Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1356689724660981767

Holy poo poo they might just gave fallen arse-backwards into success here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Borrovan posted:

Telegraph, but here: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07/02/tie-mark-ambition-jeremy-corbyn-alarmed-wearing-one-showed-craved/

I think the same guy wrote an article attacking him for not wearing a tie, but I can't find it

See this comment under that article:

quote:

As a good Bolshevik he will do anything to get into power and then do everything to stay in power. After extending the electoral cycle to 8 years, passing laws that equate anti-government speech as extremism and taking control of the media, Comrade Corbyn will ban the wearing of neck ties. Burkhas no problem of course.

Corbski never stood a chance.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/BeanoOfficial/status/1356652781315256322?s=19

Lmao

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

And here we are in 2021 where loads of people are not wearing ties to their work from home and everyone else is wearing full face coverings when they go out in public. Corbyn got exactly what he wanted.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Cap'n chat:

I wonder if that ad that has that teen/young 20 something say he never donated to Capn Tom's fund will ever see the light of day again?
I can't remember what the ad was for.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Christ well it's reassuring to know it won't be a deadly farce but lol loving hell.

That's a weird dip at 6 weeks though, I wonder what the overall impact of letting people get exposed and get it after being vaccinated rather than boosting it at the 4 week point.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Yvette Cooper is married to Ed Balls and I feel she would be instantly dismantled by leftist poo poo posters referring to her as You've ate Balls.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

gently caress me that's worse than the Dr. Doom crying at the World Trade Centre one.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Dennis the Menace would loving have that old oval office with a peashooter up the arse.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

namesake posted:

Christ well it's reassuring to know it won't be a deadly farce but lol loving hell.

That's a weird dip at 6 weeks though, I wonder what the overall impact of letting people get exposed and get it after being vaccinated rather than boosting it at the 4 week point.

Yeah, that's an odd one. I wonder if it is a behavioural thing, people thinking that because they got it on the approved schedule they were safer?

Also one factor I've no idea how they could account for is people getting infected after the first jab and it effectively being a booster if timed right?

Anyway as I believe they were going to use the AZ vaccine for the vast majority of jabs anyway (after all it's the cheapest and only needs to be stored at fridge temperatures) this is presumably going to set up another big standoff with the EU over production of the vaccine which will chuck another 5 points on the Tory vote.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I don't want to be 95% fine in 6 months, I wanna be 72% fine in 1 month.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Borrovan posted:

Telegraph, but here: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07/02/tie-mark-ambition-jeremy-corbyn-alarmed-wearing-one-showed-craved/

I think the same guy wrote an article attacking him for not wearing a tie, but I can't find it

Isn't this the snivelling old oval office Boris is planning to put in charge of the BBC at the same time as he puts Dacre in Ofcom?

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
Oh, effing hell! :aaa:

sinky posted:

Going to win the votes back with flegs, nationalism and smart suits :cripes:

The really galling thing about this is that not only is it not going to work, but they're going to do the lovely thing really shittily. You can tell because:

kustomkarkommando posted:

quote:

Among the top recommendations is: “The use of the flag, veterans, dressing smartly at the war memorial etc give voters a sense of authentic values alignment.”

Ah yes, we've focussed-grouped what we need to do to give people the sense of how authentic our values are!

That will really resonate with...nobody.

It's not like there's absolutely zero ground to stand on between "Death to Nations, Storm St. James Palace, Bum The Poppy and Up the 'RA!!!" and wrapping yourself up in the Union Jack, having a veteran in every photo opportunity, and have Starmer do intensive yoga so he can bend his entire upper body into an acute angle before the Cenotaph while wearing six poppies each made up of six smaller poppies.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

My FB news feed right now from one of my old school groups (I was an army brat for a while).

