Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Averages across 30 data points are directly comparable to averages across 4.

Someone run the average of the the battle royale from whats announced for Wednesday.

Couldn't find an age on Max Caster so I just went with 30 (which is almost certainly too old), the average age of the battle royale is 30.

Fun note: Jericho is the only person over 40 in the battle royale.

Pylons fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

MassRafTer posted:

It was very clear and it's something Rosenberg himself has joked about.
Was Dave joking when he said I committed various ethical lapses, then?

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

probably not. he was joking about this, though.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

davidbix posted:

You aren't a WWE TV character and his posts did not seem to be in jest so they don't seem to be similar.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

even if dave wasn't joking how does it make him a piece of poo poo? like whats the big deal accusing this guy of paying for a title run with the joke title?

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

https://www.reddit.com/r/Wreddit/comments/kxlgej/something_i_realized_when_watching_the_rise_and/gjciqog/

The only thing I can see as a comparison is the cult fan base. I don't really see any other genuine comparisons.

You have to give it to ECW that they forced a certain shift in wrestling. More hardcore stuff became more mainstream and audiences expected a shift back away from some of the cartoonist stuff of the early 90s. It was "their" style. If AEW closed doors tomorrow, what would be their "thing" that future companies would want to emulate? Re-doing only WCW angles with guys a fraction of the drawing power? Having 90lbs guys on top of the card? Making wrestlers "relatable" and nerdy. I don't see that being a thing to hook people in.

AEW doesn't feel "gritty" to me, it feels amateurish. Or what an amateur with a lot of money would do. ECW could be described as gritty because it was presented as such. It was deliberately meant to look raw and edgy.

Plenty of their guys could and eventually did slot right into the WWE, it wasn't like they were totally untrained or out of their depth. They were trained wrestlers, they just didn't get WWEs attention due to their look or preferred style or whatever, not because they couldn't wrestle.

AEW will hire anyone. It seems that way. Untrained people, home or self trained people, people with no TV experience, no promo ability, dangerous workers, a lot of their roster are people NXT rejected at the Performance Center tryout stage, not even NXT proper or main rosters... AEW will hire them thinking they are spiting WWE. I get the feeling if you were dangerous or a problem in ECW guys wouldn't have had a problem putting you in your place.

Production wise, it's amateurish, not gritty. They have the money to shoot and produce a more professional product but don't seem to know how to do it.

Every botch is on camera, every punch with clean air, production doesn't cover up wrestlers short comings and wrestlers don't know how to play to the camera. ECW was the opposite of that. WWE gets hate for "shakey cam" etc but it's such a dumb thing for smarks to complain about. They do it to make moves have impact and cover up times there will be clear air or awkwardness in the moves... It protects the wrestlers, you'd think Smarks would understand that.

AEW doesn't do it and it exposes their wrestlers a lot. Paul ran on a budget but he knew how to produce something compelling and make it look like those guys beat the hell out of each other, not airing their bad spots.

As for realism. WWE has more "real" characters right now. I mean, who is really a cartoon character in WWE that's in any prominent spot? Roman, Drew, Orton, Hurt Business, Sheamus, AJ, Keith Lee? All bad mother fuckers.

AEW have dentists, librarians, male cheerleaders, song and dance routines, Pockets, a comedy cult, they literally wink and nod and the camera as they make "inside jokes", have so many guys who are too small and/or not in shape being presented as someone we're meant to believe could make it in a fight sport.

This is my main issue with AEW, I can get over poor production quality or ok storytelling but I don't want to watch 4th tier WWE... The first 3 take up more time than I have to watch already. They promised something else, they said they had better ideas and creative than WWE. But they haven't.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

quote:

The biggest point to Paul is his ability to craft long-weaving storylines and create effective payoffs that benefited everyone. Something I don't think we've seen from AEW yet.

Someone who clearly doesn’t watch the product

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

actually wracking my brain to figure out who in AEW is a male cheerleader

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Lol this guy seems fun. You know who can't promo? Jon Moxley.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SCJerk/comments/l96yp3/general_discussion_sunday/gli1o4y/

Jon Moxley has BITCHED about how the WWE wouldn't let him do his death match mudshow poo poo infront of a family crowd. He's WHINED they wouldn't let him do his own promos and instead gave him a coherent script due to WWE knowing he hasn't a loving clue how to write a promo. And he's CRIED at length about how WWE gave him the worst creative ever (lol)...

Fans have said how REFRESHED they are that he plays with barbed wire, spits incoherently at live mics and acts more serious! They love him being a loner now like Stone Cold Moxley.

Until this week... when the internet has started praising him for an angle where he begrudgingly joins a trio and cuts a "less serious, more relaxed, almost fun promo"... Yes folks, you can't write this type of comedy. The IWC is happy that Jon Moxley has joined a trio, done a less serious promo and is showing more of a "fun side".

