Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

denimgorilla posted:

Hmm! I never noticed those upgrades. Probably worthwhile because the nomad is so bad. Love that you need to upgrade it to get to a baseline useable level.

They're in the research menu and take materials that you'll probably not have until the ice planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

chaosapiant posted:

I think the Nomad is fun to drive and handles fine. It's easy to click a button on the controller for flat terrain or hills. And as you upgrade it, it gets better and better where, with a good bit of speed, I can climb vertical cliffs like a champ, or rocket off a high plateau and tab the thrusters at the bottom to feather the fall. It's especially fun on the Turian "homeworld".
How easy it is to switch is not the point, that poo poo shouldn't even be necessary.

And the game has the tendency to reset you if you drop "too far" (mostly for too long), no matter how much you'd manage to slow the fall with your thruster upgrades. This is easily noticeable on the first desert planet once you unlock the northern part and try to jump down from the plateau where you start the big Kett outpost assault.

The Nomad is bad.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

orcane posted:

The Nomad is bad.

actually its good!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Hedrigall posted:

Here’s my Ryder, he’s gonna be face deep in cat flaps before the game is done

Is that an Asari Commando I see? You should ask her. Ask her what being an Asari Commando is like. Maybe she'll tell you, if you're lucky!

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I think ME:A is a failure on nearly every level, but a few years ago I had an idea about how to recontextualize the game:

Maybe the game is better if you imagine you're never actually playing as Ryder. You're playing as SAM.

You have a goal - to restart habitation in the Helius Cluster and to make the Andromeda Initiative work. Your problem: You're just an AI and can't go anywhere. You have to rely on a group of runaways and incompetents to do even simple tasks. The main vessel for your exploration, the tip of the spear, is an indecisive imbecile who requires your actual intervention just to make simple decisions. This human wants to gently caress everything that moves and has to be constantly and explicitly reminded not to burn or freeze themselves. Not only that, whatever that scourge stuff is, it's loving with your perceptions because your human just talked to a colonist whose head was spinning, and before that they had a conversation with an invisible crew member.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Is that an Asari Commando I see? You should ask her. Ask her what being an Asari Commando is like. Maybe she'll tell you, if you're lucky!

Taking Cora, Liam, and Peebee down a peg is the best part of their loyalty missions.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You know how good and cool the game is gonna be in the first scene when your intergalactic spaceship crashes into an enormous stationary object in space at maybe 10 miles per hour.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mass Effect 2's Jack Was Originally Pansexual, But Non-Straight Romances Were Cut Because Of Fox News

quote:

“I was trying to chart out the arc of [Jack’s] romance, which for much of the development - it was actually very late that it became a male/female-only romance,” Brian Kindregan tells me. Kindregan was the lead writer for Jack, Samara, and the first critical path mission on Horizon in Mass Effect 2, and also did the first pass on Grunt and Tuchanka, “She was essentially pansexual for most of the development of that romance.

“Mass Effect had been pretty heavily and really unfairly criticized in the US by Fox News, which at the time... maybe more people in the world thought that there was a connection between reality and what gets discussed on Fox News,” Kindregan continues. “The development team of Mass Effect 2 was a pretty progressive, open-minded team, but I think there was a concern at pretty high levels that if [the first] Mass Effect, which only had one gay relationship, Liara - which on paper was technically not a gay relationship because she was from a mono-gendered species - I think there was a concern that if that had drawn fire, that Mass Effect 2 had to be a little bit careful.”

Interestingly enough, Courtenay Taylor - who played Jack in Mass Effect 2 - also expressed that she was originally supposed to be a pansexual character. In a recent chat with our own Kirk McKeand, Taylor said:

“It’s funny to me because my understanding was always that she was pansexual. So I don’t know if that’s just something I inferred from the character or something that she said that maybe got cut. I was surprised there wasn’t a female romance possible because that was my understanding. I think it was the time, you know? That was, what - 2008/2009? The industry has changed exponentially since then, and BioWare was leading the charge on that. I don’t know if it came down to a budget constraint or maybe someone being like ‘this is too obvious’ because everyone was like ‘of course she’s a lesbian.’ But my sense was always that she was [pansexual] and it just didn’t get followed through. Of course, the community modded it immediately so you can have it your way.”

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Jack was weird in particular because (IIRC) if Shepard flirts with her, she heavily implies she's had female partners but it was a phase and she's over it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
There's also been rumors for years that Tali and Thane were planned to be bi in ME2 - Tali even fantasizes about a three-way with Garrus and FemShep in ME3 Citadel.

Wonder if anything like that will be added in the remaster.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Cythereal posted:

There's also been rumors for years that Tali and Thane were planned to be bi in ME2 - Tali even fantasizes about a three-way with Garrus and FemShep in ME3 Citadel.

Much like revamped ME3 multiplayer and a changed ending, this would cause more people to buy it so they 100 percent will not do it

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I'd bet $5 that the remaster won't be more effort than what it takes to get all 3 games running on modern systems and to drop in 4k textures without bothering to upgrade any in-game models.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Cythereal posted:

It's a remaster, they will do a minimum viable product and then dump support, it's designed to cash in on nostalgia.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Pops Mgee posted:

The janky rear end Mako was better than the Nomad in every way. Nomad bad.
The Mako's good on flat terrain, but I'd rather slooooowly but at least steadily go up a steep hill than risk uncontrollably bouncing off it when things get slightly rough. Driving the Nomad around does make me miss having a big turret with which to blast annoying trash mobs something fierce, though.

