Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Unless posted:

2007 LF pics thread called and wants its “post your hottest debate chicks” misogyny back

homina, homina, homina!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jellidelic
Nov 28, 2011

uber_stoat posted:

the hanky code thing is really old. i read a book that stated that sex workers in Weimar Berlin would advertise what services they provided by the color of their bootlaces. may be wholly apocryphal, i dunno.

ive noticed that almost every subculture had a relatively short period where things were codified like that.
like people still talk about lace colors in the punk scene but it was really only a thing in NYHC for a few years.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jellidelic posted:

ive noticed that almost every subculture had a relatively short period where things were codified like that.
like people still talk about lace colors in the punk scene but it was really only a thing in NYHC for a few years.

I can't speak for the US but bootlace colours is absolutely still a thing in the UK

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
which laces are the bad ones cause no one gives the same answer

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
https://i.imgur.com/ncviQ1k.mp4

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Bored Online posted:

red, at least a long time ago

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

Flavius Aetass posted:

red, at least a long time ago

people say this, but they also say white and yellow so really the answer is you cant wear boots and look too aggressive

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Proust Malone posted:

no, just that marines are the ones guarding the White House. I meant it equally to say the Air Force guys who man the bottom of Air Force one etc. so if you see a picture of a president saluting someone chances are that person is a marine. point is returning the salute only started with Reagan. why didn’t previous presidents salute? even say Eisenhower?
because the president is a civilian.
Oh okay, I see.

Yeah holy poo poo is has America become militaristic compared to almost anywhere else.

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

:popeye:

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah holy poo poo is has America become militaristic compared to almost anywhere else.

Most third-world countries become that way, yeah.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bored Online posted:

It involves a lot of context clues, like if you've got red laces, do you also have a shaved head and a cross tattoo on your middle finger and a bulldog and you're wrapped in a union jack and screaming during a FLA march

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh okay, I see.

lots of soviet block countries still are like that, look at Belarus or Russia, also Poland in the last 5 years

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

has anyone itt written a guide for broke people to survive this? I drank oj and took a shower but that didn't fix my lungs

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

i say swears online posted:

has anyone itt written a guide for broke people to survive this? I drank oj and took a shower but that didn't fix my lungs

* stay hydrated
* keep yourself fed even if you don't have an appetite
* sleep on your stomach - it's supposed to help you breathe easier

the stuff that costs money is taking Vitamin D for general wellness, baby aspirin for preventing clots, and taking acetaminophen/ibuprofen to manage your fever and pain

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ugh yeah I'm way pukier than I ever expected

edit also I'm posting in the wrong thread lol

i say swears online has issued a correction as of 08:39 on Feb 1, 2021

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

cspam rate my fit

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

* stay hydrated

the stuff that costs money is taking Vitamin D for general wellness, baby aspirin for preventing clots, and taking acetaminophen/ibuprofen to manage your fever and pain

I'm not a doctor but doesn't acetaminophen have needless risks associated. keep hearing that it causes kidney issues when taken long term, liver damage if you overdose which for some people is 7 normal pills in a day, linked to autism when given to young kids. or am I falling for some bullshit

ibuprofen was invented because some chemist wanted a painkiller he could take while drunk & it also fights inflammation as well as fever and pain, which it fights better. it also is greatly enhanced by taking caffeine with it. ibprofen supremacy

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
better option is morphine if you can get your hands on it

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

gradenko_2000 posted:

* stay hydrated

And get a humidifier if you don’t have one. Its going to massively improve your quality of life and comfort, make you able to efficiently eliminate dirty mucus and pathogens (and help you breathe efficiently), and keep the outside and inside of your nose from cracking and breaking.

And don’t take anything that will dry out the inside of your sinus like a vasoconstrictor.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Antonymous posted:

I'm not a doctor but doesn't acetaminophen have needless risks associated. keep hearing that it causes kidney issues when taken long term, liver damage if you overdose which for some people is 7 normal pills in a day, linked to autism when given to young kids. or am I falling for some bullshit

ibuprofen was invented because some chemist wanted a painkiller he could take while drunk & it also fights inflammation as well as fever and pain, which it fights better. it also is greatly enhanced by taking caffeine with it. ibprofen supremacy

the acetaminophen / ibuprofen debate was early in the COVID days and I'm not sure where we landed on that, so I'll defer to folks who might know more

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Ok Comboomer posted:

And get a humidifier if you don’t have one. Its going to massively improve your quality of life and comfort, make you able to efficiently eliminate dirty mucus and pathogens (and help you breathe efficiently), and keep the outside and inside of your nose from cracking and breaking.

And don’t take anything that will dry out the inside of your sinus like a vasoconstrictor.

