Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Vagabundo posted:

It's also indicative of WCW's worst booking instincts - if fans get behind someone other than their intended, they try to punish the fans. It's just so counter-productive. I get that a fair chunk of it would also come from the never-ending backstage politics and manoeuvring by people like Hogan, but like, as much as the nWo made money, their "invasion" needed a definitive end-point, and it needed a foil beyond just Sting.

What did turning Sting or Goldberg into "just guys" or torpedoing the Horsemen ultimately achieve? How's that WCW going these days?

This is what bugs me through this re-watch. It's all so short sighted and lot of the booking decisions also feel incredibly mean spirited and egotistical. It comes off less like the nWo is being disrespectful as a story element and more that Hogan, Eric, and Nash actually think the history and tradition of WCW is bullshit and it's funny to poo poo on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!

TheKingslayer posted:

This is what bugs me through this re-watch. It's all so short sighted and lot of the booking decisions also feel incredibly mean spirited and egotistical. It comes off less like the nWo is being disrespectful as a story element and more that Hogan, Eric, and Nash actually think the history and tradition of WCW is bullshit and it's funny to poo poo on it.

Eric was pretty much laser focused only on ratings, not on money or good long-term booking

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TheKingslayer posted:

One of the things that stood out to me was how everyone on screen talks about Elizabeth after she joins up with Flair. It feels like the whole thing exists only as a weird fantasy to humiliate her for leaving Savage.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Really happy I missed out on that. Yikes.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

At the point I'm at Liz has just been paired back with Luger in early '99 and while I know that relationship wasn't great at least on screen she doesn't look completely miserable. Just gotta wait for Russo to go and ruin that.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Vagabundo posted:

It's also indicative of WCW's worst booking instincts - if fans get behind someone other than their intended, they try to punish the fans. It's just so counter-productive. I get that a fair chunk of it would also come from the never-ending backstage politics and manoeuvring by people like Hogan, but like, as much as the nWo made money, their "invasion" needed a definitive end-point, and it needed a foil beyond just Sting.

What did turning Sting or Goldberg into "just guys" or torpedoing the Horsemen ultimately achieve? How's that WCW going these days?

The only end point that Bischoff and Hogan wanted, it seems, is that the nWo "wins" somehow. Never mind what that meant.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

TheKingslayer posted:

At the point I'm at Liz has just been paired back with Luger in early '99 and while I know that relationship wasn't great at least on screen she doesn't look completely miserable. Just gotta wait for Russo to go and ruin that.

I mean, they were legitimately close in real life, weren't they? They both had persona issues obviously but that didn't mean they didn't like each other. Maybe she was happy to work with somebody she was involved with currently as opposed to years nd years ago.

Never thought about it before he brought it up but there was probably something to Bryan's speculation about Russo's obsession with Elizabeth due to growing up watching her be the "pure maiden" in WWF.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MrBling posted:

You got the Fullers mixed up.

Colonel Parker was Robert Fuller, who isn't quite as tall as Ron.

Ron never worked in WCW.

Yeah, I thought I might have had that wrong but as usual, I didn't bother to check, so naturally I was wrong. Good catch.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

TheKingslayer posted:

Speaking of "short-sighted booking decisions," it's staggering to see so much of the stupid poo poo that Bischoff and his infinite moneyspawn chequebook did being repeated. Like, WCW hoovering up talent like Benoit, Saturn, Malenko, luchadors like Mysterio, Psicosis, etc., and even Bret Hart, and then doing sweet gently caress all with them, while putting the focus almost exclusively on a chosen few, at the expense of people the crowd is actually getting behind.

It's also seen in stupid poo poo like jobbing out Sheamus after he's initially pushed to the main event, ostensibly to see if he "wants it" or The Miz while he's the loving world champion by making him a third wheel in his own title feud (not to mention needing Alex Riley and Michael Cole's help to beat a geriatric kiddie-fucker) or stalling careers for the benefit of someone who doesn't loving need it, like Rusev or Bray Wyatt (even taking into account how much of a target of opprobrium and vitriol he has ended up being).

WWE keeps failing upwards, but, as the 12th put it, "nobody wins for long" and sooner or later, all of this poo poo is going to catch up to them eventually. And then what? What's going to happen when the chickens come home to roost?

Defiance Industries posted:

The only end point that Bischoff and Hogan wanted, it seems, is that the nWo "wins" somehow. Never mind what that meant.

Honestly, when the nWo split into a face and heel faction (yes, I know they eventually reformed in the wake of the "fingerpoke of doom, butts in seats, Goldberg takes over an hour to cross a road" episode - although I don't believe for a single solitary second that this had been planned for longer than a day, maybe a week tops, before going through with it), it's like "ya done lost sight of what you were."

Like, if Starrcade 97 wasn't going to be the "end" of the nWo, then an event like Bash At The Beach 98 (to bring it all full circle) or Starrcade 98 (as the big showpiece event for WCW) should have been it - and in a match type that was a WCW signature.

