Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the coolest, raddest demon lady in all the land?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 62 17.22%
Bowsette 40 11.11%
Bowsette 44 12.22%
Bowsette 39 10.83%
Bowsette 47 13.06%
128 35.56%
Total: 195 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

lol Judgment is coming to PC

..as a Stadia exclusive

(it's not on the level of the main Yakuza series anyway, kind of plodding)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Spermando posted:

The only Persona I've played is 5, but just the fact that buffs only last 3 turns and don't stack already changes the flow of the battles significantly. You can risk going underleveled into a fight in SMT if you have the right buffs.
Also, a lot of the Persona-exclusive additions to the combat system seem to be specifically designed to remove strategic decisions and risk-taking.

I was thinking about the differences in the combat systems and forgot one thing: the risk of losing turns in SMT, which doesn't happen in Persona. The closest comparison in Persona is when you used to risk falling down if you whiffed an attack, but that's gone as of 5. It's a pretty meaningful difference that you can straight-up lose an extra turn if you gently caress up in a Press Turn game, yeah.

I think some of this is selling Persona 5's combat short--like I've said before, I think the style and flow of combat is more than just superficial shine, and I think Baton Pass is a really engaging system (that I wish could be more present in boss battles). But yeah, buffs and debuffs being binary combined with the lack of a "lose an extra turn if you gently caress up" thing does mitigate risk. I think that's why I like Persona 5's combat best when it's "rocket tag," where you need to execute just the right string of turns or risk getting hosed up bad in return. That's unfortunately fairly rare no matter what difficulty you're on, though.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Looper posted:

the ship combat in skies of arcadia is pretty neat, though it's mostly used for boss fights. you get a vague forecast of the enemy's plan each round and plan all your actions in advance, and your crew asks for specific input at key points to leverage into an advantage (or disadvantage if you choose poorly). the regular combat system isn't anything special but i like how everyone shares the same pool of special move points (smrpg and the paper marios also do this and i like it there too). but lol no worries! no game is for everyone

That does sound good but I'm not sure I could wade through the normal random battle grind to get to it.

Maybe some day.

And yet, for all of my moaning about standard turn based systems I could happily replay my favorite Final Fantasies (4, 6 and 10) a dozen times over without cringing. Especially the SNES ones since they preclude all the extra padding that the 3D versions feel compelled to include.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

We were talking about backlogs at the end of last month, here is my progress tracker for the year:

Finished
Hades (saw credits December 2020, epilogue/wrapup January 2021)
Cyberpunk 2077
13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim (current frontrunner for Old Game of the Year 2021)

In Progress
Paper Mario: The Origami King
Yakuza 7
Spelunky 2
Sakura Wars

In the Queue
Atelier Ryza 2
Persona 5 Strikers

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Walla posted:

And yet, for all of my moaning about standard turn based systems I could happily replay my favorite Final Fantasies (4, 6 and 10) a dozen times over without cringing. Especially the SNES ones since they preclude all the extra padding that the 3D versions feel compelled to include.
Replaying old games like that is like comfort food. One would not say that it is good for you, but it makes you feel better.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

CottonWolf posted:

I've just applied for a job where I might have to teach intro stats to undergrads, but I didn't think about noting down distributions for examples as I come across them. Good idea!

good luck! DM me if you want to chat about it before or after you get the job, I've been teaching intro stats for a couple years now

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I would really enjoy if future Persona titles (if they keep the current battle system) lock your party composition more during specific stretches. I get that goes against the appeal of choosing which party members to grow closer to and roll with, but I think it would make a lot of battles far more memorable than they have been. Like the only early game battles and mini bosses I remember from the modern titles are from Persona 3's early game, where having Yukari and Junpei's elemental weaknesses forced on you made their presence in your party actively detrimental. While that was a little frustrating, I enjoy the little meta-narrative and tactical variance that added to those encounters.

I dislike how risk averse and thoughtless One More is too, but aesthetically I thought Persona 5 had it fit the whole phantom thief shtick pretty well. Ideally, you're ambushing enemies, and running train ASAP is exactly what you'd want to be doing if you're sneaking around not wanting to rouse attention.

