Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

i’m curious about the observatory plans. how big is the telescope you bought? how big do you plan on making your own? it gets very difficult to hand make telescope mirrors larger than the commercial offerings unless you have a lot of experience with telescope making and mirror grinding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

We forgot :911:

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Rytheric posted:

That sound awesome if youre willing to talk some about it message me. Im weary if the county would just override it. What I want isn't much i just want a detached showerhouse/shitter and an outdoor communal kitchen. Right now I'm fighting with the county to see if my land perks to see what kind of septic I need through a soil scientist, but I already have a shitter. Do I really need a septic for greywater? The county said they won't let me build a house on it unless I have "running water" whatever that means. Hopefully a water tower observatory will accomplish that.

Rytheric posted:

Right now I just shower at whereever I plug in for power. I rent a room at my boss's house that I've all but moved out of. After that I will shower at planet fitness until I figure out what to do with the murderhaus. I want a detached shower house, but state codes wants the shower integrated. Sounded like cubic Sucrose was going to look into that.

So an update for those playing along at home. Ry reached out to me on Discord and we discussed some details. First off, wanted to clarify that he does NOT need a mining permit. Secondly, I asked about legal representation (LJC is taking on new clients), but he's got that covered as well.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice
I love this. Document everything so I can read about it!

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Solar panels for the roofs of the truck and houses seem like a no brainer to me.

So. Im nervous about solar panels on the roof of my truck because branches love to hit everything that high. They will likely get damaged. And state code for the solar panels on the roof of the house wants them to be integrated/flush mounted or essentially the roof itself. The spirit of this code is to prevent roof fires from built up leaves. An alternative option the state allows is to have a solar array on the property so im going to have a solar gazebo which I would like to cook under if I ever cook or put them on my workshed. Im not keen on using solar panels as roofing to the main houses at this time.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

Luneshot posted:

i’m curious about the observatory plans. how big is the telescope you bought? how big do you plan on making your own? it gets very difficult to hand make telescope mirrors larger than the commercial offerings unless you have a lot of experience with telescope making and mirror grinding

So im really only interested in refractor telescopes, so no mirrors. I bought a 6inch celestron advanced XV refractor telescope. Originally I was going to build a 1ft diameter refractor telescope the was f/12 or f/10 I believe. The lens for that was going to cost $10,500 if I recall. Then I'd have to build the tubing myself. Other 1ft refractors are hella heavy historically. Now I'm thinking I want an F/7. Anything bigger than that and I need to make the lens myself.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Rytheric posted:

What is this lol?

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

D-LINK posted:

You also said that you're close to the lake, so there's also an open question about polluting that lake. I'm not sure 10 years of seepage liability would be worth waiting for the city

You're not getting much seepage issues with an outhouse. Seepage is a flowing septic tank problem whereas an outhouse is a waterless system except for the urine which should get bioremediated rather quickly.

The environmental concern with outhouses is dystera spread by flies which the code regulations of the privy addresses.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Feb 2, 2021

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Oh my goodness its perfect!

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

lol

Ogma
Jun 6, 2003

Let the festivities commence!

Rytheric posted:

So im really only interested in refractor telescopes, so no mirrors. I bought a 6inch celestron advanced XV refractor telescope. Originally I was going to build a 1ft diameter refractor telescope the was f/12 or f/10 I believe. The lens for that was going to cost $10,500 if I recall. Then I'd have to build the tubing myself. Other 1ft refractors are hella heavy historically. Now I'm thinking I want an F/7. Anything bigger than that and I need to make the lens myself.

At a 1ft lens size, you have to start thinking about temperature control. Day/night swings can crack improperly tempered glass.

Also, please don't build a fire pit in your truck. Look at a small rocket stove. They don't need a lot of biomass.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Oh yeah, I kinda assumed you were going the Dobsonian route but if you're doing refractors then that's a whole different beast. They don't really make lenses that big anymore for good reasons, and that's why they're so expensive.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Ogma posted:

At a 1ft lens size, you have to start thinking about temperature control. Day/night swings can crack improperly tempered glass.

