down into it. The construction had been pretty shoddy, I guess. And it hadn’t helped at all that I had morphedinto an African elephant in my bedroom. Fortunately, no one in my family knew that but me. Anyway, we were in the process of getting a much cooler kitchen now. My mom’s a lawyer and she got the insurance company to pay up right away. Plus the builder of the house was so scared that something else would happen, he was doing all the labor free.

I felt bad about the builder getting blamed. But what was I supposed to say? “Mom, it was me. See, I was allergic to this crocodile morph, and it made me morph out of control so that I …” You get the idea. Wasn’t going to happen.

Anyway, I slammed into the new kitchen island and fought down the urge to say something I shouldn’t repeat. But I was mad, and now I was mad with a bruise on my hip, so I stuck my finger in my little sister’s face and said, “You! You ate my Szechuan shrimp! I was saving it. I want it. I want it
right now.”

A couple years ago that would have scared Jordan. But she’s getting older now, and more independent. Plus more of a smart-mouth.

“Rachel, I took your stupid shrimp yesterday. And I threw it out.”

“What! You threw out my Szechuan shrimp? You are always doing something with my leftovers.”

She shook her head slowly, pityingly. “It was already a week old, duh. It was too old, duh. It would have made you barf up your kidneys, duh. Shrimp doesn’t exactly stay good forever, duh. And oh, by the way, did I mention, duh?”

“You should have asked me!” I cried, in no mood to be reasonable.

“Okay, Rachel,” Jordan said placidly. “Should I have thrown out your rancid, bacteria-crawling, moldy leftovers like Mom asked me to, or should I have left them for you to eat so you’d end up having to get your stomach pumped?”

Well. When she put it that way. Boy, I hate when someone gets the better of me. But I could not think of a single really crushing comeback. So I said, “I’ll let it go this time.”

Jordan rolled her eyes. “Thank you, thank you, Queen Rachel. I’m so glad you’ll let me live.”

Shrimp doesn't keep, even in the fridge. If you have leftovers, eat them the next day. Your intestines will be glad.

quote:

My mom walked in, carrying two leather briefcases. One was normal size. The other was one of those big, kind of square ones. She hefted them both up onto the counter.

She looked tired, like she usually does when she gets home from work. She’s not all that high up in the firm, so she works constantly. But she grinned. “Hey! Congratulate me. I’m a celebrity. Did you girls eat? How was school? Where’s Sarah? And don’t tell me she’s at Tisha’s house again. Every time she comes home from there I end up buying her another Barbie.”

“School was fine,” I said. “We haven’t had dinner. You want me to make something?”

“Or we could order out,” Jordan said smugly. “Rachel would like some pus-oozing, rotten shrimp.”

“Mom! Mom!” Sarah yelled, tearing in through the door from the backyard. “Tisha says they have a lawyer Barbie! A lawyer Barbie. Just like you!”

“So what’s this about being a celebrity?” I asked.

“Oh, well, I was mostly kidding. You know that guy in the papers a few days ago? The one who was rescued by Arnold Schwarzman? He was on TV and CNN.”

“Schwarzenegger?”

“No, the man he rescued. Anyway, guess what? I’m his lawyer. His family says he’s incompetent. They want to -”

“Incompetent? Is that where you have to wear those adult diapers?” Jordan asked.

“No, honey, not incontinent. They are alleging he’s incompetent. Not able to look after his own affairs. That’s what they allege.”

“Nuts,” I translated. “Wacko. Allegedly wacko.”

“Don’t say wacko,” my mother said, looking pained. “Mentally unbalanced will do fine. His family want to have him institutionalized permanently.”

“So what are you supposed to do?” I asked. “Prove he’s not wacko? I mean, he is, right? He jumped off a building.”

“Lawyer Barbie could save him,” Sarah said.

“Actually, it’s a little worse than that,” my mom said, gathering Sarah up into her arms. “Apparently this poor man claims he has an alien living in his head.”

My heart beat three times real fast. Then stopped.

“He calls them Yerks or Yorks or something.”

Oops. Also, if you're heart beats three times quickly and then stops, you have heart palpatations. So while you're in the hospital for the food poisoning from the shrimp, you should get that checked out too.

Chapter 6

quote:

“So that’s the nuthouse,” Marco said with satisfaction as we all gazed up the hill at the pleasant looking but weirdly quiet two-story structure. “I always suspected I’d end up here.”

He gave me a wink. I had to laugh. See, I was about to make that same joke about him. He beat me to it.

Cassie sighed. “I don’t think the patients probably like to be called nuts,” she said.

“Of course not,” I agreed. “They’d have to be nuts to want to be called nuts.”

Marco gave me a discreet low five behind my back.

<Cassie’s right. It’s not politically correct to call nuts nuts,> Tobias said.

