Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I know the solution is “play more” so I’m not too upset, but learning all the maps as a newbie is hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

I know the solution is “play more” so I’m not too upset, but learning all the maps as a newbie is hard.

While playing more is one solution it's kind of bad for those of us with garbage schedules. My time with this game has always been fun, but painful because I am always left behind after a wipe. While my friends are running around with meta guns, heat sensing scopes and the best ammo in the game I am following suit with a PP-19 loaded with Quake Maker and garbage armor.

The mega chads have 0 reason to not totally annihilate me halfway across the map at this stage in the game because they are bored and just want to kill. So, I have not even bothered playing this wipe. Destiny 2 and City of Heroes are games that I can pick up, play for an hour and make progress in without much thought or prep.

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God

FileNotFound posted:

The sad thing is that the "Do quest at night - it's easier!" thing isn't as true anymore as my most recent night time customs run to get bolt rifle scav kills at night, I saw no shortage of NV geared mans hunting PMCs.

It's 100% true in the early game just because nobody is running NV.

I went to Shoreline with NV hoping to get some ez pmc kills for punisher part 5 - that didn't work out well for me either.

I think Customs and Interchange have the highest chance of encountering PMCs and it's entirely because of the layout of the map and location of the spawns. Lots of bottlenecks on both maps. Shoreline and Woods, being the most expansive, have a much lower chance of encountering PMCs (as long as you're avoiding the highly trafficked central locations of each map).

It's really just the luck of the draw - some raids you run into a bunch of PMCs, other raids you traverse the entire map for 40 minutes and never see a single one. I'm laying this out because I feel like this is one of the biggest variables in support of the idea that when you get knocked down in this game, you gotta just load up another loadout and jump right back in.

Just an example of what I'm talking about - this weekend I needed to get a bunch of scav kills on Shoreline, so I just threw on a Hunter with my lovely UN armor+helmet for the quest and loaded into a night raid. I walked from scav spawn to scav spawn - gas station, power station, parking lot, cottage - and when it was wrapped up, I went and stopped by resort for some other quests. Never saw a single PMC and killed 13 scavs. My next raid I tried to do the exact same thing (there are so many Shoreline scav kill quests lol) and someone started blasting me with a scoped, silenced rifle as soon as I got near power station.

Obviously most of you know this, I'm just laying it out for anyone thats new to the game. It's part of the beauty of it - every raid is totally different, you just gotta saddle up and try again.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Mesadoram posted:

While playing more is one solution it's kind of bad for those of us with garbage schedules. My time with this game has always been fun, but painful because I am always left behind after a wipe. While my friends are running around with meta guns, heat sensing scopes and the best ammo in the game I am following suit with a PP-19 loaded with Quake Maker and garbage armor.

The mega chads have 0 reason to not totally annihilate me halfway across the map at this stage in the game because they are bored and just want to kill. So, I have not even bothered playing this wipe. Destiny 2 and City of Heroes are games that I can pick up, play for an hour and make progress in without much thought or prep.

This has been, by far, the worst wipe to be a working adult taking night classes.

I'm probably not the metric to judge by, but goddamn has it been tedious for me.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ime as a person who can't play that often, I learn the maps fastest by running them offline for an hour or so; the maps shrink drastically in your mental map once you can sprint freely from one point to another with no pressure, concerns, or time constraints; trying to learn within a RAID is comparatively hopeless.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

What worked for me was doing scav runs with the goal of hitting the stashes or specific spawns.

Sure by the time I got to them as a scav they were generally looted - but it was far more productive than just running around the map aimlessly and trying to learn it that way.

So basically if you're trying to learn interchange, don't just go there as a Scav, go there with the goal of finding Techlight etc.

I think the toughest thing is how the maps appear to not be to scale or I'm totally crazy. (Like, Resort on shoreline, I think it's way bigger than the map suggests, Reserve seems to overall be much larger than the map suggests and so on)

Also funny thing - back when I lived in good old Soviet Russia, it was common knowledge that the maps available to civilians would not have the city layout to correct and consistent scale. This was intentional and designed to prevent the maps being used for military purposes. It was hilariously obvious in one of the spots in the city where the maps all showed a street turning and going diagonally but it was very obviously straight... Oh and for anyone who wants to laugh at how crazy this was - https://www.nytimes.com/1988/09/03/world/soviet-aide-admits-maps-were-faked-for-50-years.html

That's what Tarkov feels like.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I find the incomplete and sometimes bad information the game gives you to be kind of charming. I'm not even as mad about stuff being upside down/backwards anymore (i am still a little mad about it)

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Pharmaskittle posted:

I find the incomplete and sometimes bad information the game gives you to be kind of charming. I'm not even as mad about stuff being upside down/backwards anymore (i am still a little mad about it)

The worst thing for me is that Shorline and Woods will forever be upside down for me.

I got two friends playing this wipe and both are new, so both are learning the maps North Up.