Also, please don't build a fire pit in your truck. Look at a small rocket stove. They don't need a lot of biomass.

That my friend is what the observatory water tower is for.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Going back to the murderhaus, Ry, I don't know if I saw an explanation: what's up with the yellow house in the background? Is it yours? If so, why live in Behmy? If a neighbor's, why be so near them?

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Going back to the murderhaus, Ry, I don't know if I saw an explanation: what's up with the yellow house in the background? Is it yours? If so, why live in Behmy? If a neighbor's, why be so near them?

Part of the yellow houses living room is on the parcel, but its the neighbors. Yes it is rather close. But hopefully it works out.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Someone posted this pic in response to this thread on Twitter :discourse:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

:five:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Rytheric posted:

Part of the yellow houses living room is on the parcel, but its the neighbors. Yes it is rather close. But hopefully it works out.

Given the apparent age of murderhaus, are the walls and foundation still structurally sound? Or are you just going to raze them and build anew? If building anew, that might be a good time to relocate the house.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

orbs

https://www.learnreligions.com/what-are-angel-orbs-123854

orbs

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

lmao

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Given the apparent age of murderhaus, are the walls and foundation still structurally sound? Or are you just going to raze them and build anew? If building anew, that might be a good time to relocate the house.

I was originally going to buy the land because of the cinderblock. There is actually a whole 1000 square foot building there. Most of it has cinderblock crawlspace and strip footings though in the collapsed area. There are roughly 500 cinder blocks in total. The blocks in the non collapsed area stand on a slab foundation on top of saprolite (partially weathered rock) which are in decent shape. In contrast, I can push the crawlspace cinderblock with my feet. I was going to have a structural engineer verify if the slab was okay enough for me to just close the cinderblock wall up. But the engineer suggested I look at what was supporting the low side of the slab. Which turned out to be a cinderblock retaining wall. So nope cant use it. So now I'm going to demo it. I am going to crush some of it into parking space gravel. My friend whom i help out on the hemp farm wants the rest of it. Probably for his driveway as well.

Plus I got bit by the timber frame bug.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

PLease do not put a fire pit inside your box truck house, OP

just get a fan, it'll be fine

twoday fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 2, 2021

deveus
Oct 10, 2005

Rytheric posted:

Well instead of having a pressurized tank, the idea donned on me to make a water tower to supply water to the MurderHaus. Now my coworkers knowing that I plan to build my own helicopter one day said that I might as well turn the top of the watertower into a helipad. Well at first the idea seemed intriguing but even I know that having helicopter fuel above your water source is a bad Idea. So instead I brought back one of my idea of building my own giant telescope. It also just so happens I accidently bought a large $2000 telescope. So instead of a helipad, I'm going to turn it into observatory for the large telescope I bought until I can make a larger telescope. So this water tower will have not only a place where I can hand bail water to fill the water tower, but a staircase that leads up to my observatory.

There's so much to unpack here and I have so many questions.

Do you know how to fly a helicopter?

Do you know how to build a giant telescope? Is this something you've practiced? do you plan to start with smaller telescopes and work your way up to observatory-sized devices?

How did you accidentally purchase a large $2000 telescope?

If you've gotten rid of your helipad, where you will land the helicopter?

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

lmao

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

thread just keeps delivering :allears:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Be careful with that secret knowledge, OP. You're dealing with things beyond your comprehension.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

How can this be

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

DicktheCat posted:

Gonna be real, op is likely more interesting than the rest of us even want to be.

Fascinating.

This guy is a cooler goon in like 6 days than me in my 15 years on this internet website. Shameful.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

deveus posted:

There's so much to unpack here and I have so many questions.

Do you know how to fly a helicopter?

Do you know how to build a giant telescope? Is this something you've practiced? do you plan to start with smaller telescopes and work your way up to observatory-sized devices?

