Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I just threw on the Killzone 3 demo on PS3 out of interest, it still looks absolutely incredible for a game on that system. I wonder how much (if any) of the snow and fabric stuff went in to Horizon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

killzone 2 and 3 are among the greatest games ever made purely for their awesome multiplayer. kz2 objectively looks better despite it's more drab color palette.

digital foundry has a great retrospective on kz2, the infamous pre-rendered gameplay trailer, and a bunch of other cool details about the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC-hiXr69kY

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah I’ve watched that video a ton, it’s great. I ordered KZ2 for like €4 on eBay there today. I made it a whole month into my “no games resolution”

:banjo:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah I’ve watched that video a ton, it’s great. I ordered KZ2 for like €4 on eBay there today. I made it a whole month into my “no games resolution”

how old's your ps3?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Rinkles posted:

how old's your ps3?

My launch 80G (with backwards compatibility :smug:) is still alive and kicking.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Mine's kicking. The bucket.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I bought Bloodborne a year or two ago, got up to Vicar Amelia and got stuck, and eventually moved on to other games. Today I booted it back up, ran around Old Yharnam a bit to remember the controls, then beat her into the ground first try :clint:

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Toebone posted:

I bought Bloodborne a year or two ago, got up to Vicar Amelia and got stuck, and eventually moved on to other games. Today I booted it back up, ran around Old Yharnam a bit to remember the controls, then beat her into the ground first try :clint:

as much as bloodborne pissed me off in the beginning (and middle, and toward the end) amelia was surprisingly one of the bosses i beat on my first try. i don't even remember noticing whether she was healing or not i was too hopped up on adrenaline.

blood starved beast will forever be the most memorable boss for me in terms of how insanely hard it was and how much it caused me to bang my head against the wall

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Hilarious and rarely-known fact: it's not called the blood-starved beast for nothing. It you throw a pungent blood cocktail, it will drop anything it's doing to chase after the thing and lick at it.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

also hilarious and rarely known fact: blood starved beast can be defeated by strafing left and doing nothing else

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

rabidsquid posted:

also hilarious and rarely known fact: blood starved beast can be defeated by strafing left and doing nothing else
Except hitting it, to be clear

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
They can't all be the Dragonrider, I guess.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the bloodstarved beast is very scary, it yells at you in a stressful way. then you learn that it can be defeated in a very not stressful way.

i know theres lots of pithy git gud comments but this one is real. you really can just strafe left and beat BSB without getting hit. and yes you need to attack. although it would be funny if there was a boss that just died from being annoyed.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

There is, although it's not in Bloodborne. You can absolutely bait the Dragonrider into killing himself by dropping off the edge of the arena you fight him in. It's not even a glitch like it is when you do that to Ceaseless Discharge.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i wish that tricking gyoubu into riding off the cliff was a canon intended thing in sekiro

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Cardiovorax posted:

There is, although it's not in Bloodborne. You can absolutely bait the Dragonrider into killing himself by dropping off the edge of the arena you fight him in. It's not even a glitch like it is when you do that to Ceaseless Discharge.
Thats the wrong way round, Dragonrider isn't intended to fall off it's just bad pathing because it only happens if you don't raise the circles around the arena, which people are unlikely to not do because it also makes it really easy to get knocked off yourself.

The Ceaseless Discharge thing isn't a glitch, it has a unique animation of him stumbling and holding on then falling to his death.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I didn't say he was intended to fall off, just that he easily can. It took a bit of maneuvering the last time I played the game, so I'm assuming the navmesh for the area isn't completely unable to handle that, just mostly.

I would've sworn that Discharge was a glitch, though. It just seemed like such a weird thing to happen. Learn something new every day.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Cardiovorax posted:

I would've sworn that Discharge was a glitch, though. It just seemed like such a weird thing to happen. Learn something new every day.
I found out by making a YouTube video of it happening and now every so often I get comments from people either saying "still works in 2021" or "it doesn't work anymore" and then some very patient people explain that it's not a glitch it's just part of the game!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Finished Ghostrunner. Awesome game. I guess I unlocked a hard mode now lol. That was one of the harder games I have played on normal.

Overall my only major complaints are that 1. Only saving between levels absolutely sucks. Felt like I was forced to play longer than I wanted to a few times just so I didn't lose a bunch of progress. Also, I am usually the type of person to complain about games these days being too automated, but I think GR could benefit from some more automation. The controls and platforming are extremely tight but there are just some areas where you have to worry more about aiming than you should have to. Most notably the grapple points and rails.

Other than that it was super addictive and fun. Probably would have made its way into my top games list for last year if I had played it earlier. Looking forward to just casually replaying stuff without the pressure of finishing the game. I feel like I could style on some areas I died a ton of times on now.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Akuma posted:

I found out by making a YouTube video of it happening and now every so often I get comments from people either saying "still works in 2021" or "it doesn't work anymore" and then some very patient people explain that it's not a glitch it's just part of the game!
Ten years and I still learn new things about that game, it's really amazing.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
it's a cool animation, you just can't see it because of the level design for some reason

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZphoCEZj82o

like, did you know that ceaseless discharge has a butt? he has a butt!!!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Wow, yeah, that's actually really impressive. From that perspective, it's really obvious that they clearly put a lot of effort into making that an optional special kill, but you can barely tell that any of this happening while you're playing.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

it's a cool animation, you just can't see it because of the level design for some reason

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZphoCEZj82o

like, did you know that ceaseless discharge has a butt? he has a butt!!!

