Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

They put up with it because the prestige and accomplishment of making it through the October gauntlet is what they've all dedicated their lives to. Winning a ring is the one reward that can (at least some times) trump monetary compensation.

It shouldn't have to, of course, but :capitalism:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Gonna be a whole lotta angry :qq: posts on baseball Twitter and I am here for it :allears:

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

bawfuls posted:

They put up with it because the prestige and accomplishment of making it through the October gauntlet is what they've all dedicated their lives to. Winning a ring is the one reward that can (at least some times) trump monetary compensation.

It shouldn't have to, of course, but :capitalism:

I'm being facetious because I think comparing a salaried pro baseball player playing an exra innings game to any normal hourly wage job "working double hours" is real loving stupid

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Dustin Pedroia officially retired.

He unofficially retired years ago

quote:

Kelli and Dustin Pedroia and their cheeky two-year-old son, Dylan, live across the street from Fenway Park, and one reason why is clear from the view out their 13th-floor windows. Fenway in the quiet morn, before the sausages sizzle and the pilgrims parade in wearing the liturgical garments of Red Sox Nation, sits below them like an unopened Tiffany box, all neat, pristine corners and possibilities. The Pedroias can see the centerfield scoreboard and, through a crack in the asymmetrical grandstand, first base. They also can spy a large chain-link gate on wheels, which sometime in the middle of the day will be rolled open to Red Sox personnel for the symbolic start of the baseball business day.

Kelli will catch her little guy pulling the drapes aside and checking the status of the gate. Is it open? How about now? Now? "It's ridiculous," she says. "He paces until it's open. He's not calm until he's at the ballpark."

And at last when his surveillance is rewarded—the gates swinging open six, seven hours before the game is scheduled to begin—the little guy is happy, for he knows it is finally time to go out and play. He is out the door and across the street in no time.

Dustin Pedroia even takes Dylan with him sometimes.

:smith: Probably my third favorite player from this era of Red Sox history behind only Papi and Mookie. Laser Show forever.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Gonna be a whole lotta angry :qq: posts on baseball Twitter and I am here for it :allears:

https://twitter.com/jasonmerims/status/1356266100183486469

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

So after the whole Nolan Arenado fiasco, I have decided that the Rockies are officially Dead to Me till the Momforts sell, I am in the market for a new baseball team. Please sell me on yours. I like competitive teams with cool guys that make stuffy baseball writers mad. I am leaning Yankees because the 27 rings thing is so obnoxious it boomerangs all the way around to become endearing and Desus and Mero are awesome.

LionYeti fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 1, 2021

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Hmm what's different about these two players.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

LionYeti posted:

So after the whole Nolan Arenado fiasco, I have decided that the Rockies are officially Dead to Me till the Momforts sell, I am in the market for a new baseball team. Please sell me on yours. I like competitive teams with cool guys that make stuffy baseball writers mad. I am leaning Yankees because the 27 rings thing is so obnoxious it boomerangs all the way around to become endearing and Desus and Mero are awesome.

Follow your heart, embrace the Toronto Blue Jays.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

LionYeti posted:

You can cheer for Dante Bichette's beautiful boy Bo Bichette as a fan of the Toronto Blue Jays. Dante even coached him up last year!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

It is physically impossible for me to have fun watching baseball if the players are having fun.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Poque posted:

It is physically impossible for me to have fun watching baseball if the players are having fun.

Best part is if you go back and watch those old games guys are pimping every home run anyway lol

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Dutchy posted:

The thing I don't get about Manfred's poo poo is who it's supposed to win over.
Advertisers and networks? My understanding is that baseball hates extra innings/long games primarily because they can't sell ads for it and it makes it impossible to schedule the games in coveted spots because they always go long.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Baseball always goes way over its timeslot.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Gerblederp posted:

Best part is if you go back and watch those old games guys are pimping every home run anyway lol

"I don't believe what I just saw! Kirk Gibson with the audacity to pump his fist!"

