Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I only play with friends because watching others reactions is more fun.

That's what I tell myself as I expediently exit a location after discovering the ghost is a revenant while cursing in non-trigger words and refuse to enter again. Not because I'm scared, just cause it's prudent.

Yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I hosed around and found out with a Revenant exactly once and now I have a healthy respect for hunts until I figure out whether it is a Revenant or not

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Beasteh posted:

I hosed around and found out with a Revenant exactly once and now I have a healthy respect for hunts until I figure out whether it is a Revenant or not

I also recommend you extend this respect to Jinn. If I have even a whiff of it being a Jinn (even if it might be a Mare instead) I slam the breaker off in the location. You aren't running me down you Jinn rear end in a top hat!

until it turns the breaker back on itself right before initiating a hunt

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Is there a definitive way to know if a ghost is hunting you? I don't mean the activity level in the van either. I see so many streamers not even flinch when a ghost appears/croaks before them, like they know when it's hunting and when it's not. I'm guessing it's the flashlight flickering as the giveaway?

Edit: VVV Thank you, and yup I was more talking about hunting in general. VVV

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 17, 2020

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?
yep! flashlight flickering is how you know a hunt starts. i'm not sure how to tell if a ghost is hunting you, specifically, other than it chasing you down.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

It's worth noting that every other light in the location can be flashing, but if your flashlight isn't, it's not a hunt. The UV flashlight will also flicker during a hunt, incidentally.

spoilers for a relatively new patch change regarding dead players, in case people want to find out themselves through experimentation:

Played this past weekend with my regular group, and I didn't tell anyone else that dead players can move stuff now. One other of the four of us also watches the patch notes, so he knew. I died in the first contract, in one of the farmhouses, and spent the rest of the round moving every beer can I could find into the truck, and added a voodoo doll right before the other three came back to the truck to leave. The other guy guessed what was going on but played dumb, and our other two team mates spent a few very puzzled minutes trying to figure out how the hell all that crap got there, since all three of them were in the location for most of the round after I died.

We also played an Asylum and had a player die somewhere off in the boonies. I couldn't find his body, and eventually was led to it by a magical coffee cup that kept disappearing, then reappearing a few feet in front of me. In another round, myself and another dead player made an arrow of crap to point the other two players to where we left the ghost writing book since one of us moved it right before dying.

tl;dr dead players being able to interact with stuff is deeply stupid and a lot of fun.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Primer on how to fail at kiting a Ghost, and what to do when you fail:

https://clips.twitch.tv/RamshackleBusyPancakeBabyRage

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I know it's only been in the beta branch for a day or two, but anybody played the Prison yet? I like it a lot, I think it's a step in the right direction in terms of larger level design, compared to the high school/asylum. It's a medium map like the high school, but has much more distinct and separate areas, rather than just being a big loop with a bunch of identical rooms.

We played two contracts in the Prison tonight and both were pretty creepy, one we found the ghost right away because it happened to turn on a faucet, the other took more looking with some distractions due to us still figuring out which ambient sounds were caused by the ghost. We had one ghost in one of the cell blocks, and it did some... interesting things. I'm not certain how or where you get fingerprint evidence if the ghost is haunting one of the cells, though.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Prison good. Feels about the same size as the high school but with a lot more room variety and a lot more props so ghosts can do things other than ringing the phone over and over, and the layout means there's a lot less downtime spent just walking back and forth to where you're going to be investigating. The cells count as individual rooms so it's tricky to figure out which one is the actual ghost room when it's wandering around doing things in the neighbouring cells and spilling cold into the rest of the cell block, which is an interesting problem that doesn't really happen on other maps. We ended up setting up a tripod camera covering our three suspect cells and found that ghost orbs were only spawning in one of them.

Also the night vision on the cameras has been changed and is a lot clearer and a lot easier on the eyes now.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Tehan posted:

The cells count as individual rooms so it's tricky to figure out which one is the actual ghost room when it's wandering around doing things in the neighbouring cells and spilling cold into the rest of the cell block, which is an interesting problem that doesn't really happen on other maps.

finally a reason(other than mission objectives) to bring salt and motion/light sensors!

