Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Eejit posted:

Thoughts on products like Ride Wrap? I am getting new bike and maybe that's a good buy? I fall enough that the sweet roarnge paint job is gonna see some hurt.

I did this with my bike when it was new, I used that UK based online one where you have to put it on yourself and it took forever but turned out quite well.

I'd do it again for any new carbon bike. For aluminum bikes I wouldn't really care I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

casque
Mar 17, 2009
I've had good luck with NixFrixShun Ultimate Bicycle Chainlube.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Steve French posted:

Your list is missing “moon dust”

(I’ve just been using Dumonde Tech for everything for years but now I ride like 90% or more in completely dry conditions but with a lot of dust, so I’m interested in suggestions for when my bottle runs out)

Right, I listed wet conditions because he said it's the rainy season until June. For 90% dry riding, almost certainly stick to something like Silca's wax drip lube or some other wax drip.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 24, 2021

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
So basically I just need to resign myself to cleaning the drivetrain after every ride until the dry season.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Braincloud posted:

So basically I just need to resign myself to cleaning the drivetrain after every ride until the dry season.

I'm new to mtb but this is what I do with gravel/cx.
It's annoying but like, not as annoying as a nasty drivetrain.
(P.S. for Seattle riding I use prolink progold and just wipe it down/reapply after every wet/muddy ride)

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Pretty much, yeah. At least wipe all the dirt and grime off after every ride, lube every couple or if it gets really muddy or starts squeaking. Something like rock and roll is a lot quicker and easier to use than dumond. RnR you just pour a bunch on there and then wipe off the excess and it cleans and lubes all at once. Dumond, which I've been using for a few months, needs your chain to be really clean, then you apply pretty sparingly, then wipe off all the excess, then there's still gonna be some grime and lube that comes out after the next ride that you have to wipe off again.

In addition to shifting better and lasting longer, a super clean drivetrain looks better too

jamal fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 24, 2021

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

VelociBacon posted:

I did this with my bike when it was new, I used that UK based online one where you have to put it on yourself and it took forever but turned out quite well.

I'd do it again for any new carbon bike. For aluminum bikes I wouldn't really care I guess.

I did RideWrap (the Whistler one) on my frame. Shop let me take it home while we were waiting on parts, and that made it a bit easier than it would have been. Agree completely; it’s a pain, but it turned out well and I’d do it again for any carbon bike. It’s already taken a couple of hits that I’m sure would have put some scratches in the frame if I hadn’t had it. Aluminum I could go either way, but I don’t think you’d regret either choice.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I know a guy who runs a car detailing and paint protection business so called him up to see if he'd like to try something a little more interesting. They didn't have any cnc patterns so hand cut all of the pieces from scraps and did the whole bike for about $150 parts+labor with nice xpel car clear bra. Considering how long it would have taken me to get right and loving with the materials and buying supplies, spray bottles, etc, I think it was worth. Its held up to my crashes well so far. Worth giving your local car detailers a call to see if they'd be up for it.

150 was the original quote, he gave me a friendly discount after but I was ready to pay the full too.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
My only issue with RnR Gold/Extreme is how much you use per application. The price/application is quite high. Cost aside, it's great for dry conditions and probably my goto non-wax based lube.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Did my third mtb ride ever. Pretty fun stuff.
Riding trails when it's snowing is way better than riding road when it's snowing.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

bicievino posted:

Riding trails when it's snowing is way better than riding road

Agreed!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Same.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

bicievino posted:

Did my third mtb ride ever. Pretty fun stuff.
Riding trails when it's snowing is way better than riding road when it's snowing.

Tiger Mtn? I saw we got snow that low.

The GF and I headed down to Smith Rock, OR this week with plans to do some mountain biking and climbing and nature decided it was time to dump 8” of fresh snow on the area. Took a hike today to see how the trails were and they’re a bit too icy for riding. Hopefully the sun will melt them out a bit this week but it looks like I’ll just be trail running instead. (Who am I kidding, I know I’ll take the bike out in the snow).

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

This needs to go in the OP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7u1q8E9Q0Q

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Braincloud posted:

Tiger Mtn? I saw we got snow that low.

The GF and I headed down to Smith Rock, OR this week with plans to do some mountain biking and climbing and nature decided it was time to dump 8” of fresh snow on the area. Took a hike today to see how the trails were and they’re a bit too icy for riding. Hopefully the sun will melt them out a bit this week but it looks like I’ll just be trail running instead. (Who am I kidding, I know I’ll take the bike out in the snow).

Raging River.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Anyone got an opinion about Polygon? Looking at their models between 2-3k. Full suspension with good components...

I give zero shits about big name brands or whatever and know how to use tools.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

We got a little snow in DC today so I took the fat bike out and brought along a thermos with hot chocolate and bourbon in it. Did like 12 miles all told- a lot of the streets were just wet and slushy, but there were some lovely pockets of nice snow to ride in as well.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Chinatown posted:

Anyone got an opinion about Polygon? Looking at their models between 2-3k. Full suspension with good components...