Someone said that he supported immigration and made the gammons froth.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

just going to install one of these outside the front door to go off on a timer

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think the south african strain, or a similar one with the same adaptations could end up being another big wrinkle in the saga before Covid gets put in the bin but I am believing more and more we might not be living in a state of existential terror by the end of the summer. The Tories are probably going to make hay out of being the vaccine saviors but then looking at the opposition, does it even really matter?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

kecske posted:

just going to install one of these outside the front door to go off on a timer

Are we supposed to be clapping for anything at the moment? Didn't they try and restart it a few weeks ago and it lasted one time?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Well, that Guardian article isn't particularly wrong:

The Guardian posted:

Presenting the strategy last month – including research on the party’s brand by agency Republic dating from September – the party’s head of research said voters were confused about “what we stand for, and what our purpose is, but also who we represent”.

His slides featured comments from the focus groups such as: “I don’t know anything about the Labour party at the moment, they have been way too quiet” and “he [Starmer] needs to stop sitting on the fence”.

Voters see this fog as deliberate and cynical, top officials have been told, proving that Starmer and his team are “not being forthright and honest … about where we want to be”.

I wonder if this leak is part of a deliberate push to get Starmer to do something? There's been definite murmurings of discontent among the Sensible Centrist commentariat of late.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Borrovan posted:

I guess you could have a double chocolate cookie coated in chocolate
This sounds relevant to my interests.

Borrovan posted:

haha good satire
:negative:

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Wonder what it's like for the pfizer one.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Because when i think about politics I just want someone to stand on stage in a fancy suit with lots of flags and clap.

I want exactly the same thing from politics that I want from loving ant and dec on the TV or whatever.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Are we supposed to be clapping for anything at the moment? Didn't they try and restart it a few weeks ago and it lasted one time?

Twitter apparently thinks we need to clap for captain tom.

Presumably to scare the ghost back to the otherworld or something I dunno how the funeral rites go.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's gonna be a whole generation of people whose response to every event is to clap about it.

Like doing the sign of the cross at people.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

OwlFancier posted:

flagfuckers really are just disgustingly pathetic people.

:agreed:

If Labour goes full vexillosexual they're not worth voting for anymore.
Literally on the way to becoming red Tories at that point.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Because when i think about politics I just want someone to stand on stage in a fancy suit with lots of flags and clap.

I want exactly the same thing from politics that I want from loving ant and dec on the TV or whatever.

Twitter apparently thinks we need to clap for captain tom.

Presumably to scare the ghost back to the otherworld or something I dunno how the funeral rites go.

I missed that, I'm staying off twitter again for a while before my blood bursts from my head.
Just reading tweets from here without signing in.

Clapping the dead for some reason makes me think of those Chinese 'hopping vampire' films.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

This sounds relevant to my interests.

haha good satire
:negative:

Wonder what it's like for the pfizer one.

I was wondering that. Most of the old dears round me who have had the first jab have had pfizer because they've only just started doing it in the GPs so the oldies went off to some big tent in Cwmbran and got pfizerd.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If Tom wants to hop after Tories and drain whatever passes for lifeforce until they fund the NHS I'll clap for that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Instructions unclear, injected grandma with Tizer.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Pistol_Pete posted:

Well, that Guardian article isn't particularly wrong:

I wonder if this leak is part of a deliberate push to get Starmer to do something? There's been definite murmurings of discontent among the Sensible Centrist commentariat of late.

From that article:

quote:

The strategy also suggests the party fears Boris Johnson’s lasting “relatability” could maintain his popularity with the country

How do people relate to ANYTHING about Boris Johnson? I'm completely at a loss.

If people really do believe all those things that article claims they believe then Britain is a lost cause.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

My FB news feed right now from one of my old school groups (I was an army brat for a while).

Someone said that he supported immigration and made the gammons froth.

What is it with UK pro military poppy waving things "accidentally" using blatant stock photo images of US soldiers with US equipment.

Like do actual squaddies notice this poo poo and call it out as dumb?

Edit: for the obvious US Army Combat Uniform shirt in their digital Universal Camouflage Pattern. If the rifle and helmet wasn't enough.

Desiderata fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 2, 2021

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Cap'n chat:

I wonder if that ad that has that teen/young 20 something say he never donated to Capn Tom's fund will ever see the light of day again?

He did do a charity bake sale though!

