Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Rusty Kettle posted:

The Race for the Galaxy and Roll for the Galaxy apps are awesome, and when you aren't playing with people, the AI is very good. I've gotten many hundreds of games in between these two apps.

Roll might click well, I didn't realize there were app implementations of those. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Galaxy Trucker is the best Boardgame app.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Beware: I have heard several people tell the story of how they bought the Race for the Galaxy app, played a few dozen games against the AI, and accidentally gained the strength to crush anyone who would want to play the game against them in real life.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

nrook posted:

Beware: I have heard several people tell the story of how they bought the Race for the Galaxy app, played a few dozen games against the AI, and accidentally gained the strength to crush anyone who would want to play the game against them in real life.

Are you a Trumpinista or something, that you get tired of winning?

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

nrook posted:

This is true of any game though. The more you play it the better you should get.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

nrook posted:

Yes this happened to me

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I have a friend that played ~100 games of Race on the app and came to the conclusion that the whole game comes down to luck which was definitely an opinion...

They would not give me an approximation of their win rate against the hard ai.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

After buying the app and playing about 50+ games of Race I sold off my nearly complete Race physical set.

Still have Roll and New Frontiers.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I’ve played the Root app against friends so much over the last few weeks that when we sat down to play in person the other day I had completely forgotten how to do it without the app assistance lol. It took a second to spark my memory again. But that app is amazing

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

FulsomFrank posted:

Pledged for this one instantly. Although I have to say that I don't especially love the art-direction. It feels a little more muddled than say, 18MEX?

I feel like after following this thread for god knows how long, I should back this out of principal if not any other reason as 18X games are raved about
I've never played an 18X game but do believe I got a nice small group that would try it. Hmmm. Something to kick around

We are getting together tonight for Whisky, wine and board games in fact.
A War Of Whispers 2nd edition will hit the table again. This will be the 2nd time and there is A LOT of interest in more playthroughs. We all greatly enjoyed this game and is significantly "deeper" then expected after the first turn.
Skulls, Undaunted North Africa(buddy really wants to try it and I haven't cracked it open yet) and Mysterium will all hit the table before a few more "party" games get busted out as a few more join us.

We got a solid group of 4 of us with a few who join for the lighter games. They are open to more complex games and aren't opposed to confrontation in games, which was a big no no in my last group due to sore losers.

They really want to bust out their copy of Game of Thrones, so maybe next weekend.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I feel like after following this thread for god knows how long, I should back this out of principal if not any other reason as 18X games are raved about
I've never played an 18X game but do believe I got a nice small group that would try it. Hmmm. Something to kick around
Don't. 1860 is not a great starter game for 18xx as it's so different. I'd recommend something like 18Cheseapeake instead.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

tomdidiot posted:

Don't. 1860 is not a great starter game for 18xx as it's so different. I'd recommend something like 18Cheseapeake instead.

Yeah this is not the entry point for you. Look for: 1830, 18Chesapeake, 18MS, 1879, 1889, not nesscarily in that order.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
On the contrary, 1860 is one of the few 18xx titles that are compelling at lower player counts (2-3). Also 60 is it’s own beast in the XX genre so it’s not like a game of 1889 is really going to make learning 60 any easier:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Which are the good expansions for Race for the Galaxy again? The last few pages made me try the app and it’s very good.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

The first one is just straight up an improvement, the two after that are good too.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
We've played like 8-10 games of Rebellion now, with the Rebels either winning or capitulating almost every single time. By the end of our fifth game, we'd started to realize there are really only like three really good Rebel base locations, and a handful of ballsy remote ones, depending on setup. So we like the concept of the game, and we'll probably still play it when we want something lighter, or with our mutual friend who's really into Star Wars, but as for just the two of us, we're ready to move onto something deeper, where we can really sink our teeth into the possibility space.

What are the most important things to know going from Star Wars: Rebellion into War of the Ring? (Or just, in general, what are the most important things to know before playing War of the Ring?)

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jan 31, 2021

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

The first one is just straight up an improvement, the two after that are good too.

The first three are all pretty good, but the second one introduces takeovers which can be a very annoying mechanic to some, and the third one has prestige which is a bit too powerful on some cards. You can still just get them and take some of those cards out if they bother you.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Gonna post this here rather than the KS thread, cause it's not live until March 23rd

Saw that a new version of Fjords is heading to KS soon.
https://twitter.com/GrailGames/status/1355176810087124999
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/322564/fjords

Has been out of print for a while and is apparently quite good.

quote:

This new edition of Fjords differs from the original release in the following ways:
- The game now plays up to 4 players.
- The game contains 5 new variants/modules designed by Phil Walker-Harding. These add optional variety and flavour to the game.

Carcassone + Vikings? :hmmyes: Sign me the gently caress up.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yeah I've got fjords, it's a nice little abstract. Don't know that it's amazing enough to warrant a reprint but if I didn't live with someone who hates abstracts I'd probably play it every so often.

Going up to multiplayer is interesting.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Elysium posted:

The first three are all pretty good, but the second one introduces takeovers which can be a very annoying mechanic to some, and the third one has prestige which is a bit too powerful on some cards. You can still just get them and take some of those cards out if they bother you.

