Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Comrade Fakename posted:

This is actually extremely good news. Not because of Keith’s dogshit strategy, but because the Guardian has unambiguously come out against it, and a bit more ambiguously, though still significantly, against Starmer himself.

Losing support of the Guardian is a huge blow.

my brother has been very "what other option is there?" recently and even he thinks this is extremely poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

The neutrino observatory was rendered obsolete by the invention of toby young, who has a head so thick and a braincase so cavernous that it excludes all other emissions and neutrino collisions can be observed as they manifest in him tweeting.

Wait, this implies Toby Young might have a use?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

When I graduated (81) I wanted to work in Antarctica but they didn't recruit women then :qq: because they "didn't have suitable toilets". THAT was shocking lack of vision. I could have been down there, counting muons or neutrinos or something.
Gender neutrino bathrooms.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
:thunk:

https://twitter.com/1983Jackhancock/status/1356765191195791360?s=20

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Want to forsake this benighted land?
Various science/tech/mechanics/boatperson jobs in Antarctica (and some in Cambridge).

https://www.bas.ac.uk/jobs/vacancies/

I suppose if you're going to overwinter in Antarctica you probably aren't doing it just for the money, but the flat rate £24,685 salary +10% bonus seems pretty bad for highly skilled work, spending a year entirely cut off from the world living in a metal shack in a frozen desert. Though on the upside your food and accommodation are paid and you've got plenty of time to organise an Antarctic workers' union.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Guavanaut posted:

Gender neutrino bathrooms.

Perhaps the most important thing to know about neutrinos is that they come in three types, or flavours:
electron neutrino (νe)
muon neutrino (νμ)
tau neutrino (ντ)

Plus, matching anti-neutrinos.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Neutrino oscillation is a woke fantasy :freep:

My fantasy is the US military budget but for an Atlantropa project full of piss to scupper Luke Akehurst in the middle of.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

big scary monsters posted:

I suppose if you're going to overwinter in Antarctica you probably aren't doing it just for the money, but the flat rate £24,685 salary +10% bonus seems pretty bad for highly skilled work, spending a year entirely cut off from the world living in a metal shack in a frozen desert. Though on the upside your food and accommodation are paid and you've got plenty of time to organise an Antarctic workers' union.

I read this book about 30 years ago: The Birth of the People's Republic of Antarctica. Can't remember a thing about it.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/845616.The_Birth_of_the_People_s_Republic_of_Antarctica

Blurb: In this book the author has written a stunning lament about the beastliness in man and the violence in nature, about the darkness of hope abandoned and the blood-price of hope regained. The power of his novel is its informed irony for what has been, and its measured fury for what may yet be. It is bewitching work of profound and prophetic vision.

It's not really metal shacks anymore and there's not a lot to spend your money on.

Halley Vi webcam. They jack up these pods to keep them above the snow. I don't think anyone overwinters at this one though.

https://www.bas.ac.uk/data/our-data/images/webcams/halley-vi-webcam/

I used to have a webpage with different webcams on it and there was one pointing at Mawson. One day I looked at it (such is the exciting life I lead) and there was a penguin's face looking directly into the camera which was pretty funny.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Neutrino oscillation is a woke fantasy :freep:

My fantasy is the US military budget but for an Atlantropa project full of piss to scupper Luke Akehurst in the middle of.

Could reverse that: Sweden is one of the top 10 arms exporters and US social policy is poo poo. So Asshurts probably meant to say Scandanavian military and US social & economic policy.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I guess the crucial question is what the prices are like at the bar there. As you say, you aren't spending your money on much else.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've seen The Thing and read At The Mountains Of Madness and frankly I still would quite like to go to antarctica tbh. Both seem appealing prospects.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Well as you mention food and accomodation (and equipment) is free so it's not really all that bad.

Though from what I've seen in a documentary the food is pushing use-by dates far past whats reasonable, along with unironically reusing leftovers in different meals over consecutive days. Obvious reasons but it's not great I imagine.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 3, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can do both of those at home and nobody's paying me for it :colbert:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
There are the ancient, unknowable horrors from beyond the stars to consider. And also I know someone who worked a few seasons at McMurdo and their internet use was limited to a couple of text-only emails once a week.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There are the ancient, unknowable horrors from beyond the stars to consider.

Yes I've seen BBC news occasionally as well.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Could reverse that: Sweden is one of the top 10 arms exporters and US social policy is poo poo. So Asshurts probably meant to say Scandanavian military and US social & economic policy.

I doubt the var of piss could even point to Scandinavia on a map (he'd probably hit Rochdale).
He comes across as one of those liberal cunts who thinks that the USA is something to aspire to, rather than - as most of the world sees it - something to nuke until nothing but glass or molten rock remains.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

There are the ancient, unknowable horrors from beyond the stars to consider. And also I know someone who worked a few seasons at McMurdo and their internet use was limited to a couple of text-only emails once a week.
If their internet capacity has progressed at the same rate as the rest of the world and they're up to IRC and phpBB forums now then that sounds better than social media videoconferencing world.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

If their internet capacity has progressed at the same rate as the rest of the world and they're up to IRC and phpBB forums now then that sounds better than social media videoconferencing world.

