Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

falz posted:

Re the floor comment, on the left it looks like every other board end is matched up, which is fine

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaizier
Jul 21, 2004

Moved post to plumbing thread, sorry I am a dumb dumb

kaizier fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 31, 2021

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Do we have a decorating thread somewhere?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BonerGhost posted:

Yeah, but you really don't want to spend any amount of time in it unless you want to talk about overpriced repro MCM pieces and deal with some exhausting frequent posters who hot take more than the regulars in the /r/relationships thread.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

ntan1 posted:

Theres actually nothing wrong with brass and depending on the house look it may work.

But that house is depressing.

Eh, personal taste I guess. I find brass to be god-awful, and coordinating on it gives me Trump-ish "gold is expensive therefore it makes me look rich" vibes.

I'm sure someone somewhere has got it right, but I've never seen it done well.

To me the worst part is the faucet. The cabinet/drawer hardware is a little more subtle and not bad, if not to my taste, but that faucet is just murder on my eyes.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DaveSauce posted:

Eh, personal taste I guess. I find brass to be god-awful, and coordinating on it gives me Trump-ish "gold is expensive therefore it makes me look rich" vibes.

I'm sure someone somewhere has got it right, but I've never seen it done well.

To me the worst part is the faucet. The cabinet/drawer hardware is a little more subtle and not bad, if not to my taste, but that faucet is just murder on my eyes.

Yeah, the faucet is super cheap and tacky.

I find that polished brass looks exactly like what you're saying, but aged brass can be fine.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Satin or brushed nickel is the Lord’s finish

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

BonerGhost posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3955916&perpage=40&noseen=1

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I like brass doorknobs and cabinet hardware but that faucet was gaudy.

And the sink was very shallow, definitely not chosen with consideration for actually living in the space.

I hope that the Covid lockdowns have taught some hard lessons about livable spaces and aesthetics over practicality.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

That only works if they have experience with other styles to compare it with. Someone who grew up in a McMansion will never understand the glory of a tight kitchen triangle, or the frustration of sharing 1 bathroom with your whole family.

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

peanut posted:

That only works if they have experience with other styles to compare it with. Someone who grew up in a McMansion will never understand the glory of a tight kitchen triangle, or the frustration of sharing 1 bathroom with your whole family.

My wife and her mother are both really hung up on the fact that the house we're buying only has one bathroom, which is baffling to me since (for the moment) there's only two of us. We both grew up in a family of 4 but I never had an issue sharing one bathroom with the rest of the house. Like, I get how it could be annoying but don't people adjust?

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
what happens when you gotta take a poo poo real bad (because you have ibs) but your girlfriend is already in there taking a poo poo (because she also has ibs)

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

DELETE CASCADE posted:

what happens when you gotta take a poo poo real bad (because you have ibs) but your girlfriend is already in there taking a poo poo (because she also has ibs)

You make a visit to your least favorite neighbor’s lawn and hope to god they don’t have a doorbell cam

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

DELETE CASCADE posted:

As a person married to an IBS-haver, I would never never never live somewhere with only one bathroom. I can’t imagine trying to deal with two IBS-ers in one household.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Used to have IBS (well, it's under control now) and sharing a 1BA with my now-wife was ... challenging at times, especially in the beginning of the relationship. We've been living with 2 full baths for a while now thankfully, and now i've gotten my shits under control.

It was actually kinda nice to have a shower that wasn't in the en-suite when we commuted and my wife worked early hours so she could get ready without waking me up, but a pain to clean 2 tubs. These days, we're both remote WFH and only use the main bedroom's ensuite shower, but it's nice to have 2 shitters, and our next place is probably gonna be 1.5 bath just to have one less tub to clean.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Yeah I have something between ibs and colitis, while my husband's day isn't complete until he's spent two hours on the toilet playing some game, hemorrhoids be damned. If you've only got one toilet, eventually someone is pissing into the tub/shower, and that's if you stay lucky.

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

If the clinical trials I have worked on for IBS treatments hadn't made me grateful to not have it, this thread certainly would have! Thankfully, we are an IBS-free household and I maintain that two adults with healthy bowels really only need one bathroom, despite what my wife and MiL seem to think.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Bingo Bango posted:

If the clinical trials I have worked on for IBS treatments hadn't made me grateful to not have it, this thread certainly would have! Thankfully, we are an IBS-free household and I maintain that two adults with healthy bowels really only need one bathroom, despite what my wife and MiL seem to think.

Most people like two or more toilets and I've always heard it's easier to resale due to that. But like buy whatever house makes you and your wife happy.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
One round of family food poisoning will make you want N=humans toilets in a hurry. Doable without, but it's quite the dangerous game.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Hallway (stair landing?) urinal should be a fast install.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Speaking of kitchen flooring, mine looks like it installed by a drunk chimp.

What's my best option these days for a DIY replacement (in terms of cost, ease of install, and quality/appearance)? The subfloor is fine, as far as I know.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Having only one bathroom is usually a hassle when having guests over. I'd never buy a property without at least a 1.5

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Toebone posted:

Speaking of kitchen flooring, mine looks like it installed by a drunk chimp.

What's my best option these days for a DIY replacement (in terms of cost, ease of install, and quality/appearance)? The subfloor is fine, as far as I know.

LVT. The lifeproof stuff at Home Depot is cheap, looks decent and wears real well.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I grew up in a 1000 sq ft box with one tiny bathroom that was directly off of the kitchen and had no exhaust fan. There was some annoyances but the location of it was a way bigger pain in the rear end than it being the only bathroom.

