Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/ClientJournoExp/status/1356553921192464384?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
lol, goddamn, this will set the cat among the pigeons:

https://twitter.com/momentumbristol/status/1356353044636688391?s=21

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Danger - Octopus! posted:

More news on the consequences of brexit.

Fashion industry? hosed.

https://twitter.com/pmdfoster/status/1356315692920922112

Shellfish industry? Potentially about to collapse since apparently there's no exporting live shellfish to the EU for the foreseeable future, which has been known to be a problem since last year but nothing's been done by the government and if it's not clear if they even realise/care that the industry can't go on without exports. Industry bodies are reaching out to the government at the moment it looks like on that one.

I was at a conference 3 years ago when the total destruction of the North Wales mussels industry within 6 weeks of brexit was a 'known'. One of their biggest markets was French restaurants.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/mlothianmclean/status/1356189801385500672?s=21

Not an easy read, but an important one.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

gently caress yeah

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Can you even imagine how timothy treadwell felt during those last moments, as that bear descended upon him, pinning him with its strong arms and body, eating he face and destroying him forever

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Won't Starmer's Labour be all too happy to be rid of the loony left Momentum thugs?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

peanut- posted:

Of all the stupidity of Brexit the biggest oddity to me is how keen the government seems to be to immediately erect incredibly restrictive bureaucratic barriers and be utterly inflexible on them.

There will be a lot of barriers from the EU that we can't avoid, but half of these complexities are on our end and the only response seems to be "well you should have been more prepared for this deal that was signed 5 days before it came into effect. We produced several leaflets about it."

I thought we were meant to have a bonfire of the red tape.

The tories are a party consisting of the aristocracy and the very wealthy, legislating in the interests of the largest bourgeoisie and consistently put in power by the votes of petit bourgeois and nationalists. It's an incredibly good system for holding onto power but creates either utterly corrupt or insane governance because it can't really do anything except 'not be the left' without pissing off some major group within itself.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Ash Crimson posted:

Can you even imagine how timothy treadwell felt during those last moments, as that bear descended upon him, pinning him with its strong arms and body, eating he face and destroying him forever

Treadwell was such a Chad.

What a way to go drat.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

TACD posted:

Won't Starmer's Labour be all too happy to be rid of the loony left Momentum thugs?

yes the only way this works if you campaign for an alternative candidate

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Danger - Octopus! posted:

More news on the consequences of brexit.

Fashion industry? hosed.

https://twitter.com/pmdfoster/status/1356315692920922112

Shellfish industry? Potentially about to collapse since apparently there's no exporting live shellfish to the EU for the foreseeable future, which has been known to be a problem since last year but nothing's been done by the government and if it's not clear if they even realise/care that the industry can't go on without exports. Industry bodies are reaching out to the government at the moment it looks like on that one.

On one hand lol the UK hosed itself so hard
On the same hand lol the fashion industry dies it's poo poo anyway

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I was at a conference 3 years ago when the total destruction of the North Wales mussels industry within 6 weeks of brexit was a 'known'. One of their biggest markets was French restaurants.

On the same hand again lol the UK fishing industry is dying after voting to shoot itself in the head

There is no other hand because Brexit loving various bunches of insufferable twats is extremely funny

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

suck my woke dick posted:

On the same hand again lol the UK fishing industry is dying after voting to shoot itself in the head

There is no other hand because Brexit loving various bunches of insufferable twats is extremely funny

Except that the affected area of North Wales voted remain.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jel Shaker posted:

yes the only way this works if you campaign for an alternative candidate

Bristol Momentum is the main campaigning body in the southwest. Without them, the council and metro mayor campaigns in the area will barely have any volunteers - and no, South West Regional hasn't had the foresight to replace volunteer labour with paid labour. It's why their phonebanking campaign has barely got off the ground, which is kind of a problem because it's where they're getting all their voter information and policy polling from.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

No bread in the house and buggered if i'm going shopping till next week so made bread; 1/3 kilo self raising flour, egg, salt, milk, olive oil, water, oven @ 200c and 40min later i have a loaf of bread.

No yeast, just mix it, punch it a bit and then dump it on a floured baking tray. :pervert:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Just Another Lurker posted:

No bread in the house and buggered if i'm going shopping till next week so made bread; 1/3 kilo self raising flour, egg, salt, milk, olive oil, water, oven @ 200c and 40min later i have a loaf of bread.

