Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Thank you for linking this, reading over that actually filled in some stuff I was confused on like why at the start of CS2 it mentioned him being intermediate level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

BrightWing posted:

The cut content thats cannon, to be clear

I think it was turned into a radio drama or something.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
CS4 act 2 Agate using the cat in the shipping container trick again is a really good callback and also pretty funny that the plan is just "if it worked last time just do it again."

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I'm still unsure how (CS2 early C1 spoilers) it makes sense for the Noble Alliance to label the Imperial Army and the Reformist Factions as rebels. Like, they basically airdropped into the capital after the chancellor was shot, started destroying Imperial army units and took possession of the royal family. I assumed they blamed the Reformists for the Chancellor's death and justified their intervention as a way to protect the Imperial palace or whatever, most coups have some flimsy justification at the very least..

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Azran posted:

I'm still unsure how (CS2 early C1 spoilers) it makes sense for the Noble Alliance to label the Imperial Army and the Reformist Factions as rebels. Like, they basically airdropped into the capital after the chancellor was shot, started destroying Imperial army units and took possession of the royal family. I assumed they blamed the Reformists for the Chancellor's death and justified their intervention as a way to protect the Imperial palace or whatever, most coups have some flimsy justification at the very least..

If you're reading the Imperial Chronicle as you go they have a pretty solid propaganda machine going.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Cerberus is a good dog

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I thought "Lunaria Park, but in reverse!" was a cute gimmick but oh my god, why do they want me to suffer through Nord all over again :negative:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

there's proper fast travel this time

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
am very excited to play Renegade, who looks like what would happen if you put Hugo into the modern 3-person party skill-based modern Ys games

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
The Geofront Azure release finished editing!

https://geofront.esterior.net/2021/01/29/azure-editing-finished-test-underway-other-geofront-news/

I’ve been waiting for this to play Azure and CS2-4 so I’m dying for more Zemuria (I’m sure I will not feel this way after 400 more hours of Zemuria).

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Cold Steel 4, Act 3 finale:

Yo Arianrhod, I think it's kinda absurd that you can be beaten, partially absorbed, get a robot sized sword impaled through you and your robot, and still somehow have the time/life/energy left for the tearful farewell. Like.......what the poo poo is this entire long drawn out scene?

Also everytime I see the name Rufus I chuckle. It's not even the weirdest name, but something about it just tickles me.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Man, they really nerfed breaking enemies in CS4 didn't they? It only slightly delays the enemy's turn, so they frequently come back to life immediately after being broken. In general it's more difficult so far on Hard difficulty than CS3 was, though I won't be surprised if that changes later. One gameplay thing I noticed after just finishing CS3 is that it seems to only take two quartz (plus U-Materials) to get a quartz of higher level (compared with 3 in CS3), which should make it significantly easier to make high-level quartz in the end-game. They also removed the dumb 99 U-Material cap from CS3, which is good because that cap was really dumb.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Ytlaya posted:

Man, they really nerfed breaking enemies in CS4 didn't they? It only slightly delays the enemy's turn, so they frequently come back to life immediately after being broken. In general it's more difficult so far on Hard difficulty than CS3 was, though I won't be surprised if that changes later. One gameplay thing I noticed after just finishing CS3 is that it seems to only take two quartz (plus U-Materials) to get a quartz of higher level (compared with 3 in CS3), which should make it significantly easier to make high-level quartz in the end-game. They also removed the dumb 99 U-Material cap from CS3, which is good because that cap was really dumb.

In exchange, the best ex orbs cost 92 umats.
I had 400 extra and they vanished.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they kinda nerfed breaking but you can still break someone and then chronoburst spam so

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Man, Sky the 3rd has a weird setup. A Trails game seemingly without NPCs or sidequests comes off as such a major departure for the series. It feels super strange!

But other than that it has a pretty strong start. Kevin is cool and i'm liking his dynamic with Ries and it's fun that all the early game party members are the ones that you didn't really have time to use in CS2 (and Tita).

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I was randomly doing research on Jim Cummings and just found out that he voiced Dalles in some early versions of Ys 2 with voice acting???????

NBA FAN !!!!!!!
Dec 4, 2002

I got myself a copy of Monstrum Nox for my birthday and I'm streaming it @ https://twitch.tv/garbagetwink if anyone is interested in watching, probably will be on for the next couple hours

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I should beat Cold Steel 4 by tomorrow evening.

