Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

I like that star destroyer over the city. Also meant to ask, what kind of bricks is the Eclipse stand made of?

Is there a third party company that makes LEGO-compatible road baseplates? Seems like a no-brainer now that they’ve officially stopped producing the old kind and the demand is obviously there.

Eclipse stand: mix of trans-clear technic parts (including the pins) and trans-clear bricks and wedges. Made by GoBricks.

Road baseplates: I use Wange, but I assume there are a lot more. Currently completely sold out over here, though, after the new Lego streets dropped :lol:

e: The ISD is the absolutely brilliant Empire over Jedha City MoC by OneCase (an awesome guy to deal with, by the way!). It's also a MoC I never want to build again. Not because it's bad, it's absolutely the opposite (no errors in the instructions I could think of, perfect order of building steps etc.) but simply because it's so drat tidious first building the base of the mountain (140 pages if instructions), then greebling the city (another 70 pages)! The rest is super cool, and it's one of my absolute favourite Star Destroyers I ever built. He also offers building instructions for the ISD alone (together with a base for it), and it's made from pretty standard parts, so it shouldn't be too hard to track down on BrackLink.

tuo fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Feb 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Scipiotik posted:

I was surprised to see the blacksmith wasn't backordered already. 2 free gifts as well.

As for lego storage I have the finished basement and roughly 11 ikea tables for my city which is in disarray. Because my son was born mid assembly and I changed my mind on layout. He's definitely interested in the sets though still too small for them. He's a wizard at diplo though.

Sorting project is also only about 25% done.
Thank you and curse you for pointing this out. I was figuring my next order would be the Porsche but I noticed both promos expire on the 14th, so I guess now is good of a time as any to grab the Ecto-1.

Blacksmith is still in stock in Canada as well, but I kinda expected that? Ninjago Gardens back in stock too - feels almost odd that it never went to backorder.

Wait, Huh, the valentines gift is not showing on my order? Saw it on check-out.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I built the bonsai tree on Saturday, I really liked the build. I used the cherry tree blossom option, as I just can't see leaving those frogs in the bag.
It's going to my office to sit next to my Brandenburg Gate and Trevi Fountain.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I'm probably the last one here to hear about this whole road baseplate change but if anyblurkers want to read up on the specifics of the new system I found this article pretty comprehensive: https://www.brothers-brick.com/2020/12/16/lego-city-60304-road-plates-a-whole-new-system-for-your-town-review/

As someone who doesn't have any of the old baseplates and no current intentions of building a city, I kind of see the potential assuming they work out a solution for curved roads sooner rather than later. I can't imagine investing in this system before that's settled though.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Oxyclean posted:

Thank you and curse you for pointing this out. I was figuring my next order would be the Porsche but I noticed both promos expire on the 14th, so I guess now is good of a time as any to grab the Ecto-1.

Blacksmith is still in stock in Canada as well, but I kinda expected that? Ninjago Gardens back in stock too - feels almost odd that it never went to backorder.

Wait, Huh, the valentines gift is not showing on my order? Saw it on check-out.

Same thing happened to me. Gift was in the checkout and gone in receipt I got. It's still advertised on the website. my order also says it was placed yesterday even though I placed it at the same time I posted. I'm contacting lego support, most likely a gently caress up by their lovely web store.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

davebo posted:

As someone who doesn't have any of the old baseplates and no current intentions of building a city, I kind of see the potential assuming they work out a solution for curved roads sooner rather than later. I can't imagine investing in this system before that's settled though.

Still doesn't make them wide enough for 6 or - mind you - 8 stud wide cars. Even some 4 stud wide cars don't fit next to each other on the new roads (though that's not the norm, but some very odd cars with allkind of stuff at the side). The aesthetics of them are up to personal taste of course, and the adaption problem to baseplates should have been fixed/a fix available (or even included) when they were release imo. But them beeing too narrow for current city cars (which they come with in two sets) as well as the Speed Champions is something I simply can't wrap my mind around...like....what was that design meeting like?

tuo fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 1, 2021

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

Scipiotik posted:

Same thing happened to me. Gift was in the checkout and gone in receipt I got. It's still advertised on the website. my order also says it was placed yesterday even though I placed it at the same time I posted. I'm contacting lego support, most likely a gently caress up by their lovely web store.

I also ordered yesterday and it was missing from my email / order status as well. I just submitted a ticket to see what they'll say.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

It's pretty common experience for me. The confirmation email and update on the website takes a day or so. Don't worry friends it'll work out, but it is annoying.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

mitochondritom posted:

It's pretty common experience for me. The confirmation email and update on the website takes a day or so. Don't worry friends it'll work out, but it is annoying.
I think we might be in different situations, unless I'm confused. I've certainly had orders that took a day to send me the confirmation email or showed up on the order history page on a delay, but in the this circumstance I've gotten the email and it's on my order history, but in both cases it's missing one of the promo items that were listed at checkout.