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm not certain how or where you get fingerprint evidence if the ghost is haunting one of the cells, though.

We got cell fingerprints in our first match, it was one big fat thumbprint on top of a horizontal crossbar on the sliding cell door.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

So is this pretty much dead? I just found out about this game a week ago and started playing. Do goons no longer really play this?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Dear Prudence posted:

So is this pretty much dead? I just found out about this game a week ago and started playing. Do goons no longer really play this?

You still get semi-regular groups getting spooked on the co-op goons discord!

Speaking personally I'm waiting for a bit more of a substantial update and with a lot more activity from the dev it shouldn't be too far off. Also the forever problem of having many other equally good games to play. Usually I'll join in if there's a spot if the Get Spooky call goes out though.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I've been tracking the beta developments and they're pretty cool. They spoil a bit of the fun since they tell you about solid game mechanics, and the game is best played while in the dark (heh) about the stuff under the hood.

Still, the dev is definitely actively working on it, so while it's slow progress, it's steady progress. The game is still wicked fun, too.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

The thermometer nerf and change to hunting behavior has significantly upped the pucker factor.

My group used to use the thermometer to get a bead on the location, but now everything is back to square one.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I played a bit of this for the first time in a while because my buddy and I both got Quest 2's and wanted to see how it was in VR. It's definitely a lot spookier when you're walking into a building in VR but the inventory system leaves something to be desired IMO. I kept dropping poo poo because there's really no feedback for when you put something on your belt to store it, and while VR mode does let you hold two things at once, you can't use the walkie talkie with something in your hand. So walking into a darkened building with a flashlight in my left hand and a thermometer in my right, to tell my friend stuff was happening I had to find somewhere to put one of the things down so I could make the call over the walkie talkie. Not a huge deal but a bit wonky. I probably won't be going back until there's been more changes to the game but not because it's bad or anything, we just kinda got sick of the formula after playing it for so long across a couple of weeks.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Bioshuffle posted:

The thermometer nerf and change to hunting behavior has significantly upped the pucker factor.

My group used to use the thermometer to get a bead on the location, but now everything is back to square one.

What has changed?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Elendil004 posted:

What has changed?

spoiling this in case people want to find out for themselves.

Thermometer:
The thermometer takes longer to update the temperature (up from 1 sec to 3 secs, I think), there's more variation in temps, and the temperature in the rooms and the location in general can now change drastically. If the power is out in the location, all the rooms will slowly go down in temp until they're in the "cold" (sub 10C or 50F) range, which makes it hard to pinpoint the ghost room again. Only the ghost room will ever drop into freezing, though, I believe. Also if you play on Professional, the location starts with the power off, so every room is cold when you walk in and they slowly come up to normal temps once the power is on.

Hunts:
The ghosts can now open doors more readily (it seems, I can't confirm this), more actively search rooms, follow you around corners even if you break line of sight, search the last place they saw a player and nearby areas, and most terrifyingly, now open lockers and closets more easily. You have to hold lockers and closets closed now to prevent the ghost from just blowing them open. I think they also generally improved the ghost AI and player detection for hunts, so they don't just kind of randomly bop from room to room if there was no one in their vicinity when the hunt started.

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 28, 2021

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
I was holding doors closed already, didn't realize that it wasn't really doing much. Good that the ghosts are getting spoopier. The thermometer change on Professional is REALLY valid, using the therm to hunt for the room at the very beginning made it significantly easier.

I think the reason you're seeing so much less talk about it now is because the cluster of things that led to it getting high attention before has passed. It was super fun to play during October because ghost hunting during spoopymonth. And because it was so new, you could play a lot and it was still exciting and scary when the ghost breathed into your ear. Now that there's been some time, goons are playing less so there's less chatter. There's still people in the co-op group looking for players on the regular, but it's less than during October.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

MockingQuantum posted:

spoiling this in case people want to find out for themselves.