Fairly sure it's still over shortwave - too high a latitude for satellite, line-of-sight microwave is out for obvious reasons, and I seriously doubt anyone's arsed to lie an undersea fibre to them (and even if they did it still only ends up in Patagonia, not known for being a hotbed of connectivity). I'd be astonished if they have more than a megabit to play with and obviously that's shared between dozens of people and actual science works probably takes a chunk of that anyway.

e: Huh, turns out they do have intermittent sat comms to McMurdo at least - they don't mention the pole but I'm fairly certain it's out of reach, not impossible they could actually have microwave from McMurdo to the pole though.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 3, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Question IRL posted:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/northern-ireland-ports-brexit-eu-loyalists-b1796317.html

So yeah this isn't good news.
But hey, spirit that is the envy of the world, right?

gently caress whoever created that abbreviated headline for the URL with a splintered broomstick.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Cap'n chat:

Been reading up a bit, he was tested negative for covid-19 when going to Barbados, regularly while out there, and on returning. So I reckon he picked it up this side after coming back.

He went into hospital January 12th before being diagnosed with pneumonia and I reckon he probably picked it up there - positive test came about 10 days later. (Was it on here someone said the doc didn't want their gran going into hospital because hospitals were super-spreader?)

My FB actual friends newsfeed on it hasn't been too bad - just sharing news items mainly (apart from that thing I posted earlier from one of the former military brats groups I'm in), not much evidence of vexillosexuality or papaverphilia amongst them (though the latter gets a major outing in Novembers).

So anyway, it's shameful the UK is in such a state he felt compelled to do it, but he did do it. So well done to him.

Just feel a bit sad that the flagshaggers and tories will soil it and without a doubt Johnson will go up 5% in the polls next week on the back of it.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

What even would an equivalent British military of that size do?

Patrol the Falklands?
Cover Gibraltar in tinsel?
Fortify Saint Nicholas of the Cats?

The Question IRL posted:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/northern-ireland-ports-brexit-eu-loyalists-b1796317.html

So yeah this isn't good news.
But hey, spirit that is the envy of the world, right?

Oh....

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Been busy getting focus groups to tell me what my views should be so I can authentically hold them.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I'm still impressed at how many people are defending him. Maybe this is the governance they want. Tories for infinity, enriching themselves with the faint hope that they too can tory a little someday.

Then an opposition that basically agrees with the same policies but does a little less torying. In the name of balance it comes along for 4 years every 20 and doesn't outstay its welcome.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yes but remember what Blair did.

Works better than Ipecac.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

The thing about flag-wanking is that it is a popular stance among the general public, because most voters like that style of patriotism and like it when that's reflected by their politicians. I don't really mind left patriotism, so long as you actually use it to push left wing values.

But Starmer is completely devoid of ideas to differentiate him from the other flag wavers. That's the critical problem here.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Is this sort of unconscious sycophancy just a UK thing or present the world over? Just curious if other countries look at this kind of thing going on over here and just roll their eyes.

Like everyone is tripping over themselves to praise him for "everything he did" when the reality is that he did a quaint but nice thing that the media machine grabbed ahold of and whored into a "good brand" that you were evil if you didn't provide fawning praise to.

Like, we all know there's some smug gits at the top of the newspaper business having a meeting about how much money/viewers/readers the "Captain Tom" campaign they started has produced.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
A month in and they realise this is exactly the disaster they were warned about over and over again. Now they’re desperate to jump all over the vaccine import stuff to prove it’s the EU’s fault.

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1356867587406241793?s=20

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

peanut- posted:

A month in and they realise this is exactly the disaster they were warned about over and over again. Now they’re desperate to jump all over the vaccine import stuff to prove it’s the EU’s fault.

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1356867587406241793?s=20

"I poo poo the bed! You should really change the sheets."

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Not So Fast posted:

The thing about flag-wanking is that it is a popular stance among the general public, because most voters like that style of patriotism and like it when that's reflected by their politicians. I don't really mind left patriotism, so long as you actually use it to push left wing values.

