Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Puke chat: my at the time 5 yo (he is now 8) came out of his room, to the kitchen to tell us “I’m not feeling good” before abruptly letting loose with a torrent of puke directed to the floor between his feet. I literally jumped across the room hands outstretched like I would catch it, thought better of it and dodged the stream. My wife threw a dish towel. I remember this all like it happened in slo mo.

The puke was bright blue because he had been at a birthday party in one of those godawful children play centres and it was probably some bug he got off the climbing apparatus or perhaps the really dodgy pizza the place served. The blue came from a pirate-themed cake.

We got him all cleaned up, cleaned the hallway, settled him into bed after some stuff to settle his stomach - then he barfed like the kid from the exorcist all over his bed, himself, and the dog who had jumped up on the bed to curl up next to him (the dog was completely unphased) It took days to get all trace of the smell out of his room. The barf bucket we had provided was completely clean, however!

It’s a weird feeling to have this mix of compassion and yet also rage. Like, just hit the goddamn bucket aaaaaaaa so much more work now! Ah well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Yeah learned that the hard way, don't put them to bed until you're sure they did all the puking they need to...

For any new parents who, by chance, didn't get them yet: Get waterproof mattress protectors, and get at least two of them.
IKEA has cheap ones and they're fine.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Yeah learned that the hard way, don't put them to bed until you're sure they did all the puking they need to...

For any new parents who, by chance, didn't get them yet: Get waterproof mattress protectors, and get at least two of them.
IKEA has cheap ones and they're fine.

Yeah! In addition to the mattress protectors we also use "pea pod" toppers which are great for both illness or bed wetting accidents, they are easy to just pull off/swap in the middle of the night without having to pull off the fitted sheet etc.

https://www.peapodmats.com/pages/kids More for convenience factor, really.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Our daughter experienced the snow for the first time today. Poor kid was so confused by it. :lol:

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

calandryll posted:

Our daughter experienced the snow for the first time today. Poor kid was so confused by it. :lol:

We had snow in Texas a few weeks ago. Kiddo was SO EXCITED TO GO OUTSIDE AND PLAY IN IT....until he got out there and realized it was cold. He had this betrayed look on his face like “NOONE TOLD ME THIS WHITE poo poo WOULD BE COLD”. He was so upset.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
My 4yo was so excited to cover every inch of yard with snow angels. My 3yo laid down next to her once, waved his hands in the air quickly and was done with that. He set about brushing the snow off everything.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Our lot is on a slope so our backyard is great for sledding. Usually have tracks in it from neighbor kids whenever it snows.

But we don't have a sled, because we live in the south and I think maybe Target has sleds for like a week each year.

Got like an inch of accumulation a few days ago and day care was delayed. Tried to use a baking sheet for a sled for our daughter but was a big disappointment.

Bit of a contrast from growing up in a place where there's always local politics about snowmobile paths, and you know SOMEONE who has a ice fishing shack.

The south is weird. But tbh I hate snow and it's nice to have more than 3 weeks of summer, so I'll take it. Our daughter loves it though, so does our dog, so it's kinda sad.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
A big, folded up cardboard box works as a sled in a pinch, just roll the front up a bit like a toboggan and have your kid hold on to that on the way down the hill.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
There is something I am confused about as a new parent. I have 30 days from date of birth to add baby to my health insurance, which requires his SSN. However, the SSN can take up to 8 weeks to arrive. Am I missing something?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

remigious posted:

There is something I am confused about as a new parent. I have 30 days from date of birth to add baby to my health insurance, which requires his SSN. However, the SSN can take up to 8 weeks to arrive. Am I missing something?

Mine said to enter 000-00-0000 and then go back and fill it out when you get the card in the mail.

I'm sure your insurance does something similar, BCBS had it on their FAQ online, but you might have to call them to figure out the exact procedure.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

remigious posted:

Is this employer-provided insurance? If so, contact HR. They should know the procedure. IIRC that's what we did for both ours and they were different companies/policies each time. I don't think we filled anything out, they just did something in the background to add the kids.

It will absolutely take weeks/months to receive SSN (and birth certificate, so don't wait up on that either). There are ways around this, but you'll probably have to talk to a person.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

remigious posted:

I got the birth certificate and SSN in two weeks so easily hit the 30 day health insurance grace period.