Absolutely would never buy a house with just one though. Now I have 2.5 and it's perfect for our needs (Have a kiddo and frequently have guests that spend the night).

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I have only one bathroom which has been fine since I am the only one in the house, but is gonna be very much not fine when it comes time to remodel the thing.

The kitchen is also going to be redone this/next year and I am contemplating running water/sewer lines through there and into the upstairs while the walls are all exposed to give me the ability to at least add a half bath in the future if I want to. I have no idea how feasible of an idea this actually is.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sirotan posted:

I have only one bathroom which has been fine since I am the only one in the house, but is gonna be very much not fine when it comes time to remodel the thing.

The kitchen is also going to be redone this/next year and I am contemplating running water/sewer lines through there and into the upstairs while the walls are all exposed to give me the ability to at least add a half bath in the future if I want to. I have no idea how feasible of an idea this actually is.

If you have the square footage to spare upstairs then it basically just becomes a question of money. Almost anything is possible if you're willing to wreck out walls and adjust how your square footage is allocated for small-medium amounts of money, if you need to adjust gross square footage or load bearing it becomes medium-skysthelimit money.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

H110Hawk posted:

If you have the square footage to spare upstairs then it basically just becomes a question of money. Almost anything is possible if you're willing to wreck out walls and adjust how your square footage is allocated for small-medium amounts of money, if you need to adjust gross square footage or load bearing it becomes medium-skysthelimit money.

Yes I suppose that was a bit of a silly question. Guess I'm still in the shower thoughts phase of this plan, my second floor is your typical 1.5 story bungalow layout with knee walls, a brick chimney smack dab in the middle, and a closet built into the corner of one side, but is otherwise a blank slate and just being used for storage at the moment. Just seems like if there's ever going to be a shitter up there, about the only time it would be feasible (on my budget) to do so is when a path for all the plumbing is available while the kitchen is demolished.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Do we have an appliance thread? My fridge has given up the ghost for the last time, and I'm looking to replace it.

Leaning towards the Samsung RF27T5201SR or its slightly fancier brother the RF28R6201SR but that's purely based on google research.

There's a GE side by side that's a bit cheaper too.

https://www.samsung.com/us/home-app...rf27t5201sr-aa/
https://www.samsung.com/us/home-app...rf28r6201sr-aa/
https://www.geappliances.com/appliance/GE-25-3-Cu-Ft-Side-By-Side-Refrigerator-GSS25GSHSS

Deviant fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Feb 1, 2021

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I have a Samsung fridge and it has a dumb layout with barely adjustable shelves and I kind of hate it. Additionally there are a poo poo load of bad reviews saying that if the ice maker is hooked up (mine isn't), that it will have issues with frost forming in the doors and on electrical parts causing them to fail. Samsung appliances have a very bad rep from what I've read.

With that said my fridge stays cold, is quiet, and doesn't use a lot of power. So that's nice.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

SpartanIvy posted:

I have a Samsung fridge and it has a dumb layout with barely adjustable shelves and I kind of hate it. Additionally there are a poo poo load of bad reviews saying that if the ice maker is hooked up (mine isn't), that it will have issues with frost forming in the doors and on electrical parts causing them to fail. Samsung appliances have a very bad rep from what I've read.

With that said my fridge stays cold, is quiet, and doesn't use a lot of power. So that's nice.

I'm open to suggestions of brands, but I had heard good things of samsung and LG

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sirotan posted:

Just seems like if there's ever going to be a shitter up there, about the only time it would be feasible (on my budget) to do so is when a path for all the plumbing is available while the kitchen is demolished.

Would it be feasible with your new kitchen layout to share a wet wall with a new bath/power room up there? That's where things start coming together. Even if you just rough in while the kitchen is being done.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Similarly, do refrigerators exist with ice makers that are capable of working for 5+ years that also aren't >$3k?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Enos Cabell posted:

Similarly, do refrigerators exist with ice makers that are capable of working for 5+ years that also aren't >$3k?

No and hell no.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Motronic posted:

No and hell no.

Well, this checks out with my experience at least. :sigh:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

My ice maker in my 10 year old LG works? I think the price on it was $2400 ish? Honestly can't really remember.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

The Dave posted:

My ice maker in my 10 year old LG works? I think the price on it was $2400 ish? Honestly can't really remember.

Enjoy your puddle tonight.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The Dave posted:

I mean, I was being sarcastic because it sure seems like they're all crap. But yeah....obviously there are ice makers that keep on working. The fridge that came with this house was 12 years old, definitely under $3k and it was still working.

The trick is somehow divining which new one to choose when model runs only last for a few years at a time. That I don't know how to do.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

H110Hawk posted:

Enjoy your puddle tonight.

That's what prompted my post, ~7 year old Whirlpool that cost around $1700 that we've been fighting with the ice maker on since literally the day after it fell out of warranty. Still makes ice, but waking up to puddles on the floor almost once a week now. This replaced a Kenmore fridge that came with the house, in which the ice maker technically still created ice cubes but also liked to create a giant sheet of ice down the back wall of the freezer.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
the top 3 at consumer reports right now are an LG, a GE, and a Kitchenaid, all with the same "average" reliability, as the worse-rated samsung so it really is a crapshoot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Qwijib0 posted:

the top 3 at consumer reports right now are an LG, a GE, and a Kitchenaid, all with the same "average" reliability, as the worse-rated samsung so it really is a crapshoot

i don't have a CR membership, could you throw some model numbers at me?

I guess I could throw $10 at a month of it, though.