Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Man, they're rough on the Dallas Cowboys' cheerleaders, aren't they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
HQ, my hat looks like a muffin, over.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Super Dave Osborne, come to turn down the bed!

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

"Robert S. Fiveson was leery of the MST3K treatment of his movie until it reached the smoking crotch gag. Then he was won over."

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

*Keenan Wynn's house is destroyed in a giant explosion"

Yeah, gramma and grandpa will be fine on their own. :rolleyes:

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

I sure do love the Yelling Channel

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
tonight on crossfire!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It's missionary position practice!

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

Hmm, I have to disagree. Space Mutiny may have an interesting concept for a sci-fi story (a faction aboard a generation ship wants to abandon their original mission) but that's not the same thing as a good script.

Another movie that I still say has hidden virtues: The Screaming Skull. It has the core of a decent (if low-budget) creepy-horror flick, and there's one good plot twist in the middle. It's just too drat long for its own good. Chop out 20 or 30 minutes of "packing peanuts" and you could make an okay Twilight Zone episode out of it.

Yeah, Screaming Skull is one where its problems are honestly pretty minor. The script is perfectly fine, the acting is serviceable, even the effects are okay for the 50s, it's just got so much padding of the lady wandering around the house after hearing a noise. And it's already a pretty short movie.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I think the movie was originally titled "Screaming; Skull".

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Overdrawn at the Memory Bank is pretty close to being an actual good movie, it's like a very bland adaptation of a Philip K Dick type story

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Simone Magus posted:

Overdrawn at the Memory Bank is pretty close to being an actual good movie, it's like a very bland adaptation of a Philip K Dick type story

There I think it's really hurt by having the budget of what you find in the PBS affiliate's couch cushion, although some of the acting choices are... unique.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

A problem with Clonus was that the lead was too old. Having a guy in his 30s running around all confused just makes him look like a dope. It should have been someone in their early 20s who could convincingly play a teenager. That way you also sidestep the weird issue about how long they've been running their cloning facility.

This happens a lot even in more expensive movies, a script gets written with a character clearly in his teens and some casting director thinks "oh, this 42 year old can totally play that". Meanwhile if a woman hits 30, she's basically uncastable, like it's loving Logan's Run.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I think my favorite old young people are the ones in Ring of Terror

filmcynic
Oct 30, 2012

Powered Descent posted:

Another movie that I still say has hidden virtues: The Screaming Skull. It has the core of a decent (if low-budget) creepy-horror flick, and there's one good plot twist in the middle. It's just too drat long for its own good. Chop out 20 or 30 minutes of "packing peanuts" and you could make an okay Twilight Zone episode out of it.

I think that Phase IV from the KTMA days is a legitimately great cult movie, especially with the addition of the director's original ending. Man, I wish they had saved that riff for a later season...

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

filmcynic posted:

I think that Phase IV from the KTMA days is a legitimately great cult movie, especially with the addition of the director's original ending. Man, I wish they had saved that riff for a later season...

"Send him the ANT MOVIE" is such a great host segment line too.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
The old scientist in CLONUS looks too young and the youngsters look too old

It's madness! Madness, I tell you!!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Simone Magus posted:

The old scientist in CLONUS looks too young and the youngsters look too old

Professor Darren and Dr. Super Mario Brother!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

And now, a tribute to Doctor Bombay!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I genuinely think Parts is an example of the ideal MST3K episode. Everything is firing on all cylinders. The movie is, you know, not good but not bad enough to put off a new viewer. There's extremely fertile ground with Peter Graves, Dick Sargent and it just being very 70's in general. All of the skits are great. ("Fine! I'm in the Chocolate Lake. My personal hell.")

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Parts is one I kinda liked enough that I bought the unriffed movie on dvd, but not enough to ever actually watch that dvd.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I love Parts because the whole plot turns on the protagonist finding a discarded beer can in a stream.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Another Bill posted:

I love Parts because the whole plot turns on the protagonist finding a discarded beer can in a stream.

Isn't it a PBR or something?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Old Milwaukee

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
lol oh wow Parts came out a few months before The Gods Must Be Crazy

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Sash! posted:

Old Milwaukee

:geno: "What does Mill-Waw-Kee spell?"

:v: "It spells '$4.99 a case'."

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I had an urge to watch Viva Knievel last night and I found out that Rifftrax is doing a 'Rifftrax Friends' subscription for $5.99 / month. I don't know if that's new or not but I subscribed. It's VOD access to the stuff they have rights to, so anything from the Twitch channel or Tubi. I'm happy.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

Isn't it a PBR or something?

Do you want to watch Sonny and Cher tonight, young man?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Thanks to Covid and quarantine I've been rewatching shows, and decided to give MST3k another go. I never watched the whole series, mostly just the SciFi era when it was new to air. I got a bunch of episodes thanks to the season 11 Kickstarter, and I've been buying whatever's on sale at Rifftrax that week. I also got everything in the top 11 for the top 100 list.

Is that full list available for every episode? I'm curious what's considered to be the fan voted worst episodes.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Splint Chesthair posted:

Do you want to watch Sonny and Cher tonight, young man?

Now let's go help Jack and Chrissy move that couch. :smug:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sydney Bottocks posted:

"I think this is the most interest anyone has ever shown in Milwaukee."

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

IUG posted:

I'm curious what's considered to be the fan voted worst episodes.

Not the actual vote, but people usually rail on Hamlet.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
hamlet is good as hell

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Castle of Fu Manchu is real rough

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I’d be surprised if The Painted Hills wasn’t close to the bottom of the list. But I have a hard time with Westerns in general, so that’s just my personal bias showing.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

remusclaw posted:

I remember seeing that one after LotR came out, and was surprised to see that it was indeed that Christopher Lee.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Sydney Bottocks posted:

This riff is why I remember it was Old Milwaukee, for some reason.

UrbanUrsine
Oct 17, 2007

remusclaw posted:

Castle of Fu Manchu is the one episode I tap out on pretty much every time.

The Robot vs. The Aztec Mummy is also really rough. Most of the first season is rough, but that one stands out as especially bad.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Watching San Francisco International without riffs would require more alcohol and weed than I've ever seen in my entire life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

UrbanUrsine posted:

Castle of Fu Manchu is the one episode I tap out on pretty much every time.

The Robot vs. The Aztec Mummy is also really rough. Most of the first season is rough, but that one stands out as especially bad.

I can handle a few episodes from MST3K season one: The Crawling Eye (because it's a typical monster movie), Robot vs. Aztec Mummy (because it's so laughably bad), The Corpse Vanishes (because it's a Bela Lugosi movie), and Moon Zero Two (because it's basically a Who's Who of British TV mainstays, along with Cheneral Frankhlin Kurhby from Schwarzenegger's Commando).