I’m also curious about this and all the other direct to consumer brands. Looking to get an entry level full suspension this spring and it seems like a lot of them are a good value and might be easier to actually find than bikes I could buy locally. I’ve been checking out Polygon, Marin and YT.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
If you can get any bike this spring that fits your requirements go for it.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

n8r posted:

I did this, it was a big relief

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

Chinatown posted:

I haven't rode them but I almost picked up a Siskiu T8 before they sold out last summer. They were pretty well reviewed and considering the price point you can't really do much better.

They just released some new models the other day, I have no idea if they're available yet or not but if you can find one I wouldn't hesitate.

n8r posted:

But more importantly, this.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
If I was gonna buy a bike today id look hard at commencal

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
I own a Commencal and agree with this sentiment.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
I'm very new to the sport and the only bikes I've ever owned are a Commencal dirt jumper and a Canyon Neuron but I think you can't really get an outright bad bike as long as you don't buy from Walmart or Dicks or something. Polygon seems to be a normal company that makes normal good bikes

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I didn’t realize the base model for Commencal was $2299. I had it in my head they started near $3k so I hadn’t been looking at them. I’m hoping to keep it in the low 2k range if possible. I’m starting from nothing so I don’t even know enough to be picky. I just want to make sure I know all the options I should look at or avoid.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Possibly dumb question but is there anything I should know about a pressure sprayer used on bikes (gravel and emtb specifically)? I want a pressure sprayer to help clean my parking spot and figure I’ll kill two birds with one stone, but didn’t know if there things I should look for or avoid in a pressure sprayer on a bike.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Voodoofly posted:

Possibly dumb question but is there anything I should know about a pressure sprayer used on bikes (gravel and emtb specifically)? I want a pressure sprayer to help clean my parking spot and figure I’ll kill two birds with one stone, but didn’t know if there things I should look for or avoid in a pressure sprayer on a bike.

Yeah you can shove water into bearings and ruin stuff. Best to do it from a distance or not at all.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

rockcity posted:

I didn’t realize the base model for Commencal was $2299. I had it in my head they started near $3k so I hadn’t been looking at them. I’m hoping to keep it in the low 2k range if possible. I’m starting from nothing so I don’t even know enough to be picky. I just want to make sure I know all the options I should look at or avoid.

I would avoid anything without a dropper post unless you are totally sure you never want to hit jumps or drops or steep downhills. That's my only strike against the base model Meta TR

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

feelix posted:

I would avoid anything without a dropper post unless you are totally sure you never want to hit jumps or drops or steep downhills. That's my only strike against the base model Meta TR

Oh wow, I completely missed that it doesn’t have a dropper post. I know they can be added, but that’s another thing to keep in mind since that’s kind of at the top of what I’m looking to spend ideally.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Trek and Giant stores are everywhere near me and they both make good bikes. My runabout is a simple Trek and my mountain bike is a Giant Trance. Go to the store and ask to sit on whatever they have available.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

You don't need to spend 350 on a Transfer for a dropper. I got a $75 post on Amazon for my POS frankenbike that works fine

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Nocheez posted:

Go to the store and ask to sit on whatever they have available.

I went into a Trek store a few weeks ago and for a sub 4k bike their answer was "eh...maybe we will get some available April...maybe May. We have no loving idea. Want to put down a deposit today?"

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
That's completely fair. I bought my cruiser in March (and another of the same model for my wife in April) and so we're set on bikes for a long time.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Eejit posted:

You don't need to spend 350 on a Transfer for a dropper. I got a $75 post on Amazon for my POS frankenbike that works fine
Yeah I believe this, I took my dropper apart and it's an incredibly simple device that has no right costing as much as they do

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

Voodoofly posted:

You see pro mechanics do this all the time and those pro mechanics also service or replace every bearing and seal on the bike after every race. Don't use pressure washers on a bike and be really careful even with the jet sprayer on a hose nozzle. The "shower" setting on a typical hose sprayer should be fine.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

There are bike specific washers that you can pick up as well. Muc-off makes one.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

feelix posted:

Yeah I believe this, I took my dropper apart and it's an incredibly simple device that has no right costing as much as they do

If budget is a primary concern, a dropper is better than no dropper at all. I wouldn't buy a $75 Amazon dropper for my $4500 MTB, but it makes sense for the ~$1000 cobbled together pile of odds ends I'm planning on selling this summer

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

spwrozek posted:

There are bike specific washers that you can pick up as well. Muc-off makes one.

Thanks for the replies. I probably used the wrong terminology, I was referring to like the hand pump style garden sprayer sort of thing, with little power. The Muc-off one looks like what I was envisioning so might just go with that eventually.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

feelix posted:

Why do you need a dropper post if you're hitting jumps or drops or steeps? The seat just stays down all the time if you're doing those things. And if you're going back up for another lap, you just lift the seat back up at the bottom, it's a once-a-lap change. Definitely not something you need a dropper for. Did you mean ".. if you're sure you never want to hit anything but..."?

I think droppers are only useful if you're riding undulating or cross country terrain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

rockcity posted:

Oh wow, I completely missed that it doesn’t have a dropper post. I know they can be added, but that’s another thing to keep in mind since that’s kind of at the top of what I’m looking to spend ideally.

If you're still here in FL there's no need for a dropper and you'll be plenty happy without it, especially starting out.