8one6 posted:

I'd bet $5 that the remaster won't be more effort than what it takes to get all 3 games running on modern systems and to drop in 4k textures without bothering to upgrade any in-game models.
Well, I don't know how much you're willing to trust Bioware on this, but according to the official website:

quote:

For many months now, our team at BioWare has been hard at work updating the textures, shaders, models, effects and technical features of three enormous games.
I also remember reading something a while ago about them deciding to delay the Legendary Edition's release a bit because they wanted some extra time to work on ME1 and bring its gameplay a bit more in line with ME2/ME3 or summat. That'd be neat. Haven't seen any further proof of this, but hope springs eternal. :unsmith:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
If the remaster has controller support on PC it’s a day-one buy for me.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

8one6 posted:

I’m perfectly cool with this. I just want Ultrawide and controller support on PC.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Cythereal posted:

Wasnt there also cut dialogue for Miranda/Jacob romance for the same gender Shep? I at least remember there was something like that out there. Though I might be misremembering something from the first game, that I just transplanted from Ash to Miranda because I like Miranda more.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

As I amble my way through Andromeda again, it's comforting to see that the turian with the drinking problem still hangs out in The Vortex all the time.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
How am I just seeing this for the first time today?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOqHUa2LfNY

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Eimi posted:

Wasnt there also cut dialogue for Miranda/Jacob romance for the same gender Shep? I at least remember there was something like that out there. Though I might be misremembering something from the first game, that I just transplanted from Ash to Miranda because I like Miranda more.

I know in the first game there's dialogue of Manshep reading Femsheps lines and vice versa

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Manshep also had lines for a romance with Thane and Femshep for Tali.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhfzyGbnAYA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtVNqxjiH0Y

The "official," "company" explanation for these always seems to be that both genders of Shepards always record all lines, even for the other Shepard, and it doesn't mean that these romances were necessarily ever going to be in the game. Honestly, I don't know how real of a justification that is, especially given this new info about Jack and particularly the part where media blowback had an explicit effect on production.

It never made much sense to me, having a tiny bit of experience with the development pipeline, that you would make more work for yourself to record more material if you didn't at least suspect that you might need those assets at some point. And the idea that, for instance, Jennifer Hale needed to hear Mark Meer deliver lines for scenes -- much less romances -- that we were always ever only going to hear Hale performing in-game seemed like a...strange...allocation of time.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 23, 2021

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

If the remaster has controller support on PC it’s a day-one buy for me.

Same but for Dragon Age.

Eimi posted:

I've heard rumors Miranda was supposed to be romanceable by Femshep but no proof yet.

But yeah, Miranda and Jack were the characters I absolutely wanted to romance and felt so cheated by not being able to.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
On Elaaden would it be better for the environment to have everyone urinate in to a large bowl out in the sun so it would evaporate immediately and possibly become rain later?
Or would getting it filtered through the sand and drinkable quicker be a better option?
Hard questions for a hard world.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

OgNar posted:

On Elaaden would it be better for the environment to have everyone urinate in to a large bowl out in the sun so it would evaporate immediately and possibly become rain later?
Or would getting it filtered through the sand and drinkable quicker be a better option?

only if they need a lot of phosphorous

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

OgNar posted:

Honest answer i don't think the quantities you're talking about would be enough to make a difference on a planetary scale

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Smash some comets up into it

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Honest answer i don't think the quantities you're talking about would be enough to make a difference on a planetary scale

Who knows with Krogans.

Pee is stored in the hump and the quads

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

BrianWilly posted:

The "official," "company" explanation for these always seems to be that both genders of Shepards always record all lines, even for the other Shepard, and it doesn't mean that these romances were necessarily ever going to be in the game. Honestly, I don't know how real of a justification that is, especially given this new info about Jack and particularly the part where media blowback had an explicit effect on production.

It never made much sense to me, having a tiny bit of experience with the development pipeline, that you would make more work for yourself to record more material if you didn't at least suspect that you might need those assets at some point. And the idea that, for instance, Jennifer Hale needed to hear Mark Meer deliver lines for scenes -- much less romances -- that we were always ever only going to hear Hale performing in-game seemed like a...strange...allocation of time.
As I understand it, the normal procedure is that all possible voice lines are always recorded by all voice actors for the main character. It's easier to just not use a handful of lines, rather than having someone go in manually and remove certain lines and risk human error.

Like there's Male V voice lines for the Judy romance in CP2077, even though Judy is explicitly lesbian, and the animations don't work right if mod it to enable the romance with male V.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
They can fix that in post.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Heads up, gaming food remastered previews are dropping today :burger:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I want to see the HD ramen remaster. Or the big stupid jellyfish.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If the remaster does not fix FemShep's animation on big stupid jellyfish to match Jennifer Hale's delivery then this entire endeavor will be a complete failure.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8i53TtQ6IQ

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1356635533280120832

Only improvements to ME1 revealed so far are loading times and textures.... the mako controlled perfectly fine!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So basically it's the A Lot of Textures Mod but with extra model and shader work.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

So basically it's the A Lot of Textures Mod but with extra model and shader work.

And lens flare. Lots of lens flare.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Most importantly:

The loading times inside the lift up to the Citadel's Presidium level have been reduced from 52 seconds to 14

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

"Includes single player content only"

Welp at least that's a confirmation.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Improved customization better mean we get some updated hairstyles.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
It's been a long time, but did ME2 also have the new game+ like ME1? I seem to remember the only way I managed to get a character to level 60 in ME1 was at least 3 playthroughs also using the Pinnacle Station dlc to grind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

ME2 had NG+ yes.