Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

cmdrk posted:

I can't get over the giant altar that Citizens put Chris Roberts and Tony Z on, given that they haven't made a game in literally 20 years. I assume Star Citizen is the perfect storm of nostalgia and midlife crisis spending for most of the 'investors' in this shitshow.

What bothers me more is that apparently sense cannot be talked into these people. God-Emperor Crobbler and favored son of the stimpire TONY Z can do no wrong. Nevermind that Sandi, Erin, and Ben Lesnick seem to have disappeared and the sexy bear can only be arsed to make token appearances once a year. The dreams.txt must go on.

It is. :)

They found the money tree of mid-life gamers who today happen to be successful adults. :)

The bonus is not a lot of them probably play games any, and likely haven't very much. They're not really aware of what games do today and probably built a $5000 gaming PC "just because" and play a game for 10 minutes on weekends before getting bored.

To them this is a way to play a game as an adult as it's made by an adult from that generation talking to them in ways they want to hear and they loved wing commander on their 486.

It's basically been an untapped money tree where most companies say "I'm going to make the product and sell it!" and CIG has taken the novel approach of "I'm going to sell making the product!"

Actually releasing the game would probably shut them down. :)

But the gamer mid-lifers want it and don't mind supporting some guy they grew up thinking "I remember him!" and he's just like them.

CIG also has redefined moral obligations by not twisting that knob and saying "I think I've partaken enough of your good will, let me deliver this to you now!" And cranked it up to 11 instead by sucking from that nipple, and for CIGs credit, the backers have not let that tap dry up.

So it's good for everybody I guess!

Unless you are one of those scrubs who actually wants a video game out of this. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Remember when the highlight of our CitCon presentation was announcing a new battlefield clone coming out in a few months and we even had a dedicated room where you could play it yourselves? Yeah that was actually just an internal dev tool to test new guns, not sure why you got the impression you'd get to actually play it.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/Jorunn_SC/status/1355968337587671040
https://twitter.com/Jorunn_SC/status/1356212800968929280
https://twitter.com/Jorunn_SC/status/1356214709150691334

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

If the ship requires dozens of players to operate and Star Citizen maxes out at 40 players per instance, who can you actually engage in combat with? :thunk:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/OyjdGzp.mp4

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

lmao

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

SC is Chris' dream game, I think Quantum is Tony's dream 'game'. Also, I expect them to license the tech to other studios when it shows what it can do, hence why its completely removed from CryEngine/Lumberyard.

quote:

Absolutely, this tech will revolutionize any games desire to simulate a massive economy, it may even get used in real world economics.

Tony is going to be in textbooks and lectures for decades.

quote:

With modifying, it would definitely allow open world games to have interactive systems that can be affected by the player without breaking. You could end up with a scaled up skyrim type game where the war is actually a little simulated, and decisions you make change the dynamics.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

The Titanic posted:

They they grew up thinking "I remember him!" and he's just like them.

I'm honestly surprised there aren't more John Videogames types that are successful as the Living Thumb insofar as grifting forum dads. Surely there's room for a Pepsi to Crobbler's Coke.

Richard Garriott, save us.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

cmdrk posted:

I'm honestly surprised there aren't more John Videogames types that are successful as the Living Thumb insofar as grifting forum dads. Surely there's room for a Pepsi to Crobbler's Coke.

Molyneux got away with it for a long time.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Someone’s thought about this more than CIG...

CIG posted:

...make sure we are trying to replicate what a distilled down version of the PU would play like rather than a Battlefield clone which serves no one. This is invaluable to me and the wider team as it helps us drive the core mixed arms experience.

reddit posted:

I'm sure they're working very hard on this... but I'm also 100% sure they're balancing around an unrealistic scenario where one side doesn't dominate the air and then slaughter everything on the ground with aircraft.

I have played thousands of hours of another large-scale combat game where people can bring as many aircraft as they want to the fight: Planetside 2. And air power was completely dominant until they implemented strong Ground-to-Air weapons that could serve as somewhat of a deterrent.
Some key differences:

* Planetside 2 has both a hard ceiling and a short maximum render distance, preventing aircraft from raining bombs from outside the defenders' range. Star Citizen has no such limitations.

