Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
how to pronounce "ø", a guide for Americans

1. say "bird"

2. now say just the vowel sound

3. close enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

1. say "ö"

:smuggo:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Nenonen posted:

Small communities separated by great distances, and only davvisamegiella counts in the thousands. The others are in the hundreds or dozens.

I don't quite understand the difference between Finnish and Swedish. Ää? Both languages have the ä, our alphabets are identical. So the difference is a dipthong?

In Swedish, vowel length is indicated by doubling the following consonant (which will incidentally be long for phonological reasons) of short vowels, and failing that not at all. In Finnish, vowel length is indicated by doubling the vowel for long vowels. Thus, ää will be unlikely to occur in Swedish (could happen in composite nouns I guess), but it's super common in Finnish.

Also å is literally called "Swedish O" in Finnish, so it's not really a full member of the alphabet in my headcannon.

Edit: it has been proposed to introduce ö to Danish in addition to ø, to be able to distinguish dør (dies, verb) from dør/dör (door, noun).

BonHair has a new favorite as of 15:45 on Feb 2, 2021

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

jeebus bob posted:

1. say "bird"

3. close enough

No, it isn't.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
If the European language smuggery doesn't stop this instant, I swear to god I'll post the video of Germans trying to say "squirrel".

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

BonHair posted:

Edit: it has been proposed to introduce ö to Danish in addition to ø, to be able to distinguish dør (dies, verb) from dør/dör (door, noun).

A very Kamelåså move.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

jeebus bob posted:

1. say "bird"

3. close enough

If you do that with northen english you get something a lot closer to ä :v:

bääärd.

IYKK
Mar 13, 2006
Vowel sounds are hard for people (english speakers) who just do a formless grunt (schwa) 60 % of the time.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The sequence of faintly modulated grunts is the most elegant and efficient form of language.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

BonHair posted:

In Swedish, vowel length is indicated by doubling the following consonant (which will incidentally be long for phonological reasons) of short vowels, and failing that not at all. In Finnish, vowel length is indicated by doubling the vowel for long vowels. Thus, ää will be unlikely to occur in Swedish (could happen in composite nouns I guess), but it's super common in Finnish.

Also å is literally called "Swedish O" in Finnish, so it's not really a full member of the alphabet in my headcannon.

Yea, this is the confusing part to me. It's not exactly about the alphabet nor about the sounds, because 'ää' is not an alphabet but 'å' is not a sound (just like c,f, w, x or z are not featured in any Finnish word despite being part of the alphabet for compatibility purposes).

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

IYKK posted:

Vowel sounds are hard for people (english speakers) who just do a formless grunt (schwa) 60 % of the time.

Describing vowel sounds in English is hard because English has like twenty vowels described with five letters.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Nenonen posted:

Yea, this is the confusing part to me. It's not exactly about the alphabet nor about the sounds, because 'ää' is not an alphabet but 'å' is not a sound (just like c,f, w, x or z are not featured in any Finnish word despite being part of the alphabet for compatibility purposes).

It seems like it's purely about the official alphabet and the orthographic conventions on using it. Sound doesn't influence the chart except by it's (varying) influence on the orthographies. As a tool for identifying am the language of a text, it makes some sense. Of course, it's super unlikely that you'll find an å in a Finnish text, since it's used primarily for Swedish (city) names like Åbo/Turku. But nominally, å and ää occur in Finnish, and ää doesn't occur in Swedish, where å is common.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

BonHair posted:

pfft, english gets along fine with multiple words being spelled the same way

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Dearest creature in creation,
Studying English pronunciation,

I will teach you in my verse
Sounds like corpse, corps, horse and worse...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I quite like that poem because either the pronunciations have drifted or you need a quite specific english accent for all of it to make sense.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I quite like that poem because either the pronunciations have drifted or you need a quite specific english accent for all of it to make sense.

There is a whole thing in english about how vowel sounds shifted over time so generally the way you are supposed to pronounce a word depends on how old that word is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Vowel_Shift

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sure, but what I mean is that literally in the last 100 years that poem doesn't work, so either it demonstrates that there isn't even a consistent pronunciation across England or it's out of date.

eg. actual/victual are pronounced the same, though I assume the very upper class elocution the author is writing in would pronounce it more like vict-you-al rather than vic-chew-al

Also pretty sure made and bade are pronounced the same and if they aren't it definitely doens't rhyme with plaid.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 23:31 on Feb 2, 2021

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Most languages with an alphabet actually update their spelling when a word pronunciation changes.