No yeast, just mix it, punch it a bit and then dump it on a floured baking tray. :pervert:

That's a nice cake

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's a pretty horrible cake because you didn't put any sugar in it.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
There's a Warburton's bakery not far from my house and the smell of freshly-baked bread is a cruel one if I'm walking home hungry.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

suck my woke dick posted:

Yeah except whole industries going under isn't actually good at all and fucks thousands of perfectly nice people over monumentally.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

That's a nice cake

More like Soda Bread that was made with the wrong ingredients and turned into something tastier.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/TKispeter/status/1356600345133260801?s=20

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

My wife made a gluten free cake with butternut squash, and it stayed lovely and moist for ages. Really nice.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I have some no-knead pizza dough currently doing its thing on the counter.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/03/jim-laheys-no-knead-pizza-dough-recipe.html

The last ones came out pretty well

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

All the bread-makers ITT, how do you have hot fresh bread sitting around and not go out in one big blowout binge of hot buttered (real butter) bread.
My dad used to bake bread and I swear we got through a loaf a day each. (Per person I mean).
I envy people who can control themselves in the face of nice food.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Feb 2, 2021

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Ok its bad for jobs and rural economies, but as far as the environment goes the death of the fishing industry is... good?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

All the bread-makers ITT, how do you have hot fresh bread sitting around and not go out in one big blowout binge of hot buttered (real butter) bread.
My dad used to bake bread and I swear we got through a loaf a day each.
I envy people who can control themselves in the face of nice food.

I don't, I can eat half a loaf by myself.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Not finishing a loaf the day you get it always feels like a waste of freshness. If someone didn't already come up with some sort of daily bread delivery subscription during lockdown they should.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's generally fine if you put it in a sealed container the same day. Not the same as the crust goes chewy rather than crunchy but certainly not unpleasant.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the tories are correct in that you don’t want a wounded and angry industry post brexit , you want it completely destroyed so they can’t get back at you , and worst case scenario are bought up by big agriculture who put you on the board of directors

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Any good recommendations for book sellers to avoid amazon? Preferably uk based to avoid current import fuckery, ideally with an android app so I can browse on my phone.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

keep punching joe posted:

Ok its bad for jobs and rural economies, but as far as the environment goes the death of the fishing industry is... good?

They're British fish now and they're much happier for it

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Any good recommendations for book sellers to avoid amazon? Preferably uk based to avoid current import fuckery, ideally with an android app so I can browse on my phone.

Nothing wrong with just using Waterstones imo

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

https://www.calton-books.co.uk/books/

No app but prime :anarchists: content.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Bobby Deluxe posted:

hive.co.uk and they let you donate some of the profit to your local bookstore

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

My unexpert impression (always ready to be corrected by those with the actual knowledge) is that the literal answer to your question is "Yes", since if all fishing in the hard-fished British waters stopped it would be much better for the environment

But

The fishers really being screwed by Brexit aren't the big corporate fleets with a dozen big 35-metre beam trawlers that are at sea 24/7. They can ice the catch onboard and/or steam to an EU port to unload, and they have the resources to get through a few months of teething troubles (if that's what it turned out to be).

The people really being hosed by the situation at the moment are the individual or family fishers who have one boat, maybe only 15m long at most and quite possibly smaller than that, with just one or two people on. Maybe even an 8m open boat with one guy on hauling pots or running a mackerel line by hand. They're based in some tidal fishing village like Padstow, Fowey or Looe and only fish for one tide (leave on the high tide, return on the next one) and can't fish every day of the week or even all the way round the year.

They don't have the clout to survive the problems that Brexit have thrown up (even if they did, by and large, vote for it) so they're the ones that are going to go to the wall. And the big trawler fleets will buy up their quota and add to their pool.

So the vaguely sustainable sort of fishing is being put through the ringer and the only sort that has a hope of surviving is the absolute worst.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

BalloonFish posted:

So the vaguely sustainable sort of fishing is being put through the ringer and the only sort that has a hope of surviving is the absolute worst.
conservative-business-policy.docx

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

stev posted:

Not finishing a loaf the day you get it always feels like a waste of freshness. If someone didn't already come up with some sort of daily bread delivery subscription during lockdown they should.

During the war bakers were forbidden from selling fresh bread and had to keep it locked up for a day for exactly this reason.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Treadwell was such a Chad.

What a way to go drat.

Just imagine that feeling as you slowly but surely pass into the other world as you ascending the heavens, looking at the creature beneath you that is consuming your body for sustenance

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Got my first jab booked. Pump me full of beans. :toot:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Anyone able to take a stab (lol) as to when my partner will get her jab? She has rheumatoid arthritis and is on immunosuppressants, but she's only 32. We looking at April or May?

I have rear end-marr but I doubt they'll consider it 'serious' so I'm going to be waiting a looong time

Funny thing is even with the immunosuppressants her immune system is 10x what mine is, I've never met a bug that hasn't gone to town on me while she rarely gets sick and if so only extremely mildly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Captain Tom’s dead, watch plague island go into meltdown