Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

Sloppy posted:

I picked up Synthetik since it's on sale, and wow, super fun in that Nuclear Throne kind of way.

I purchased this and refunded it because it had essentially non-existent controller support. The killer for me is that it had 0 deadzone, and no ability to modify one. I've got an Xbox controller, which is to say it's got a tiny stick drift, which made synthetik unplayable. Do you know if there's a deadzone setting now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
You can use the native controller settings of the Steam client to set a deadzone for Steam games.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Sloppy posted:

I picked up Synthetik since it's on sale, and wow, super fun in that Nuclear Throne kind of way.

Oh yeah Synthetik rules. Crazy amount of game for $7

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How long is the Titanfall 2 campaign

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
About six to eight hours maybe. It's not a very long game.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Honestly its probably less than that, its remarkably short (but great!)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah everyone keeps talking about how amazing it is, I assumed it's longer. No replayability?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Little. It's mostly for a specific and fairly unique mechanic that is introduced halfway through.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

zoux posted:

Yeah everyone keeps talking about how amazing it is, I assumed it's longer. No replayability?

nah not really thats what the multiplayer mode (which is fantastic!) is there for

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Note to self: Do not play Synthetik with a controller. Your fingers will be cramped.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

zoux posted:

Not much, there's collectible helmets to chase after and a few achievements that relate to specific optional goals in the campaign but not much more than that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JollyBoyJohn posted:

nah not really thats what the multiplayer mode (which is fantastic!) is there for

*sniff* I do not care for multiplayer.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

zoux posted:

ah well then yeah you could get everything you need from the game in a day, heck probably a sitting

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I hope they fix the sprinting leisurely jogging in ME1.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Anno posted:

If you already own ME3 on Steam there’s a complete-a-bundle option that should give you 17% off of the Legendary Edition.

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/15511/Mass_Effect_Legendary_Edition__ME3_Owner_Offer/

It comes out to 25 percent off once it removes the cost of ME3.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

zoux posted:

This is the precise use case for EA Access. Grab it stupid cheap, enjoy the short campaign, try some other stuff, have a good time.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

zoux posted:

How long is the Titanfall 2 campaign

4h max. Its as short as it's good.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

This is the precise use case for EA Access. Grab it stupid cheap, enjoy the short campaign, try some other stuff, have a good time.

Oh I already grabbed it cheap at some sale, and then I saw it had an ultra short campaign and I haven't gotten into it. I know that seems weird, a shorter game should be easier to knock out, but I've always liked my media, movie, tv shows, books, comics, whatever, to be looooooong

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
TF2 campaign does have some cool levels. I think it took me 6 hours, and I tend to play slowly

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It comes out to 25 percent off once it removes the cost of ME3.
That's not how it works. The bundle discount is the percent off whatever you have left to buy in the bundle. If you already have ME3 then instead of 90 - 17% =74.68 it'll be 60 - 17% =49.79

It's not 74.68 - 29.99. (I assume this is the calculation you did to get 25% off).

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
Boy I wish Kojima had stronger convictions about violence in his walking sim and didn't feel the need to put in these very very bad world war sections. I did the second one and it loving sucked. I'm expecting that there will be at least another one of these to look forward to :suicide: And yes Kojima, the extremely Danish man with a very pronounced accent can play an American soldier, no problems there, your world is barely coherent as it is.

On a positive note, I had a lot of fun conquering the snowy mountains by placing zip lines everywhere, which a bunch of other players are also using :3: And I just met Heartman, who is pretty weird and fun.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Veotax posted:

Gamespot has a video up about the changes in the Mass Effect collection:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdwafYDlXtU

Still watching it myself, but one of the ME1 changes mentioned is changes to aiming and aim penalties for weapons you're not trained in. So while you can't put skill points into weapons you're not trained in, you can actually use them properly (in ME1 if your class wasn't trained in snipers you couldn't even look down the scope).

Also a dedicated melee button in ME1.

EDIT: You can skip elevators after loading is done!
No need to NG+++ to get all the morality options that you are locked out of in the initial game, so you can get max level in one playthrough, maybe.
Only thing I have a gripe with is if they still have that bloody screen creep when you take damage. I get it, my guy is bleeding out the eyes, don't make the screen space cluttered as well for several seconds and then magically disappear.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/376987/Valve_on_the_hook_for_4_million_over_Steam_controller_patent_infringement.php

quote:

According to a report from Law.com (via VGC), a jury found that Valve willfully infringed on a patent held by Ironburg Inventions through its design of the Steam Controller

Specifically, the Steam Controller included a pair of buttons along its back that could players could press with the fingers resting on the controller grips. Other controllers have licensed and included that functionality, but the jury found that Valve used that concept for its Steam Controller without going through the proper channels, and thus in a way that infringed on the Ironburg patent.

4 million dollars, I think the Cyberpunk launch window royalties could cover that.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I own a Steam controller and those buttons are actually really convenient to have, so it sucks that the concept of a specific kind of button can somehow be patented. I wouldn't have minded those appearing on more controllers.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah the steam controller sucks poo poo but those back buttons are very nice to have.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

I own a Steam controller and those buttons are actually really convenient to have, so it sucks that the concept of a specific kind of button can somehow be patented. I wouldn't have minded those appearing on more controllers.