English is the only language I know that basically stopped doing that many centuries ago, which is why so many words have the pronunciation shifted much further from the spelling than you'd expect.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Sure, but what I mean is that literally in the last 100 years that poem doesn't work, so either it demonstrates that there isn't even a consistent pronunciation across England or it's out of date.

eg. actual/victual are pronounced the same, though I assume the very upper class elocution the author is writing in would pronounce it more like vict-you-al rather than vic-chew-al

Also pretty sure made and bade are pronounced the same and if they aren't it definitely doens't rhyme with plaid.

I rhyme made and bade (insofar as I say bade at all), but I say ack-chul and vic-chew-al

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

OwlFancier posted:

The sequence of faintly modulated grunts is the most elegant and efficient form of language.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQwYNca4iog

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
The poem implies that "victual" rhymes with "little," which is also the pronunciation Google recommends for it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kantesu posted:

The poem implies that "victual" rhymes with "little," which is also the pronunciation Google recommends for it.

The gently caress? That's like saying that cannot rhymes with can't.

Like yes they mean the same thing and one is derived from the other but they're different words. loving google's off its tits.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Merriam-Webster and Wiktionary both agree.

We are talking about the language that came up with Featherstonehaugh and Cholmondeley here.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I'm pretty sure the specific accent it's aimed at is a kind of middle class, home counties accent. It works almost perfectly for me, and most of the "misses" are words I'd just never ever use anyway, but I can see how immediately it would fall apart under exposure to even my posher neighbours I had growing up, let alone anything else.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

redleader posted:

pfft, english gets along fine with multiple words being spelled the same way

Also the same word spelled multiple ways!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

OwlFancier posted:

The gently caress? That's like saying that cannot rhymes with can't.

Like yes they mean the same thing and one is derived from the other but they're different words. loving google's off its tits.

You read it one way and heard it the other and assumed they were two different words, but they aren't. The word you pronounce "vittles" is spelled V-I-C-T-U-A-L-S

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Yeah it's like boatswain. You spell it boatswain but it's only ever pronounced bosun.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

flavor.flv posted:

You read it one way and heard it the other and assumed they were two different words, but they aren't. The word you pronounce "vittles" is spelled V-I-C-T-U-A-L-S

No I've read the word vittles multiple times, because it's how you spell the corruption of the word "victuals"

Dictionaries are all lying everybody betray me I'm fed up with this language.

I'm going to eat my vittles and cry.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 01:01 on Feb 3, 2021

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Memento posted:

Yeah it's like boatswain. You spell it boatswain but it's only ever pronounced bosun.

On the subject of nautical terms, I like how many apostrophes are in fo'c's'le, which is the only way people say "forecastle"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

Oh, is this how they spell Welsh?

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

I’ll have the ghoti with a side of ghoughphtheightteeau chips!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Memento posted:

Today I learned

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

flavor.flv posted:

No it isn't :colbert:

This is the only proof I have or need.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

OwlFancier posted:

No I've read the word vittles multiple times, because it's how you spell the corruption of the word "victuals"

Dictionaries are all lying everybody betray me I'm fed up with this language.

I'm going to eat my vittles and cry.

*"eat my Victuals and cry"

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Karia posted:

No it isn't :colbert:

This is the only proof I have or need.

dont the moles in that series literally call them vittles

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Ignite Memories posted:

dont the moles in that series literally call them vittles

Iirc literally every character calls them vittles. I know it wasn't just the moles because as a child I hated reading mole-speak so I always skipped over every single mole character's dialogue.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Don Gato posted:

Iirc literally every character calls them vittles. I know it wasn't just the moles because as a child I hated reading mole-speak so I always skipped over every single mole character's dialogue.

The moles just want to eat zoup 'n cruster.

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008
vittles:victuals::sez:says

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Don Gato posted:

My dad read it aloud to me and for like 2 or 3 books i thought they were saying complete nonsense, then I started reading them for myself and I could understand it completely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

:same:

This is one of those words where I've seen it written, and heard it spoken, but never in such a way where I would have been able to form a contextual link between the two words. English has so many of those weird semi-obscure words where you are fairly likely to encounter them at least a few times in your life, but not really enough times to make that connection.