Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Mr. Prokosch posted:

I thought starfruit wine had a better ROI than ancient fruit jam?

According to the wiki

quote:

...if looking at profit per day based on the time required, the preserves jar outpaces the keg regardless of the base value of the item (in every case except for Hops and Wheat) since the preserves jar has a much faster processing time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Mr. Prokosch posted:

I thought starfruit wine had a better ROI than ancient fruit jam?

Per crop yes, but ancient fruit yields twice the crops. Same deal as wine is strictly more profitable than preserves, but preserves process twice as fast.

Just looking at the base stats, a starfruit seed (ignoring the upfront cost) yields a 750G crop every 13 days; ancient fruit, a 550G crop every 7 days. Taking the LCD (91 days), you'll get 5,250G worth of starfruit vs. 7,150G worth of ancient fruit per 91 days.

Obviously starfruit starts out one harvest (well, like 1.2 harvests) ahead because of ancient fruit's 28 day growth time but it doesn't take long for ancient fruit to catch up, especially considering the multiplicative effects of kegging/preserving.

Kegging vs. preserving, it's similar: ancient fruit wine (ignoring Artisan) is worth 1650G, vs. preserves at 1150G--but per 7 days you get 1650G worth of wine vs. 2300G worth of preserves. But ancient fruit (for instance) produces at a perfect 1:1 ratio with the 7 day production time of wine, but only 1:2 with the 3.5 days for preserves, so preserving is only actually more profitable if you have more crops than kegs. Otherwise your jars just sit empty half the time because you're out of crops to put in them.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 1, 2021

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

By the way, Hoppers can be useful for things like - using the new Geode Crusher passively throughout your day as a daily chore, having a bunch of recycling happening, cycles on machines that take very little time like Seed Makers or kegging Coffee Beans... sure it could be better, but it's not like it's completely useless even at the superendgame you get it at.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Alxprit posted:

By the way, Hoppers can be useful for things like - using the new Geode Crusher passively throughout your day as a daily chore, having a bunch of recycling happening, cycles on machines that take very little time like Seed Makers or kegging Coffee Beans... sure it could be better, but it's not like it's completely useless even at the superendgame you get it at.

The thing that gets me is that a hopper can only put things into the machine in front of it. It can't take things out. So it's not much faster than running down the line with reloads; the major benefit is that you don't have to have those reloads in your personal inventory.

Also, unless I was doing something wrong, it doesn't look like the hopper can skip things in the hopper queue. 6 Gold coffee beans, followed by 30 Silver in the Hopper pointed at a Keg (5 beans at a time)? It will push the first 5 Gold Coffee beans into the keg, but it won't automatically move on to the Silvers when the keg is free because there's a solitary, uncombinable gold coffee bean in the queue.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

maltesh posted:

The thing that gets me is that a hopper can only put things into the machine in front of it. It can't take things out. So it's not much faster than running down the line with reloads; the major benefit is that you don't have to have those reloads in your personal inventory.

Also, unless I was doing something wrong, it doesn't look like the hopper can skip things in the hopper queue. 6 Gold coffee beans, followed by 30 Silver in the Hopper pointed at a Keg (5 beans at a time)? It will push the first 5 Gold Coffee beans into the keg, but it won't automatically move on to the Silvers when the keg is free because there's a solitary, uncombinable gold coffee bean in the queue.

Oh god, is this true? Ugh. I'm hoping this gets patched out, or already was since you last tried it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Listening to this I think I'll just install automate. My first mod, wonder how long I can resist installing another hundred :allears:

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Oh god, is this true? Ugh. I'm hoping this gets patched out, or already was since you last tried it.

Unfortunately, I tried it just before making the post. On the other hand, I do have the Automate mod installed, and while I did explicitly disable it on the Hopper, it's possible that having it installed resulted in that odd behavior.

Probably should check if the same issue can pop up if you're feeding multiple ore types with coal into a furnace, and you wind up with less than five of the first ore type while there's still coal available.