If you've gotten rid of your helipad, where you will land the helicopter?

Do I know how to fly a helicopter?
No, but I live next to an airport where I can get lessons to fly either a helicopter or cesna. There is also local aviators clubs around where a licensed pilot creates a club with member fees to pay for an aircraft under a timeshare like structure so I can get practice. Same how I learned how to sail.

Do I know how to build a giant telescope? Theoretically yes from my astonomy/physics, experience wise no. I was going to use my woodworking experience to build a wooden tube and buy the lens. I will figure it out when im at that stage. Obviously I build things.

I get questions like these from time to time. In this instance I had just restored one telescope and was going to give it away to someone for free and justify that I was going to replace it with a better one. I went to see what the price of the next size I wanted to try was, but I was half asleep and it was on sale. And I was like I should really run my finances to see if I can afford it, then I notice not only was it on sale but I could get a small loan for it. So dreary eyed me was like I got to get this before its too late.

Where will I land the helicopter?
There is an airport near by I can park it at until I have my own helipad. The helicopter is a bit in the future. I might try my hand at paramotoring first. And I will probably build a sail boat before then maybe.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Rytheric posted:

I was originally going to buy the land because of the cinderblock. There is actually a whole 1000 square foot building there. Most of it has cinderblock crawlspace and strip footings though in the collapsed area. There are roughly 500 cinder blocks in total. The blocks in the non collapsed area stand on a slab foundation on top of saprolite (partially weathered rock) which are in decent shape. In contrast, I can push the crawlspace cinderblock with my feet. I was going to have a structural engineer verify if the slab was okay enough for me to just close the cinderblock wall up. But the engineer suggested I look at what was supporting the low side of the slab. Which turned out to be a cinderblock retaining wall. So nope cant use it. So now I'm going to demo it. I am going to crush some of it into parking space gravel. My friend whom i help out on the hemp farm wants the rest of it. Probably for his driveway as well.

That's cool. Somebody here did a neat timberframe garage, it looked really sweet.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Paladinus posted:

Be careful with that secret knowledge, OP. You're dealing with things beyond your comprehension.

A sudden plot change straight out of Foucault's Pendulum

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Sorry for spoiling the ending...

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Rytheric posted:

This is actually super sound reasoning, block houses loving suck in every way imaginable, from essentially having to timberframe a house inside them to insulate properly, to falling on and crushing you in the slightest of earthquakes.you can make a small, cheap timber frames house pretty easily, and make it comfortable and nice.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

This all has to be a troll. No way someone takes out a telescope loan while living in a truck with hopes of a helipad on their .75 acres..

bootmanj
May 10, 2018

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

Rytheric posted:

Do I know how to fly a helicopter?
No, but I live next to an airport where I can get lessons to fly either a helicopter or cesna. There is also local aviators clubs around where a licensed pilot creates a club with member fees to pay for an aircraft under a timeshare like structure so I can get practice. Same how I learned how to sail.

Do I know how to build a giant telescope? Theoretically yes from my astonomy/physics, experience wise no. I was going to use my woodworking experience to build a wooden tube and buy the lens. I will figure it out when im at that stage. Obviously I build things.

I get questions like these from time to time. In this instance I had just restored one telescope and was going to give it away to someone for free and justify that I was going to replace it with a better one. I went to see what the price of the next size I wanted to try was, but I was half asleep and it was on sale. And I was like I should really run my finances to see if I can afford it, then I notice not only was it on sale but I could get a small loan for it. So dreary eyed me was like I got to get this before its too late.

Where will I land the helicopter?
There is an airport near by I can park it at until I have my own helipad. The helicopter is a bit in the future. I might try my hand at paramotoring first. And I will probably build a sail boat before then maybe.

I am curious op are you also familiar with sailing?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
It is a testament to how far this site has gone that this thread doesn't already have 100 pages.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Paladinus posted:

Holy poo poo it really is Kabbalah all the way down

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

Paladinus posted: