Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Ella Cinders

Zorro

Reply All

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Geez Buck. Didn't even get out of the parking lot before stuffing your face.

I bet he wrecks his classic car.

My diabetic father in law still keeps bowls of candy around his house and loves to eat swedish fish by the handful in between meals of pasta and beer. The guy is too stubborn and fatalistic to actually eat healthier. So this little arc is basically real for me.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Green Intern posted:

My diabetic father in law still keeps bowls of candy around his house and loves to eat swedish fish by the handful in between meals of pasta and beer. The guy is too stubborn and fatalistic to actually eat healthier. So this little arc is basically real for me.

My papa was that way, but he was also of the generation where he did no grocery shopping or pantry stocking. So between his house and my aunts' houses, he spent his last 15 years eating sugar-free diabetic candy everywhere he went without even knowing it. Granny probably squeezed another 5 years out of him.

e: taking a moment today to reflect on the people working to keep me alive forever, and showing a little god drat gratitude.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Feb 2, 2021

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Some Guy TT posted:

Does anyone have that Creeps comic where they talk about how smart they are for figuring out that cat food is made of cats because logically, why else cats would be on the cover? I've been thinking of that storyline infrequently ever since hearing about the Quillette guy who just thought there was a dog on the packaging of his shampoo for no reason.

https://twitter.com/mercury_hat/status/1355953255910662144

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moominposting

FrumpleOrz posted:

Safe Havens

Yes, the story is that the entire crew was selected through an insane amount of nepotism, where the entire crew consist exclusively of the commander's nearest friends and family, most of them without any kind of scientific background.
So of course they're friendly with the chief medical officer, they're probably great friends.

Imagine being some of the astronauts in this world, having gone through decades of study, training, and exercise. And you're told that oh no, none of you are going on the first manned expedition to a different planet, but some kids are.
'Sorry, while you are eminently qualified to be one of the 'pilots', due to a decade flying experimental aircraft, and multiple trips to the ISS, the slot is already taken by the commander's husband. '
'What are his qualifications, I've never heard of him before?'
'He's a minor league basketballer, and before you ask, no, he has zero relevant experience.'

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Thanks!

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
Yeah but can any trained astronaut spend an entire trip hanging upside down from a trapeze swing?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:thunk:

Family Circus

Rose is Rose :3:

One Big Happy

Will stay. For now. Next time a lovely joke happens, someone else can take it over. Cuz effort.

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I do wonder if a big parade would really be held for a bunch of astronauts these days. Especially ones a private corporation founded. I guess going to Mars and back would be a big thing but it's not like we have a space race going on or it was even a government sponsored thing.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popular Comics

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

SubNat posted:

Yes, the story is that the entire crew was selected through an insane amount of nepotism, where the entire crew consist exclusively of the commander's nearest friends and family, most of them without any kind of scientific background.
So of course they're friendly with the chief medical officer, they're probably great friends.

Imagine being some of the astronauts in this world, having gone through decades of study, training, and exercise. And you're told that oh no, none of you are going on the first manned expedition to a different planet, but some kids are.
'Sorry, while you are eminently qualified to be one of the 'pilots', due to a decade flying experimental aircraft, and multiple trips to the ISS, the slot is already taken by the commander's husband. '
'He's a minor league basketballer, and before you ask, no, he has zero relevant experience.'

Don't forget that the Medical Officer and the Granddaughter are the same person, because time travel.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Mikl posted:

Classic Kevin & Kell (May 17-21, 1999)

Having your girlfriend change the line "someone who loves you" to "a friend" in your own dream is a brutal self-own.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Selachian posted:

Bonus ad! The war's over, so here's General Electric to brag about how fast they'll be rolling out new goods for you, the victorious American, to consume!

People had lots of money to spend, and no place to spend it. Ads like this were exactly what the buying public was looking for, after almost four years of war and rationing. You will see a similar explosion once the pandemic is on the wane.

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Geez Buck. Didn't even get out of the parking lot before stuffing your face.

I bet he wrecks his classic car.

My guess is he'll experience temporary blindness.

It happened to a friend of mine; he worked at the Sunoco refinery in south Philadelphia. One day he was high up in the scaffolding when his eyes just...went dark. He had to be helped down from the catwalk, about 80-feet up. Freaked him out but good.

Fortunately, his vision returned. He was quite diligent in his sugar control thereafter.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 2, 2021

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I had to dig through the old threads for that strip and I got super bummed out that there wasn't ever a The Creeps collection.

I hope the artist is doing well in whatever they're up to now.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i miss the creeps.

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

SubNat posted:

Moominposting

They contacted a billions of years old alien intelligence and then claimed responsibility over it and didn't ask it any relevant questions.

They terraformed the planet while they were there, and no one's quite sure how they did that.

They subsequently lost all uncontaminated samples of the pre-terraformed Mars that they took, through their own incompetence.

They've awakened the murderous Martian mermaids which probably means that no follow-on missions will be accepted.

