Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

BubbaGrace posted:

This guy is a cooler goon in like 6 days than me in my 15 years on this internet website. Shameful.

21 years on this site and I have never come close to a thread like this. Either a bullet dodged or internet fame avoided. Hmm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

King of False Promises posted:

21 years on this site and I have never come close to a thread like this. Either a bullet dodged or internet fame avoided. Hmm.

you havent died in a truck fire, fair trade

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

bootmanj posted:

I am curious op are you also familiar with sailing?

Lol. Yes. So interesting story with that. So i had been getting my toes wet sailing for a while in my flat back canoe (the Seacat) then decided to go on a dating binge one year that started with me saving money to buying a plane ticket to visit a woman in Australia 🇦🇺 who broke up with me because its all fun and games til someone buys a plane ticket, had an interim with a Welsh lady in China 🇨🇳 that I was saving to arrange a vacation for in Hawaii who left me because I wasn't emotional enough, and it ended with me saving up to move in and marry a girl in Wisconsin 🇺🇸 who decided that I was a liar cause she couldnt understand my job and that I wasn't marrying her fast enough. After the emotional toll of dating 11 people that year, I said eff it, took all the money I saved up for these women, rented a captain and a sailboat and cruised around in the Atlantic for a week to get my ASA 104 certification on top of the small time sailing I did up to that point. My next sailing cert is in the British Virginia islands. My final cert i have to sail from Pennsylvania to the British Virgin islands.

I love sailing and wish more people had the opportunity to experience it. I have the idea in my head to build a Portuguese Carack to retire on. I had in the works to start a skin on frame sailboat manufacturing company at one point that I was going to morph into an electric sailboat manufacturing company as I made progress in building my carack. (Start small and work your way up) but I decided to focus on paying off my debts and saving up for land instead. Still it may be in my future if I live that long.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Why are you doing this?

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

Artificer posted:

Why are you doing this?

I'm afraid you're going to have to be more specific.

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

taqueso posted:

you havent died in a truck fire, fair trade

true enough

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Rytheric posted:

I'm afraid you're going to have to be more specific.

What made you decide to buy and renovate this property? And make a house truck in the process?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
OP, have you ever considered building a boat made entirely of small stones? Stones are pretty sturdy AND fire-resistant. The perfect material for a boat, when you think about it.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Paladinus posted:

OP, have you ever considered building a boat made entirely of small stones? Stones are pretty sturdy AND fire-resistant. The perfect material for a boat, when you think about it.

Have you heard of concrete canoes?

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

This is some kind of elaborate bit, but it’s fun

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

Goldmine.

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

:five:

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Rytheric posted:

Part of the yellow houses living room is on the parcel, but its the neighbors. Yes it is rather close. But hopefully it works out.

Please tell me you haven't laid out all of your plans to the neighbor already so you can record yourself walking them through it.

I have this image in my head of them asking who the gently caress Grover is that I want to be a reality so badly.

Rytheric posted:

Do I know how to fly a helicopter?
No

This is peak comedy, thank you.

two_step
Sep 2, 2011

Rytheric posted:

Do I know how to build a giant telescope? Theoretically yes from my astonomy/physics, experience wise no. I was going to use my woodworking experience to build a wooden tube and buy the lens. I will figure it out when im at that stage. Obviously I build things.

I would like to know more about your wooden telescope. You do know there is a reason they make them out of metal, right? What happens when termites eat your telescope?

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Artificer posted:

What made you decide to buy and renovate this property? And make a house truck in the process?

I could have sworn i started with my reasoning somewhere. So here we go. The reasoning:

So for starters a long origins story. I'm a military brat which means I've moved around a lot since I was young. Im 32 and I've moved roughly 27 times soon to be 28 times. I've lived on my own for over a decade until recently. During that time I was somewhat homeless three times. Once because I was working too much an hour away from campus (pizza delivery boy, Kmart supervisor, and small town theater actor), so I figured I'd get more shut eye if I just lived in my firebird at the time. The second time I fell in love with a drug addict and decided to move into a drug den so she could be closer to her drugs. She took off to rehab after I signed the dotted line for the apartment. Shortly after I started living there, the pizza joint burned down due to the washer and dryer running over night. Then there was a feud between the drug lord who lived above me and a rival drug lord over who was to make the meth in town which resulted in one burning down the entire apartment complex that housed me and the drug lords dealers. After that Kmart was Kmart and closed down so I was homeless and jobless for a bit and I had to drop out of school. Ended up renting an apartment with a credit card while I got another job as a Kmart supervisor and a bouncer at a bar. Fast forward. I have to quit my jobs and move back to my college town and resume my studies to avoid paying my student loans I couldn't afford. It was graduate or nothing. I got a job on campus and as a security guard an hour away in another state. Well one of my final courses was out in Colorado. Student loans would not pay for it and I'd have to quit my jobs to do it. So I did. Came back all my vehicles were broke down and I had no insurance cause I was broke. So I moved out of the apartment into my broke down pick up which had a camper top and finished my last semester. Luckily I got a couple jobs on campus to fix up one of the vehicles and start delivering again after college.

Anyway I say all that to say, that from my experience I've never had a place to call home so I've given up on the notion. Prior to that and after that I've provided a home for the down trodden, but I was stuck in the rent game and was getting no where in life and getting super depressed. So my boss suggested I rent a room from him to pay off the debt that was smothering me til I could get on my feet again.