Unfortunately my company didn’t correctly post date the coverage to birth so here’s a $9,000 bill in the baby’s name.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Thanks guys. I actually have a call scheduled with my boss today, so I’ll ask her for HR’s number :)

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Can anyone make recommendations for some sort of software I can put on my laptop that, when running, puts it in a state that's optimized for a child bashing mindlessly at the keys and mouse while still being somewhat interactive? Or would my best bet be finding something like SteadyState (if it even still exists) to keep a drive image on hand to return the laptop to usability? What about the software suites they use for library computers in the kids' sections? Anything like that for parents (that's also free/open source)?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
windows+L has worked for me, so far.
But then my kid didn't yet figure out that she can lock my account out by pressing Enter too many times.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Well I'd like something she can interact with too, and maybe start learning some computer skills.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Mine had some fun recently pressing buttons in a word processor window, but then she's only 2.
How old is/are yours?

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Mine is three, and before pandemic she was having fun banging at the library computer keyboards and mice, but they had a bunch of educational software. I just don't want to hand the laptop to her and then have her inadvertently uninstall my motherboard drivers or whatever.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Number one, make a non-privileged user account for your kid so they can't uninstall Windows (you should do this for yourself too).

My kid's favorite programs are Paint, Notepad and Scratch Jr (via GitHub). I recommend a small mouse, maybe even a mini travel mouse. I think she was close to 4 when she started using these programs completely without guidance but I can't remember. We tooled around together before that.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
I have not really tooled around with it but maybe Windows kiosk mode would work?

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-set-kiosk-mode-windows-10-october-2018-update
https://hexnode.medium.com/what-is-windows-kiosk-mode-a43b3ed62efb

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

My son is constantly surprising me.

Tonight he climbed himself down off the bed safely, with me keeping a hand on him so he wouldn't fall, but he didn't need it. Then he crawled to the bathroom, pulled open the curtain over our bathroom door crawled inside, pulled open the shower curtain and tried to climb into the tub because GODDAMMIT HE WAS 5 MINUTES LATE FOR BATH TIME.

He's crazy good at being mobile and it's exhausting trying to keep up sometimes.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Our daughter has decided to learn sarcasm at not quite 2 and a half. I have to be careful what I say. Guess me being a poo poo as a kid means my kid is going to be just like me. Lol.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I'm probably gonna be encouraging some bad behavior in the future because I think my kids antics are funny and laugh at her. I probably won't be laughing when she kicks me in the teeth at some point.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

calandryll posted:

Our daughter has decided to learn sarcasm at not quite 2 and a half. I have to be careful what I say. Guess me being a poo poo as a kid means my kid is going to be just like me. Lol.

You never know, my kids are super emotional but I'm a robot so I'm at a loss. Daughter is like "why am I sad?" and I'm like "I dunno just stop lol".

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Use a cheap laptop for that because once the 3 year old figures out the keys can be pried off the keyboard that will be more fun than any silly program on their.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

L0cke17 posted:

My son is constantly surprising me.

Tonight he climbed himself down off the bed safely, with me keeping a hand on him so he wouldn't fall, but he didn't need it. Then he crawled to the bathroom, pulled open the curtain over our bathroom door crawled inside, pulled open the shower curtain and tried to climb into the tub because GODDAMMIT HE WAS 5 MINUTES LATE FOR BATH TIME.

He's crazy good at being mobile and it's exhausting trying to keep up sometimes.

I relate so much to this. We bathe our son in a tub in the bottom of the shower and if we're late he carries the tub into the shower himself and sits in it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Baby is at three months and in the last couple of days we can put her in a lounger and she enjoys watching us cook or clean, general activities, which is cool to have her partly interactive, or at least a keen observer

Also means she gets bored very easily, and maybe worse, she knows when we're not in the room. On Sunday at the in laws, I saw her wake up and was very panicked looking around not recognizing stuff and then saw me and calmed down. She's also bored to tears in the mama roo at the house and gets very loud if nobody is around. We put her in the hand me down baby bjorn with the spinning toy, and that occupied her for about 2 days but now she just associates the baby bjorn with her being abandoned or whatever. Baby has a serious case of FOMO

Also, noticing the baby trying to fight sleep, which is super annoying, as otherwise she's pretty chill, but gets increasingly fussy right up until the time when she finally passes out

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Our son has discovered that along with his newfound love of bath time he ALSO LOVES SPLASHING EVERY WATER HE CAN FIND.

This means dog bowls, glasses of water, and toilet bowls >.<

We set him down and just follow him around the house to see where he wants to go and make sure he's ok and no matter where we put him tonight he beelined to a bathroom. And when we blocked the way to 1 he ran to the other as fast as he could crawl.

At least he knows the layout of the house already!

