Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

LionYeti posted:

So after the whole Nolan Arenado fiasco, I have decided that the Rockies are officially Dead to Me till the Momforts sell, I am in the market for a new baseball team. Please sell me on yours. I like competitive teams with cool guys that make stuffy baseball writers mad. I am leaning Yankees because the 27 rings thing is so obnoxious it boomerangs all the way around to become endearing and Desus and Mero are awesome.

All of these things you have said about the Yankees are true and good and also several of the guys on the current roster are no-poo poo fun and cool and even several jaded Yankees-hating people on the internet have had to admit that.

Also you may get to see Mike Tauchman so that's some fun Rockies continuity, right?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

LionYeti posted:

So after the whole Nolan Arenado fiasco, I have decided that the Rockies are officially Dead to Me till the Momforts sell, I am in the market for a new baseball team. Please sell me on yours. I like competitive teams with cool guys that make stuffy baseball writers mad. I am leaning Yankees because the 27 rings thing is so obnoxious it boomerangs all the way around to become endearing and Desus and Mero are awesome.

the Mets are one of the approximately 4 teams who are actually trying to win this year

we have arguably the best pitcher in the game, arguably the best shortstop in the game, and a whole bunch of cool young guys who are good, and cool, and young

and even though our owner is a hedgefund dickhead he's still probably in the top half of MLB owners

we don't have any former Rockies though unless I'm missing them

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

bawfuls posted:

It is especially dogshit that he's been hired at Fangraphs, when Meg Rowley has had repeated and lengthy discussions on the podcast she co-hosts regarding the importance of diversity in baseball, not giving the same old white guys endless second chances, and the simple things organizations should do to avoid the appearance of impropriety.

In that context Rowley looks extremely hypocritical right now.

While I'm sure she has some influence over writer hiring decisions, I assume it's Appelman making the calls.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

elentar posted:

I can't in all honesty recommend the Braves because of all the racist baggage but they are a competitive team with lots of cool young talent, some of which (Ronald Acuña) regularly makes stuffy columnist types indignantly beshit themselves.

Yeah Braves were on the list but the white flight stadium combined with the tomahawk chop is a bridge too far Ronald Acuna rules though.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Banning the shift would be like when zone defense was illegal in the NBA.

Everyone knows Jordan's going to the basket/ Brandon Belt is hitting a liner between first and second, but you can't put a defender there, because reasons.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Rooting for the Yankees to own the Rockies

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

For the love of God do not get sick of your franchise being dysfunctional and decide to take up being a Met fan as a means of fixing that.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
If you're looking for a team that will never win poo poo, like the Rockies, but also would never trade away their best player let alone pay a team 50 million dollars to take him, unlike the Rockies, then the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim are right there just waiting for you.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

RCarr posted:

For the love of God do not get sick of your franchise being dysfunctional and decide to take up being a Met fan as a means of fixing that.

No, that's exactly what they should do. C'mon in! The water's fine - just stay away from the Mets medical staff.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Isn't this kind of a conflict of interest? Can MLB execs own a stake in MLB teams?

https://twitter.com/Anthony/status/1356215092438839297

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sydin posted:

Isn't this kind of a conflict of interest? Can MLB execs own a stake in MLB teams?

Oh god that’s horrible

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

just another in a long line of tacit admissions that the commissioner's office is little more than an extension of owners

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

bawfuls posted:

just another in a long line of tacit admissions that the commissioner's office is little more than an extension of owners

that's....exactly what all pro sports league commissioners are, by legal definition

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The MLB commissioner position was originally created to keep owners from destroying the league with their in-fighting, to act as an impartial advocate for the sport itself. It evolved over time to be a representative of the owners, but that was not the original intent and they still try to pretend Manfred isn’t simply the owner’s guy.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/OzzieGuillen/status/1356392577164054529?s=20

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I don't approve of the expanded playoffs because it means the Angels will have to throw even more games in order to stay out of them

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

LionYeti posted:

Why not the Cardinals since Arenado is going there anyway? Best thing is since I assume you dont live in Missouri you can still poo poo on those that do even if they are Cardinals fans! You get the joys of rooting for a good team, and the benefit of distancing yourself and making GBS threads on the majority of the fanbase because you arent from that garbage hell state.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 2, 2021

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

I think cheating should be like it is in wrestling, and if the ump catches a team cheating the manager comes out to distract him and the team cheats even harder

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://mobile.twitter.com/KatieJStrang/status/1356412975050084354

The Mets!