This was great, but everytime i seen someone downtrodden i couldn't provide them shelter like I use to and I didn't get to live on my terms. I assauged some of that guilt of not being able to help by paying peoples electric bills and such but I still felt limited. So I decided that In order to get out of that I could give up on the idea of owning a home and follow in my grand fathers footsteps and start fixing and flipping houses for people to rent to own (he did it for church members) or build tiny house farms for the down trodden to live in if they paid me in a crop share.

The box truck was originally to serve the purpose of a temporary shelter to live in while I fix up rent to own houses. A fellow flipper I met during my bouncing days would get cheap houses at tax auctions and the first thing he did was fix the shitter and live in the houses til he fixed them up enough to sell.

Since I stopped living pay check to paycheck ive been putting 10k away in savings each year to either buy land or a rental to flip. Then I stumbled on the land of MurderHaus and had to buy it because it was right next to my sail boat and close to my job.

Anyway thats my origin story and my motivation.

bootmanj
May 10, 2018

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

two_step posted:

I would like to know more about your wooden telescope. You do know there is a reason they make them out of metal, right? What happens when termites eat your telescope?

Actually a lot of the larger telescopes have large portions made of folding metal tubing and canvas to save weight.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

JT Jag posted:

It is a testament to how far this site has gone that this thread doesn't already have 100 pages.

I think the pace is actually pretty good. It allows me to answer questions and clarify things. I hope the answers don't kill the mystery for people though.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 2, 2021

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Wood is not uncommon in amateur telescope making. Using it in a refractor build will likely require a little more care (making sure the optical tube is sealed well enough to avoid dewing on interior surfaces of the lenses) but it’s not unheard of.

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

Rytheric posted:

I think the pass is actually pretty good. It allows me to answer questions and clarify things. I hope the answers don't kill the mystery for people though.

Honestly, they're adding to it for me

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Don't call this the Grover Truck, own your own creations.

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
hey ry guy, i'm excited to see how everything shapes up. i'm assuming once you fix things up, the neighbors in the yellow house will appreciate you making things look nice. do you have more pictures of the inside of the murderhaus? i'd interested in seeing what condition it's in. also, i'm thinking about all the bamboo. could you do so rain water collection? then make some natural piping with the bamboo, maybe to supply a temporary outdoor shower? just spitballing some ideas

Archismo
Nov 13, 2019

Reiley posted:

dw it's murdertruck now.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

bootmanj posted:

Actually a lot of the larger telescopes have large portions made of folding metal tubing and canvas to save weight.

but what happens when the termites eat the canvas

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

Could call it the FireTruk

bootmanj
May 10, 2018

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

IrvingWashington posted:

but what happens when the termites eat the canvas

light contamination

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

AOC.

Armored Orb Carrier.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

hahahaha

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Reiley posted:

Its real life name is Behmy. Short for Behemoth.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
In my heart, it'll surpass GroverTruk and become BehmyTruk

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Rytheric posted:

Lol. Yes. So interesting story with that. So i had been getting my toes wet sailing for a while in my flat back canoe (the Seacat) then decided to go on a dating binge one year that started with me saving money to buying a plane ticket to visit a woman in Australia 🇦🇺 who broke up with me because its all fun and games til someone buys a plane ticket, had an interim with a Welsh lady in China 🇨🇳 that I was saving to arrange a vacation for in Hawaii who left me because I wasn't emotional enough, and it ended with me saving up to move in and marry a girl in Wisconsin 🇺🇸 who decided that I was a liar cause she couldnt understand my job and that I wasn't marrying her fast enough. After the emotional toll of dating 11 people that year,

:catstare:

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

BubbaGrace posted:

This guy is a cooler goon in like 6 days than me in my 15 years on this internet website. Shameful.

the best part is hes a goon because he was getting scammed by goons in a toilet game and was just too cool to not befriend

AdmiralViscen posted:

This is some kind of elaborate bit, but it’s fun

its not

esto es malo fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Feb 2, 2021

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

:five:

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
OP please be careful with battery banks they not only need to be kept in a fire proof enclosure but you need to ventilate them when they are charging.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Spookydonut posted:

OP please be careful with battery banks they not only need to be kept in a fire proof enclosure but you need to ventilate them when they are charging.

This, please. Lead acid batteries produce hydrogen sulfide gas when they're overcharged, which is initially pretty stinky (it smells like rotten eggs) but your nose very quickly desensitizes to it. If your wiring isn't right and your batteries start leaking gas while you're asleep, you could just straight-up die. Unlike carbon monoxide, there aren't any cheap consumer-grade detectors that will start screaming at you once levels get dangerous.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

In all my years of gooning, I've never come across this. He's either nuts, a liar, or... genuinely wants people to have a place to stay??? That can't be so, are people still allowed to be delightfully strange and kindhearted?

Op is lucid, at least. I hope this isn't a mania or :catdrugs:. :ohdear:

Be well, op. This goon must sleep. Don't do the fire thing, but do stay safe and warm. :3:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So what does <1 acre of land presumably in Middle of Nowhere, Coastal NC cost anyway, with presumably no plumbing, access to a water main or cistern, or electrical grid and with lawsuit-waiting-to-happen peculiarities like the parcel overlapping with your neighbor's living room?

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Lol

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

DicktheCat posted:

are people still allowed to be delightfully strange and kindhearted?

:pray:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Drone posted:

So what does <1 acre of land presumably in Middle of Nowhere, Coastal NC cost anyway, with presumably no plumbing, access to a water main or cistern, or electrical grid and with lawsuit-waiting-to-happen peculiarities like the parcel overlapping with your neighbor's living room?

$10,000 which albeit a bit expensive for my tastes im use to an acre being $2000-$3000.

It has power near by.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Feb 2, 2021