On another note, I really enjoyed the Hex system in Wild Arms 5. Debuffing or affecting portions of the battlefield instead of specific entities was novel, and made me think more not biting myself in the rear end, which I appreciated. I also enjoyed having to aim and space the party's skills around every encounter's predetermined grid layout. I think that's a really good step towards giving specific battles their own identity, and I would love to see a more evolved version of that system (with maybe some more radical grid layouts) in a future RPG.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Blue Labrador posted:

Like the only early game battles and mini bosses I remember from the modern titles are from Persona 3's early game, where having Yukari and Junpei's elemental weaknesses forced on you made their presence in your party actively detrimental. While that was a little frustrating, I enjoy the little meta-narrative and tactical variance that added to those encounters.
This kind of thing ruins games for me and I can't imagine a game that I think would be improved by it. "Nuh-uh, you need to suck for this stretch because we say so" just is not good game design.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I constantly rotate party members in and out in RPGs, it seems like most people/gamers just find their faves and stick with them, maybe even rush to their “endgame party”, not me though

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The whole point of having more playable characters than party slots is to bench the losers

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
persona with xcom permadeath

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
just have bigger active parties or involve the bench somehow

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Using buffs, debuffs, and specific types of attacks in shadow hearts covenant & from the new world in order to knock enemies into the air/knock them to the ground and combo and double combo them and end with a massive buffed attack from your max level fire fusion was rad as hell, working to earn all of these fun tools to just absolutely wreck enemies and bosses is a grand time.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

“let’s all head to the restaurant, we’ll split up into two groups of three, because, video game”

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

FF7 with the "We're all going to the same place but monsters will attack us if we stick together so we'll be elsewhere but you can call us on the cell to switch up"

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

And then monsters attack you every twelve steps anyway and you just wonder why you even bothered.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

This kind of thing ruins games for me and I can't imagine a game that I think would be improved by it. "Nuh-uh, you need to suck for this stretch because we say so" just is not good game design.

Yeah, that kind of design would absolutely be a little antagonistic, so I understand why people aren't looking for that and why Atlus wouldn't implement that into their blockbuster franchise, but I wouldn't call it bad. I think those kinds of circumstances can help sell an atmosphere or narrative without necessitating cutscenes or dialogue, and I think that's cool.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

:getin:

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

cool frog

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I like how ff4 always had a party of 5 and the difficulty was designed around who you would have access to the time. Skies of Arcadia did the same thing.

Similarly I liked how ff9 had some later dungeons where you did the whole "party splits up" thing but with some twists like having a dungeon where your magic is disabled so don't send your magic casters there except if you send only your physical fighters there then you won't have your physical fighters available for this other place your magic casters have to go to or the dungeon where the weaker your equipment stats get flipped so weak equipment is better than strong equipment and you might find yourself temporarily switching in party members whose equipment you haven't been keeping properly upgraded.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Blue Labrador posted:

Yeah, that kind of design would absolutely be a little antagonistic, so I understand why people aren't looking for that and why Atlus wouldn't implement that into their blockbuster franchise, but I wouldn't call it bad. I think those kinds of circumstances can help sell an atmosphere or narrative without necessitating cutscenes or dialogue, and I think that's cool.
A lot of classic JRPGs had plot-mandated switches between parties and characters, so I'm sure a lot of people would agree with you there. I just happen to be one of those people who completely hate it. Every single time something like that happens, it feels to me like the game is ripping the controller out of my hands to make me do things its way when I'd rather be doing something else at that moment. If I wanted to have that kind of experience, I'd read a book or watch a movie instead.

I understand that this is in its own way a minority opinion, though - I strongly believe that every medium has its own strengths and that video games as a whole would be better off for it if they stopped trying to also be everything else in addition to just being games. I'm one of those people who don't mind games not being as cinematic and visually bombastic as movies or not having the same depth of writing as books do, because those aren't what I'm looking for in a game in the first place.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I want unlimited party size. Like a Pokemon game where I can just pull from my PC Boxes at any point. Or better yet, let me use as many as I want at one time. I'm talking full blown hundreds of pokemon at once, all answering to one command prompt at the same time.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Khanstant posted:

I want unlimited party size. Like a Pokemon game where I can just pull from my PC Boxes at any point. Or better yet, let me use as many as I want at one time. I'm talking full blown hundreds of pokemon at once, all answering to one command prompt at the same time.

