Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

The_Franz posted:

that's generally how logs look when hardware is going bad

yes, that and the same thing happening on two unrelated os installs would definitely be an indicator that poo poo be hosed.

otoh, maybe OP can just keep installing distros until they find one that doesn't care about failing hardware

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Nitrousoxide posted:

Wow! Impressive! Fedora is so advanced it is planning future kernel core dumps.

"signalize"?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
nice thread title

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Lysidas posted:

"signalize"?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Lysidas posted:

"signalize"?

signalize, it's a word, look it up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpEaFmK3lrY

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

infernal machines posted:

yes, that and the same thing happening on two unrelated os installs would definitely be an indicator that poo poo be hosed.

otoh, maybe OP can just keep installing distros until they find one that doesn't care about failing hardware

Its what I do

I still believe that gentoo will last the longest because it compiles around the hardware problem. Like a learning machine, it simply finds new ways to make things work :awesomelon:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

maybe it's a noisy kernel and not hardware errors

unless we can see the actual logs that cause the report to be made in the first place then we just don't know

Is your process table just chock full of the same kernel process? If a kernel process actually crashed, then the kernel won't be able to clean it up and will just leave it there. On the other hand, it could just be a helper process in userspace although that should probably yield the frames to get a report generated.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

isn’t it the other way around? like a competent distro will ship a kernel with symbols enabled so you can always get a usable backtrace from an oops, but you need debuginfo installed to get a good backtrace in userspace

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

infernal machines posted:

have you run memtest? you know, just for the hell of it?

Yep! No memory errors on a full 4ish hour memtest.

I'm also running a S.M.A.R.T. diagnostic just in case the drive is going bad and a bunch of bad data got written/corrupted in the install, but I doubt that is it since the windows install on that same drive is fine.

I assume the future kernel error is just it reporting the error in UTC time before it was connected to the internet to sync up the system clock, and thus reporting it 5 hours ahead of local.

I do have some weird hardware issues going on though. My ethernet device was failing to grab an IP address under DHCP on three different OS's, Fedora, PopOS and even Windows. It took booting into Windows and, because I'm familiar with how to do it there, forcing a reset of the device, to fix it across all OS's, at least for the time.

I'm probably going with what I've read online about my motherboard from people who have this one and have tried to use it with Linux. That it just plays really wacky with Unix-like systems.

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'm probably going with what I've read online about my motherboard from people who have this one and have tried to use it with Linux. That it just plays really wacky with Unix-like systems.
If I read your inxi log properly, your mobo is still using the f2 bios (released in April 2017). According to Gigabyte's website, there's a bunch of bios updates available. It might be worth updating and see if that fixes your issues.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Bourricot posted:

If I read your inxi log properly, your mobo is still using the f2 bios (released in April 2017). According to Gigabyte's website, there's a bunch of bios updates available. It might be worth updating and see if that fixes your issues.

I actually went an applied those yesterday (after I took the inxi report) for this exact reason. No improvement in the issues, though the computer does boot faster now.

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

Then it might be time to fiddle with the bios settings.
I know that with my B450 mobo, I had to disable "CPU Performance Boost" to get rid of some stability issues with Linux. Not saying it might be the same for you, but looking around the various CPU options in the bios may help.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Same, the only time Arch has completely wrecked my system was in college when they made the transition from init to systemd. There was this very convoluted system for how to transition if you didn't want to wipe and reinstall the OS and it completely hosed my computer.

my hosed arch story is me starting a system update and then a few minutes later forgetting that i had done so as i unplugged the computer to move it. iirc it resulted in some critical libraries being missing and i couldn't be bothered to boot off usb or whatever to fix it

its on me for unplugging it to begin with but also on arch that their packaging can apparently leave things in a limbo state at some point in the update process

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Progressive JPEG posted:

my hosed arch story is me starting a system update and then a few minutes later forgetting that i had done so as i unplugged the computer to move it. iirc it resulted in some critical libraries being missing and i couldn't be bothered to boot off usb or whatever to fix it

its on me for unplugging it to begin with but also on arch that their packaging can apparently leave things in a limbo state at some point in the update process

Yes I also regularly unplug computers mid-update then blame issues on the package manager.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

yeah, what? a package manager is supposed to expect random power outages during installs? even if it did, turning off. a machine during writes will gently caress something up

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

spankmeister posted:

Yes I also regularly unplug computers mid-update then blame issues on the package manager.

i had the power cut during an update last year

it's fedora which does offline updates though, so it was fine

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i think the guy huffing laughing gas running arch for gamers, their grey forums question, the cause is probably their gigabyte motherboard. in my experience their gear is no bueno and their support is industry leading, if the goal is to provide the worst support possible. i have never had any issues with arch, though i don't use it (or linux) that often. if i'm linuxing at home though, it's probably arch because it's easy to reconfigure to what i want

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Nomnom Cookie posted:

isn’t it the other way around? like a competent distro will ship a kernel with symbols enabled so you can always get a usable backtrace from an oops, but you need debuginfo installed to get a good backtrace in userspace

I agree that an actual oops usually gives a pretty reasonable traceback.

