Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Midgetskydiver posted:

Did they change the whole "holding faith changes when you convert a holder to your own faith" thing? Just captured Brittany as Norse and when I put a Catholic Breton in charge of a Catholic Breton barony then converted him to Asatru, the county faith did not change.

Yeah. It’s very tough to spread your new religion now. Lands don’t inherent the rulers’ faith

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Trevor Hale posted:

Yeah. It’s very tough to spread your new religion now. Lands don’t inherent the rulers’ faith

Ok cool thanks for the heads up. Makes sense I guess but when I learned about the trick I was pretty stoked to try it haha.

ElectronicOldMen
Jun 18, 2018
I really hope they add to the sim aspect of the game. Having religions represented as percentages could be nice.

Especially if you could see religious pressure from nearby localities. Or to watch as populations of one religion flee from a county due to war or plague. My ideal CK3 would be a combination of alot of smaller systems that interact with each other to give that wonderful Rube Goldbergesque quality that CK2 could have at times. That plus a whole bunch of ways to roleplay your ruler dealing with the situations that arise due to this interplay.

Basically anything to deepen the game because at this point it feels like a mile wide and an inch deep. That inch is amazing though, I just want more of it.

Plus once you understand the game it is far too easy, anything to add a bit of challenge and variety would be nice.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Lucinice posted:

Why do my family members seem to end up in other courts? My newborn sons that are also heirs keep ending up in other counties. Heck my wife is in the HRE for some reason.

I wish I knew why stuff like this keeps happening. Sometimes my spouse starts wandering and takes the kids with them, and it's almost always impossible to get the kids back after that happens.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

ElectronicOldMen posted:

I really hope they add to the sim aspect of the game. Having religions represented as percentages could be nice.

Especially if you could see religious pressure from nearby localities. Or to watch as populations of one religion flee from a county due to war or plague. My ideal CK3 would be a combination of alot of smaller systems that interact with each other to give that wonderful Rube Goldbergesque quality that CK2 could have at times. That plus a whole bunch of ways to roleplay your ruler dealing with the situations that arise due to this interplay.

Basically anything to deepen the game because at this point it feels like a mile wide and an inch deep. That inch is amazing though, I just want more of it.

Plus once you understand the game it is far too easy, anything to add a bit of challenge and variety would be nice.

You're saying you want Vicky pops.

ElectronicOldMen
Jun 18, 2018

Charlz Guybon posted:

You're saying you want Vicky pops.

Yeah, but good.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I'd say the same thing I have seen here before; the game creates empires that are too stable. I have witnessed a complete inbred moron of a Byzantine emperor go to -4000 gold and his realm was stable as ever for 20+ years until he decided to die out and the debts went out of the window. This leads into stupid blobbing and its really no fun after some point.

Obviously this will be hopefully fixed in the upcoming DLC, but right now the game really gives no incentive to do anything else than become a king, and take the empire of your choice in the near vicinity. At least give us the Black Death that actually is meaningful or something that can strip up the map, since the Mongolians aren't doing it. Basically they either go to India and get killed, or beeline into you because one of your stupid relatives owns a region somewhere in Russia.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

ElectronicOldMen posted:

I think CK lacks a lot on the economic and social aspect

I mean, I wish we would not only deal with the aristocracy and their politics, but also the real people, other than have they rebel every once in a while

I want to deal with laws and politics for the common people, and stuff like immigration, famines, a bit of trade

This would all improve the domestic aspect of the game and could be used to make huge blobs more unstable and harder to keep

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Midgetskydiver posted:

Ok cool thanks for the heads up. Makes sense I guess but when I learned about the trick I was pretty stoked to try it haha.

It still works, just not via demand conversion. If you change faith and your vassal changes with you, they will convert their capital (if it matches their previous faith) as well. Because otherwise new faiths would die out immediately

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
What I want added:

1. Make the council matter again, let me stack it with loyalists or wrangle with malcontents like the ck2 days

2. Make some people jealous of you if you have high prestige rather than being a universal opinion boost

3. More independence wars

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

Are there any mods or ways to add additional settlement slots to a province? I'm kind of burnt out with there being no new content and want to try an absurd gimmick game or two.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

They’re going to eventually add so much poo poo

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

AnEdgelord posted:

What I want added:

1. Make the council matter again, let me stack it with loyalists or wrangle with malcontents like the ck2 days

2. Make some people jealous of you if you have high prestige rather than being a universal opinion boost

Bring back regencies and proper plague mechanics too. I haven't played the game in the while, mostly due to it being a little easy and predictable, and those elements, along with what you said, would help a lot.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Der Kyhe posted:

I'd say the same thing I have seen here before; the game creates empires that are too stable. I have witnessed a complete inbred moron of a Byzantine emperor go to -4000 gold and his realm was stable as ever for 20+ years until he decided to die out and the debts went out of the window. This leads into stupid blobbing and its really no fun after some point.