Yup, but gently caress Dean Ambrose, amirite? LOL.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

quote:

As for realism. WWE has more "real" characters right now. I mean, who is really a cartoon character in WWE that's in any prominent spot? Roman, Drew, Orton, Hurt Business, Sheamus, AJ, Keith Lee? All bad mother fuckers.

lol

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Alaois posted:

Probably talking about Sonny Kiss.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

davidbix posted:

"it's impossible for dave to tell a joke because he pulled some bullshit on me" is certainly a stance you can take

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

could be austin gunn

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

the guy that spent a bunch of time dressing in newsie attire, total badass

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Odds that this is word for word a Cornette rant?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

This whole sub is a nightmare

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

your friend wicka posted:

This whole sub is a nightmare

It's the "serious discussion" subreddit for scjerk.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Senerio posted:

Odds that this is word for word a Cornette rant?

Yeah, they even referred to OC as "Pockets"

Also, the Fiend and alexa are cartoon characters

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Which members of the AEW roster in television roles are untrained?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
"Who in WWE is a cartoon character, other than the magical swamp murder clown and his girlfriend who dresses like a child for some reason"

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Anyone who hasn’t been to the PC

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Vampiro.

Edit: Sorry, spoiler.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Benne posted:

"Who in WWE is a cartoon character, other than the magical swamp murder clown and his girlfriend who dresses like a child for some reason"

the LORE of the FIEND

Lethrom
Jul 12, 2010

Drew comes out with his "Grandfather's Sword" as though Scotland was fighting wars with claymores two generations ago, even ignoring Wyatt/Bliss thats still some cartoon poo poo.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Lethrom posted:

Drew comes out with his "Grandfather's Sword" as though Scotland was fighting wars with claymores two generations ago, even ignoring Wyatt/Bliss thats still some cartoon poo poo.

Three generations ago, though...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Churchill

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Alaois posted:

The Blade

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

https://youtu.be/W3y4b6F_UjI

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
ever since i saw that i wanted to ask mox why he was billed from elk city, oklahoma, a place that i've been and can confirm nobody should want to be billed from

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

MassRafTer posted:

(The guy screenshotted is mad about Dave's joke about whether Peter Rosenberg bought his 24/7 reign.)

To be fair, the person that is mad has worked with Peter Rosenberg and the Masked Man when Grantland had a wrestling podcast.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

sleepwalkers posted:

"it's impossible for dave to tell a joke because he pulled some bullshit on me" is certainly a stance you can take
Less that and more "I find it increasingly difficult to give him the benefit of the doubt, especially when he's baselessly making GBS threads on media members."

Also, I may be remembering this wrong, but hadn't he signal boosted the "rumor" about Rosenberg before as something legit, much earlier in his run with WWE?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

davidbix posted:

Less that and more "I find it increasingly difficult to give him the benefit of the doubt, especially when he's baselessly making GBS threads on media members."

Also, I may be remembering this wrong, but hadn't he signal boosted the "rumor" about Rosenberg before as something legit, much earlier in his run with WWE?
i get why you’re unable to give him the benefit of the doubt, but you gotta be able to notice when you’re the only one standing in that corner and think “ah, maybe i’ve misread this in part due to my legit grievance with him.”

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

davidbix posted:

I have no recollection of Dave doing that previously. I do remember that it’s been discussed on these forums before.

Also, is Rosenberg part of the media or WWE PR?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Punch McLightning posted:

I have no recollection of Dave doing that previously. I do remember that it’s been discussed on these forums before.

Also, is Rosenberg part of the media or WWE PR?

On screen kayfabe WWE character.

Also this person did midcard because if they did main event -1 would skew AEW's number really young.

https://twitter.com/bigberthafaye/status/1356559933668384768

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
I love that they consider NXT's entire main event scene midcarders

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I, too, pick the starting lineup of the Midland RockHounds when figuring out the average age of the Oakland A's.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

MassRafTer posted:

Also this person did midcard because if they did main event -1 would skew AEW's number really young.

Turns out it's easy to get numbers that prove you right if you cherry pick your data to fit :thunkher:

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

MassRafTer posted:

Page, Kingston, Penta, Matt Hardy and Fenix have all appeared in PPV main events for AEW.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I don't even feel that age is the problem in many respects. It's half the roster having been around for near a decade and done nothing part of the WWE roster that's the real killer.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I really have no problems with old guys being on top of the card if they're the biggest stars you have and can go well enough. WWE does it badly because they have a wealth of talent never before seen in wrestling history and outside of the women's division they never push anyone new in a way that will actually be exciting for the fans. I don't think its so much about getting over anymore, many wrestlers are still over after burial booking by WWE, the problem is more that the fans are demoralized so that even someone who is over with the fanbase doesn't generate excitement because it's always with the caveat that WWE will spite book them.

If Roman's initial face push had worked, would WWE have had him lose over and over and become a geek eventually? I really think so. WWE is so anti-fan I could see Charlotte or Corbin being relegated to main event were they actually generating a lot of babyface support from the fanbase.

I do not understand it but the last several years of WWE shows it to be true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
If you have cool stories for old guys or the old guy has never gotten a chance you can have a really fun product with old guys (but should be getting newer talent heated up because you need to keep things fresh.)

If you have bad stories for old guys it feels way more stale than if you have bad stories for young guys since at least the young guy is something new.