Cassie looked at me. “You know, I could swear I heard that bird talking. I must be nuts.”

We all laughed. Even Jake, who was trying, with the usual total lack of success, to get us all to behave seriously.

We were gathered near the Rupert J. Kirk State Mental Health Facility. It was two floors of red brick. There was a little fountain just outside the front door, and lots of shade trees and lawn chairs sitting out on the grass. It could have been an old folks’ home, or a slightly aged apartment building. Except for the fact that it was encircled by a high chain-link fence. And there were three strands of barbed wire atop that fence. And there was heavy wire mesh on the windows. But aside from all that, it looked perfectly nice.

I'm assuming Rupert J. Kirk is some sort of inside joke or reference of Applegate's, but I don't know what it is.

quote:

“Who else has the willies?” Cassie wondered.

I held up my hand.

“What are willies?” Ax asked. He was in human morph.

<A vague, creepy feeling,> Tobias explained. <The subtle, unsettling sense that something you can’t quite see is desperately wrong.>

“The feeling I get when I reach the school door every day,” Jake muttered.

“School, nuthouse, what’s the difference when you get right down to it?” Marco asked philosophically. “Dumb rules and bad food in both places.”

Jake jerked his head to indicate we should move along. We were on the sidewalk across the street, lurking along a row of parked cars. And what’s weird is, I swear the sun went behind a cloud the moment we reached the facility.

We walked along, with Tobias flitting from tree to tree overhead.

“Easy enough to bust in,” Jake observed. “A fence, a door, big deal. Not like the Fenestre mansion or the Yeerk pool. Easy.”

“Yeah,” I agreed. “So we get in, we find this George Edelman and try to figure out if he knows something about the Yeerks. Then we leave Marco behind and get out.”

Jake raised an eyebrow. “Okay, I think we may have to put a limit on the number of nut jokes. This is serious.”

Marco made a deprecating noise. “Nah. This isn’t serious.”

“Every time we start to take something for granted we end up getting hammered,” Jake warned. He grinned in anticipation. “We’d have to be nuts to get careless.”

No one laughed.

“I say, we’d have to be nuts … oh, fine. Don’t laugh. I don’t care.”

“We need an open window or something,” I said. I looked over the building. No open windows that I could see. It was thick glass and heavy wire mesh all the way.

“We can’t hurt anyone,” Jake pointed out. “No fighting. Those are innocent people in there. We can’t take the risk of hurting anyone. It’s too far to travel in fly or cockroach morph. Hmmm. Maybe not that easy, after all.”

Just then, like an answer to our prayers, a truck drove up the driveway and around to the far side of the facility.

“Was that a food truck?” Jake asked. “Tobias? Can you go take a look?”

Tobias flapped away and came back in less than a minute. <It’s a food delivery. The truck looks pretty big, and it’s dark in the back.>

Jake nodded. “Okay, I don’t think more than three of us should go. We morph to bird, fly into the truck, morph to human, then to cockroach. We hide in some of the food and they carry us right in. Rachel, this is your guy. I mean, you saved him. So you’re in. I’ll go. Tobias doesn’t have a useful morph, and Ax is too obvious when he passes through his Andalite phase. So it’s Marco or Cassie.”

We flipped a coin. Marco won. Then we explained to Ax what it meant to flip a coin.

It took twenty minutes for us to find a place to morph into seagulls. Seagulls were less noticeable than birds of prey. Unfortunately, the place we found was a Dumpster. It was an empty Dumpster, but still …

As soon as I had my snowy white wings, I was up and out of there. We zoomed around, gaining altitude, and watched as Ax and Cassie retrieved our shoes and outer clothes. We still can’t morph regular clothing, just whatever is almost skintight. In my case a leotard.

Tobias stayed up at a higher altitude, looking for trouble of any kind.

The three of us waited and watched the back of the grocery truck. There were two guys unloading it. One looked like the driver. The other was wearing a white apron. Probably a cook or something from the facility itself.

<We need to time this right,> Jake said. <I don’t want to be a seagull trapped inside a truck.>

<One one thousand, two one thousand, three one thousand …> Marco counted off the seconds between trips by the truck driver or white apron guy.

<How about right now?> I said. I spilled air from my wings and dove toward the back of the truck just as the driver went into the building, pushing a dolly loaded with tomato crates.

Jake and Marco fell in beside me and we swooped, swift and neat, into the dark of the truck. I opened my wings and tilted my tail down to kill my speed. Then I took a quick glance around and used my remaining momentum to zip over the top of a wall of cardboard boxes and land in a cramped
area behind.

I felt pretty pleased with myself. Marco and Jake landed beside me. Marco landed a little clumsily and sort of rolled and fluttered into the wall of the truck.

<That was dumb, Rachel,> Jake said. <You should have waited.>

<I knew it would work,> I said. I seethed a little at Jake calling me dumb. He wasn’t always so careful. Of course, he is our unofficial leader, so I guess he feels responsible. Although as far as I’m concerned, I’m responsible for me.