They did manage to get Mars to save human civilization, though, so that probably balances the scales for now.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

It looks like this is the end of Nancy dunking on Sputter until next February... I thought he came back more often than that, but I guess not!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Sputter has been hilariously petty enough to bounce off Nancy perfectly. He should be brought back for modern day Nancy.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

It's pretty rare to get a far side that doesn't land anymore.

But this one doesn't land anymore.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

maltesh posted:

They contacted a billions of years old alien intelligence and then claimed responsibility over it and didn't ask it any relevant questions.

They terraformed the planet while they were there, and no one's quite sure how they did that.

They subsequently lost all uncontaminated samples of the pre-terraformed Mars that they took, through their own incompetence.

They've awakened the murderous Martian mermaids which probably means that no follow-on missions will be accepted.

They did manage to get Mars to save human civilization, though, so that probably balances the scales for now.
At first I thought this was about Moomins.

Surgeon's Tales

(That's Torsten's sister Ebba)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georg_Heinrich_von_G%C3%B6rtz

Nancy

Dustin

"My son has aspirations? Time to shoot him down."

Mandrake

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä

lmao

This is super great, and also congrats in preserving the double meaning through the translation.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

ikanreed posted:

It's pretty rare to get a far side that doesn't land anymore.

But this one doesn't land anymore.
But on the other hand:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä

Long setup but that was great

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Green Intern posted:

Don't forget that the Medical Officer and the Granddaughter are the same person, because time travel.
I forgot that. Now that strip makes more sense and I hate it more.

Doomykins posted:

Sputter has been hilariously petty enough to bounce off Nancy perfectly. He should be brought back for modern day Nancy.
I agree. I think arguably he could carry/have carried a strip of his own as well.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

I don't think I like this narrator-with-personality we get sometimes in this strip.

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 2, 2021

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

seriously, what happened with the boat explosion and all that in mark trail, didn’t the cops go after him? or was that a vision/hallucination/fakeout

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Yeah I'm still having a hard time suspending my disbelief on this. Even if Mark Trail is white, he destroyed at least two boats (maybe three?) and a helicopter and I feel like the pilot of the helicopter probably did not jump out just before the explosion. How is Mark not on the run from the police right now? They know it was him, it's not like his identity was hidden.

I just really don't see a satisfying explanation for what happened unless the strip comes out and says "Yeah Mark imagined the whole thing, he got beat up by a cop and told 'don't do it again' before he did any real damage." But so far it seems like we're supposed to take the events at face value which I can't do.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
The answer to "Why isn't the boat explosion immediately catching up with Mark Trail" is "It is a newspaper comic strip, I should really just relax."

Also, it's Florida, that was like the 8th boat chase ending in an explosion that the cops were involved in that day.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I actually just really like the idea that Mark Trail is some terrible force of chaos who leaves boat wrecks in his wake.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

I don't think I like this narrator-with-personality we get sometimes in this strip.

I'm reading it in Boris Karloff's voice and it's been great.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

JethroMcB posted:

The answer to "Why isn't the boat explosion immediately catching up with Mark Trail" is "It is a newspaper comic strip, I should really just relax."

Also, it's Florida, that was like the 8th boat chase ending in an explosion that the cops were involved in that day.

i’m not sure the mst mantra fits in a thread where we generally don’t just relax about comics. i get you, though, i guess it’s possible we’ll find out soon enough

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Green Intern posted:

I'm reading it in Boris Karloff's voice and it's been great.

loving pro-tip right here

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I cannot wait to see more of this storyline about ~personal responsibility~ and never have them ever show something like Buck finding out his insurance has changed what insulin they cover and not tell him, again, leading to a heath crisis as he can’t fill his prescriptions or get new ones for weeks. Buck carefully rationing his meds. Buck being told to his face he’s not taking care of himself enough to get an insulin pump. Some real Diabetes problems.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I don't think new Trail is written with a tone wacky enough to justify 7-8 digits in property damage as a gag. We're reading a serious story about close family fracturing over a father being a crook and a son reporting it for principles of justice and truth. And then, even with the talking animals thing, we're gonna pull a 3 outta 5 on the Family Guy gag scale? Peter walks off screen and everybody forgets it happened?

It's not a big deal or worst author ever, it just really sticks out. And yeah that helicopter is dead. Maybe in a week of strips it'll catch up to Mark and everything will make sense in hindsight.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Blueberry: Burninating all the peasants ranchers in their THATCH ROOF COTTAGES!!!, or While scalping has been used as a plot function in countless western pieces of fiction, scalping was a real-life practice found throughout the world - the earliest records of the practice can be found in writings from Greek antiquity, but it was certainly more common in the old world to take people's heads. The act of scalping was a practice done by some native peoples of North America before the arrival of Colombus (mass graves dated to the 1300s near Crow Creek in South Dakota showed corpses with scalping injuries), but it expanded with the implementation of bounties, paid to both native peoples and to white settlers, for the scalps of tribes of people deemed to be undesirable to the colonial powers establishing themselves in the New World, or Blueberry is a sanguine man, much to Graig's unappreciated fortune...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

jeremy you could have easily explained the concept of a digital audio workstation in the time it took to do all this complaining