I can only hope I get some catharsis with Cedric & Co.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I just made it through the first real (mini-)dungeon in Monstrum Nox, and my advice to anyone who hasn't started playing the game yet: beeline the story until you unlock the dungeon. There are a bunch of invisible walls in the city that make exploration extremely frustrating, and they basically disappear after unlocking that first dungeon.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They should have big 🚫 signs on the map like Yakuza does at the start when you can't go anywhere except the story.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Sakurazuka posted:

They should have big 🚫 signs on the map like Yakuza does at the start when you can't go anywhere except the story.

That's the weird thing, that's not what's going on. There are just random invisible walls.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Hello, I just started cold steel 3 and it is very funny to see everyone talking poo poo about Rean.

Shout outs to all the pc quality of life improvements, translations, and hd mods. I used an AI upscale mod for cold steel 2 I randomly found on reddit and it looked very nice.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Ys IX showed up Saturday and y'all weren't kidding, it feels exactly like VIII.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

This is the first time Nisa has ever been late with my package and it hurts.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Just started Ys IX and ran into an early storyline where a Robin Hood type figure is stealing from the rich to give to the poor, and this is supposed to be a bad thing because it's making the poor lazy and entitled, and wow these politics are making me uncomfortable.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Clarste posted:

Just started Ys IX and ran into an early storyline where a Robin Hood type figure is stealing from the rich to give to the poor, and this is supposed to be a bad thing because it's making the poor lazy and entitled, and wow these politics are making me uncomfortable.

Yeah, I'm not thrilled about Falcom deciding to include right wing talking points in that chapter, but thankfully that isn't a trend in the game.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Little bit nervous about picking up Ys on day one. How are reports of crashes or big hole kinds of translations?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ghostinmyshell posted:

Little bit nervous about picking up Ys on day one. How are reports of crashes or big hole kinds of translations?

https://twitter.com/JRPGBook/status/1355613396981456903

loc looks good chief

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
IX now has one of my favorite moments of lampshade hanging Interrogator: "You even happened upon legendary weapons and artifacts. But somehow, you always lose them afterward."

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011

ghostinmyshell posted:

I wouldn't recommend buying it now if all you have to play it on is a normal PS4. The performance on it is pretty terrible. Tons of frame drops.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Idkbutlike2 posted:

I wouldn't recommend buying it now if all you have to play it on is a normal PS4. The performance on it is pretty terrible. Tons of frame drops.

That's how the JP version was too, so the only way to fix it is by playing it on a Pro/5, waiting for PC or uhh..well..lolswitch

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

That's how the JP version was too, so the only way to fix it is by playing it on a Pro/5, waiting for PC or uhh..well..lolswitch

I don't envy the poor bastards who have to get this mess running on the Switch's handheld mode.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Idkbutlike2 posted:

I don't envy the poor bastards who have to get this mess running on the Switch's handheld mode.

I bet Panic Button could do it, but well, NISA ain't hirin' them

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Shinjobi posted:

I should beat Cold Steel 4 by tomorrow evening.

I can only hope I get some catharsis with Cedric & Co.

LMFAO BIG FUCKIN NOPE ON THAT

Edit: fun with high-speed mode

Shirley, half health: "ooh, I'm feeling all tingly--"
Kurt, counter attack at light speed: "NOT TODAY!"

Shinjobi fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 3, 2021

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

One of the first dungeons in Ys 9 is Cloaca Maxima , that is some big Archeozoic Big Hole energy. Cloaca is aparently an archaic word for sewer according to google, but come on.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I’m tempted to break down and buy Ys IX even though I don’t have time to play it right now but it looks like NISA gave all of Canada like, 5 copies. It’s not even on Amazon. Best Buy, EBgames, Videogamesplus, all out.

NISA saving me from myself.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Well, at least Ys 9 being out gives me a reason to finally resume 8

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I really can't let this go.

The handling of Cedric makes Falcom as bad as the WWE when it comes to trying to tell a satisfying story

It ruins the entirety of his involvement in the story, it makes it hard(er) for Kurt to be interesting when the big revelation happens without his doing anything to make it happen, it just...

What the gently caress, this is basic storytelling. What even is this cold steel franchise.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
About 4 hrs into the new Ys and I can't believe we went from these amazing environments in earlier games to city and sewer biomes only. :smith: Maybe this would have made more sense during the bloom, brown era of the 360/PS3...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Ethiser posted:

One of the first dungeons in Ys 9 is Cloaca Maxima , that is some big Archeozoic Big Hole energy. Cloaca is aparently an archaic word for sewer according to google, but come on.

It's literally the Latin word for sewer. So the dungeon, which is a giant sewer, is called Giant Sewer in Latin. It's not their fault it makes you think of bird buttholes.