Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Speaking of rich space emperors, Jeff Bezos stepping down as CEO of amazon, working on his space company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Cenen posted:

I always kind of hoped the assassin had a sense of humor and jabbed Epstein with an epipen while braking his neck. And a few good blows to his egg shaped dick for good measure.

Epipen?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Lol. Elon rocket go boom.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/02/tech/spacex-starship-sn-9-test-launch-faa-scn/index.html

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Syrian Lannister posted:

Speaking of rich space emperors, Jeff Bezos stepping down as CEO of amazon, working on his space company.

gently caress Amazon, vote union
https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1356680745146793984?s=19

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
The tech we’d need to make Mars livable would save earth. Like there’s no point in bailing because by the time you can make it worth the trip, you don’t need to go.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Best Friends posted:

If it's any consolation, neither Elon musk or any living human will colonize Mars.

It drives me slightly insane that instead of focusing on keeping earth inhabitable, our richest are blowing their money on a fantasy of colonizing a much, much less inhabitable planet.

And yeah I'm sure their fantasies of being literal space emperors plays into that.

The game Surviving Mars (pretty, pretty good) is about that. Has a bit of mood whiplash in the notifications:

"First child born on Mars! You get the Marvin the Martian achievement!"
"The tennis courts are now taking reservations!"
"Your failure to building adequate healthcare has led to the first alcohol related suicide!"

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Richard Bong posted:

The tech we’d need to make Mars livable would save earth. Like there’s no point in bailing because by the time you can make it worth the trip, you don’t need to go.

I'm starting to think that it's not about figuring out tech to help this planet or generate a future for mankind at all

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hyrax Attack! posted:

The game Surviving Mars (pretty, pretty good) is about that. Has a bit of mood whiplash in the notifications:

"First child born on Mars! You get the Marvin the Martian achievement!"
"The tennis courts are now taking reservations!"
"Your failure to building adequate healthcare has led to the first alcohol related suicide!"

Your obscenely long water pipes broke, all your plants are dead and there’s a dust storm! :rip:

Living on Mars without some sort of multiply redundant robotic extraction and factory going for all of your basic needs and any needed replacement parts is suicidal.

They should be underwater cities or something in international waters, it’d be safer.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Godholio posted:

What the everloving gently caress? :lol:

Seriously, the entire Trump administration needs to be hauled out and shot.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The Caucacity

https://www.thedailybeast.com/capitol-rioter-jenny-cudd-asks-court-to-let-her-vacation-in-mexico

quote:

One of the rioters who stormed the Capitol on Jan. 6 is asking a federal court to let her leave the country so she can make the most of a Mexican vacation she booked prior to the insurrection. In a court filing on Monday, Jenny Cudd’s attorneys said their client ”planned and prepaid for a weekend retreat with her employees” in Riviera Maya, Mexico, later this month and would like to attend. Cudd, the owner of a Midland, Texas, flower shop, told the court that the trip is “a work-related bonding retreat for employees and their spouses.”

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

I mean honestly if they'd done it years ago they'd be insanely rich from the taxes alone

This is kinda ultimately the goal, though - I'd bet money that the legalization of marijuana will come with extremely stiff penalties and/or jail time for "non-certified growers." There's too much money in putting people in jail for drugs - so it'll become legal for rich people, but local co-ops and closet-growers will get busted even worse than they do now because they'll be costing the government money and inconveniencing ultra-rich people. It'll be like HR 127 only for weed.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 3, 2021

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Remember when John Walker Lindh got 20 years for fighting our dumbass invasion of AFG?

The Insurrectionists should face at the very least the same. He was acting on behalf of a legitimate enemy force against a uniformed opposing force- they attempted to overthrow ours. We need to send a message, because otherwise we normalize it to an extent.

I say charge them with treason with the addition of during a time of war to justify their executions.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

bulletsponge13 posted:

Remember when John Walker Lindh got 20 years for fighting our dumbass invasion of AFG?

The Insurrectionists should face at the very least the same. He was acting on behalf of a legitimate enemy force against a uniformed opposing force- they attempted to overthrow ours. We need to send a message, because otherwise we normalize it to an extent.

I say charge them with treason with the addition of during a time of war to justify their executions.

I wish they would push for treason or insurrection charges, but who knows if it'll actually happen.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Richard Bong posted:

This makes me imagine some kind of last-ditch propaganda campaign from the fossil fuel companies. "gently caress Bezos and Musk! Kill Earth before they can invent terraforming! Burn more coal!"

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The "it's a bad idea and everyone will die, full stop" thing with Mars isn't the lack of useful atmosphere or poison ground made of microparticulate rust, it's the complete lack of magnetosphere. Probably the only thing the original "Total Recall" got right were the mutations.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The "it's a bad idea and everyone will die, full stop" thing with Mars isn't the lack of useful atmosphere or poison ground made of microparticulate rust, it's the complete lack of magnetosphere. Probably the only thing the original "Total Recall" got right were the mutations.

And that's a perk they'll charge extra for!