But Starmer is completely devoid of ideas to differentiate him from the other flag wavers. That's the critical problem here.
He's not found out what his authentically held values are yet.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Fairly sure it's still over shortwave - too high a latitude for satellite, line-of-sight microwave is out for obvious reasons, and I seriously doubt anyone's arsed to lie an undersea fibre to them (and even if they did it still only ends up in Patagonia, not known for being a hotbed of connectivity). I'd be astonished if they have more than a megabit to play with and obviously that's shared between dozens of people and actual science works probably takes a chunk of that anyway.

e: Huh, turns out they do have intermittent sat comms to McMurdo at least - they don't mention the pole but I'm fairly certain it's out of reach, not impossible they could actually have microwave from McMurdo to the pole though.
RTTY has gotten better in the past couple of decades too, mostly originally for the benefit of luxury yacht wankers and ham radio fans and later LoRa/MIoTy/etc, but it's not something that couldn't be applied to Antarctica in summer at least.

14.4kbps should be good enough for the Internet of Avoiding Zoom Meetings.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Kin posted:

Is this sort of unconscious sycophancy just a UK thing or present the world over? Just curious if other countries look at this kind of thing going on over here and just roll their eyes.

Like everyone is tripping over themselves to praise him for "everything he did" when the reality is that he did a quaint but nice thing that the media machine grabbed ahold of and whored into a "good brand" that you were evil if you didn't provide fawning praise to.

Like, we all know there's some smug gits at the top of the newspaper business having a meeting about how much money/viewers/readers the "Captain Tom" campaign they started has produced.

Most people everywhere are patriotic or nationalistic to some degree, it's innate to the human species. But the UK and the US seems to take it further than others.

Also brexit is affecting me now, the only store I know of in Finland with UK/Aus/US food is basically out of everything I wanted to buy (malt vinegar, marmite and vegemite).

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
british newspapers complete 100-lap wank

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

He's not found out what his authentically held values are yet.

RTTY has gotten better in the past couple of decades too, mostly originally for the benefit of luxury yacht wankers and ham radio fans and later LoRa/MIoTy/etc, but it's not something that couldn't be applied to Antarctica in summer at least.

14.4kbps should be good enough for the Internet of Avoiding Zoom Meetings.

Surely the luxury yacht wankers just give £ridiculous/month to Inmarsat for something that Just Works over the vast majority of the ocean rather than potentially missing an important trade/merger/Bulgarian sex-slave auction because the ionosphere isn't playing ball?

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Bloody hell, Jean Reno's 72?!

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

british newspapers complete 100-lap wank

I assume Boris would celebrate Cpt Tom's life, but he's too busy celebrating his mother.

I also saw a few stories about other elderly people doing similar things, but they were neither white enough nor military enough for any of our fash press to give a poo poo about.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

This one looks like a magician competing on Britain's Got Talent.

Honestly I don't have anything against him personally but the fawning is just ridiculous. It's Poppywatch in human form.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Surely the luxury yacht wankers just give £ridiculous/month to Inmarsat for something that Just Works over the vast majority of the ocean rather than potentially missing an important trade/merger/Bulgarian sex-slave auction because the ionosphere isn't playing ball?
They will just give £ridiculous/month to for something that Just Works, but that's what made it a hotbed of Free Market Innovation (often useless) in the 2000s. Combine that with the sort of people who take part in QRP contests and there has been some actual improvement in long distance data radio, mostly just for telemetry stuff but I don't see why I can't use it for IRC from Antarctica.

stev posted:

This one looks like a magician competing on Britain's Got Talent.
Tonight Simon I'm going to be sawing India in half.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

stev posted:

Honestly I don't have anything against him personally but the fawning is just ridiculous. It's Poppywatch in human form.

Indeed, I think he's a perfectly fine man and i'm glad he got to do his trip to barbados

If only he had said "btw the tories suck rear end" during one of his TV interviews could you imagine the breakneck whiplash from the press as they did a full 180 and found out he did warcrimes

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Kin posted:

Here in China it’s practically obligatory (and in the case of some stories it really IS obligatory!) Most people everywhere I’ve lived like to hear positive stories about people they can relate to. Goons are pretty unusual in NOT having a reflexively cheerful and upbeat (and naive) reaction to this kind of thing, and that gets us marked as miserable cynics by most normal folk.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

His Divine Shadow posted:

Most people everywhere are patriotic or nationalistic to some degree, it's innate to the human species. But the UK and the US seems to take it further than others.

Patriotism and nationalisim is a huge component to the UK. Look at how people were going nuts over the signing of “Rule Britannia.” Last year.
Hell if you even take this thread as a microcosm of it think back to the debates about big N, Nationalism visa vie Scotland. Or even the Podcast with it’s opening theme tune(s).
I don’t know what pieces of music are used but I recognise that they are designed to appeal to a part of the brain reserved for national anthems. (I really could feel a difference when they put the Deus Ex theme in it’s place on one of the more recent podcasts.)

Speaking of good socialist media, season 2 of Snow Piercer is on Netflix. Andre mused the idea of naming his potential son Trotsky, which I found funny. (Should have gone with Lenin.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I'm thinking that a lot of the nationalism of the UK and US is down to the amount of people with nothing else. No hope for anything getting better. But there's always ARE COUNTRY.