Thermometer:
The thermometer takes longer to update the temperature (up from 1 sec to 3 secs, I think), there's more variation in temps, and the temperature in the rooms and the location in general can now change drastically. If the power is out in the location, all the rooms will slowly go down in temp until they're in the "cold" (sub 10C or 50F) range, which makes it hard to pinpoint the ghost room again. Only the ghost room will ever drop into freezing, though, I believe. Also if you play on Professional, the location starts with the power off, so every room is cold when you walk in and they slowly come up to normal temps once the power is on.

I use the thermometer usually right off the bat and it's still pretty good at being the first detector of the ghost room. Playing on professional, I routinely get temperatures between 57-60 when going into the map to start. They don't start cold like you're saying.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Dear Prudence posted:

I use the thermometer usually right off the bat and it's still pretty good at being the first detector of the ghost room. Playing on professional, I routinely get temperatures between 57-60 when going into the map to start. They don't start cold like you're saying.

The temperature changes are currently only active on the Beta branch on Professional difficulty maps. If you haven't chosen to use the Beta build, then you won't see those changes yet.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Oh yeah I forgot that was all on beta branch. It'll almost certainly make it in to the main build more or less as it is now though, the last few updates have just been tweaking values rather than changing the new behaviors. The Professional change is probably the biggest improvement IMO, it made it feel like early days again, before my group got it down to a reliable science.

edit: especially if you're dummies like us and forget to check where the breaker is before we all go rushing to opposite ends of the Prison

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Just started playing this last week with my wife and caught up on the thread. Lots of spoops, very fun. Had to watch a couple people play to get an idea of what we're even supposed to do during a hunt (and what a hunt is, etc). So far whenever a hunt started we were just beelining to the exit and panicking trying to open it until one of us died lol

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Just started playing this last week with my wife and caught up on the thread. Lots of spoops, very fun. Had to watch a couple people play to get an idea of what we're even supposed to do during a hunt (and what a hunt is, etc). So far whenever a hunt started we were just beelining to the exit and panicking trying to open it until one of us died lol

hahaha.

my friend just started playing and she stood there and said, "hey my flashlight is flickering" while the rest of us ran away

i've been playing beta. is it just me or is it way harder to get the ghosts to manifest (unless it's an oni)? i feel like i've been yelling the stupid ghost's name and "show yourself" and not getting anything besides hunts. we've tried antagonizing the ghost with everyone around and with only one person on different maps.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

MockingQuantum posted:

Hunts:
The ghosts can now open doors more readily (it seems, I can't confirm this), more actively search rooms, follow you around corners even if you break line of sight, search the last place they saw a player and nearby areas, and most terrifyingly, now open lockers and closets more easily. You have to hold lockers and closets closed now to prevent the ghost from just blowing them open. I think they also generally improved the ghost AI and player detection for hunts, so they don't just kind of randomly bop from room to room if there was no one in their vicinity when the hunt started.

Catsworth and Slowbeef play together once every week and this happened:

https://twitter.com/AmigoLupus/status/1356099201243836416

:allears:

amigolupus fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 2, 2021

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

durrneez posted:

hahaha.

my friend just started playing and she stood there and said, "hey my flashlight is flickering" while the rest of us ran away

i've been playing beta. is it just me or is it way harder to get the ghosts to manifest (unless it's an oni)? i feel like i've been yelling the stupid ghost's name and "show yourself" and not getting anything besides hunts. we've tried antagonizing the ghost with everyone around and with only one person on different maps.