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

I'm in Bristol and got the Oxford AstraZenica vaccine and the nearest booking slot I had for my second was 11 weeks afterwards so I don't know if that's standard for the UK in general.

Desiderata posted:

What is it with UK pro military poppy waving things "accidentally" using blatant stock photo images of US soldiers with US equipment.

Like to actual squaddies notice this poo poo and call it out as dumb?

All the US movies have poisoned everyones brain to assume their military looks like the USA army.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

BalloonFish posted:

Ah yes, we've focussed-grouped what we need to do to give people the sense of how authentic our values are!

Authentic values wallets! pre-inspected

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

suck my woke dick posted:

:agreed:

If Labour goes full vexillosexual they're not worth voting for anymore.
Literally on the way to becoming red Tories at that point.

It's incredibly dumb because it's picking a fight on ground that Labour literally never can beat the Tories on. Everyone in Britain knows that flag-waving, poppy-brandishing, Spitfire-worshipping thing belongs to the Tories and they'll always Poppy harder than Labour can.

The only outcome will be smirking interviewers peppering sweating shadow front bench nonentities with questions like: "So exactly how much does your heart swell when you see the Union Flag fluttering in the breeze?" and they'll respond with how their heart literally bursts out of their chests with pride and absolitely everyone watching will know what utter cynical nonsense they're spouting.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I got jabbed with Pfizer on Friday, wife's getting hers on Saturday.

SHoulder is stilla tiny bit tender, but the worst of the side effects were doen by sunday and they weren't bad.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

I got jabbed with Pfizer on Friday, wife's getting hers on Saturday.

SHoulder is stilla tiny bit tender, but the worst of the side effects were doen by sunday and they weren't bad.

Yeah the worst I got was a sore arm and feeling a bit woozy the day I got it but I've known some who felt like poo poo and regretted getting it,which I don't get because it's healthcare you're going to get the jag.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Desiderata posted:

Like to actual squaddies notice this poo poo and call it out as dumb?

Yes, all the time.

It's mostly because these sorts of things are created and shared by people who are doing it entirely performatively (virtue signalling) so they don't know or care about actually finding a picture of one of Are Boys or another sort of Grate British Troop, they just type 'kneeling soldier' into google and that's good enough. They've shown how much they care (which is true, but not in the way they think...) and used the image of military personnel to be a passive mouthpiece for whatever lovely message they've put around them in impact font.

One level up from that is the fact that because:

namesake posted:

All the US movies have poisoned everyones brain to assume their military looks like the USA army.

a fair portion of people will google "British soldier" will find an image of a 25-year old lance corporal in PCS 'casual' camo wearing a beret and armed with a standard SA80 and decide that doesn't look grizzled, macho and worship-worthy enough and so keep googling images until they find a US special forces operative (or a frame of an actor playing one in a movie) and then they'll use that one.

Pistol_Pete posted:

It's incredibly dumb because it's picking a fight on ground that Labour literally never can beat the Tories on. Everyone in Britain knows that flag-waving, poppy-brandishing, Spitfire-worshipping thing belongs to the Tories and they'll always Poppy harder than Labour can.

:sigh:

All too grimly true.

P.S. - I hearby give notice that I will be using the term vexillosexual in future discussions about the Labour Party.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I went looking around after this when Pfizer started going ballistic at the suggestion, and I found immunology professors and researchers in America suggesting it as far back as late october, early november. Apparently adenovirus-delivered vaccines for ebola worked better with unequal doses or a longer delay, so AZ included a just-significant sized group to see if the results repeated the effect.

I think the tories just did exactly what they were told, tbh. It really looks like once Cummings was finally gone, SAGE showed the government something that genuinely terrified them. They've not really hosed up in a while, and they're u-turning back into safety within the same day of every twat mouthing off. Even if it's Boris himself.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Daily Mirror, May 3, 1935

lol things change over time :o:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I THINK WE SHOULD HAVE A POPPY DAY JUST FOR TOM PLEASE RETWEET IF U AGREE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Cap'n chat:

I think it was the Tesco Christmas ad. Drove me mental every time.

"I did a charity bake sale though!"
"Your crimes against Tom are forgiven, heathen."