If you're saying the order itself updated to show the promo item later on, well, here's hoping.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
New Brick Sketches, at a $3 price reduction from the first set (which felt overpriced):

No room in the budget for a couple yellow 1 x 1 tiles, huh?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The studs make their mouths look like :haw:

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Edit.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Oh man... The Empire over Jedha City looks great! It's probably going to be my first MOC.

"There are 5098 parts in this list worth a total of approximately $1,314.29 (based on 5065 parts)"

Oh...

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

obi_ant posted:

Oh man... The Empire over Jedha City looks great! It's probably going to be my first MOC.

"There are 5098 parts in this list worth a total of approximately $1,314.29 (based on 5065 parts)"

Oh...

Buy the instructions from OneCase, they aren't that expensive (this step is important!). Then buy the set from Mould King. Done.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Chris Knight posted:

Yeah Guards Red would have been nice but I'm sure Ferrari would have something to say about it :v:

I had a white Targa poster back in high school, so this hits all the nostalgic buttons.

I mean, it's not like they own the color red, though who knows what kind of crazy licensing agreements they might have

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
It is good there is some variation in what colors the large cars on offer are at any given time. I think the reason the Porsche is white is because there is a model in almost every main piece color (except purple, a “Plum Crazy” ‘69 Charger Daytona is probably the only vehicle I’d want to see in that)

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Went to the store to pick up blacksmith. The guy in front of me asked if he could buy multiple copies. Then he demanded a different box because the one he got wasn't pristine. Gotta love resellers.

Speaking of resellers. The pandemic has created a flood of them. Will they die away once things go back to normal or are things constantly being out of stock going to be the new normal? There have always been resellers but it's gotten to an extreme in the past 4 or 5 months.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
I know it wouldn't probably help a whole bunch but I'm surprised lego just doesn't put a limit of 1 on everything. You can buy only 1 pack of toilet paper but you can buy 3 millennium falcons

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

tuo posted:

Buy the instructions from OneCase, they aren't that expensive (this step is important!). Then buy the set from Mould King. Done.

Oh! Why did I think this was built using all ‘real’ bricks and not the Chinese ones. Makes much more sense seeing those super large MOCs.

I’ve never purchased a MOC before. Is Mould King just a single store front or an arrogate of different sellers?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

obi_ant posted:

Oh! Why did I think this was built using all ‘real’ bricks and not the Chinese ones. Makes much more sense seeing those super large MOCs.

I’ve never purchased a MOC before. Is Mould King just a single store front or an arrogate of different sellers?
Most MOCs are built using legit pieces, by far. What tuo is suggesting is not really standard practice for buying a MOC. It's uniquely possible for this specific one (and occasional others) because a clone brand picked up the design.

Generally, when you buy a MOC, you're buying instructions from rebrickable/brickvault/the designer's website/whatever and then sourcing the (official LEGO) pieces yourself through an aftermarket such as Bricklink. In some cases, you may be able to buy a completed MOC from somebody that comes with all the parts, but this is far less common. This is how BuildaMOC works, plus some creators like Jonathan Elliott and Chris McVeigh (before he worked at LEGO) and such. You're gonna typically pay a premium for this because your favorite MOC makers don't really have a way to get pieces any cheaper than you do, and they're gonna charge for the hassle of getting it all together.

Mould King is the name of one specific Chinese brand, the brand that picked up this particular MOC design and offers it as a set.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

Went to the store to pick up blacksmith. The guy in front of me asked if he could buy multiple copies. Then he demanded a different box because the one he got wasn't pristine. Gotta love resellers.

Speaking of resellers. The pandemic has created a flood of them. Will they die away once things go back to normal or are things constantly being out of stock going to be the new normal? There have always been resellers but it's gotten to an extreme in the past 4 or 5 months.

I think a large part of it, at least in the UK, is that people have been in a form of "lockdown" for the best part of a year now. I have spent a lot of 2020 mucking about with Lego and I'd wager that a lot of the demand is middle class relatively well off parents funnelling Lego into their housebound kids. It's what I would have done!

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

I like that star destroyer over the city. Also meant to ask, what kind of bricks is the Eclipse stand made of?

Is there a third party company that makes LEGO-compatible road baseplates? Seems like a no-brainer now that they’ve officially stopped producing the old kind and the demand is obviously there.

I haven’t actually bought these yet, but these plate thickness base plates have been in my Amazon wishlist for awhile now. They seem pretty spiffy as you can connect bricks underneath as well, and that they would be uniquely compatible with the new brick built streets (which I’m honestly really interested in).