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Hadlock posted:

Baby is at three months and in the last couple of days we can put her in a lounger and she enjoys watching us cook or clean, general activities, which is cool to have her partly interactive, or at least a keen observer

Also means she gets bored very easily, and maybe worse, she knows when we're not in the room. On Sunday at the in laws, I saw her wake up and was very panicked looking around not recognizing stuff and then saw me and calmed down. She's also bored to tears in the mama roo at the house and gets very loud if nobody is around. We put her in the hand me down baby bjorn with the spinning toy, and that occupied her for about 2 days but now she just associates the baby bjorn with her being abandoned or whatever. Baby has a serious case of FOMO

Also, noticing the baby trying to fight sleep, which is super annoying, as otherwise she's pretty chill, but gets increasingly fussy right up until the time when she finally passes out

Yeah they really just want interaction. Our kid is showing interest in toys, but inevitably he'll turn his focus to one of our faces.

The way the "After the Check-up" book puts it is if you and your kid were locked in an empty room for a few months, they'd still have everything they needed for their mental development, just from your face and your voice.

But yeah, the flipside is that they don't want to be left alone.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Hadlock posted:

Let me point you towards a baby carrier with the option to front-face:
https://wearmybaby.co.uk/outwards-facing-carrying/

Inwards when sleepy, outwards when curious and active. Perfect while doing chores when they're around that age, or when around others socially, they get to stare at someone else's face for a change. (Not all 3-month-olds have the neck strength to sit forward-facing, but it normally develops around that age or just after.)

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

L0cke17 posted:

Our son has discovered that along with his newfound love of bath time he ALSO LOVES SPLASHING EVERY WATER HE CAN FIND.

This means dog bowls, glasses of water, and toilet bowls >.<

We set him down and just follow him around the house to see where he wants to go and make sure he's ok and no matter where we put him tonight he beelined to a bathroom. And when we blocked the way to 1 he ran to the other as fast as he could crawl.

At least he knows the layout of the house already!

Swiveling toilet locks are cheap and effective! Our daughter loves everything water too. Now she is tall enough to reach the sink in the bathroom if she stands on her potty, thankfully we’ve only had one flooding incident (so far).

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Koivunen posted:

Swiveling toilet locks are cheap and effective! Our daughter loves everything water too. Now she is tall enough to reach the sink in the bathroom if she stands on her potty, thankfully we’ve only had one flooding incident (so far).

You got a link to the one you like?

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

L0cke17 posted:

You got a link to the one you like?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07DFWJ9J9/ref=sspa_mb_hqp_detail_mobile_aax_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I showed my kids their first ever three stooges episode, which they thought was hilarious. However, that backfired spectacularly because they immediately started wrestling and trying to do eye pokes.

When we told one of the twins to stop, he said “the men did it.” Yeah well buddy you can’t copy everything you see on tv lol.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Well, there it is. First active Covid case at daycare. Working with the county health department they've determined it's someone who is not in close contact with the children. Eliminating the director who sent the email, that's either the owner or the cook.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The whole pregnancy I wondered what it would cost to get the baby, but I could never find hard data on this, especially from a source I trust

Well, due to the magic of pandemic 100% of our formula was ordered online, except for the 4 bottles we bought retail at CVS in an emergency, plus the handful of formula that came home with us. That means we can calculate within half a gallon or so how much formula a baby really drinks.

Baby in the first three months of life drank 2,112 fl oz (62.5L) of prepared formula

I'm not subtracting the half-drank stuff that got thrown away, the bottom 3% that never gets drank for whatever reason, the stuff that gets spat back up etc

Actually in the feeding log for the first 60 days we have actual feedings measured to the nearest 5ml if anybody super cares

Anyways, at 2,112 fl oz it costs about

$345 in powdered similac
$1,100 in pre mix similac 2oz bottles

Plus cost of nipples, which is highly variable

Our baby was slightly under weight, so if your baby is average or above average, add 10-15% to the cost. Probably.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Another reason to breastfeed if you can...

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
So my kids like it when I give them horse-back rides (i.e. I'm crawling around, they're sitting on my back). My daughter starter her new pre-k place this week, and one of the first things they had her do was fill out a worksheet about her favorite things. One of the questions was "When I am at home I like to ________________". She wrote "Ride dAd". No explanation for the poor teacher.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

Hadlock posted:

Anyways, at 2,112 fl oz it costs about

$345 in powdered similac
$1,100 in pre mix similac 2oz bottles

Plus cost of nipples, which is highly variable

Well...just as a counter point to that math, we formula fed our kid generic formula out of bottles we bought once and washed. Each large can of generic powder formula says it makes approx. 261 fl oz of formula. They sell for $20 each, and the amount used comes up to almost exactly 8 cans...so, $160 for 3 months or about $1.75 a day. It was well worth my sanity.

marchantia fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Feb 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Another reason to breastfeed if you can...

I know that this isn't where you're coming from and you're in no way trying to imply this, I just like repeating this. LABOR ISN'T FREE. All value and breast milk is ultimately the result of labor and effort.