But on the other hand, you want blobs to appear. Otherwise, you're the only king in the world of dukes and you have no external threats.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

ilitarist posted:

But on the other hand, you want blobs to appear. Otherwise, you're the only king in the world of dukes and you have no external threats.

After 100 years, the Byzantine Empire is pretty much invulnerable, having 10 times more levies and retinues as everyone else and enough money for legions of mercenaries, while also being more stable than other, smaller kingdoms. If they ever want your land, there is nothing you can do – even if you somehow hold out, your neighbors almost certainly won't, leaving you no space to expand. Threats are fine, but there is nothing fun in an invulnerable wall that slowly boxes you into a corner of the map.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
The Byzantines fall apart in plenty of my games, but I take a while to build up my realm. Maybe it has something to do with how big the player realm is.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Gantolandon posted:

After 100 years, the Byzantine Empire is pretty much invulnerable, having 10 times more levies and retinues as everyone else and enough money for legions of mercenaries, while also being more stable than other, smaller kingdoms. If they ever want your land, there is nothing you can do – even if you somehow hold out, your neighbors almost certainly won't, leaving you no space to expand. Threats are fine, but there is nothing fun in an invulnerable wall that slowly boxes you into a corner of the map.

If they are attacking AIs, sure. This does not go against the player, the AI does not understand how to wage war effectively at all, which is a much bigger problem than blobbing.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

PittTheElder posted:

If they are attacking AIs, sure. This does not go against the player, the AI does not understand how to wage war effectively at all, which is a much bigger problem than blobbing.

Thats true. And is weird, in CK2 it looked a lot more competent

Im my current game (also my first Ck3 game) Byz also remained stable for the whole game, but I was allied with them for most of it

Than almost 1400 and an emperor raises that had claims on my empire title, thanks to all those wedding we had for generations. I thought I was up to a hard fight, as I had around 60K troops and them had around 80K

It was actually ridiculous: they scattered all their army in my land while I went down on them with my united 60K army and destroyed their stacks, one by one. It was over very quick

Maybe they never even raised all their troops, but Im not sure

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I'm king of Georgia and Armenia. I can't declare a holy war on a neighboring independent 2 county Muslim state. Why?

I am Armenian Apostolic.
I am a vassal of the Byzantine Emperor. The Emperor is an Orthodox Christian. Crown authority is level 2.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Charlz Guybon posted:

I'm king of Georgia and Armenia. I can't declare a holy war on a neighboring independent 2 county Muslim state. Why?

I am Armenian Apostolic.
I am a vassal of the Byzantine Emperor. The Emperor is an Orthodox Christian. Crown authority is level 2.
From wiki:
"Vassals may only declare holy wars if they are of the same faith as their liege."

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Dwesa posted:

From wiki:
"Vassals may only declare holy wars if they are of the same faith as their liege."

I thought it might be something like that.

Also, why am I not House head? I have 2.5 times as many soldiers and far more titles than the House Head?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
The founder of House remains its head until death, regardless of realm size, so it might be this case?

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

AnEdgelord posted:

What I want added:

4. Make Byzantine succession a crisis.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Agreed but I'd roll that into "Give Byzantine's their Imperial Government"

5. Merchant Republics

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Are there any graphics tweaks or mods to crank up the anti-aliasing or fix the constant jaggies on the moving portraits?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
MSAA is not as taxing as you might think, it's not the same as scaled rendering. But no, I haven't seen mods like that and I don't really know what can be done. Most modern anti-aliasing techniques work with dynamic lighting and movement to create an image. Not sure if they'd work well with mostly static or slowly moving CK3 portraits.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

There's no particular reason this should be the case. Byzantine succession wasn't any more precarious than other places, and even when a child sat the throne, aspiring generals seizing power would declare themselves co-emperor and attach themselves to the existing royal family, the Phokades being a prime period example.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

There's no particular reason this should be the case. Byzantine succession wasn't any more precarious than other places, and even when a child sat the throne, aspiring generals seizing power would declare themselves co-emperor and attach themselves to the existing royal family, the Phokades being a prime period example.

Yea, I'm not saying its necessary for historical accuracy, though there's definitely precedent for a super powerful Noble threatening a succession. The main point is that byzantines need to shake a bit in the game or else they become unstoppable AI's vs every other neighboring AI. I havent played this game enough yet to track why tf Seljuk plummets fast after the the the first war. I suspect troop maintenance and civil wars.