<Okay, let’s demorph,> Jake said. <But this space looks pretty tight back here. So everyone watch your elbows.>

“I’m telling you, I saw some birds fly in here,” an irate voice said. “You see birds? I don’t see any birds. Let’s get this unloaded. I’m on overtime here, and my company don’t pay overtime.”

I heard some grunting and the sound of more boxes being lifted. I began to demorph as fast as I could.

So they're in, sort of, halfway.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Everyone failing to laugh at Jake's joke (jape?) burns, it really does.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

If only Jordan knew Rachel was a shapeshifter who could just morph out the food poisoning if she needed to. Then Rachel could have all the gross mounds of decomposition bacteria she wanted.

Also, the first time I read this book, I was just as lost as Ax was with the Schwarzenegger bit. I had heard of The Terminator, so I got it when the newspaper headlines came up, but I still had no idea how to say it. I missed a lot of the pop culture references in the books, actually.

Rachel's mother posted:

He calls them Yerks or Yorks or something.
Wait, is it... not pronounced Yerk? That explains why I called them Yeeks until the show came out and used the Yerk pronunciation.

QuickbreathFinisher
Sep 28, 2008

by reading this post you have agreed to form a gay socialist micronation.
`

Shwoo posted:

Wait, is it... not pronounced Yerk? That explains why I called them Yeeks until the show came out and used the Yerk pronunciation.

I've always pronounced it yeerk, like year with a k, because that's how it's spelled. Pretty sure I'm in the minority, and I don't think there's much of a difference in the American accent, but i never got where people were getting that an -eerk spelling makes an -erk/-urk sound.

Aaaand boy the jokes about mental health in this one did not age well.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

Aaaand boy the jokes about mental health in this one did not age well.

Yeah, it makes you realise the '90s was actually a full-on 25 years ago even though I could swear they were just yesterday.

quote:

“The feeling I get when I reach the school door every day,” Jake muttered.

This... doesn't feel very Jake! If the Animorphs didn't happen I'm sure he'd be captain of the football team, King of Prom, then settle down as a middle manager at an insurance firm or something, with a nagging feeling that he'd peaked in high school

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

freebooter posted:

This... doesn't feel very Jake! If the Animorphs didn't happen I'm sure he'd be captain of the football team, King of Prom, then settle down as a middle manager at an insurance firm or something, with a nagging feeling that he'd peaked in high school

Unless it’s a "haha, look at me fitting in, like one if the team, hoho" kind of moment

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Eh, Jake is very much an A type personality. It doesn't seem like an ego thing but he still very much needs control, direction, etc. And I could totally buy that without the real seriousness of running a guerrilla war against aliens he would be agonising over making the basketball team or worrying about whether doing debate would fit with his schedule and if Tom would make fun of him for it.

I think outwardly Jake is the kind of person who would be a successful high school jock but inwardly he would be in constant angst.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
Maybe this is obvious to everyone, but I've forgotten: how old are they supposed to be at this point, and how much time has passed since book one?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MrNemo posted:

Eh, Jake is very much an A type personality. It doesn't seem like an ego thing but he still very much needs control, direction, etc. And I could totally buy that without the real seriousness of running a guerrilla war against aliens he would be agonising over making the basketball team or worrying about whether doing debate would fit with his schedule and if Tom would make fun of him for it.

I think outwardly Jake is the kind of person who would be a successful high school jock but inwardly he would be in constant angst.

Eh. We know that Jake tried out for the basketball team and failed.

My impression of Jake, between my childhood memories of the series and this thread, is that he was kind of coasting through life and never found something he truly cared about enough to take seriously and really commit to. I think he'd be the "He has incredible potential if only he'd apply himself" sort until he eventually found the thing that clicked with him, maybe after changing majors a few times in college.

For good or ill, the war is that thing and I think it brings out both the best and the worst in Jake as the series goes on.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

rollick posted:

Maybe this is obvious to everyone, but I've forgotten: how old are they supposed to be at this point, and how much time has passed since book one?

Time's kind of indeterminate, but say they're around high 13, low 14 by this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

I've always pronounced it yeerk, like year with a k, because that's how it's spelled. Pretty sure I'm in the minority, and I don't think there's much of a difference in the American accent, but i never got where people were getting that an -eerk spelling makes an -erk/-urk sound.

I’ve also always pronounced it like “year + k.” Because that’s how it’s spelled!

I think maybe it’s just an unusual word - I can’t think of anything that rhymes with “yeerk” that would make people familiar with pronouncing an “eerk” sound, but there are words like “clerk” or “jerk” that prime you for “erk” rhymes. People are weird about convincing themselves they can’t pronounce sounds they aren’t familiar with.