Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I played on PC like any right thinking gamer so I didn't know that'd be an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Oh I thought all the refresh rate and foshizzle is on par with monitors on modern TVs.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/kath_krueger/status/1356332659790782466?s=19

God I hope we get more movie episodes

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i don't care what Will says i'm excited for that Sion Sono movie

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Chakan posted:

https://twitter.com/ByYourLogic/status/1356145211907465216

Let this be a lesson to everyone: don't play sekiro on something with bad visual lag. It's probably the only game that I've played where this matters. I am happy for Felix and his gaming endeavors.

Lmao is he using like a piece of poo poo Best Buy Black Friday special with motion smoothing turned on or something? I picked it up again a few months ago and the lag from my PC -> steampunk -> my 10yo tv was negligible.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Slanderer posted:

Lmao is he using like a piece of poo poo Best Buy Black Friday special with motion smoothing turned on or something? I picked it up again a few months ago and the lag from my PC -> steampunk -> my 10yo tv was negligible.

I think it's more likely Felix experienced the "your brain unlocked how to defeat a FromSoft boss effortlessly after getting crushed by it for the past three hours" phenomenon for the first time and attributed it to the TV/monitor swap.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Felix is just bad at gaming. Juzou is an early game miniboss.

E:^yeah

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
That whole area is optional, you can tackle it at any time. But I don't think anybody realizes that

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Seems like it's there so that if you get stuck on some part in the main route, you can drop it for a while and try something else. Pretty nice for an uncompromisingly hard game.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I'm glad the funny podcast man is having fun playing a video game

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

littleorv posted:

I'm glad the funny podcast man is having fun playing a video game

I'm not. The little child bitch needs to grow up and watch "Thief" starring James Caan.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Felix will never defeat Isshin, the Sword Saint.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

I'm not. The little child bitch needs to grow up and watch "Thief" starring James Caan.

Friendly reminder that this is on HBO Max this month and is incredibly good

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Groovelord Neato posted:

I think it's more likely Felix experienced the "your brain unlocked how to defeat a FromSoft boss effortlessly after getting crushed by it for the past three hours" phenomenon for the first time and attributed it to the TV/monitor swap.

yea it's this unless he's playing on some absolute garbage tv, but i'd expect someone who dropped a game because of fov sliders is going to have a good set up

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
If they want to talk about white male upper class privilege, Biden got accused of rape, and his backers responded by trying to disband the #metoo movement.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/SAMOYEDCORE/status/1356599460260839431?s=20

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

boooo

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟
Cold open was a banger this week

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This episode was so good I’m just listening to it again. Everyone is so funny.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Incredible opening

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

to me matt's whole thing with the shape of water isn't really about the quality of the movie but more about progressives patting themselves on the back for a movie that feels like deep cultural statement, while the right is just going to interpret it as proof of their depravity. matt is just peeping it from the two perspectives

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

a cyberpunk goose posted:

to me matt's whole thing with the shape of water isn't really about the quality of the movie but more about progressives patting themselves on the back for a movie that feels like deep cultural statement, while the right is just going to interpret it as proof of their depravity. matt is just peeping it from the two perspectives

two stupid perspectives

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

This is like his reason for not liking video games - very stupid.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Are we not allowed to just say “the fish movie looked like a wishy washy and pretentious fantasy drama about not letting society browbeat you into normalcy and that just seemed really trite and stupid”? because that was my experience.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

This is like his reason for not liking video games - very stupid.

what do you think his reason for not liking video game is. everyone seems to have their own (usually super wrong, which is baffling since i feel like he always articulates it pretty well!!) interpretation of this

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If my primary exposure to games was the stuff they play on the twitch channel I would think they sucked too

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

what do you think his reason for not liking video game is. everyone seems to have their own (usually super wrong, which is baffling since i feel like he always articulates it pretty well!!) interpretation of this

He’s extremely bad at them because he has the hand-eye coordination of a walnut. He can’t handle anymore psychological pressure than successfully ordering a pizza, he’s bad at video games because timers and platforming and getting shot at aren’t things he can handle without being noticeably agitated.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