In terms of historical accuracy I think CK series is the most prone to deviate from reality since the "states" are so granular. Trying to force a historical outcome would be really difficult in comparison to EU.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Yea, I'm not saying its necessary for historical accuracy, though there's definitely precedent for a super powerful Noble threatening a succession. The main point is that byzantines need to shake a bit in the game or else they become unstoppable AI's vs every other neighboring AI. I havent played this game enough yet to track why tf Seljuk plummets fast after the the the first war. I suspect troop maintenance and civil wars.

In terms of historical accuracy I think CK series is the most prone to deviate from reality since the "states" are so granular. Trying to force a historical outcome would be really difficult in comparison to EU.

Rather than something so heavy-handed and hacky, I think PDX should just create the Imperial/Republic government types and mechanics for them, apply those to the Byzantines, and then see how things shake out.

Just applying a slapdash solution like "Byzantines suffer every succession" would feel like a lame cop-out from a gameplay perspective as well as a historical one.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 6, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah what the Byzantines need is a different system for their vassals. Legitimacy came not from land ownership, but from office holding in the the Imperial Army. The structure wasn't fixed, and the Emperor could and did revoke those commands at will to strike at his rivals. Which I don't really know how you do better than the Viceroyalty system in CK2 but maybe there's another way. An Imperial Elective system that all but forces the Emperor's next of kin to assume the throne, but hands claims to powerful army officers is a requirement.

And with that the vassals likely should not have access to endless Holy War CBs against every neighbor.

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

I suspect troop maintenance and civil wars.

Troop maintenance is huge problem for the AI. They always raise all of their levies to fight every war, so the top level leadership of any large polity is constantly bankrupt and effectively idle as far as I can tell. Their lower level vassals are another story.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

It's less a Byzantine problem than an overarching one. Successions should be moments of high drama, but instead they barely register; everything is perfectly smooth and amicable like 99.9% of the time. Nobody ever disputes the heir's claim, no younger kids ever try to seize power, no vassals ever take the opportunity to declare independence. At worst some of your vassals get pissy, start some factions, wait three years, do nothing, and disband. A succession where the heir is underage or politically weak or the wrong religion or something should be a nightmare where half of the vassals declare civil war the second his rear end hits the throne.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

megane posted:

At worst some of your vassals get pissy, start some factions, wait three years, do nothing, and disband.

I noticed this as I've been playing recently. Whats the logic the AI uses to decide whether or not to declare independence? At some point I was a 13yr old female of the wrong culture and the independence faction had ~100% strength. I have no idea why they didnt try to own me, but they never did. I would never have gotten away with that poo poo in ck2

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

megane posted:

It's less a Byzantine problem than an overarching one. Successions should be moments of high drama, but instead they barely register; everything is perfectly smooth and amicable like 99.9% of the time. Nobody ever disputes the heir's claim, no younger kids ever try to seize power, no vassals ever take the opportunity to declare independence. At worst some of your vassals get pissy, start some factions, wait three years, do nothing, and disband. A succession where the heir is underage or politically weak or the wrong religion or something should be a nightmare where half of the vassals declare civil war the second his rear end hits the throne.

Well, dread is crazy overpowered right now and I believe needs a second look from a mechanical perspective. Without dread I usually find it's pretty similar to how CK2 worked, succession usually has some factions pop up and you either deal with them or you don't. But just like in CK2 if I keep my rulers generally beloved and pay close attention to my first few heirs and groom them to be likeable, the realm stays stable.

I think one of the fundamental tensions in CK's design is that pretty much all power is tied to holding land, and players don't like to lose land. Losing land feels bad, and it's hard to get out of the mindset of playing a nation-state and into the mindset of playing a dynasty, so watching your borders shrink sucks. But if there can be more internal struggle over things that aren't land and titles, that might help out the game a lot.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

I noticed this as I've been playing recently. Whats the logic the AI uses to decide whether or not to declare independence? At some point I was a 13yr old female of the wrong culture and the independence faction had ~100% strength. I have no idea why they didnt try to own me, but they never did. I would never have gotten away with that poo poo in ck2

As far as I understand it, factions have to a) get a favorable power ratio and then b) stay there for a sizable period of time before they can send the ultimatum. But every faction tracks this separately, and there are half a dozen mechanics that can change who wants to be in which faction - dread, secrets, marriages, hooks, not to mention anything that improves opinion - so members will drop out or switch to other factions constantly. Even if 80% of your vassals want to overthrow you, they keep changing their minds about why, and as a result nobody ever actually pulls the trigger.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The biggest problem is nobles are way way to easy to appease. A one time bribe gets you friends for little rather than having to actually work at maintaining a relationship. Which if you don’t will have consequences.