Bischoff, and by extension, WCW at the creative level was booking by the seat of his pants, with no endgame in mind, and no idea of how to get there.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Vagabundo posted:

Goldberg takes over an hour to cross a road
I remember reading Death of WCW and coming across this. I imagined the picture of Goldberg in ring-gear standing at a traffic light stuck on red, just doing his heavy breathing as he waits for it to turn green and it sent me into a wild laughing fit. Good times.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Vagabundo posted:

Honestly, when the nWo split into a face and heel faction (yes, I know they eventually reformed in the wake of the "fingerpoke of doom, butts in seats, Goldberg takes over an hour to cross a road" episode - although I don't believe for a single solitary second that this had been planned for longer than a day, maybe a week tops, before going through with it), it's like "ya done lost sight of what you were."

Like, if Starrcade 97 wasn't going to be the "end" of the nWo, then an event like Bash At The Beach 98 (to bring it all full circle) or Starrcade 98 (as the big showpiece event for WCW) should have been it - and in a match type that was a WCW signature.

Bischoff, and by extension, WCW at the creative level was booking by the seat of his pants, with no endgame in mind, and no idea of how to get there.

I haven't consumed a lot of the backstage info, shoots, Observer articles and all that but the way it looks to me is that Eric and his small group really think they're the whole drat show and are having too much fun booking themselves going over all the time to realize the boo-ing is because everyone is sick of their poo poo.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

frankenfreak posted:

I remember reading Death of WCW and coming across this. I imagined the picture of Goldberg in ring-gear standing at a traffic light stuck on red, just doing his heavy breathing as he waits for it to turn green and it sent me into a wild laughing fit. Good times.

He stopped at a friend's house: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2iywaz

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

TheKingslayer posted:

I imagine she got real good at putting on a brave face while enduring Randy Savage's crazy rear end.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Now seems like a good time to post this classic clip. The difference in crowd reaction at around 0:54, from :geno: to :dance: is perhaps the greatest whiplash ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9lL_NKcfNM

that's a fantastic stunner sell by JJ, lol

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TheKingslayer posted:

I haven't consumed a lot of the backstage info, shoots, Observer articles and all that but the way it looks to me is that Eric and his small group really think they're the whole drat show and are having too much fun booking themselves going over all the time to realize the boo-ing is because everyone is sick of their poo poo.

Also I got the impression people were too scared to say anything since he was also running things and even when you did something like Chris Jericho trying to get that angle with Goldberg nothing came of it, so why bother in the first place?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

frankenfreak posted:

https://twitter.com/Toffile/status/946075058040135681?s=19

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

So Nash does the finger poke and then becomes champion again at Slamboree a few months later and anyone anywhere is supposed to be excited about that?

lol

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

From what I remember, the crowds were super thrilled leading up to the Fingerpoke that Nash was going to finally give Hogan his comeuppance. Then, well...

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

From what I remember, the crowds were super thrilled leading up to the Fingerpoke that Nash was going to finally give Hogan his comeuppance. Then, well...

The B&V recap of it is really great, especially Vinny saying he doesn't watch anyone in the ring and just keeps his eye on the fans. "they remain standing, arms at their side, mouths agape.... they've just been hosed. All 40,000 of them..."

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
That Van Hammer video is amazing like most WCW things because even when you know they spent money, they rarely used it effectively or could make anything look cool.

I'm obsessed with the back up band now. Let's get our super cool new guy Van Hammer in the ring and surround him by your dad's friends from work. With bandannas!

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I've just watched a couple of Nitros and Thunders from November 98 and Scott Norton defends the IWGP Heavyweight title against both Lodi and Van Hammer in separate matches.

And the absurdity of this image made me laugh so much, I had to screen shot it.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Honestly surprised he doesn't sell signed 8x10s of that image

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I now want him to have a WORLD CHAMPION with Ted DiBiase banner.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

DeathChicken posted:

I was too. I always taped nitro, watched the unopposed first hour live, then switched to Raw when it started and finished watching nitro on tape afterwards.

That night i decided to watch nitro instead and i had regrets

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

DJExile posted:

The B&V recap of it is really great, especially Vinny saying he doesn't watch anyone in the ring and just keeps his eye on the fans. "they remain standing, arms at their side, mouths agape.... they've just been hosed. All 40,000 of them..."

What other events in wrestling compare with the Finger Poke as far as leaving fans disappointed like that?

I know Verne Gagne booked some garbage. Daniel Bryan not being in the rumble Batista won, but there's gotta be other stuff.

Austin turning heel?

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Not on finger poke level. But the ppv before WM14 had an 8 man tag main event. Austin, Owen, terry funk and mankind vs HBK, HHH, and the new age outlaws.

Well wwf knew that shawns back was hosed and he was barely going to make it to wrestlemania. They still advertised him for the match up until I believe the pre show where they announced savio Vega as his replacement because he had been doing some goon work for DX recently.