* Planetside 2's weapons have a limited range that forces aircraft to get within the range of defenders' weapons. Star Citizen's weapons regularly reach 4km, the Crusader Ares S7 guns will reach ~8km... plus 30km torpedoes...

* Planetside 2 has a large number of dedicated, highly powerful Ground-to-Air weapons that can't be used by aircraft because they would be wildly overpowered as air-to-air weapons. These include vehicle-mounted flak weapons and G2A rocket launchers that many infantry carry. Star Citizen has a unified weapon mount system, so there are no ground-vehicle-only weapons to compensate for ground units' inability to dodge or avoid engagement. And while Star Citizen's infantry-serviced railgun is pretty good, it won't be effective against larger targets.

* And even with these attempts at balance in PS2, if the ground forces can't achieve a 'critical mass' of G2A power, aircraft can still dominate fights that don't take place entirely indoors.

TL;DR: In the PU, players will do whatever they can to win. Hover an updside down 890 Jump over the battlefield and the turrets can shoot at ground targets, while its capital-class shield keeps it safe. Hit Ballistas and Ursa Rovers from 10km with torps from an Eclipse. Load up literally everyone in Vanguards (or the current meta ship) to wipe away the enemy air forces, then slaughter anything on the ground. I sincerely doubt it's possible to achieve any semblance of a balanced "mixed arms experience" unless they go full 'Battlefield clone' and strictly limit what ships/vehicles are available to each side in order to prevent the use of tactics which would be commonly used in the PU.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Pixelate posted:

Yeah so now they say:

- It's changing to be more like the PU, with no limited maps or quick respawns.

That has the reek of The Crobbler all over it.

"No!" Chris exclaimed, stomping his foot, "They can't just respawn back in quick, there's no fidelity in that! They have to respawn 5 light years away and use mass transit to get back into the fight!! Change all that, and add some more blue pixels!"

Bmac32
Nov 25, 2012

Pixelate posted:

Another ToW update

They have always been at war with Release-asia

CIG, pushing the boundaries of horseshit technology since 2012.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
fear turd of war

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

MedicineHut posted:

So close to full realization, yet so far.

That Ken Williams quote reminds me of a networking teacher's method of estimating project lengths. His rule of thumb was to take how long you honestly thought it should take, double that number, then change it to the next time unit. So if you think a job you think should only take one day, it becomes a two week job.

Honestly, it's fairly accurate most of the time.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Huh. :thunkher:

Something seems odd here.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

cmdrk posted:

I think it takes a special kind of person to realize the product you have sold is not going to be what you sold, and keep on selling it despite your knowledge and years of failure.

Richard Garriott has already done this a few times. His most recent foray with I think Shadow of the Avatar ending with him renouncing his part as CEO and saying he was just an ideas guy the whole time and creative assistant.

But I'm sure if he had the money tree that CR found he'd strangle it until it was dead as well. :shrug:

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

The real 12 points was the Thug-Friends we made along the way
I can't comprehend the desire to have multiple players to operate one ship. From design-point it's a doomed cause: what do when there are jobs no-one wants to do a la tank/healer because the tasks are repetitive and may feel forced? When you are a lonely gently caress whose social interactions are limited to global chat reactions? In a game where random groupings just can't and won't happen because what is instancing? Ooor, what will happen if one of the people accidentally (but inevitably) desyncs/logs out? What tools are there for the team when one of the players starts griefing? Or the common issue of npc AI being completely useless and unable to perform even the simplest of group-tasks almost in every game ever?

I know the answer to these is by now: CIG has already figured out everything, just you wait, nonbeliever. The kind of wishful game design these people show is just .... just.... why? Have these people who wish these kind of design traps ever played with other people? What is it that they see that I'm missing?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

It's always so cute when citizens discover some decades-old methodology or technology and leap the conclusion that no-one talking about it means that it's unheard of as opposed to so universally heard of and standardised that it's no longer worth mentioning.

And by “cute” I mean headache-inducingly stupid.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Pixelate posted:

Someone’s thought about this more than CIG...

The whole ground vs space ship debate has been thought out by almost everybody except CIG in how it could function.

When you have space ships with huge guns that can stop and hover in place and everybody gets a space ship... there is no point to anything else. Any ground vehicles will get destroyed without knowing what killed them.

If you make ground weapons powerful enough to kill somebody's $500 jpeg you've pissed off your buyers.

There really is no win situation here because instead of make a sandbox where people are free to play with the toys, you've put dollar values and expectations to what people buy externally from the game.

They effectively have to make the game pay to win, and on top of that their methods of player engagement don't put ground forces in any kind of advantage at all under any circumstances.

They should just... make a space game about space ships that fight each other in space. And only worry about balancing that area, which will already be super hard to begin with.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

DarkDobe posted:

Did anyone say sandiworm yet?

Yes, once.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

That has the reek of The Crobbler all over it.

"No!" Chris exclaimed, stomping his foot, "They can't just respawn back in quick, there's no fidelity in that! They have to respawn 5 light years away and use mass transit to get back into the fight!! Change all that, and add some more blue pixels!"

After being physically crippled and languishing in a hospital bed for maybe days, possibly even dying and requiring their next generation of family to takeover for their previous character.

The Titanic fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 1, 2021

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Goatson posted:

I can't comprehend the desire to have multiple players to operate one ship. From design-point it's a doomed cause: what do when there are jobs no-one wants to do a la tank/healer because the tasks are repetitive and may feel forced? When you are a lonely gently caress whose social interactions are limited to global chat reactions? In a game where random groupings just can't and won't happen because what is instancing? Ooor, what will happen if one of the people accidentally (but inevitably) desyncs/logs out? What tools are there for the team when one of the players starts griefing? Or the common issue of npc AI being completely useless and unable to perform even the simplest of group-tasks almost in every game ever?

I know the answer to these is by now: CIG has already figured out everything, just you wait, nonbeliever. The kind of wishful game design these people show is just .... just.... why? Have these people who wish these kind of design traps ever played with other people? What is it that they see that I'm missing?

Inevitably you'd need to use some sort of looking-for-group system to fill those crew slots- except last time I heard "agent smithing" was out so you'd have to fly all the way to where the cap ship is operating, and be stuck there till they dock again, and better hope that rando you recruited isn't working for the enemy team and sabotages you mid-battle.

(for that matter, what happens when the owner of the ship isn't logged in? Are the all the players logged off on the ship just screwed over till the owner logs on again?)

So many questions. You'd think they'd wanna address all these before starting the game... :thunk:

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
The Star Citizen thread- putting more thought into this game than anyone at CIG ever has...

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

The Titanic posted:

The whole ground vs space ship debate has been thought out by almost everybody except CIG in how it could function.

When you have space ships with huge guns that can stop and hover in place and everybody gets a space ship... there is no point to anything else. Any ground vehicles will get destroyed without knowing what killed them.

If you make ground weapons powerful enough to kill somebody's $500 jpeg you've pissed off your buyers.

There really is no win situation here because instead of make a sandbox where people are free to play with the toys, you've put dollar values and expectations to what people buy externally from the game.

They effectively have to make the game pay to win, and on top of that their methods of player engagement don't put ground forces in any kind of advantage at all under any circumstances.

They should just... make a space game about space ships that fight each other in space. And only worry about balancing that area, which will already be super hard to begin with.

Event the most hard-core real-life playground sandboxes don't allow kids to bring a full-size excavator to play with, even if their parents can afford them.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Goatson posted:

So what you're missing here is that all this was designed not around being a video game, but around being a movie.

So while your bridge crew is doing a hot battle, your fighter pilots are swapping in and out and taking showers between missions and eating at the fidelity mess hall while the ship rocks from explosions.

In a movie, there's lots of background characters doing stuff. Cleaning rooms, fixing broken stuff, to have that rain of welding sparks shower over a scene where your scrappy pilots are holding a briefing in their room on a TV showing the action as it fizzes in and out.

All of SC has been designed around having "these moments".

The problem here is that players aren't out to make sure you capture those dramatic moments. They're going to shoot until the other player goes boom. They're probably not going to "lose you" because you went behind an asteroid to lick your wounds. They'll just also go around the loving asteroid and continue to shoot you.

So what you have SC doing is trying to build all of these ancillary, pointless things for people to do for dramatic moments that never make sense in an actual video game.

Not to mention they are bad at making these moments in anything but a cinematic prerendered YouTube video.

They want every fight to be Han Solo in the asteroid field evading the Star destroyers and having all that drama.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

The Titanic posted:

I didn't know he existed. And I came from the world of Doom 1, Commander Keen, shareware disks, and Atari/Commodore 64 cartridges.

Hello fellow old-school enthusiast :wave:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Even the act of getting a mission is supposed to be a movie.

Going to that seedy bar. Enjoying a drink with Bob 10-jackets as he squints at you and assesses if you're wearing the right kinds of clothes while having had a good bath to shave sometimes in the last day or two.

While you get your mission, other players who are waiting for their dynamically served drinks are overhearing you and spying, ready to beat you to the punch while an npc cries about their family member that was killed the other day.

Meanwhile an unassuming merchant npc who just made a sale and was picked to be the quanta representative affected prices for the place and has stopped in for a cold drink as well while unbeknownst to him a player is stowing away inside a box being loaded into his cargo hold even as he sips his drink, where the ice slowly melts and tinkles against the side of the glass.

This is, you know, the Star Citizen dream of how it will all work or something.

Where I've seen this in other games is players queue up behind the player currently experiencing "the cutscene" to wait their turn to get the same/different story point cutscene.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Scruffpuff posted:

Hello fellow old-school enthusiast :wave:

Every day I am more grey. Considering coloring everything purple for fun.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

The Titanic posted:

Every day I am more grey. Considering coloring everything purple for fun.

Make sure you use 8K textures.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Theaters of Chore

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

The Titanic posted:

So what you're missing here is that all this was designed not around being a video game, but around being a movie.

So while your bridge crew is doing a hot battle, your fighter pilots are swapping in and out and taking showers between missions and eating at the fidelity mess hall while the ship rocks from explosions.

In a movie, there's lots of background characters doing stuff. Cleaning rooms, fixing broken stuff, to have that rain of welding sparks shower over a scene where your scrappy pilots are holding a briefing in their room on a TV showing the action as it fizzes in and out.

The problem here is that players aren't out to make sure you capture those dramatic moments. They're going to shoot until the other player goes boom. They're probably not going to "lose you" because you went behind an asteroid to lick your wounds. They'll just also go around the loving asteroid and continue to shoot you.

So what you have SC doing is trying to build all of these ancillary, pointless things for people to do for dramatic moments that never make sense in an actual video game.

Not to mention they are bad at making these moments in anything but a cinematic prerendered YouTube video.

They want every fight to be Han Solo in the asteroid field evading the Star destroyers and having all that drama.

This x1000. Every decision where we all scratch our heads and think "but why??" can be answered by understanding this. Chris's fetish with Hollywood is as pathological as it is derivative. He's has a stunted understanding of something he has no talent for, and is enamored of his own misconceptions of what movies are. His mental disability extends to confusing real gaming immersion with the emotional impact of a well-written scene with camera angles, music, etc.

He's not the only guilty party in this area. There are plenty of "horror" games out there that attempt to mimic films by using bizarre camera angles, cutscenes, quicktime events so that what's on your monitor approxmates what you'd see in a film. It's not terribly effective, because you're just watching a barely interactive movie. Real games that keep you in your skin, like Amnesia, are far more likely to have you poo poo your pants.

It's bizarre any developers take that route in the first place. If your fantasy is to be IN Star Wars, then there are no camera angles and there is no music. If you really want to live the fantasy all that dumb poo poo has to be stripped away. "Look, it's like being in a movie!" No, it's not, Chris. It's like watching a very bad movie made by a low-grade moron. There's no such thing as being "in" a movie. The actual question to ask is, if the events of this film occurred in real life, how would they play out? That's the game you make.

Canasta_Nasty
Aug 23, 2005

Thoatse posted:

Theaters of Chore

I can't wait to agent smith into various janitors during this new game mode. That mess hall isn't going to clean itself and with the new Theatres of Chore, you'll get fast-paced mop action more lethal than Dustforce!

.random
May 7, 2007

Thoatse posted:

Theaters of Chore

Theaters of :wom:?

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Scruffpuff posted:

He's not the only guilty party in this area. There are plenty of "horror" games out there that attempt to mimic films by using bizarre camera angles, cutscenes, quicktime events so that what's on your monitor approxmates what you'd see in a film.

I dont care for cutscenes or quicktime events and I generally don't like it when games try to be cinematic.

I do like fixed camera angles and prerendered backgrounds. I still enjoy the REmake for it's atmosphere and its almost 19 years old. I wouldn't want the majority of games to use them though and they have more of a nostalgic appeal to me.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 1, 2021

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Elderbean posted:

I dont care for cutscenes or quicktime events and I generally don't like it when games try to be cinematic.

I like fixed camera angles and prerendered backgrounds though. I still enjoy the REmake for it's atmosphere and its almost 19 years old. I wouldn't want the majority of games to use them though.

There's a fine line there, tough to define, between a style decision (fixed backgrounds, some game types like walking sims, games that tell a fixed story, Inside is a good example) and games that forcibly grab control from the player in a disorienting way in order to force it to appear like a movie (The Medium is closer to this). The first type knows it's a game, but chooses its own style and feel. The second type is trying to be a movie because the developers think it would be cool if games were more like movies, man!

The second type does have a place in gaming, though. They're great for people who aren't really into gaming so much but enjoy interactive storytelling. They're also a good on-ramp for people new to gaming in general. Or even long-time gamers who just want something different and relaxing.

Where CR is going wrong (besides literally everywhere) is that he's trying to make the second type and shoehorn it somehow also as a simulator with fidelity, but also a movie taking control from the player with dramatic camera angles and moments plagiarized from some scene that stuck in his thick skull while he watched a film he barely understood.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 1, 2021

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Pixelate posted:

Another ToW update

They have always been at war with Release-asia

lol they hosed up their battlefield clone so bad they had to retcon it into being part of the only thing they've ever done that has seen even an ounce of success. That's fuckin rough lol

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

The Titanic posted:

I kinda get the movie sentiment. I've done roleplaying in mmorpgs where your character was usually a template for your class and race, but then as a player you tried to breathe some life to everything by giving your avatar a backstory (and usually a speech impediment to stand out). You were a thespian and the entire game was your stage. You would play as your character would play and encounter other figures who wanted to treat you as part of their story. It was fun most of the time... However, even there I remember the moments of absolute boredom: not enough other players to interact with your character; the repetition; it was the same five idiots who you were talking to as "random encounters" from a day to next; the artificiality of it all as players clustered to few well known social hubs and stayed there; no spontaneous encounters ever happened anywhere outside those few social hubs. You took what you had and it worked because the game you were playing was fun. however here... Most games get that transitions or traveling are fun only the first time you do it. Heck, movies rarely show traveling anywhere if doesn't belong to the narrative. Chris doesn't seem to realize that there's repetition, there's all the in-between spaces, theres tons and tons of stuff that is part of immersion, but isn't meaningful once you've done it once.

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

I mean, the movie mentality shows. I remember seeing the squadron 42 tour thingie from ages ago and it was weird. Everything is paced to be slow. The players follow NPC dialogue and never skip any scenery. The scenes are there to be looked atbut nothing feels interactive. Everyone and everything feels busy and nothing seems like you'd be doing anything there. The camera follows the instructions and everything is mind-numbingly boring.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Goatson posted:

Heck, movies rarely show traveling anywhere if doesn't belong to the narrative.

Not related to gaming, but this part made me think of a pet peeve of mine. You ever see a TV show where the main characters are constantly driving all over the place, one of them has something to tell the other one that's super critical, and the other guy says "no time, we have to get to X" and no more is said about it until they step out of the car some 1500 miles away. You didn't have time to explain during that 24 hour journey you just had?

But that's actually the point. The drive isn't something you want to watch for 24 hours, and they intentionally do this to extend the drama. Star Citizen is a game about only the drive and nothing else.

It's 1971's The Duel but without the truck.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001
So now that the news has broken that Google has closed both of its Stadia game development studios, I guess we can expect that one weirdo on twitter to start spamming unofficial recruitment messages to the people who just lost their jobs.

Sure, none of them worked with CryEngine, but it's clear that they'd at least be able to pick up CIG's company culture immediately:

quote:

But as a game-maker, Google appears to have packed it in. Said one source familiar with Stadia’s first-party operations, citing another tech giant’s widely publicized failure to create video games: “Google was a terrible place to make games. Imagine Amazon, but under-resourced.”