Yeaah I must confess to literally never ha ing played with takeovers - its optional soo just ignore it.

The prestige expansion is definitely the weakest of the three but I still think it's very good.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yeah I've played a hojillion games of race in the app and hundreds with actual cards and also have not played with takeovers.

I've come around to enjoying prestige in the app at least, but dunno how it plays in person.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Prestige is cool and fun, when it’s a back and forth kind of thing. When someone gets an early prestige and starts steamrolling with one of the power prestige cards, less so. It’s not exactly unbalanced as a whole, but it can definitely unbalance individual games.

That being said getting an early lead and steamrolling with the power prestige cards is one of the more fun ways to crush the AI.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jan 31, 2021

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
What's up with Spirit Island's Jagged Earth expansion being sold out everywhere? I can't even find anyone talking about how it can't be bought.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

LifeLynx posted:

What's up with Spirit Island's Jagged Earth expansion being sold out everywhere? I can't even find anyone talking about how it can't be bought.

It’s just between print runs. It’s a crazy popular game that was released to retail like 2 months ago. I’m sure it’ll be available again very soon given the demand for it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

(Or just, in general, what are the most important things to know before playing War of the Ring?)

The Free Peoples are not going to win by military means unless the Shadow is very dumb.

Setting up Mount Gundabad is two minutes of your time that has been completely wasted.

Play with the Lorien rule if it isn't included in the base game.

And I still don't think anyone has found a better Shadow strategy than DEW (Dale/Erebor/Woodland Realm).

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Jedit posted:

The Free Peoples are not going to win by military means unless the Shadow is very dumb.

Setting up Mount Gundabad is two minutes of your time that has been completely wasted.

Play with the Lorien rule if it isn't included in the base game.

And I still don't think anyone has found a better Shadow strategy than DEW (Dale/Erebor/Woodland Realm).

What's the Lorien rule?

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Infinitum posted:

Gonna post this here rather than the KS thread, cause it's not live until March 23rd

Saw that a new version of Fjords is heading to KS soon.
https://twitter.com/GrailGames/status/1355176810087124999
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/322564/fjords

Has been out of print for a while and is apparently quite good.

Carcassone + Vikings? :hmmyes: Sign me the gently caress up.

This is one of the games my wife and I break out for Pandemic Lunch these days. I think it’s been on my shelf since 2005, played once. It’s a fantastic 20 minute game, and the hex variety does a great job of generating unique terrain within the constraints of “mostly mountains and water with scarce farmland”. I’m really curious about the variants!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I want to play Arkham Horror LCG. I’ve heard the core game is fine but not amazing, but the dunwich legacy is really great, so was considering buying both at once.

Aside from the core game and the dunwich legacy expansion itself, do I need any/all of the mythos packs?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

PMush Perfect posted:

We've played like 8-10 games of Rebellion now, with the Rebels either winning or capitulating almost every single time. By the end of our fifth game, we'd started to realize there are really only like three really good Rebel base locations, and a handful of ballsy remote ones, depending on setup. So we like the concept of the game, and we'll probably still play it when we want something lighter, or with our mutual friend who's really into Star Wars, but as for just the two of us, we're ready to move onto something deeper, where we can really sink our teeth into the possibility space.

Did you play the base Rebellion all 10 games? IIRC Rebels were pretty favored to win in the base but the expansion evened it out a lot. It’s really one of the better expansions not for what it adds, but how it changes the game (combat, balance, etc).

We’ve been playing a lot of Race and using the resource cubes from New Frontiers instead of face down cards which is nice because it takes up a lot less table space and lets us play on the coffee table. Previously we’d have to cover the cards almost fully or fiddle with tucking them awkwardly and now we have those ridiculous chunky space cubes but they sit nicely in one corner of the card. We just started using Prestige again and the search ability is probably the best bit of the expansion. It definitely races the overall power level of your engines every game.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013

fischtick posted:

This is one of the games my wife and I break out for Pandemic Lunch these days. I think it’s been on my shelf since 2005, played once. It’s a fantastic 20 minute game, and the hex variety does a great job of generating unique terrain within the constraints of “mostly mountains and water with scarce farmland”. I’m really curious about the variants!

This is wild to me. I've never heard of the game, and then you come in with a glowing recommendation. Hobby is amazing for the breadth of experiences

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

tomdidiot posted:

What's the Lorien rule?

In the expansions Galadriel has an ability that lets the Free Peoples player use an Elven Ring to discard and redraw an Eye tile from the Hunt Pool. The recommendation when not playing with the expansions is that the FPs should start the game with this ability, losing it if Lorien is ever occupied by the Shadow player.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

nrook posted:

i actually avoid picking up electronic versions of boardgames I own because of this (specifically the Keldon AI for RFTG) Sure, I can master dominion by playing 5000 games of it online, but I'd rather keep vague pace with the real life people I play with and play other videogames.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

nordichammer posted:

This is wild to me. I've never heard of the game, and then you come in with a glowing recommendation. Hobby is amazing for the breadth of experiences

I think I got it as a gift somewhere around the height of my Carcassonne Problem and shelved it because it was like Carcassonne, but simpler. But it's like Carcassonne, but simpler! There are 3 components: hex tiles that build your fjords, little farm houses, and little 'field' disks.