The All the Bravest fan has logged on

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

I constantly rotate party members in and out in RPGs, it seems like most people/gamers just find their faves and stick with them, maybe even rush to their “endgame party”, not me though

i do this if inactive members still get full exp. otherwise they can stay benched, it's too tedious keeping everyone up to speed

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
one thing i do legit dislike about legends 2 is that you can't really experiment with special weapons in ruins that much because you feel obligated to take the drill arm just in case there's hidden treasure behind breakable walls. in legends 1 you don't get the drill arm until near the end of the game and the interconnectivity of the dungeons makes going back through them in one or two expeditions feel pretty good

at least it cheeses a couple of bosses

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I should probably ask this in the RPG thread but since we're doing JRPG talk, what are some of the best JRPGs of the last few years that you think someone might've missed?

I'm playing P5 Royal right now and having a blast with it, but also my girlfriend likes watching that game so I only play it when she's down for some spectating so she doesn't miss story/confidant stuff. But I'm in a big JRPG mood and so I'm looking for something to play when I'm playing games on my own. I tried to replay P4G but as I brought up earlier the combat is so much clunkier compared to P5 that it's sort of hard to play them concurrently without P4's gameplay really suffering in comparison.

So: any recommendations?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
i'm looking forward to some finite discoveries

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Call of Duty, I'd say

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Is there a procedurally generated Roguelike turn-based-menu-combat jRPG yet?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Khanstant posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/527230/For_The_King/

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Siralim has procedurally generated levels, although it's not really a roguelike in any other sense.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i keep not playing games tonight because i feel l ike i ""should"" be playing something else

wtf does that even mean, brain

dreamless
Dec 18, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

The All the Bravest fan has logged on

I can't say it was very good as a game but it was definitely worth installing to see all your little guys hopping around.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

i keep not playing games tonight because i feel l ike i ""should"" be playing something else

wtf does that even mean, brain

I don't know but I am very familiar with the feeling

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

So I'll say that with regards to SMT depth, let's flip the scenario and look at a different game - DQ11 and the fight that made me quit, the desert scorpion boss. I tried the fight like ten times and couldn't get the boss into red health, so I wasn't within striking distance of a win - he was just dealing too much damage for me to keep up with, and once a party member dies it's pretty much over. I look at the skill grid and think, no I've got the best build I could be using. Check my weapons, no, I've got the best weapons I've got access to right now. Same with armor. Basically, all that left me with was grinding levels to get high enough stats to win the fight. After consulting the DQ11 hard mode speedrun, yes, I was below the level they fight it at. Instead of grind, I just quit the game.

On the flipside I cannot remember the last time in an SMT game I said to myself "the problem with this fight is my stats are too low and the solution to winning is more stats"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

For the record that is possibly my least favorite boss in all of Dragon Quest XI, it was just so frustrating to fight and I hated it.

I didn't play on hard mode but I might've quit there too if I did.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Khanstant posted:

ff5 ancient cave has existed for Years

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
reminds me of the sinking horror i felt at realizing the dhoulmagus fight wasn't meant to be unwinnable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Harrow posted:

I should probably ask this in the RPG thread but since we're doing JRPG talk, what are some of the best JRPGs of the last few years that you think someone might've missed?

I'm playing P5 Royal right now and having a blast with it, but also my girlfriend likes watching that game so I only play it when she's down for some spectating so she doesn't miss story/confidant stuff. But I'm in a big JRPG mood and so I'm looking for something to play when I'm playing games on my own. I tried to replay P4G but as I brought up earlier the combat is so much clunkier compared to P5 that it's sort of hard to play them concurrently without P4's gameplay really suffering in comparison.

So: any recommendations?

Trails in the sky/cold steel
Tales of the abyss on 3ds, tales of hearts r on vita.
Monster hunter stories
Bravely default, second.
World ends with you for something not turn based.

Feel like these are the better jrpgs I've played that aren't named final fantasy or persona.