It's been basically been my first time experimenting with the hopper, because acquiring the Radioactive Bars required to build them has been slow going in my game.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Where do you plant mangos and bananas on the island? I've yet to find a single piece of land that accepts em.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
can you plant them? You plant the tree saplings to get them, I don't think you just replant the fruit to get a new tree.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
You plant the saplings same as any fruit tree. The fruit are not plantable, same as any fruit.

Consider the greenhouse, but either way make sure all surrounding spaces are clear.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The game doesn’t let you plant fruit trees in places they can’t grow any more, and you even get a morning notification if they’ve stopped growing due to spreading weeds or debris.

E: on the farm, at least. Assuming the former also goes for the greenhouse.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Yes, I meant the saplings.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Bogart posted:

Where do you plant mangos and bananas on the island? I've yet to find a single piece of land that accepts em.

On the Island farm I find its tillable land. Anywhere its green probably won't work and neither will sand. Otherwise same rules as any other fruit tree.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Yeah, I've got the button held down and I've got nothing. Might be a mod conflict. Can plant them in the greenhouse but not the island.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
For an experiment I decided to bungle into the Skull cavern just to see what it was like, I ended up getting my rear end handed to me before I could even heal myself on the first floor. Sufficed to say I plan to become much more prepared next time. The good news is though I finally managed to complete the Community centre and for some unknown reason I got another Chromatic shard from a random slime, so that's good.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Once you reach the end of the mines every monster gets a 1/2000 chance of dropping a Prismatic Shard

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

So close! Alex and Sam really are pains in the rear end to max out hearts. The girls' cold shoulder event has already come and gone and they're talking to me again. This is as of Summer 2 so I'm hoping with both of their birthdays coming up I might be able to make a Fall wedding to whoever I decide on.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
How did you make Sam put on tinfoil hat? Is that the seasonal clothes mod?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I think it's a bandana, but yes.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Re: the slime discussion last page, the real reason to do the slime hutch is so you can put incubators around town, then the hatched slimes will occasionally greet people. You can also hatch slimes in your house and your spouse attacks them. I don't know if Krobus does, though

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Tars Tarkas posted:

Re: the slime discussion last page, the real reason to do the slime hutch is so you can put incubators around town, then the hatched slimes will occasionally greet people. You can also hatch slimes in your house and your spouse attacks them. I don't know if Krobus does, though

Huh. Fair enough. I haven't bothered to release Slimes into the town yet.

Also, I guess, if you are actually making the effort to breed the diamond-bearing White Slimes, the new Tiger Slimes are apparently quite useful for that.

To answer a question upthread, I'd say the potential drops from Purple Slimes are more desirable than those of Tiger Slimes, I just wanted Tiger Slimes because I wanted the newest, most deadly farmable slimes as pets.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Tombot posted:

For an experiment I decided to bungle into the Skull cavern just to see what it was like, I ended up getting my rear end handed to me before I could even heal myself on the first floor. Sufficed to say I plan to become much more prepared next time. The good news is though I finally managed to complete the Community centre and for some unknown reason I got another Chromatic shard from a random slime, so that's good.

If you were getting nailed by the serpents (flying green and yellow thingies), swing your sword much earlier than usual. Their hitbox is quite large and they fly fast, so you need to swing earlier than you're probably used to for the bats and stuff in the regular mines.

Grab the galaxy sword if you can, though the Lava Katana (purchasable from the Guild) will do in a pinch.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Does anyone else use this farm planner? https://stardew.info/planner/

Is there a way to move the greenhouse? I suppose they might not have implemented it yet, since I think moving the greenhouse was added in 1.5, but I just want to make sure. I'm on the forest map, and there's precious tillable land underneath that thing

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah you can move it now, but you do have to unlock it first.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I actually just meant on that website lol

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat
I just ran across a weird bug. The only way I can play co-op now is by LAN game only. Steam invites aren't working, and the invite code box doesn't show. Steam's working properly. Anyone else had this happen?

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Since a day or two ago I've no longer been able to r.click>join on my friend's game. Three of us are on the map and I'm the only one who has to wait for her to restart the game after the daily save so I can join. The game acts like the clicks never happened and doesn't even bring up the "Connecting..." screen.

Also her client crashes too often when one of the other two of us join if it's more than a few in-game hours into her hosting.

Anyway, what's this about radioactive ore and mushroom trees? I can't find any info on it elsewhere and want to dabble with a hopper.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Is there any way in game to find out how to get the galaxy sword or is it literally just "get a friend to tell you or look it up on the wiki"

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

GlyphGryph posted:

Is there any way in game to find out how to get the galaxy sword or is it literally just "get a friend to tell you or look it up on the wiki"

there's secret notes that hint at it but those have the problems with all secret notes: you might never see them in the course of normal gameplay.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Andrigaar posted:

Anyway, what's this about radioactive ore and mushroom trees? I can't find any info on it elsewhere and want to dabble with a hopper.

You'll find a locked door on the island. After you open it you'll find quests there like the community board and various items for sale. 2 of those quests change the mines and allow you to harvest radioactive ore while they are active.

Any more than that is spoilers.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

GlyphGryph posted:

there's a very cryptic set of hints - specifically, one of the gravestones in the town is inscribed in Dwarvish, and when you learn the language it says:

Stand between the pillars three
With gift as precious as the sky:
A rainbow forged from land, not sea
Then galaxies will heed your cry

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Moon Slayer posted:

So close! Alex and Sam really are pains in the rear end to max out hearts. The girls' cold shoulder event has already come and gone and they're talking to me again. This is as of Summer 2 so I'm hoping with both of their birthdays coming up I might be able to make a Fall wedding to whoever I decide on.

For future games where you're cheating with everyone have a rabbit's foot in your inventory for that event and you will have a different event take place and they won't be angry. I suppose it'll still work for the all guys event too.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

there's a very cryptic set of hints - specifically, one of the gravestones in the town is inscribed in Dwarvish, and when you learn the language it says:

wow it's been so long I completely forgot this was a thing at all

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

limp_cheese posted:

You'll find a locked door on the island. After you open it you'll find quests there like the community board and various items for sale. 2 of those quests change the mines and allow you to harvest radioactive ore while they are active.

Any more than that is spoilers.

Not too concerned about spoilers, but in the spirit of the thread I'll say we're into that room and have completed a few quests, up to wrapping up one about some smug fruits in the next 2-3 game days.

We may have already done that quest (one guy trashes dungeons for fun, and I wasn't really part of either expedition as I like the farming.), but if they are repeatable, I'll give it a shot.

Thanks.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Psion posted:

wow it's been so long I completely forgot this was a thing at all

Same here on my current playthrough.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Andrigaar posted:

Not too concerned about spoilers, but in the spirit of the thread I'll say we're into that room and have completed a few quests, up to wrapping up one about some smug fruits in the next 2-3 game days.

We may have already done that quest (one guy trashes dungeons for fun, and I wasn't really part of either expedition as I like the farming.), but if they are repeatable, I'll give it a shot.

Thanks.

If the mines 'Hard Mode' quest has been done, the bottom floor has a shrine for switching the mine between dangerous and normal mode, allowing you to freely farm radioactive ore. The same is probably true of the caves?

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

This is my latest farm on switch, last day of spring in year 4. I really want 1.5 to come out!

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

thrilla in vanilla posted:

This is my latest farm on switch, last day of spring in year 4. I really want 1.5 to come out!

Are you going to restart or continue with the 4 corners?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
What is the best map? I'm regretting my choice of hill-top farm, as the mining nodes respawn far too slow to be of any real use, and the river and cliffs split up the terrain too much in my opinion. But I find the default map terribly boring. I'm considering restarting with the forest farm, or the beach farm, or maybe the wilderness farm. Any thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The best farm is the default farm because you can decorate the whole thing yourself and turn it into whatever you want.

For early game minmaxing the forest farm is probably best, easy access to hardwood is really nice, both for the hardwood itself and for grinding foraging.