Basically anyone that bought a ticket or the ppv got screwed unless they were watching the preshow which I’m pretty sure back then they were just interviews and hype to get last minute orders.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
December to Dismember as a whole is a given, but especially the main event.

Triple H beating Booker T at Wrestlemania is not capped off by rounds of boos or even applause for them putting on a good match, but the sight of multiple people in the crowd getting up for their piss break. Which is probably not what you want for one of your Wrestlemania world title matches.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

TheKingslayer posted:

What other events in wrestling compare with the Finger Poke as far as leaving fans disappointed like that?
It's not disappointment but the legitimate shock of Taker losing to Brock at WM30 is up there. After all it birthed a famous meme.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
I'll admit to being the one guy who popped for the FPoD.

I was a teen at the time, Nash and Hall were my boys, and the nWo was the only thing that got me to watch WCW in the first place.

Prior to Hall first showing up my opinion of WCW was "that hick wrestling show with all the old-rear end 80's WWF guys, plus goofy cartoon poo poo like the Dungeon of Doom" and I was happy to see The Cliq clown on them all with baseball bats while yelling "THUG LIFE!"

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
WM 28’s opening match (Sheamus beats Bryan in 13 seconds) didn’t reach that level of disappointment but it was pretty bad.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Piper and Hogan's age in the cage match was extremely disappointing imo

E: also Warrior's entire wcw thing was among the bigliest of wrestling disappointments

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Nick Jr. Face posted:

It's not disappointment but the legitimate shock of Taker losing to Brock at WM30 is up there. After all it birthed a famous meme.

This is where I'll dissent, I was in the Superdome and as a Brock mark I popped huge. But at the same time I've never experienced something like that many people being mostly rendered silent.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

TheKingslayer posted:

I know Verne Gagne booked some garbage. Daniel Bryan not being in the rumble Batista won, but there's gotta be other stuff.

Austin turning heel?

For me, Bryan getting hosed over at HiaC ‘13 was when I realized they were never going to give a poo poo about what the fans wanted. The Rumble was just further confirmation.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Red posted:

For me, Bryan getting hosed over at HiaC ‘13 was when I realized they were never going to give a poo poo about what the fans wanted. The Rumble was just further confirmation.

The whole series of loving over Bryan was some of the most hateful booking I can recall. Just actively telling the fans you hate them.

Also on the subject of wcw, good lord was David Flair blessed with nothing. Bad look, bad promos, ugh.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

TheKingslayer posted:

Also on the subject of wcw, good lord was David Flair blessed with nothing. Bad look, bad promos, ugh.

He did the nutty/stalker thing alright. It was cheesy as hell but in the pro wrestling world it fit.

To my knowledge though Ric just tossed him out there with flat out zero training and you kinda feel awful for him and the guys doing their damndest to get a match out of one of the greenest motherfuckers WCW had ever seen.

E: Hell, even Glacier seemed to have at least something of an idea of what to do, and could actually draw on his old martial arts training. David was just... there.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

DJExile posted:

He did the nutty/stalker thing alright. It was cheesy as hell but in the pro wrestling world it fit.

It was nice for that bit when Crowbar got a push too. I enjoyed their combo with Daffney before Stacy, cheating, and pregnancy were put into the mix. Eventually they made David too big of a part of the show, but the fact that he provided even a minimal amount of entertainment with his complete lack of training (and, seemingly, skills) was impressive in a weird way.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

David Flair was worthless, and sorry but no he was not good as a stalker. It was a desperate attempt to make him interesting, and accomplished nothing other than being extremely cringeworthy in hindsight and dragging down the careers of the actually interesting performers who were saddled with him.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DJExile posted:

E: Hell, even Glacier seemed to have at least something of an idea of what to do, and could actually draw on his old martial arts training. David was just... there.

Glacier'd been wrestling since 1987 so he had nearly a decade in the business before his Mortal Kombat cosplay and did two stints with WCW beforehand. Apparently during the second Muta liked working with him so much he requested Ray Lloyd work with him on house shows. He even worked for UWFi which if I knew, I had forgotten until I looked it up.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Glacier'd been wrestling since 1987 so he had nearly a decade in the business before his Mortal Kombat cosplay and did two stints with WCW beforehand. Apparently during the second Muta liked working with him so much he requested Ray Lloyd work with him on house shows. He even worked for UWFi which if I knew, I had forgotten until I looked it up.

Huh! I was not aware of any of that. That's pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

rujasu posted:

David Flair was worthless, and sorry but no he was not good as a stalker. It was a desperate attempt to make him interesting, and accomplished nothing other than being extremely cringeworthy in hindsight and dragging down the careers of the actually interesting performers who were saddled with him.

Nepotism in that industry is going to happen. If it means Daffney and Crowbar got to work, then I'm okay with it.