Oh my god I've been looking for something like this exact video for years but I could never seem to find search terms that would get it. I knew someone out there would have to have made it. Thank you!!!!

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

ShoogaSlim posted:

killzone 2 and 3 are among the greatest games ever made purely for their awesome multiplayer. kz2 objectively looks better despite it's more drab color palette.

digital foundry has a great retrospective on kz2, the infamous pre-rendered gameplay trailer, and a bunch of other cool details about the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC-hiXr69kY

Wow, I didn't know (previous incarnations of) Guerilla Games made Jazz Jackrabbit.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Akuma posted:

Thats the wrong way round, Dragonrider isn't intended to fall off it's just bad pathing because it only happens if you don't raise the circles around the arena, which people are unlikely to not do because it also makes it really easy to get knocked off yourself.

The Ceaseless Discharge thing isn't a glitch, it has a unique animation of him stumbling and holding on then falling to his death.

This reminds me of how I beat oceiros, he got caught in some of the terrain and i was able to stab his pasty rear end.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Cardiovorax posted:

Hilarious and rarely-known fact: it's not called the blood-starved beast for nothing. It you throw a pungent blood cocktail, it will drop anything it's doing to chase after the thing and lick at it.

yeah i love how the game is giving you information in a pretty obvious way that doesn't seem obvious at all

rabidsquid posted:

i felt verrrry :kickinrad: when i encountered BSB again in the chalice dungeons and was like oh hell naw at first but had so many hours of BB under my belt at that point that i figured out how to breeze past it and laughed/cried at my former miserable self

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

February PS+ games are all up early!

Control PS4/PS5: https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP4040-PPSA01949_00-CONTROLUEPS50000

Destruction AllStars: https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP9000-PPSA02712_00-DALLSTARSPLUS001

Concrete Genie: https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP9000-CUSA11834_00-CONCRETEGENIE000

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Cheap ebay games dont count, trust me. As i too have a limit on games spending this year and ebay just... doesnt count!

I dont make the rules :shrug:

Also uhh if it has "resident evil" and "mario" and "zelda" and "yakuza" in the title.

Also if its a big sale.

Also surprise releases.

Also just everything.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Feb 2, 2021

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

rabidsquid posted:

although it would be funny if there was a boss that just died from being annoyed.

There used to be. Later in the game where you find Eileen the crow resting on the steps outside the building you fought Amelia in? There's a hunter boss in there (or depending on earlier decisions you might fight Eileen instead, either ways it's optional) and the weapon he uses will inflict self damage until he heals. He was broken for quite a while however and you could just walk back down the steps and he'd chase without bothering to heal himself and eventually just bleed out without you needing to do anything except walk close enough for him to start attacking you. He would always try to return to the actual arena where he would heal himself if he did, but all you had to do was take a couple steps forward to re-aggro him and he'd be stuck in a loop with you just stepping back and forth as he bled out.

They later patched it so he wouldn't pursue players as far and would heal himself more regularly. You can kinda still employ the same tactics however but more to get cheap hits in than have him bleed out. If you ever want to get all the weapons in the game you need to fight him.

Edit: There's also the hunter gunner on that small tower that you could get to suicide by dodging just right and he'd jump to his death. The real pain was wandering around afterwards trying to find his bloodstain and get his gear.

SUNKOS fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Feb 2, 2021

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Man, I get Concrete Genie, but instead of Control I get Bloodstained. I know that is also supposed to be good, but...I really wanted to try out Control.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rinkles posted:

how old's your ps3?

It’s a slim from 2010, still works perfectly. I’m thinking of putting a bigger hard drive in though, it’s only 110Gb. I don’t own much digital PS3 games but a lot of disc games will install a few gigs onto the HDD and it all adds up very quick.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Think I'm getting the hang of monhun, but I can only manage like 2 hunts before getting tired of it

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

fridge corn posted:

Think I'm getting the hang of monhun, but I can only manage like 2 hunts before getting tired of it
There is just an incredible amount of non-combat time involved in each hunt. I’m sure there’s some logic behind it and it seems to of succeeded because millions of people love the game, but for me it’s like waiting at a stoplight.

Edit: and that’s even after all the improvements they made to that in World. Before that it was like, can you wake me up when I finally get to the monster again?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I always thought that it's because Monster Hunter World tries to make hunts actually feel a bit like hunting instead of just like boss fights, and most of that is waiting and figuring out where you even need to go in the first place.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Cardiovorax posted:

I always thought that it's because Monster Hunter World tries to make hunts actually feel a bit like hunting instead of just like boss fights, and most of that is waiting and figuring out where you even need to go in the first place.
World just directly tells you where to go next for the most part though. They took out the challenge of that but not the time it takes to do it.

But either way, it’s the fighting that’s the fun part to me and they deliberately take it away several times during each hunt. It’s just not the game for me.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, fair point, I had almost forgotten about that. I was thinking more of the part where you have to find tracks and such for the game to show you a monster's location, but the constant running-away and having to chase the monster down again is probably the single most annoying part of the game. It really doesn't add anything except for giving some kind of justification to hunts having a time limit, because without that, you'd never realistically reach it.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

You can ride monsters that will bring you to your hunt target on their own and you can buff and sharpen on said mount. That was added with iceborne and is probably a qol feature that goes forward.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Monster Hunter is what if Diablo but about 20x slower with long load screens, unforgiveable for a pure action game imho.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Monster Hunter is what if Diablo but about 20x slower with long load screens, unforgiveable for a pure action game imho.

Good thing is that there are no long loads anymore and that monster hunter is not an action game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You got that right!