It continues to mindfuck me....

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

FileNotFound posted:

The worst thing for me is that Shorline and Woods will forever be upside down for me.

I got two friends playing this wipe and both are new, so both are learning the maps North Up.

It continues to mindfuck me....

Shoreline is properly oriented, Resort is north,
Pier is south

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Famethrowa posted:

This has been, by far, the worst wipe to be a working adult taking night classes.

I'm probably not the metric to judge by, but goddamn has it been tedious for me.

Yeah I totally understand. When I was in my masters program I had to balance, teaching during the day, classes at night then competitive World of Tanks until 1 in the morning. Turns out, time gets faster and less available the older I get :smith:.

Like I said before, I do really enjoy the game but right now I feel like I can't Actually enjoy it right now if that makes sense.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

TheTofuShop posted:

Shoreline is properly oriented, Resort is north,

Exactly - except you know which map I learned it on?

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/escapefromtarkov_gamepedia/images/1/17/Map_Shoreline.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20200728192547

Oh and on the topic of hosed up maps and scaling.

Say you are at Resort - and want to head to Customs extract. Do you need to go East, SE, or SSE.

None of the Shorline maps are quite clear on the lattitude distance between customs extract and resort on shoreline. I'm convinced that the Road To Customs extract is actually much further North than the maps suggest but I could be wrong...

FileNotFound fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 1, 2021

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Mentally reorienting Shoreline wasn't that bad for me because we never used directional callouts and it was just flipping once. Woods took forever because suddenly the landmark for "South" wasn't even "North" it was the middle of the map.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
I think this wipe has evolved pretty quickly - access to the hideout definitely speeds up how fast the turbo gamers can get to the point where they are running fully kitted - both from the absolute explosion of income that is BTC farming and the huge leg up you get on early flea market prices by being slightly ahead of the curve. It felt like by 2-3 weeks in, it was common to see dudes already in full meta builds.

I think unfortunately what this means is we will continue to see aggressive nerfs to the hideout, which, as sad as it is, is definitely needed because it continues to be absolutely OP. I just hope that BSG can directly address the issue (rate of BTC production) instead of taking has fisted swipes at ancillary factors.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

FileNotFound posted:

Did you actually make it out alive?

The only time I wore one I got my legs blown out drat near instantly....

I did! First try too. I went to nighttime factory, found a single scav, and stood close to him. Every shot he took hit the armor and then I scooted. Wasn't that bad, really.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

causticBeet posted:

I just hope that BSG can directly address the issue (rate of BTC production) instead of taking has fisted swipes at ancillary factors.

Lol

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Can't wait to log in tomorrow and see wires take bronze lions or something now.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

Bussamove posted:

Can't wait to log in tomorrow and see wires take bronze lions or something now.

Gotta melt them down for copper

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

are there any simple software solutions to cap how loud audio outputs ? I wanna hear stuff but I absolutely will not gently caress with my hearing for a game...

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
at some point most people would think "wow, im turning the audio up so loud it hurts me, i should probably turn it down and get used to it like that so my ears adjust" yet other brave gamers decide otherwise

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

thats a cool story

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Wear comtacs, turn down your volume.

Guiness13
Feb 17, 2007

The best angel of all.

Mae posted:

Gotta melt them down for copper

Requires level 3 heating

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
What's the in game justification for south being up? Like, blueprints for houses and estates and things will orient whatever way makes sense for the drawing, but these in game regions (and in game maps) are large areas, many without a dominant single feature. Like the best exceptions I can think of off hand are factory (where I never open my compas) and shoreline (which has the resort).

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Jack B Nimble posted:

What's the in game justification for south being up? Like, blueprints for houses and estates and things will orient whatever way makes sense for the drawing, but these in game regions (and in game maps) are large areas, many without a dominant single feature. Like the best exceptions I can think of off hand are factory (where I never open my compas) and shoreline (which has the resort).

BSG has never made a statement about why the maps are hosed or any justification for it.

There is literally a guide that tells you which maps are upside down and which are not....I have no idea why they have made zero effort to fix it when they introduced an in game compass or how they even did it for shoreline when East and West wings existed in the resort but the map was very obviously flipped - nevermind that the sun rises and falls 'correctly' and always has...

Some theories have been that the game levels were designed and then maps created and flipped as needed to make them 'fit together' and that required some to be flipped or something - but really nobody knows.

My own theory is too much vodka.

FileNotFound fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 2, 2021

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

FileNotFound posted:

My own theory is too much vodka.

This is the best theory for everything BSG does.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Uuuh?

