Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

AfroSquirrel posted:

If only the Commander seat was Pilot. Let me spin a Cruiser around with Pilot maneuvers, Cryptic!
As funny as using pilot maneuvers on a big slow cruiser would be, the spec itself is largely useless for PVE. Commander MW means you can run MAS and NSB, so at least it'll do well at killing stuff.

Defiance Industries posted:

Is there something that says how long I have to wait until I can get another event credit? I could swear it's been 0 hours but I did the dumb STF and nothing.
In the events tab of the journal, right above the line showing total progress there should be a countdown letting you know when the daily requirement resets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Yeah there's definitely been nothing there all day, but I'm not doing another one of these dumb timed things to see if it gets better somehow

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ugh what's the best way to load up on decent klankside doffs cheap.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Do you mean like useful ones or just roster-filling schlubs to throw at missions? If the latter, visit the academy and do all the doff recruitment missions as they're available. Takes a bit of time but costs nothing and pads out the roster with whites and greens.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh yeah, I forgot about those!

(I hit level 11 on my new klank recruit, gonna lazily doff some XP over time)

Thanks.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

AfroSquirrel posted:

If only the Commander seat was Pilot. Let me spin a Cruiser around with Pilot maneuvers, Cryptic!
Closest I can think of is the Cheirax, which isn't a cruiser, but at least has the weapon slots of one.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

If you have other Klingon characters with excess fleet credits, you can use them to buy the fleet starbase random doff packs for 30k each. The doffs will be unbound so you can mail them to the recruit. They're random, but only contain the base specs that were in the game when the fleet holding system was made so if you open enough you'll get a good variety.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Lorak posted:

Closest I can think of is the Cheirax, which isn't a cruiser, but at least has the weapon slots of one.

It looks great; I picked up the T5 version for cheap and used that for quite a while so a T6 pilot version sounds like it would be amazing.

greasythepirate
Aug 13, 2016
https://twitter.com/Tumerboy/status/1356253557352058884

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

... Does he think the Venn diagram circles of "bug is funny" and "bug should be fixed" don't overlap?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lol, today in things not worth whining about on Twitter

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

That Twitter thread will be gone soon. Tacofangs does this regularly - passively-aggressively whine about how mean and horrible the community is on Twitter, and then deletes it after he gets a backlash from attacking the community, rather than the supportive response that he is seeking.

I mean, the community is undoubtedly awful overall, but the devs really do want the best of both worlds when it comes to interacting with them - they want the ego-massaging supportive tweets telling them how great the content they produce is, without having to deal with any negativity from the fans/players about the parts that aren't so great (and whose play experience is spoilt as a result).

Even ThomastheCat, who by all accounts is a pretty good chap overall, made a dumb comment a few months back saying that they basically only sought positive feedback on the new ships they developed - if the designs weren't to your taste your comments weren't welcome, even polite/constructive ones.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Is that the guy that thinks posting a screenshot from outside ESD is a personal attack or is this a different giant baby?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tigey posted:

That Twitter thread will be gone soon. Tacofangs does this regularly - passively-aggressively whine about how mean and horrible the community is on Twitter, and then deletes it after he gets a backlash from attacking the community, rather than the supportive response that he is seeking.

I mean, the community is undoubtedly awful overall, but the devs really do want the best of both worlds when it comes to interacting with them - they want the ego-massaging supportive tweets telling them how great the content they produce is, without having to deal with any negativity from the fans/players about the parts that aren't so great (and whose play experience is spoilt as a result).

Even ThomastheCat, who by all accounts is a pretty good chap overall, made a dumb comment a few months back saying that they basically only sought positive feedback on the new ships they developed - if the designs weren't to your taste your comments weren't welcome, even polite/constructive ones.

See also Kael, who whines whenever players talk about wanting to kill the villains.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
I want the Legendary Excelsior so bad but not at the spend a :wtc: amount of Zen level of want :saddowns: .