During the first round, pick a tile, flip it over to reveal, and find a place to put it. If you want, you can put a farmhouse on any greenspace on the tile. If you can't place a tile, it goes in a public area. The next player can either flip a random tile or place one from the public area. Each player only has a handful of farms to place, so you have to place them very carefully... but good farm placement is determined both by where the tiles fall now, where your other farms are, and the events of the next round.

Once you run out of farms to place, the second round starts. There's a little bit of cypherin' to figure out who goes first, but in this part players take turns placing fields either adjacent to their farms or their already-placed fields. Hopefully you thought ahead in your farm placement to block off areas (kinda like Go)! In the rare cases there are large contiguous amounts of greenspace, it's a challenge to figure out how to block off your opponent from farming more than you. There's lots of "if I go here, and she goes there, then I'll go here and she'll go..." only to have your opponent throw down a field token somewhere unexpected. Fill in your uncontested areas and add up the points, then do it again! That's it.

It's a little tricky to teach to some people, because the placement of farms in round one is so disconnected from the claiming of fields in round two.

I think 2005 me wanted more complex rules and shinier colors and lots of choices. Oh, and 3 hour games. 2021 me really, really appreciates the complexity that can arise from minimal components/rules. Don't get me wrong, I AFFO just like anyone else, but I've really come to appreciate roll&writes, simple Zoom-friendly dice games, and other 20-minute adventures I can get onto the lunch table.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

jesus WEP posted:

I want to play Arkham Horror LCG. I’ve heard the core game is fine but not amazing, but the dunwich legacy is really great, so was considering buying both at once.

Aside from the core game and the dunwich legacy expansion itself, do I need any/all of the mythos packs?

Uuuuh, it's an LCG so it's eternally More Stuff.

The Dunwich isn't really held in all that much regard, being a somewhat straightforward campaign (but then again, that's good for intro). It's okay and has a bunch neat player cards. The core set is a three-mission minicampaign, that's a good tutorial and a good medium-sized gauntlet to test out a deck, but it's just not a full-blown campaign with all the bells and whistles.

What you want to grab, if willing to go above the bare minimum demo of a single core set is... a second core set, to get full complement of each card - that's the only thing I'd call a must have, so you can do proper deckbuilding and not be reliant on the luck to draw singular copies of key cards (not in combo sense, but more "any weapon at all" sense). If you play it and feel like the box is worth going through more than once, with different decks and so on, then cool, get hooked and grab any campaign cycle that's available in stores at the moment (sans maybe one or two the internet will warn you to leave for later). If you don't... Well, honestly, if someone is to buy a used core set, they'll be happy to buy the second one as well anyway.

Note that "Return to..." boxes are a separate product than a given campaign - they're kind of postmortem remix packs for both tweaking the rougher edges of previously published cycles and adding some variety/hard mode to them. They very much provide stuff to bolt on top of usual cards you need to have - a campaign cycle is a series of eight (smaller) card packs.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I would say that, as a fan of Arkham Horror LCG, the supply problems can be a loving *nightmare* to deal with. Be prepared to be frustrated with not being able to get all of the mythos packs for a cycle at once or having to do a lot of hunting around if you do want to get into the game.

Note that whenever you get a deluxe expansion you get the first 2 scenarios in a campaign, meaning deluxe + 6 packs gives you a full story, so ideally you want to get a complete cycle all in one go.

Once you've got the complete Dunwich cycle you can go on any of the others if you want to expand your collection, though you might want to pick purely on availability to be honest. Path to Carcosa is generally held to be the best while Forgotten Age is pretty hard, but really there isn't a bad choice here and you can pick whatever takes your fancy.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I got my copy of Hallertau this weekend, and my wife and I have played through a couple of games. So far, I really enjoy it. I don't have the depth of experience with Rosenberg games that a lot of others in the thread have, but it's got some nice twists on regular worker placement games that I like. My big struggle with most point salad Euros is figuring out what the hell I should be doing. This gives you a starting hand of action cards to kind of give you some direction. First game took us around two hours, including reading the rules and learning how to play. Second game took right around an hour, and both our scores went up from the first game, which is nice. She still beat me both times though.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

nrook posted:

The flipside is that I spend so much time singing the praises of RftG that lots of people in my sphere have picked up the app. So now when I play someone in person, the games are intense.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

felt like grabbing some hollandspiel since the holiday sale slipped by me this time. was thinking of getting escape from hades and one of the district commander games and was curious if anyone had opinions on the latter in particular

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

When you die in Hades, does your Dad say sarcastic things about you for the full effect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Is Dwellings of Eldervale only a new set of Kickstarter hotness? I have no knowledge of it other than it being mentioned in passing in several places at the moment. It looks like a fairly standard worker placement, I'm not sure what it's offering to get so much attention.

Infinitum posted:

When you die in Hades, does your Dad say sarcastic things about you for the full effect?

One of his assistants always comments after respawn, but Dad will often say things at home after context-specific points.