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

LionYeti posted:

if you want to go full heel turn as a former Rockies fan, the choice is obvious.... :getin:

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

bawfuls posted:

if you want to go full heel turn as a former Rockies fan, the choice is obvious.... :getin:

I'm tempted but unfortunately my family had a really bad experience in Dodger Stadium wearing Rockies purple. Beyond good natured other team in the stadium ribbing.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Banning the shift would be amazing and I hope it happens

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Inspector_666 posted:

Since he made it official, enjoy this ad featuring him that made me chuckle aloud.

https://twitter.com/Ben13Porter/status/1356305475546054656

This one, which I've been referencing as a joke here for years and nobody ever picks up on it, is the original and is also great

https://twitter.com/Cut4/status/1356290480556933125

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I remember seeing Pedrioa in the on deck circle in Philadelphia his rookie and thinking he was way to small to ever be a good player

That was dumb

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

LionYeti posted:

I'm tempted but unfortunately my family had a really bad experience in Dodger Stadium wearing Rockies purple. Beyond good natured other team in the stadium ribbing.
Sorry to hear that, people are poo poo

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

LionYeti posted:

Be a Padres fan.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

There is good news on the internet, today:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/hello-there/

I hope he eventually does get to start a new podcast because I want to know what Hawk Trap Guy is up to.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
the Mets acquired Jordan Yamamato from the Marlins

no I don't know why

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Julio Cruz posted:

the Mets acquired Jordan Yamamato from the Marlins

no I don't know why
He was one of the 'better' pieces from the Yelich deal

The other main piece was loving Lewis Brinson who can't hit

oh and Monte Harrison who also can't hit

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

euphronius posted:

Banning the shift would be amazing and I hope it happens

This is dumb

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

tadashi posted:

There is good news on the internet, today:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/hello-there/

I hope he eventually does get to start a new podcast because I want to know what Hawk Trap Guy is up to.
so we're chill with this hire? He says he wasn't involved and that's good enough?

https://sports.yahoo.com/astros-executive-asked-scouts-cameras-123908118.html

Yahoo posted:

The Athletic reports that an Astros executive asked scouts to spy on opponents’ dugouts in August of 2017, suggesting in an email that they use cameras or binoculars to do so.

The email, ESPN’s Jeff Passan reports, came from Kevin Goldstein, who is currently a special assistant for player personnel but who at the time was the director of pro scouting. In it he wrote:

Kevin Goldstein posted:

“One thing in specific we are looking for is picking up signs coming out of the dugout. What we are looking for is how much we can see, how we would log things, if we need cameras/binoculars, etc. So go to game, see what you can (or can’t) do and report back your findings.”

I guess he was suggesting a different sign stealing scheme, so it's all good then and he is still someone we're happy is working in baseball?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

his argument is that he did definitely send that letter, but

quote:

Let’s back up a bit. First off, the email is real, no “fake news” argument here. I sent it, and completely forgot about it until it was released by the media. It was sent as part of a plan to do advance scouting, a plan that never came to fruition, as the organization decided to all but eliminate in-person pro scouting shortly thereafter. The plan proposed was one of using cameras to be able to better see signals coming from coaches on the bases and in the dugout. Theoretically, this was to be done by scouts in the stands at non-Astros games. Once those signals were later decoded (unlikely, but if they were), that information was to be passed on to A.J. Hinch and his staff, who would presumably use their naked eyes to pick up said signals during games. There was nothing concerning catcher signals (which scouts couldn’t see anyway), live relays or anything like that. It was just an idea, sent by someone new to the advance world who was a bit green in that area, and who didn’t think that trying to better pick up signals was even a problem. I later found out that, at the time, it was a gray area, which in and of itself is a bit embarrassing.

Which can basically be summarized as "yeah, I tried to cheat, but in a completely different way and also didn't realize it was cheating at the time". Absolutely poo poo argument, but I guess I'm more willing to accept "cheater has to go write about baseball" than "cheater goes off to run another team.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

It is especially dogshit that he's been hired at Fangraphs, when Meg Rowley has had repeated and lengthy discussions on the podcast she co-hosts regarding the importance of diversity in baseball, not giving the same old white guys endless second chances, and the simple things organizations should do to avoid the appearance of impropriety.