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

BIG HEADLINE posted:

This is kinda ultimately the goal, though - I'd bet money that the legalization of marijuana will come with extremely stiff penalties and/or jail time for "non-certified growers." There's too much money in putting people in jail for drugs - so it'll become legal for rich people, but local co-ops and closet-growers will get busted even worse than they do now because they'll be costing the government money and inconveniencing ultra-rich people. It'll be like HR 127 only for weed.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/12/27/marijuana-legalization-corruption-450529

What legalization we've already had has been a license for corrupt mayors and local politicians to print money in marijuana permit bribes. Leaving things up to the discretion of small town officials usually meant that there was a bidding war to bribe the local small town official.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Then I think "Well dig underground," but then I think "we can do the same thing here without the trip," and it's just a loop. It'd just be so much easier to "terraform" earth and unfuck the environment than to bail and do it somewhere else.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I hate the Mars thing, but I guess that's why I would be a bad billionaire. Why not spend a fraction of that money and do something that would make a huge difference, like fixing food inequity in a community? Like that's what I would do if I were rich.
Or do a space thing, but tone it back a little and figure out some Neal Stephenson poo poo, like put a data center in space or something.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
They don't work to avoid disaster, they work to ensure they stay on top.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sigh, I'll be the one...why can't we just go with both? Saving the planet and having galactic expansion don't have to be a zero-sum game. Hell improving things on Earth probably makes it easier to support space colonies.

Like I totally get that dislike of focus on Mars and ignore things here, but I don't think they can't work in tandem though for the betterment of humankind.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Brah the ultra wealthy who pull strings are building doomsday tombs and asking futurists if they should put shock collars on their guards we ain't working to better anything anywhere without some serious systematic changes that they'll fight every step of the way to prevent

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
Oh amazon was also fined 61 million for non payment of tips to its driver's. I didn't even know that was a thing.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Cugel the Clever posted:

But don't you see‽ All AOC wants to do is attack Republicans, why can't they work across the aisle :downs:

https://twitter.com/themattdimitri/status/1355411889946128385?s=19

https://twitter.com/elivalley/status/1356674466449936385

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

No one who makes a billion dollars is a good person. You can't achieve that kind of thing without being terrible.

I like Shark Tank for the concept, but I hate the people involved. You have 9 BILLION dollars. More than your family can spend in a hundred generations. Why the not throw 60k to some half baked fish gizmo- that's like couch money. But to me, happiness is more important than money. And all I can do is think of how much America could use that loving money spent right. Free Meals for every school kid year round with a food pantry. That right there is a game changer. I grew up poor, but above the poverty line poor, and school lunch kept me alive.

I'm all riled up because I picked up my Daughter's birth control, and looked at the cost before INS- 112.50$. It costs 112.50 to keep yourself out of the poverty cycle for three months at a time. I don't think a majority of Americans understand how much that is when you are poor. It's so god drat upsetting. There is no reason every American shouldn't have a basic Quality of Life.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

bulletsponge13 posted:

But to me, happiness is more important than money.

This is why you aren't ultra-wealthy fyi

I don't mean this as a negative

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

bulletsponge13 posted:

I like Shark Tank for the concept

Prior to 2013, just to get through those dramatic double doors, entrepreneurs had to part with 5% of their company or 2% in royalties, and that remained whether they made a deal or not, and stacked *on top* of any deal they'd made. They only ended that policy after Cuban threatened to walk, and he's the richest douchebag on the show and Kevin's foil so they caved.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

maffew buildings posted:

Brah the ultra wealthy who pull strings are building doomsday tombs and asking futurists if they should put shock collars on their guards we ain't working to better anything anywhere without some serious systematic changes that they'll fight every step of the way to prevent

Oh hey, Peter Watts wrote an amusing story based on that article.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/new-decameron-37158539

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

https://twitter.com/ACTBrigitte/status/1356729705349709824?s=19

Everything about the space force is funny

Pine Cone Jones fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 3, 2021

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Sigh, I'll be the one...why can't we just go with both? Saving the planet and having galactic expansion don't have to be a zero-sum game. Hell improving things on Earth probably makes it easier to support space colonies.

Like I totally get that dislike of focus on Mars and ignore things here, but I don't think they can't work in tandem though for the betterment of humankind.

we can go with both but space shouldn't be for private enterprises

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Syrian Lannister posted:

Oh amazon was also fined 61 million for non payment of tips to its driver's. I didn't even know that was a thing.

Wow what a great way to start a mutiny

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

https://twitter.com/jstein_wapo/status/1356731365862100999?s=21

Someone who made 51k two years ago can't possibly be hurting now.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PookBear posted:

we can go with both but space shouldn't be for private enterprises

Oh that's fine. I just meant that concepts in generally being presented as polar opposites.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/1356723410106253313

One company would like to stay operational, one company doesn't give a gently caress.

Probably a bit late but I love people ON NATIONAL TELEVISION bitching about being censored because of "cancel culture"

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Best Friends posted:

100k for married couples? There goes my Biden bucks even though my wife is out of work and the avg rent for a house is around 2.8K in the neighborhood.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Is there a way to send the people organizing this union money?

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Best Friends posted:

Key phrase there is "start phasing out".

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

wins32767 posted:

Key phrase there is "start phasing out".

I mean 50k is too low. Especially since they're going off of last tax return filed which would be prior to covid, so someone who made 75k but lost their job in June and has been hosed for 6 months or is working as an uber driver or what-the-gently caress-ever would not get the full benefit.

There's no key phrase about it, it's too loving low. Means testing is dumb as gently caress anyways, a fig leaf to appeal to centrists, especially if you're using year old data from before the pandemic started.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I thought these things were pitched as an economic stimulus and not just a bailout?