Hell most loss of authority is a king making concessions to the nobles to back him in a time of crisis. Which can’t happen

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Some of it is maybe playstyle and how willing you are to fight a civil war. I've had two child rulers in my current playthrough; the first immediately faced a Liberty faction that was at 105% my military strength. Yeah, I probably could have beaten it by cheesing the AI but I didn't feel like it so I let them knock down authority from 3 to 2. There were some wonky duchies anyway that I was hoping they could fight it out over (instead a bunch of duchies got consolidated via claims they had been stockpiling but that's a problem for future me).

Two or three generations later and the grandson of a kingdom I usurped got most of the realm to back his claim on said kingdom. Again, if I had fought it out I probably could have won, but whatever, I'll reconquer it when I'm an adult and more financially stable.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

megane posted:

I think what the game needs is a better distinction between an "expected" and "unexpected" succession. The skeleton of that sort of idea exists in CK2, where you have the "produce an heir" focus that eventually gives you the option to introduce your heir to the realm. I feel like that sort of thing could be expanded upon to build a system where if you get all your affairs in order, have an heir lined up that you have already involved in state affairs, then you get a stable succession that basically works like it does now. If you haven't done that though, then maybe you should be opened up to siblings/younger children making their own counter-claims against your default successor and factions more likely to spring up. Maybe factions could have lower thresholds to make an ultimatum during this period.

I feel like doing it as a system you have to engage with would make it more interesting just because it gives you the option for stable succession, but you have to specifically dedicate yourself to preparing for it rather than just kind of having it happen by default. There are lots of historical examples of very well-respected rulers whose realms fell apart after their death anyway because they never really bothered to get their affairs in order and ensure a smooth transition of power after their death. It also introduces a lot of opportunities for interesting wrenches to be thrown into people's plans - like their "prepared" heir dying before taking the crown, or maybe you have a genius kid late in life who you'd prefer over the heir you already introduced to the realm and now you have to deal with the fallout of changing your mind at the last minute.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

…it would also open up a lot more chaos and fun through good old murder and kidnapping.

Knock out a ruler before he has established a successor, or take out the expected successor that the ruler has poured a bunch of money and prestige into, or (to tie it into more of the newer systems) sell secrets to other potential candidates that could then put that succession into question for whatever reason. Even if the realm doesn't outright fall apart, the internal strife would put them out of action for a while, giving others an opportunity to pursue some other goal.

It could even affect the cost and reaction to capturing heirs — a primary heir simply might not yield that much gold any more since the ruler never really put any thought to their inheriting the realm, or the cost of release might suddenly skyrocket because so much effort has been poured into a smooth succession that a few hundred more gold is a price worth paying.

Of course, as always, the tricky part is to make the AI actually care about and act on such systems: use the opportunities given to them by the player or going after the player's preparations as a means to a larger, long-term end.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I just had a weird independence event happen with no notice.

I wish I'd taken screenshots, but I was too busy at the time trying to figure out what the gently caress just happened.

As I mentioned earlier I'm the king of Georgia and Armenia, sworn to the Byzantine emperor. I actually lucked out in maintaining this situation.

When I inherited Georgia a cousin inherited Armenia, and for some reason I didn't get a claim. Which is strange to me. So, I just declared war for a county claim, and then I captured the King in battle and he had no kids, so his heir was me! So I executed him and ate the kinslayer penalty. I know he's just a cousin, but only -5? Seems too light for killing him in cold blood like that.

Anyway most of Armenia was controlled by another relative. He demanded the throne, I gave it to him because he had too much support, then won it again after saving up for mercenaries later.

It was after that that the weirdness happened. That lord had most of three duchies. And then he lost two of them to some other guy and that guy was not only independent of me, but of the Byzantine emperor. Another random county in Georgia also gained complete independence.

What could possibly cause this? The original super Duke was still alive. It wasn't an odd succssion issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Charlz Guybon posted:

I just had a weird independence event happen with no notice.

I wish I'd taken screenshots, but I was too busy at the time trying to figure out what the gently caress just happened.

As I mentioned earlier I'm the king of Georgia and Armenia, sworn to the Byzantine emperor. I actually lucked out in maintaining this situation.

When I inherited Georgia a cousin inherited Armenia, and for some reason I didn't get a claim. Which is strange to me. So, I just declared war for a county claim, and then I captured the King in battle and he had no kids, so his heir was me! So I executed him and ate the kinslayer penalty. I know he's just a cousin, but only -5? Seems too light for killing him in cold blood like that.

Anyway most of Armenia was controlled by another relative. He demanded the throne, I gave it to him because he had too much support, then won it again after saving up for mercenaries later.

It was after that that the weirdness happened. That lord had most of three duchies. And then he lost two of them to some other guy and that guy was not only independent of me, but of the Byzantine emperor. Another random county in Georgia also gained complete independence.

What could possibly cause this? The original super Duke was still alive. It wasn't an odd succssion issue.

What does the history of the title(s) in question say?