I don't know if it's a bug or just some ghosts are really shy but certain ghost types really feel like they don't want to manifest, or if they do they do it in an awkward spot you won't notice and then immediately disappear after. Hell, anecdotally the ghost type I generally have the most trouble seeing manifest is the Phantom and it is literally the "when it reveals itself you lose shitloads of insanity if you look at it".

amigolupus posted:

Catsworth and Slowbeef play together once every week and this happened:

https://clips.twitch.tv/IgnorantUgliestGazelle

:allears:

That link is dead for me, just an fyi.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Haha last night my wife and I were playing with a friend, and on our last contract he and I spent like 5 minutes straight trying to get it to appear (we already knew at that point it was a wraith). We were chanting his name, insulting it, swearing at it, etc., but nothing worked. The temps got freezing and it threw some stuff around, but didn't do anything until my wife came in from the van to set up a motion sensor. The instant she set it up, a hunt began and the ghost materialized and killed her. It then did two more hunts in a row, and we were only just barely able to step out of the house in time to avoid the last hunt. I got some footage of it that I'll upload later, it was fun.

Game good.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

:yeah:

Evil Kit posted:

I don't know if it's a bug or just some ghosts are really shy but certain ghost types really feel like they don't want to manifest, or if they do they do it in an awkward spot you won't notice and then immediately disappear after. Hell, anecdotally the ghost type I generally have the most trouble seeing manifest is the Phantom and it is literally the "when it reveals itself you lose shitloads of insanity if you look at it".

same! phantom and shade i have the most difficulty with.

my gimmick is using the spirit box to ask the ghost if it’s horny. ive gotten “nothing detected” previous patches. for the past couple of weeks, the ghost has been responding (if it’s a spirit box-type ghost)!!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

if the game knows that you spoke but it is not able to recognize your words, it will use a default response

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Evil Kit posted:

That link is dead for me, just an fyi.

Fixed, thanks.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

durrneez posted:

:yeah:

my gimmick is using the spirit box to ask the ghost if it’s horny. ive gotten “nothing detected” previous patches. for the past couple of weeks, the ghost has been responding (if it’s a spirit box-type ghost)!!

E

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

durrneez posted:

we've tried antagonizing the ghost with everyone around and with only one person on different maps.

I think it's very heavily RNG dependent. I've run into demons who won't start hunts. The game was starting to become super routine, with thermometers basically pushing the game into phase 2, but with the recent changes I feel like I'm playing again for the first time.

What are your strategies now that you can't just run around with the thermometer? With the rooms starting off super cold and gradually warming up, does this mean thermometers become useful later on if you still haven't located the ghost room?

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Feb 3, 2021

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
In beta, ghosts seem WAY more aggressive lately. I played with my friends this past weekend and we had a full party wipe from a poltergeist of all things. It was wild.

I like to wander around with a spirit box until the power is on, and then sweep for EMF stuff since the thermo change. It's actually great how they've done it, we've actually misidentified the room a few times and then got our cheeks clapped for our troubles. 10/10 changes, game continues to own.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
We had a banshee last night that did NOT want to come out and play, I thought it was really weird until I remembered I threw down a cross in the room. But the cross should only stop hunts, right? Has nothing to do with how active they are otherwise, at least that's what I thought.

All we got was freezing temps. No fingerprints anywhere that we could find, and absolutely no EMF readings (even when she appeared right next to me, turned towards me and walked through me). She started a hunt, but it was a really short one and ended in like 10 seconds or something. In the end we had to go through the journal and identify her by process of elimination based on freezing temperatures, and what we 100% weren't able to get (no spirit box, no ghost orbs, no writing, chalked up no EMF to a bug since she definitely showed up when I was pointing the EMF at her)

Does that happen often, or was that contract bugged? It felt great to figure out the banshee that way, like a deeper level of investigation and deduction than simply "run in, ghost does The Thing with your inventory item, get 3 and win". Might be cool to have the occasional ghost that is reluctant to do one or two of the things they're known for, forcing you to use a little more logic.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Evidence I'm willing to believe have bugged out based on playing the game a lot via ranking system from most often to least seen:

1) Ghost Orbs
2) Ghost Orbs
3) Ghost Orbs
4) Ghost Orbs
5) EMF 5
6) Ghost Orbs
7) Spirit Box
8) Ghost Writing
9) Fingerprints

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
I think it's less bugging out, and more investigation difficulties. The ghost has a location at all times, even when it's invisible. The ghost orbs spawn around it, meaning that when the ghost is wandering the orbs can be present in places that are far away from the "haunt room". With that and the randomness of dropping fingerprints or EMF reaching 5 (it's proximity, not aim) or the book being placed in the right spot for the ghost to find and write in it? I think it's a program glitch less often than people think.