Not sure how Alderson is allowed to run them after this but

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Fire him Arte

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Details on the Alex Cobb trade. The prospect the Angels are sending doesn't seem that great but then, neither is Alex Cobb.

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1356311223156043779

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

The Pussy Boss posted:

Details on the Alex Cobb trade. The prospect the Angels are sending doesn't seem that great but then, neither is Alex Cobb.

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1356311223156043779

Yeah Jones is kind of whatever. He was drafted forever ago and hasn't really made any strides towards making the roster.

My expectations for Alex Cobb aren't exactly high but the Angels do have a good IF behind him even with the loss of Simmons and getting Dylan Bundy away from Baltimore seems to have worked out. As is the case with any pitcher the Angels acquire, all he really needs to do is eat innings.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

https://twitter.com/rockiesVSconnor/status/1356433224642269185

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
For what it’s worth cardinals beat writers seemed to think Gomber was going to be competing in spring training for the 5th spot. For what it’s worth I seem to think they’ll give it to known disease riddled incompetent Carlos Martinez.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

I have literally never heard of Gil, Locey or Sommers.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Players rejected the 154-game schedule :toot:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1356445608089972737?s=19

Literally free year of Arenado

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

https://twitter.com/suss2hyphens/status/1356452463616946177

and hell, i like it

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
What a joke

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Lol

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/J_McPherson1126/status/1356448137020399616

So barring any further negotiation the season will start on time for a full 162 games, and we revert back to 2019 rules. No universal DH, no runner on second in extras, no seven-inning double headers, no expanded playoffs.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/J_McPherson1126/status/1356448137020399616

So barring any further negotiation the season will start on time for a full 162 games, and we revert back to 2019 rules. No universal DH, no runner on second in extras, no seven-inning double headers, no expanded playoffs.

You can just feel the desperation through that press release. I think it goes a long way towards strangling the golden goose, but realistically what would (Or could) the owners deal for agreeing to the expanded playoffs aka the aforementioned free money and downward salary pressure?

Salary floor? Would they have to give up the CBT? I’d also like to see the numbers they’re working with that says the expanded playoffs are popular.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The players told the owners to go gently caress themselves with the 154 game season. There is almost definitely not going to be a 2022 season. The well is completely poisoned.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

If you need a team on the side, I suggest the Mariners. They won't win poo poo but at least they're fun and make silly hype commercials.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

LionYeti posted:

You can probably catch a direct flight to Minneapolis. The Twins have a really talented organization right now thT combines some of the previous front office's knack for prospect talent evaluation with new school roster building. I think (or hope) they have some good years ahead of them. I kind of feel like they coild be like the A's with a little more payroll flexibility in that they might have to retool every once in a while but they'll never be truly out of it.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Salary floor? Would they have to give up the CBT? I’d also like to see the numbers they’re working with that says the expanded playoffs are popular.

Probably total viewer numbers lol

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

"Hold my beer!"
Jeff Birdich

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

General Dog posted:

The sensible compromise for extra innings, if eliminating marathon games and avoiding ties are both of critical importance for some reason, would be to play innings 10,11,12 the normal way and then implement the runners in the 13th.

This 100%. It's a great compromise and iirc the majority of extra inning games end before 12/13 anyway.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I’ve found it, the most beautiful encapsulation of American sports fandom and political illiteracy in one tweet

https://twitter.com/peterjo93477435/status/1356638277848064001?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
incredibly disappointed in peterjo93477435 right now