I don't know if this error reporting package is actually smart enough to root through dmesg to pull out the backtrace, or if some other issue is happening that causes the package to consider the event to be an error.

We just don't know until we have the log that is actually triggering the reporting system.

Nitrousoxide, does the dmesg tool show anything useful?

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

hahahhahaha

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Bourricot posted:

Then it might be time to fiddle with the bios settings.
I know that with my B450 mobo, I had to disable "CPU Performance Boost" to get rid of some stability issues with Linux. Not saying it might be the same for you, but looking around the various CPU options in the bios may help.

because the pc components market mostly produces trash for gamerbros, lots of motherboards have default settings which overclock the cpu and/or ram. makes their board look better in lazy reviews which don't try to correct for fuckery like that, often causes instability.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

sb hermit posted:

I agree that an actual oops usually gives a pretty reasonable traceback.

I don't know if this error reporting package is actually smart enough to root through dmesg to pull out the backtrace, or if some other issue is happening that causes the package to consider the event to be an error.

We just don't know until we have the log that is actually triggering the reporting system.

Nitrousoxide, does the dmesg tool show anything useful?

Here's the dmesg for a couple of the events.

https://pastebin.com/pLb5Yauh
https://pastebin.com/QK1a7CWD

Personally it looks like a motherboard issue from the end of the log.

Oddly enough I haven't gotten any today? This is a really weird problem I'm having across distros. It's gotta be a hardware problem, and memtest/SMART both confirm no failure on the part of RAM and storage, which would be where I expect to see this stuff popping up. I suppose theoretically it could be the CPU (though if it's throwing out garbage calculations I would expect that to show up in the memtest)

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 1, 2021

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Nitrousoxide posted:

Here's the dmesg for a couple of the events.

https://pastebin.com/pLb5Yauh
https://pastebin.com/QK1a7CWD

Personally it looks like a motherboard issue from the end of the log.

Oddly enough I haven't gotten any today? This is a really weird problem I'm having across distros. It's gotta be a hardware problem, and memtest/SMART both confirm no failure on the part of RAM and storage, which would be where I expect to see this stuff popping up. I suppose theoretically it could be the CPU (though if it's throwing out garbage calculations I would expect that to show up in the memtest)

Looks like you need to play around with your ethernet card, eno1

quote:

[ 9.653914] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eno1: link becomes ready
[ 15.013349] ------------[ cut here ]------------
[ 15.013374] NETDEV WATCHDOG: eno1 (r8169): transmit queue 0 timed out

Likely, you will need new or better firmware.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

A netdev timeout is only bad if you want good performance out of your network card. Otherwise, you can disable it in the bios and those errors should go away.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

quote:

[ 5.154831] cfg80211: Loading compiled-in X.509 certificates for regulatory database
[ 5.155462] cfg80211: Loaded X.509 cert 'sforshee: 00b28ddf47aef9cea7'
[ 5.159191] platform regulatory.0: Direct firmware load for regulatory.db failed with error -2
[ 5.159198] cfg80211: failed to load regulatory.db

well, wifi might not work either

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Nitrousoxide posted:

Wow! Impressive! Fedora is so advanced it is planning future kernel core dumps.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

decided to try livebooting fedora from a USB on my laptop to see how it'd go. the ASUS ZenBook's touchpad is actually asecond screen for some stupid loving reason and, well...

and yes i had to navigate to the display settings from the touchpad to fix it

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.
2021 is the Year of Linux on the Trackpad

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

i vomit kittens posted:

decided to try livebooting fedora from a USB on my laptop to see how it'd go. the ASUS ZenBook's touchpad is actually asecond screen for some stupid loving reason and, well...

it truly is the year of linux on the desktop

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

i vomit kittens posted:

lol if they did this to one-up apple touchbar and the rumors of apple shitcanning the touchbar turn out to be true

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

BobHoward posted:

lol if they did this to one-up apple touchbar and the rumors of apple shitcanning the touchbar turn out to be true

that's actually the sane way they did it because it doesn't mess with ergonomics like their gigantic touchbar does

Low-Pass Filter
Aug 12, 2007

i vomit kittens posted:

lmao

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

i vomit kittens posted:

:five: ahhhh yeah this is the sort of poo poo I come to the linux thread for

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i vomit kittens posted:

goddamn

:kiss:

pram
Jun 10, 2001

i vomit kittens posted:

lmao

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i vomit kittens posted:

expected linux behavior

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

tbh i'm not even sure it's a linux thing, obvs the display is just a mini touch screen connected to a regular gpu video out and asus set up the bios so it can be detected as if it's the main display and never bothered to test w/ linux

it's still really funy tho

lmao

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

i vomit kittens posted:

Lmfao

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

i vomit kittens posted:

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

i vomit kittens posted:

This should be running the xmatrix screensaver all the time, IMO.