They do appear on more controllers, Sony made a DS4 accessory that adds back buttons and the Xbox Elite controller has them built in, as do 3rd party controllers from companies like SCUF and Razer

Having to pay a license fee to whoever patented it might be the reason why it's considered a "premium" feature you don't get with the standard pack-in controller though

repiv fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 3, 2021

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
I would use Steam Controller maybe exclusively if it had two sticks. Lots of really cool features, and I would have liked to see them expounded.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The Steam controller had some very neat ideas, definitely. The biggest problem is the lack of a second stick and that it just has lovely ergonomics overall, although the touchpad on the right side can make for a good emulated analog stick in a pinch. One thing I absolutely have to give it is that the battery life is nothing short of amazing. I got mine when we were still on the previous Steam thread and I have not exchanged the batteries even once in the entire time since. I don't know how they did it, but it's impressive.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Sloppy posted:

I bounced back hard from really good roguelike games like Dead Cells, Enter the Gungeon, Risk of Rain 2. Synthetik can be far more punishing, but goddamn all the pieces fit together and the guns are so great. I've plugged in 300+ hours of SYNTHETIK, and I love it still.

Prokhor posted:

I purchased this and refunded it because it had essentially non-existent controller support. The killer for me is that it had 0 deadzone, and no ability to modify one. I've got an Xbox controller, which is to say it's got a tiny stick drift, which made synthetik unplayable. Do you know if there's a deadzone setting now?

Gamepad support was definitely not a thing that was planned for launch. Now that it is added though, even still, I seriously recommend using a mouse for this game.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Cardiovorax posted:

The Steam controller had some very neat ideas, definitely. The biggest problem is the lack of a second stick and that it just has lovely ergonomics overall, although the touchpad on the right side can make for a good emulated analog stick in a pinch. One thing I absolutely have to give it is that the battery life is nothing short of amazing. I got mine when we were still on the previous Steam thread and I have not exchanged the batteries even once in the entire time since. I don't know how they did it, but it's impressive.

I love the touchpad for camera control in third person games like Monster Hunter and Dark Souls -- with the right community created custom confirms (where the touchpad emulates a mouse, and not a right analog stick for camera control purposes) I feel way more in control than I do with any of the main console controllers. It's not my favorite for every game (d-pad is painfully bad) but for 3D stuff it's almost always my preference over my PS4 or Xbox controller

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I felt like a complete moron buying the steam controller. I dont think i ever put batteries on that thing when i got it

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

That's not how it works. The bundle discount is the percent off whatever you have left to buy in the bundle. If you already have ME3 then instead of 90 - 17% =74.68 it'll be 60 - 17% =49.79

It's not 74.68 - 29.99. (I assume this is the calculation you did to get 25% off).

I did the calculation off of the 60 dollar price and what I ended up paying, since the only reason you would buy that bundle is to get the discount since ME3 is in the legendary edition anyway. The subtotal was 44.81. I think it may have applied an additional credit or something.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The way you can set the d-pad to be an on-touch toggle for gyro aiming is really cool and one of my favourite thing about the controller. There are a lot of good ideas in it. Just also a lot of bad ones.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Fargin Icehole posted:

I felt like a complete moron buying the steam controller. I dont think i ever put batteries on that thing when i got it

I also felt like a moron after getting it, but they were so in demand that I managed to flip it for a profit despite it being lightly used :v:

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I can't be the only one that thought "finally, the entire Mass Effect trilogy, with DLC, available as a single bundle, get the gently caress in".

The first game came out nearly fifteen years ago, and the only sane way to play the other two was on console because on PC, even years after the fact you might be lucky and get it on sale on Origin but then you'd have to pay up for "Bioware Points" to get all the extras. We're 9 years out of Mass Effect 3, and even 2 isn't exactly a clean, easy play-through if you want the full experience.

I'm in. I've wanted this for years.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

repiv posted:

I also felt like a moron after getting it, but they were so in demand that I managed to flip it for a profit despite it being lightly used :v:

Still use mine for some games (and yeah, I don't think I've ever replaced the batteries, that poo poo really is some kind of magic). There's a lot to like, and the configuring-the-controller metagame scratches a few itches too. But I need an actual accurate dpad for a lot of games, and it just doesn't have that.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'm interested in the ME trilogy, because I missed the games the first time around (I was flat broke up until like 2012 and any PCs I had at the time were potatoes). Also I wasn't very interested in FPS games at the time, but I've since gotten into the Borderlands games due to my brother, so I'd be interested in playing ME.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I had already gotten burnt out on Bioware games before Mass Effect 1 ever came out, so I basically let the entire series pass me by. I'm still fairly happy with that decision.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Cardiovorax posted:

I love those back buttons. I got the new series x controller and it’s nice, the new dpad influenced by their elite controllers is really good, but I do miss those back buttons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

so I mentioned demos for this week's Steam Festival from the youtube trailers but I wanted to point out some more that'll be in the festival (which starts tomorrow)

some of the demos are available now

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1050370/LUNARK/ (Cinematic Platformer) - Similar to: Flashback
https://store.steampowered.com/app/820540/Bloodroots/ (Action) - Similar to: Hotline Miami, My Friend Pedro
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1509080/Nox_Archaist/ (RPG) - Similar to: original Ultima series
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1479150/Aeon_Drive_Prologue/ (Speedrun Platformer) - From the developer of Dimension Drive
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1303400/Whisker_Squadron/ - Similar to: Star Fox - From the developer of Race the Sun
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1476170/Godstrike/ - Similar to: Furi, Titan Souls
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1435790/Escape_Simulator/ (Escape Room Game) - From the developer of SEUM: Speedrunners From Hell

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Feb 3, 2021