Just make sure you follow the cleaning instructions or nasty poo poo will grow in it.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Antonymous posted:

i am a doctor and this is the wrong way around, acetaminophen (or paracetamol as we call it here) is very safe as long as you don't OD (which in most people is >3.5-4g/day) or have chronic liver disease. Ibuprofen is a stronger analgesic and an anti-inflammatory but regular use causes stomach ulceration and long-term use is associated with kidney failure and heart disease. It can also make asthma worse if you have it. in the short term there's no harm in taking them together.

idk if this is a cultural thing, when I did an elective in the US everyone was weirdly anti-paracetamol but I'm pretty sure the NHS would collapse without it

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ok Comboomer posted:

I've thought about buying one on multiple occasions but they aren't cheap and the fancy looking pricey ones all that the whole "hepa air purifier" thing with air filters and claim to capture dust/dander.

TCL Air Purifier for Home with True HEPA H13 Filter, Air Cleaner Captures Smoke Dust Pet Dander, Quiet in Bedroom Kitchen Bathroom with Ambient Light
Looks nice and has a bunch of extras for $70 but this

Vicks Filter-Free Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier, Medium Room, 1.2 Gallon Tank – Visible Cool Mist Humidifier for Baby, Kids and Adult Rooms, Bedrooms and More, Works with Vicks VapoPads
looks pretty simple but is still $40 on sale.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

pentyne posted:

I've thought about buying one on multiple occasions but they aren't cheap and the fancy looking pricey ones all that the whole "hepa air purifier" thing with air filters and claim to capture dust/dander.

TCL Air Purifier for Home with True HEPA H13 Filter, Air Cleaner Captures Smoke Dust Pet Dander, Quiet in Bedroom Kitchen Bathroom with Ambient Light
Looks nice and has a bunch of extras for $70 but this

Vicks Filter-Free Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier, Medium Room, 1.2 Gallon Tank – Visible Cool Mist Humidifier for Baby, Kids and Adult Rooms, Bedrooms and More, Works with Vicks VapoPads
looks pretty simple but is still $40 on sale.

TaoTronics is the best Amazon brand and they have a jillion models between $30 and 100 that kick the crap out of the vicks.

my parents have this one and it’s good:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DFD6BJ3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_CA0Y9GXJN3AM8740Q4EB

this one is also good:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H2717BM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_YJEM56F52N5W5G32F9P3

if you really can’t/won’t swing it, hanging out for a while in a steamy bath/shower/bathroom can work. Take 3-4 hot showers throughout the day and do your best to really drain your face as best as you can. You will feel exponentially better if you make an effort to do it and don’t merely hang out in bed like I have.

You want to clear out your nose but you don’t want to take anything that’s going to dry you out or stop you from producing as much mucus as your body deems necessary.

Neti pots also work really well for a lot of people, but you gotta know your nose. I have some sinus/septum deformities that make Neti pots risky if there’s a lot of inflammation up there, because water can actually get trapped in my hyper-tight sinuses and give me colossal (like vertigo-inducing) pain. But neti pots are great in general and maybe you don’t have my problems

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Wheeee posted:

cspam rate my fit

It doesn't look like any of that fits

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/PoorlyAgedStuff/status/1356122155189219330?s=20

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
the doctors gave my gf a ton of acetaminophen when she was in the hospital with covid, and that combined with all the other poo poo they gave her nuked her liver lol ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Delthalaz posted:

better option is morphine if you can get your hands on it
yea the Tylenol just gets in the way.

I can take a separate Tylenol myself if I really need it, tyvm

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
https://twitter.com/hannystyles69/status/1356000891875205121?s=19

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

https://twitter.com/robrousseau/status/1355690054451130370

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Jellidelic posted:

When it trickled into the midwest it was taken as canon and adopted by skins, so wearing red laces or something meant they were evil skinheads. Or the other way around, I forget. Just that skinheads really did use a shoelace code to show if they were racist or not. Local scenes in flyover states can be pretty sad.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Syd Midnight posted:

When it trickled into the midwest it was taken as canon and adopted by skins, so wearing red laces or something meant they were evil skinheads. Or the other way around, I forget. Just that skinheads really did use a shoelace code to show if they were racist or not. Local scenes in flyover states can be pretty sad.

i mean, i was never a skinhead but not everything revolves around NYC

kinda dumb to act like something is over when new yorkers stop doing it if it's still going strong elsewhere

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Flavius Aetass posted:

kinda dumb to act like something is over when new yorkers stop doing it if it's still going strong elsewhere

https://youtu.be/CvF9Oc4d2UY

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Flavius Aetass posted:

i mean, i was never a skinhead but not everything revolves around NYC

rip this poster, killed by the legitimate ny mafia (unlike those fake chicago ones)

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

cannot believe this gangtag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Unless posted:

2007 LF pics thread called and wants its “post your hottest debate chicks” misogyny back