Lacermonia
May 15, 2002

The whole game is a list of things that will never get fixed because of lovely programming. He should be lucky that someone thinks its funny.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Imagine working on Star Trek Online and being super-sensitive about people pointing out bugs.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Well, do you mean bugs which are funny or bugs that you want fixed? It can't be both.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Huh the free Klingon recruit ship has Withering Barrage, time to grind.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah it's not as good as the actual disco BOP but its surprisingly generous for a freebie, especially since it's account unlocked.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Asimo posted:

Yeah it's not as good as the actual disco BOP but its surprisingly generous for a freebie, especially since it's account unlocked.
Also, unlike the actual disco BoP, it doesn't look like it has a giant ballsack. The disco BoP is one of those ships that only looks good from certain angles, and the default angle you see in the game in not one of them.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Well, got the ship, just need to grind my Klingon to level 65, unlock the ship for my main, realize that I could just switch to AP cannon instead, and upgrade a whole new set of weapons.

:negative:

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Well, got the ship, just need to grind my Klingon to level 65, unlock the ship for my main, realize that I could just switch to AP cannon instead, and upgrade a whole new set of weapons.

If it makes things any simpler, you could move existing gear to that account using the account bank, if it's bound to account instead of character, as long as you don't mind putting a ship (or character) into uselessness while you work on the Klingon. You could also get them up to 11 and just use lock box doff packs and missions to push it to 65 if you have spares lying around.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

g0del posted:

Also, unlike the actual disco BoP, it doesn't look like it has a giant ballsack. The disco BoP is one of those ships that only looks good from certain angles, and the default angle you see in the game in not one of them.
Luckily once you get the recruit one you can slap its skin on the Disco BOP too. Win-win! :pseudo:

But yeah every goddamn discovery klank ship is hideous, doesn't look remotely klingon, or usually both. Cryptic did a good job rendering them in game but they didn't have a lot to work with.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

The ship's unlocked as soon as you get it on the recruit, you just need to have spent 15+ spec points on an alt to claim it from the temporal operative guy in ESD/Qo'nos with them.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Asimo posted:

Luckily once you get the recruit one you can slap its skin on the Disco BOP too. Win-win! :pseudo:

But yeah every goddamn discovery klank ship is hideous, doesn't look remotely klingon, or usually both. Cryptic did a good job rendering them in game but they didn't have a lot to work with.

The ship's unlocked as soon as you get it on the recruit, you just need to have spent 15+ spec points on an alt to claim it from the temporal operative guy in ESD/Qo'nos with them.

Well my guy is a Fed-aligned Romulan so I assume I need the cross-faction unlock?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Oh, right. Just assumed everyone here would have multiple 65s of every faction already.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Asimo posted:

Oh, right. Just assumed everyone here would have multiple 65s of every faction already.

I have one 65 Fed. All other alts were abandoned completely at the commencement of the rep system because it's all the same endgame content anyway. I guess they're item overflow, potentially. They don't clutter up fleet rosters though, I think.

Helps having an "alien" race because you can visually make it a lot of different things.

Yes a sci captain is trash compared to a tac but at least its not an eng one and you get space wizard ground clickies :v:

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

DancingShade posted:

I have one 65 Fed. All other alts were abandoned completely at the commencement of the rep system because it's all the same endgame content anyway. I guess they're item overflow, potentially. They don't clutter up fleet rosters though, I think.

Helps having an "alien" race because you can visually make it a lot of different things.

Yes a sci captain is trash compared to a tac but at least its not an eng one and you get space wizard ground clickies :v:

Bah, my main captain is an Engineer and they do wonderfully at science shenanigans in space.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is Defense of Starbase One leaving the game after the current event is over?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Is Defense of Starbase One leaving the game after the current event is over?

Nah, it's a fairly old TFO at this point.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hunter Noventa posted:

Nah, it's a fairly old TFO at this point.

Good! The description made it seem like it was only temporary. It's the only good group content though.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

Good! The description made it seem like it was only temporary. It's the only good group content though.
They're probably just going to remove the ability to solo-queue it.

For anyone who doesn't know, you can currently solo-queue it, and it can be completed AFK. The trick is when it starts, cloak (if available), turn around, and full impulse as far away as you can get. After that you can go do something else for 10 minutes, then come back to collect your marks and event completion credit.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

g0del posted:

For anyone who doesn't know, you can currently solo-queue it, and it can be completed AFK. The trick is when it starts, cloak (if available), turn around, and full impulse as far away as you can get. After that you can go do something else for 10 minutes, then come back to collect your marks and event completion credit.