In terms of professional difficulty under the beta branch, I go in with an EMF reader and a motion detector. I carry the EMF out while I'm turning on the power and for a few minutes after, listening for noises that tell me a bored ghost is knocking things about. If I get EMF readings or think I've found the room, I'll drop the motion detector so it shows up on the map. That makes it easier for team members to find and helps with objectives. Then I go back for the thermo to confirm if I think I have the room or to start the methodical search if I don't have any clues.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Cobbsprite posted:

EMF reaching 5 (it's proximity, not aim)

The banshee literally walked through me while I was holding the EMF sensor and it was at 1 the whole time. It never responded to a single thing that happened, even when the hunt started or things were being knocked to the floor right in front of me

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Weirdly since the thermometer got nerfed, I think we've mostly found the ghost room through direct interaction, which is kind of cool. We had one game where the ghost closed the door of the room with one of us inside and started chucking things, which was a fun way to figure out where it was.

EMF 5 is weird, it has more to do with the specific level of activity than proximity to the ghost. You basically need to have an EMF meter by a ghost when it's highly active but not hunting. They actually changed how the activity graph responds to obscure EMF 5 events, because you used to be able to identify when you should have gotten an EMF 5 event by how sharply the activity meter rose to activity 4, or if you had level 10 activity but no hunt. Now it's not as clear, and I think you can register a level 10 without EMF 5 if it's in reaction to a ghost trying to start a hunt but being prevented by a crucifix.

I don't really know a sure-fire way to get EMF 5 if you're going to get it. We usually get it from patience and luck, or from provoking the ghost. It's still the most likely one for us to guess on, though ghost orbs have also been a crapshoot for us. At least they seem to be trying a lot of fixes to make ghost orbs more reliable, mostly by making sure they don't spawn in the walls or distant corners of a room, lol.

Cobbsprite posted:

The ghost orbs spawn around it, meaning that when the ghost is wandering the orbs can be present in places that are far away from the "haunt room".

I don't think this is true, all the patch notes suggest they spawn separately from the ghost. It's possible to see them in other rooms because they'll sometimes spawn next to (or inside of) walls, but that's a bug. We've even gotten them on the floor above the ghost room due to the orbs spawning up near the ceiling, but they've always been stationary regardless of where the ghost is at any given time.

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

The banshee literally walked through me while I was holding the EMF sensor and it was at 1 the whole time. It never responded to a single thing that happened, even when the hunt started or things were being knocked to the floor right in front of me

The EMF reader only 'reads' the point/area at which the ghost -starts- the hunt, with a few reads early in the hunt. While they're wandering, you don't typically get EMF readings.

EDIT: Ghost orbs originate vaguely where the ghost room is, and can swoop in random directions, sometimes appearing just outside the intended area. The orbs themselves 'travel' a bit, but not with the ghost itself. If you watch where you've already seen ghost orbs, they keep spawning there, even during a hunt.

EDIT 2: Re: EMF 5 specifically, EMF 5 can occur whenever any other EMF event happens with a high random chance. The EMF reader actually tells you exactly what a ghost has been doing:
1: Nothin'
2: Ghost touched something
3: Ghost moved a physics object (I think this can also happen with a few other events, but physics stuff is the only specific thing I know of)
4: Ghost manifested or otherwise caused an 'event'
5: Randomly replaces any of the above, but is evidence of specific ghost types, the lower number will still appear at a larger radius around the given event.

Aqua_D fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 3, 2021