My thought is to pick up some of these to replace modular baseplates anywhere that I’d like to build underneath, like a subway system.

obi_ant posted:

I’ve had nothing but positive experiences buying from yourwobb over the last year or so. Generally if it’s a MOC set, I just view it as buying the bricks by themselves and track down the instructions to buy from the creator separately. Helps support cool people putting out cool stuff :)

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003
Making baby jesus cry since 1984.
I bought some lighting kits from vonado.com and they’ve been offering non-lego branded MOC kits as well - and when the instructions are by someone else they state specifically that they don’t send instructions and link to where you can buy the instructions from the creator. They’re also starting to offer bulk purchasing of parts for MOC purposes at pretty cheap rates. I got a couple of Star Trek designs and will update once I’ve received and built.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Oh gosh hope the image works properly, I’m posting from an iPad and i refuse to download the imgur app so I’m winging it

Anyway finally I can contribute with something. I’ve been visiting here in a different state, and here apparently people have no love for Mega, stuff doesn’t make it to these clearance prices where I usually live, but here, their loss is my gain. When I got here, they were almost $9 each, but waiting a couple months, today I found them at $5 each, had to really hold myself back and just get 2, I could’ve bought all of them to try to make a building, haha

Just 198 pieces, but the walls and windows (with printed blinds!) will be useful for other buildings. Same for that wall map and PC screen (again, printed, zero stickers here), i intend to use them as screens in big Halo vehicles. The chair is made from a bunch of 1x1s, also very useful for custom stuffs. For the price, super worth it, even if now I have a surplus of Pikachus, haha

EDIT: VVVVVVV Thanks! Fixed hosting

Zefiel fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Feb 2, 2021

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Use https://postimages.org instead!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/goando/status/1356387476445700097

"LEGO publishes a playlist for noise on Spotify.

An album of 30 minutes each with a rattling sound when assembling LEGO. It may be good for work environment sound."

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
RIP. was building the Mickey Mouse Steamboat Willie and had to use the teal brick separator and I marred it up. This was the first one I've had in the wild. :(
(I have several more in sets I haven't opened yet)

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Lmao I decided I’d use an old hole in the wall and hang up the batwing and not only did I put the holder thing in upside down, I also put it in the wrong way around so you can’t put the tile plate back on. :allears::shepicide:

E: the tile plate has slid into the foot room of the cockpit and the crowbars won’t stay in the bat engine compartment now. Welp, guess I’ll keep looking for a nice place to put it on the stand.

Zwille fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Feb 2, 2021

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
I feel like you need some pretty heavy duty hooks to do the wall mount anyway. I built it on the weekend too, and am still really surprised by the weight and sturdiness of the thing.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

OSU_Matthew posted:

I haven’t actually bought these yet, but these plate thickness base plates have been in my Amazon wishlist for awhile now. They seem pretty spiffy as you can connect bricks underneath as well, and that they would be uniquely compatible with the new brick built streets (which I’m honestly really interested in).

Just ordered a set of these base plates, the multi-color pack. I'll do a review when I get them.

Zefiel posted:

Oh gosh hope the image works properly, I’m posting from an iPad and i refuse to download the imgur app so I’m winging it

Anyway finally I can contribute with something. I’ve been visiting here in a different state, and here apparently people have no love for Mega, stuff doesn’t make it to these clearance prices where I usually live, but here, their loss is my gain. When I got here, they were almost $9 each, but waiting a couple months, today I found them at $5 each, had to really hold myself back and just get 2, I could’ve bought all of them to try to make a building, haha

Just 198 pieces, but the walls and windows (with printed blinds!) will be useful for other buildings. Same for that wall map and PC screen (again, printed, zero stickers here), i intend to use them as screens in big Halo vehicles. The chair is made from a bunch of 1x1s, also very useful for custom stuffs. For the price, super worth it, even if now I have a surplus of Pikachus, haha

EDIT: VVVVVVV Thanks! Fixed hosting

I know you're gonna use it for MOC's, but that's a fun set and the chair design is really good. If you can find the Hi Hat Cafe set cheap, that's a good set too.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

GlenMR posted:

I feel like you need some pretty heavy duty hooks to do the wall mount anyway. I built it on the weekend too, and am still really surprised by the weight and sturdiness of the thing.

It seemed pretty stable with a relatively short screw. No hook needed really, just a screw. You obviously wouldn’t wanna hang it on drywall yeah.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Zwille posted:

It seemed pretty stable with a relatively short screw. No hook needed really, just a screw. You obviously wouldn’t wanna hang it on drywall yeah.

I've had this thing up for almost a year now and it hasn't budged, but I designed and 3d printed the brackets it's hanging on.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

That’s neat as hell!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
March GWP:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Does that mean a new plane set?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
drat, I really want that set.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Much like Amelia Earhart, this will be hard to find.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Huh, I quite like that. Neat to see sleek lines like this in a LEGO set - not their usual bread and butter, to be sure. Cool stuff.

streamin' in about 3 hours (7pm cst) about how specific pieces have changed over the years, and connections/uses that are possible now or not possible anymore as a result!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Much like Amelia Earhart, this will be hard to find.

Why? You just make the $100 or $150 purchase and you get it. Or go on Ebay and pay $25 or so for it.

This won't be hard to find at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Why? You just make the $100 or $150 purchase and you get it. Or go on Ebay and pay $25 or so for it.

This won't be hard to find at all.

I think it's mostly a joke, but like other GWP it might go fast.

I kind of want it, but I'm unsure what set I'd get alongside it. Does stuff that goes on early VIP access tend to get a restock on public release?