He’s extremely bad at them because he has the hand-eye coordination of a walnut. He can’t handle anymore psychological pressure than successfully ordering a pizza, he’s bad at video games because timers and platforming and getting shot at aren’t things he can handle without being noticeably agitated.

oh i thought this was about the Great Video Game Debate that he and virgil did

those all seem like valid personal reasons to not want to play video games to me

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's been ages since I've listened to him talk about them but from what I remembered he thought they were too immersive or something. I assumed he was going to have a good take like the medium is stuck in its infancy (since it is) and he couldn't get into them for that reason. If his take is something else and I'm misremembering feel free to correct me.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
“The medium is stuck in its infancy” is a completely nonsense criticism and hasn’t applied to video games since 1998.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Bust Rodd posted:

“The medium is stuck in its infancy” is a completely nonsense criticism and hasn’t applied to video games since 1998.

Not really when the games that get the highest praise are the ones that best mimic (or attempt to mimic) movies. I wasn't opening the floor to discussion of my correct take either this was about Mr. Cushbomb.

Heath posted:

I think he understands the problem (that video games demand a large time investment for very little payoff in terms of personal development to the point where they can actively hinder it) but because he doesn't play games he can't accurately identify the causes. He doesn't know what it is that makes games addictive, or at least doesn't know how to phrase it.

This makes sense - it was just from what I remember what he was saying came off as more people wouldn't be able to differentiate between reality and games or some weird poo poo like that.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 2, 2021

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's been ages since I've listened to him talk about them but from what I remembered he thought they were too immersive or something. I assumed he was going to have a good take like the medium is stuck in its infancy (since it is) and he couldn't get into them for that reason. If his take is something else and I'm misremembering feel free to correct me.

I think he understands the problem (that video games demand a large time investment for very little payoff in terms of personal development to the point where they can actively hinder it) but because he doesn't play games he can't accurately identify the causes. He doesn't know what it is that makes games addictive, or at least doesn't know how to phrase it.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
IIRC it was mostly an outgrowth of his reading of Adorno. Leisure time shouldn't be time spent doing nothing productive and instead should be spent as a way to foster deep learning and self-improvement. If that's your view, it makes perfect sense that you'd think videogames were an essentially negative activity.

There's no need to discuss it further or try and really engage with it as an artistic media.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

And yet he doesn't denounce Felix's addiction to the one-armed bandit...curious.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Updating the worst chapo chart:
1. Matt
2. Will
3. Producer chris
4. Felix
5. Amber

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Groovelord Neato posted:

Not really when the games that get the highest praise are the ones that best mimic (or attempt to mimic) movies.

That's not actually true either

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

matt's general analysis is basically that video games are a unique medium in their task/reward flow, and the constructed realities are juuust good enough that people can stay sucked into them 24/7 for years on end. passive entertainment can do this too, but video games are pretty intensely successful in this regard.

since chapo is implicitly in the leftist hyper-debate-cube, people take this to an extreme to imply that matt is saying that the revolution can't happen because these dang sheep are too distracted by their gadgets to do a revolution.

matt's more nuanced zoomed-out perspective is just that it's an observation, it's just how things are. there isn't truly a qualitative judgement to make. people across all time and space have down time and they like to unwind in arbitrary "unproductive" ways, that's normal and fine. if he could thanos-glove ourselves into an alternate reality where maybe video games, 24/7 news, endless reams of immaculately produced escapist shows and movies etc, didn't exist, then maybe people would be a little more engaged with the world around them. but it's a dead end hypothetical

he's contrasting his observations to another set of hope-punk poo poo, which virgil is more partial to, that video games will change the way people think about politics and the world around them for the better. matt just doesn't think it matters and it's more or elss another nail in the individualist hell scape coffin we live in which has been paved by 10000 other stones already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

re: video games ... are they art?

shut the gently caress up the "is it art" discussion sucks rear end, it's a medium that's good for some things and not good for others. i make them for fun and love video games and am very familiar with their numerous limitations for certain kinds of narratives, but they are also pretty special at some types of things. i like this little essay on the topic: https://tinysubversions.com/fuckvideogames/#slide1