I wasn't aware this was a thing. :aaaaa: All of a sudden I see myself getting multiple new characters to level 65 this month.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Is there a good KDF C-store ship for space wizarding? Turns out klankroms don't count for the "fly whatever" unlock and I would like to try wizarding as a horrible spacepoor

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hello Sailor posted:

Is there a good KDF C-store ship for space wizarding? Turns out klankroms don't count for the "fly whatever" unlock and I would like to try wizarding as a horrible spacepoor

The gorn multi-mission science vessels, especially the tactical one. Same seats and stats as the Fed and Rom versions, and the tac one is probably the best you'll find outside of lockboxes and no longer available promo boats.

It's worth seeing if there's still an orb weaver on the exchange, too. Tier 5, but still pretty decent.

The Lukari N'kaam is also a good budget option on the exchange.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

g0del posted:

and when you do this, dont forget to up the difficulty of SB1 to Elite to get even more marks and 2 Elite marks, makes grinding the Disco reputation gear a breeze

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Cythereal posted:

The gorn multi-mission science vessels, especially the tactical one. Same seats and stats as the Fed and Rom versions, and the tac one is probably the best you'll find outside of lockboxes and no longer available promo boats.

It's worth seeing if there's still an orb weaver on the exchange, too. Tier 5, but still pretty decent.

The Lukari N'kaam is also a good budget option on the exchange.

Ooh. Not sure if it's the tac one (ahgamas surveillance?), but one of the gorn ships is 5 boffs, zero ensigns and that's always a big plus for me

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

I wasn't aware this was a thing. :aaaaa: All of a sudden I see myself getting multiple new characters to level 65 this month.
This won't level you fast, it's just a good way to get disco marks and event credit with minimal playing.

If you need to level a char fast, the secret is reseach assignments (and the new zhat vash cold cases, which aren't named research assignments just to make searching for them harder on the exchange). They're lockbox doff missions that award insane amounts of XP. The fastest way to level is to do the early story missions until you hit level 12, get some cheap doffs, then run as many of the research assignment missions as you can fit. Go do something else (or play another char) for 4 hours, then come back and claim the rewards. During XP weekend I can usually hit level 52 with 10 or so research assignments, so figure on using about 20 during normal times. After you hit level 52, admiralty missions will have you at level 65 in no time. You can keep doing the research assignments to get to level 65 if you want, but admiralty is cheaper.

Oh, and don't forget that Q's daily can get you 25k XP bonus pools. A handful of those will help you level faster. They also sell for around 3m on the exchange, so you could probably finance your research assignment binge solely through earning and selling XP pools on you other chars.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Are the new ones just named cold cases if I wanted to search for them?

As well on a more question of gearing, I have all the old romulan plasma mk12, and like dyson ship components and a lot of the older universals, like plas leech. What would be the best way to go about upgrading my gear to current end game? Slash good rep gear to target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

g0del posted:

This won't level you fast, it's just a good way to get disco marks and event credit with minimal playing.

If you need to level a char fast, the secret is reseach assignments (and the new zhat vash cold cases, which aren't named research assignments just to make searching for them harder on the exchange). They're lockbox doff missions that award insane amounts of XP. The fastest way to level is to do the early story missions until you hit level 12, get some cheap doffs, then run as many of the research assignment missions as you can fit. Go do something else (or play another char) for 4 hours, then come back and claim the rewards. During XP weekend I can usually hit level 52 with 10 or so research assignments, so figure on using about 20 during normal times. After you hit level 52, admiralty missions will have you at level 65 in no time. You can keep doing the research assignments to get to level 65 if you want, but admiralty is cheaper.

Oh, and don't forget that Q's daily can get you 25k XP bonus pools. A handful of those will help you level faster. They also sell for around 3m on the exchange, so you could probably finance your research assignment binge solely through earning and selling XP pools on you other chars.

Could I please bother you for a more detailed guide on how to do this? Like what missions to pick, and items to buy? The goal is to just be able to take on every single available mission in the Duty Officers tab, right?