EDIT: Makes sense, in a backwards way. ˅˅˅˅˅˅˅

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
it doesnt switch to longest until your streak ends

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
If this were reddit there would be people 100% convinced you can't survive six raids in a row without hiding 10 minutes and extracting immediately, or cheating

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Cage Kicker posted:

If this were reddit there would be people 100% convinced you can't survive six raids in a row without hiding 10 minutes and extracting immediately, or cheating

Oh boy, they would not take kindly to my 17 raid win streak this wipe. I killed a lot of bad guys and got insanely lucky on a couple occasions including richocheting a bullet off the noggin.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

it would be cool if you could hold R to look into a magazine as you pull it out and that gave you ammo type and count for a little awareness loss as you reload

edit: and hit R while checking a mag to swap it out

Qmass fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Feb 3, 2021

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Qmass posted:

edit: and hit R while checking a mag to swap it out

I want this so bad.

BONESTORM
Jan 27, 2009

Buy me Bonestorm or go to Hell!

Inspector_666 posted:

I want this so bad.

Yeah it’s pretty funny when you check a mag, it’s empty, and your guy just decides to put it back in the gun. Big brain move there, pal.

Raioner
Mar 28, 2006

Qmass posted:

are there any simple software solutions to cap how loud audio outputs ? I wanna hear stuff but I absolutely will not gently caress with my hearing for a game...

you can use soundlock or another program called configuration editor. There is a tutorial on how to use configuration editor in the discord under the useful links channel that naky posted.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I dunno if something has changed or if this just hasn't come up before, but my ComTacs were driving me nuts two nights ago, the noises from the rain in woods were genuinely painful.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
Is there a point where its worth replacing my armor with armor of a lower tier? Like if my tier 4 armor has 12 hp left and I find tier 3 armor with full hp, is it worth "downgrading" or is any tier 4 better than tier 3?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
The less durability/max durability an armour has the easier it is to penetrate.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I don't know if it's optimal but if it's below half hp I'll ditch l4 for a fresh l3. Unless it's an armored rig and the corpse I'm looting has no rig, because that's too much effort.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Spaseman posted:

Is there a point where its worth replacing my armor with armor of a lower tier? Like if my tier 4 armor has 12 hp left and I find tier 3 armor with full hp, is it worth "downgrading" or is any tier 4 better than tier 3?

https://escapefromtarkov.gamepedia.com/Ballistics

In short, once your armor is less than 75% durability I suggest ditching it. (Unless you have to wear that for a quest or some poo poo, IE PACA or UNITAR kill quests, just wear it, it's trash tier armor anyway and only good vs the worst scavs)

Low armor durability increases the chance that a bullet penetrates it and how little damage is reduced during penetration.

If you are running armor that is at 12/60, you may as well go in naked.

FileNotFound fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Feb 4, 2021

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Hey folks, its been a while and I hope you're all enjoying yourselves. I've been grinding harder than I usually do this wipe and got my bitcoin farm up and running and basically burned out because apparently all I care about is the grind and I have no real goals and find the gameplay stressful.

Anyways here's two times I did good this wipe. A shoreline 2 v 3, and a customs 1 v 3. E: I linked the same fight twice... but fixed it.

Rest assured I spend most of my time getting blapped. I'm hitting a fairly hard wall as I have no motivation to do runs other than to unlock M61 for slightly cheaper and consistent high quality 7.62 nato.

Anyways if I can offer some advice for OP I think a lot of the 7.62r and Nato rounds need to have giant disclaimers on them about their usefulness. If you're using a bolt action or trying to do the sniper questline, you should really be using a SV-98 or Mosin for the 7n1 sniper round, because it pens through lv4 and has lethal damage on torso hits. SNB is a good, inexpensive, high quality ammo but it needs that double tap or head shot. It's much better in something like an SVDS. If you hit a geared guy with SNB using a bolt action it'll be like .6 seconds until you can fire again, and you might have hit a stomach or arm, meaning you need 2 more torso hits.

If you want to use the 7.62 nato rounds for the sniper quest line I'd recommend using BPZ. It deserves a mention in the 'good ammo' pile imo, just because it does deliver a lethal hit through armour class 3 and probably headshots fine. At the very least it makes taking a m700 or DVL much less painful when fighting scavs. I do think due to the way torso HP works in this game that all these sniper rifles are basically inferior because they don't have 7N1, but all the semi automatic options are fine.

Oooh. And the .366 VPO-215 is actually somewhat viable as a comparable bolt action with this round:

It's a one shot for only 400~ rubles. You get the gun early and it's super cheap, but with this ammo it's does present a real threat and has more rapid reloads than the Mosin.

Toalpaz fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Toalpaz posted:

If you want to use the 7.62 nato rounds for the sniper quest line I'd recommend using BPZ. It deserves a mention in the 'good ammo' pile imo, just because it does deliver a lethal hit through armour class 3 and probably headshots fine. At the very least it makes taking a m700 or DVL much less painful when fighting scavs. I do think due to the way torso HP works in this game that all these sniper rifles are basically inferior because they don't have 7N1, but all the semi automatic options are fine.

Is there some reason you wouldn't be using M62 for the sniper quest line?