In that context Rowley looks extremely hypocritical right now.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I honestly don't care about teams decoding poo poo after games or whatever. I assume everyone is doing that to pass along to players/managers for the next game.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Speaking of The Show, I bought 20 last year, the first time I'd bought a sports video game since the 2K era on Dreamcast. Will last years version keep up with this years roster moves? I'm assuming no

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I honestly don't care about teams decoding poo poo after games or whatever. I assume everyone is doing that to pass along to players/managers for the next game.

He was a spreadsheet blog guy, got a baseball job, went "hey we should do this, can we do this" and they said "no we can't" and then it went nowhere. I don't really care.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The thing with the Astros cheating scandal is that like everything seemed to clearly be saying "The Astros tried to cheat in a bunch of different ways and we found evidence of this one way and hey were 'punished' for that and now we're gonna pretend nothing else happened." Which like, fine. You can't punish people for "they probably cheated" anymore than those dumb Astro "everyone else is cheating too" defenses mattered. But also its no surprise to find out that yeah, they were throwing around a bunch of ideas.

Nodoze posted:

This is dumb

"Ban the shift" feels to me not entirely unlike if a bunch of players wanted to ban offspeed pitches because they couldn't hit them.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I don't care that much either but also I have zero reason to trust him when he says that was the extent of his involvement and he totally forgot about it until that email leaked.

It just so happens that the only sign-stealing-with-cameras scheme on the Astros he was connected to was the bit mentioned in a leaked email?

Maybe, but also that guy doesn't need a second chance in baseball. Elevate someone else who provides unique perspective. This is exactly the kind of argument Meg has made on EW many times in recent years, and here she is failing to heed her own plea.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Speaking of The Show, I bought 20 last year, the first time I'd bought a sports video game since the 2K era on Dreamcast. Will last years version keep up with this years roster moves? I'm assuming no

You should be able to download either an official update or a fan mod from the online vault.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

bawfuls posted:

It is especially dogshit that he's been hired at Fangraphs, when Meg Rowley has had repeated and lengthy discussions on the podcast she co-hosts regarding the importance of diversity in baseball, not giving the same old white guys endless second chances, and the simple things organizations should do to avoid the appearance of impropriety.

Presumedly, they hired him to serve a role that no writer in Fangraphs' history could have served and for which only one woman in baseball and very few men who are not white qualify for (because MLB is poo poo at recruiting.)

Goldstein didn't go to college and is adamantly pro-human and animal rights to the point of hating on Vick any chance he can get on Up and In. Among unique hires they could have made with this level of experience, he definitely doesn't fit the mold of a front office employee.

They're not really taking away an opportunity from an up-and-comer here. It's a unique opportunity. If anything, it just means they might not be able to hire Sam Miller if they wanted to (but I suspect he'll end up at The Athletic, anyway).

The good reason to hate Goldstein is for wearing socks with sandals but he's a cultural ally to marginalized groups.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 1, 2021

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I think it could be a very interesting and good (re)hire but yeah it obviously shouldn't be the extent of anybody they're bringing on board.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

bawfuls posted:

Up and In was one of the finest sports podcasts of all time, so honestly I don't care if he murdered someone. His real mistake in that introductory post is feeling the need to address the matter at all. Whether he was into sign stealing or any other kind of cheating with the Astros doesn't really have anything to do with his credibility as a writer.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Counterpoint: Not cheating, not trying

More teams should cheat imo

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

LionYeti posted:

I can't in all honesty recommend the Braves because of all the racist baggage but they are a competitive team with lots of cool young talent, some of which (Ronald Acuńa) regularly makes stuffy columnist types indignantly beshit themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Counterpoint: Not cheating, not trying

More teams should cheat imo