Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

Hiring a ragtag bunch of women to chase down a box truck that's perpetually on fire, like Ghost Rider

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

D-LINK posted:

True, I want to dig 4 footers and do 4 foundations because it's smarter than doing one

Oh my god, that is my favorite thing to do. You look at the patch of dirt and think to yourself, 36"x36"x60" doesn't sound like that much work, but ~3 hours with a shovel doesn't prepare you for the ~2000 lbs of dry concrete mix that you now have pleasure of mixing and pouring for this single, tiny, structural slab. I know when I'm done with concrete work on a site, all I can think is "I can't wait to do this again!"

Seriously though OP, I don't want to harsh your vibe, but foundation work is miserable and you do not want to do it more than once. Also, I don't know how it works where you live, but in my state, you need a building engineer and sometimes an architect to draft plans that you present to the city and county before you can get a single building permit for new construction. Maybe start thinking about how your engineer and/or regulatory body will look at your ideal build

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

goddamn lol

Sam I Am
Aug 6, 2004

You're a lucky, lucky boy 'cause you know why? You get to drink from, the fire hose!
Question for Ry the Guy:
Your collection of ammunition, canned goods, and murder machines will be used to save your life during the impending invasion of (mark all that apply)
A. The government
B. Zombies
C. Aliens
D. Bears
E. Big tech
F. The Illuminati
G. Other

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.
So here is the battery cabinet so far. Pardon the mess I just bought a fuse box the other day so I can start cleaning it up.

Here is my poor marine battery that has to suffer through the early stages of the build. Its a real trooper.
Everything connected to it has its own fuse though thats not readily apparent.

Here is my 1250 tripp-lite inverter/battery charger. I currently have jumper cables connecting it to my battery, and the inverter itself is plugged into a 13amp gfci extension cord hub. I use the jumper cables to charge the battery with my truck if needed. I will be replacing them with a more suitable connection soon(tm).

Here is my 13 amp gfci extension hub that connects my inverter/charger to shore power when I park at someone's house. I got this as a safety. The 13amp gfci protects the homeowners house from me overloading their breakers. And prevents my inverter/charger from drawing too much power.

This is where the extension hub connects to shore power.

This is where my space heater and outlets Penetrate through the wall. I will put a junction box there soon(tm). I would have preferred to have the junction box on the non-living side, however, the space heater came with such a short cord that it couldn't go through the wall. Guess I could have put the junction box in the wall, but I didn't want random wires coming though a hole in the wall. Looks tacky.

Here is my battery monitor and dc outlet hub and where i plan to mount it soon(tm). Unfortunately my battery was low so the monitor was blinking and I couldn't be arsed to time the picture to show it.

Here are the dc outlets. I typically just plug some 12v electric blankets and my cell phone charger into the ports. Its a really useful device.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

:golfclap:

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

The Door Frame posted:

Oh my god, that is my favorite thing to do. You look at the patch of dirt and think to yourself, 36"x36"x60" doesn't sound like that much work, but ~3 hours with a shovel doesn't prepare you for the ~2000 lbs of dry concrete mix that you now have pleasure of mixing and pouring for this single, tiny, structural slab. I know when I'm done with concrete work on a site, all I can think is "I can't wait to do this again!"

Seriously though OP, I don't want to harsh your vibe, but foundation work is miserable and you do not want to do it more than once. Also, I don't know how it works where you live, but in my state, you need a building engineer and sometimes an architect to draft plans that you present to the city and county before you can get a single building permit for new construction. Maybe start thinking about how your engineer and/or regulatory body will look at your ideal build

Thats no problem, I work for an engineering and environmental consulting firm. My boss whom I've been renting a room from is a geotech engineer. One thing to note is that if a building is smaller than 12x12 in my state it doesn't require a permit nor really a foundation. TimberShitter for example doesn't need a building permit. Neither would the kitchen gazebo nor the workshop. Only thing that needs a permit are the MurderHaus. And they only need pier foundations. Not going to be doing any slabs either.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Rytheric posted:

So here is the battery cabinet so far. Pardon the mess I just bought a fuse box the other day so I can start cleaning it up.

Here is my poor marine battery that has to suffer through the early stages of the build. Its a real trooper.

Here is my 1250 tripp-lite inverter/battery charger. I currently have jumper cables connecting it to my battery, and the inverter itself is plugged into a 13amp gfci extension cord hub. I use the jumper cables to charge the battery with my truck if needed. I will be replacing them with a more suitable connection soon(tm).

Here is my 13 amp gfci extension hub that connects my inverter/charger to shore power when I park at someone's house. I got this as a safety. The 13amp gfci protects the homeowners house from me overloading their breakers. And prevents my inverter/charger from drawing too much power.

This is where my space heater and outlets Penetrate through the wall. I will put a junction box there soon(tm). I would have preferred to have the junction box on the non-living side, however, the space heater came with such a short cord that it couldn't go through the wall. Guess I could have put the junction box in the wall, but I didn't want random wires coming though a hole in the wall. Looks tacky.

Here is my battery monitor and dc outlet hub and where i plan to mount it soon(tm). Unfortunately my battery was low so the monitor was blinking and I couldn't be arsed to time the picture to show it.

Here are the dc outlets. I typically just plug some 12v electric blankets and my cell phone charger into the ports. Its a really useful device.

I'm the nonchalant torn $Jackson in the electrocution closet

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
I love how, to people who have no idea how electrical anything works, pretty much any mass of cables looks like it's a massive fire hazard so I have no idea whatsoever if these pictures are good updates, lol worthy, or both.

Also hey

What the gently caress?

edit:

D-LINK posted:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Oh my god

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Have you considered getting a $600 wen generator for most of your needs instead of a deathtrap of power on 1 whole battery. Like I can imagine your heater killing that thing pretty quick.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
How many car batteries a month do you need to stay warm?

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Sam I Am posted:

Question for Ry the Guy:
Your collection of ammunition, canned goods, and murder machines will be used to save your life during the impending invasion of (mark all that apply)
A. The government
B. Zombies
C. Aliens
D. Bears
E. Big tech
F. The Illuminati
G. Other

The only thing I have a collection of is 6 months of huel I saved up using my stimulus money. I have been thinking of buying a mosenberg 590m magazine fed pump action shot gun. Reason being, I've had a lot of random people just randomly try to climbing into the back my box truck only to realize I'm in it eating pizza or something.

I had one guy jump into the back while I was stopped at a stoplight. While I was driving down the road I started hearing noises in the back so I look out my side mirror and lock eyes with a guy hanging off the side illuminated in red from my taillights. He immediately jumped backwards off my truck while I was going 35mph down the road. Dude fell and rolled into the traffic behind me. I had mixed feelings over whether to stop or not, but I ultimately just drove on and left his condition a mystery as I had no idea if he was crazy and traffic behind me could have either mobbed me or It could have been an insurance scam.

Another homeless guy I somewhat knew at the pizza joint I frequented looked like he was casing me to rob me. So I grabbed my pizza, locked myself in the back, sat in my camping chair, and had my framing hammer at the ready. His girl friend ended up distracting him though so I dont know if he would have followed through with it. I dont stop to eat pizza there anymore.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

tater_salad posted:

Have you considered getting a $600 wen generator for most of your needs instead of a deathtrap of power on 1 whole battery. Like I can imagine your heater killing that thing pretty quick.

:hmmyes: Even a small Honda camping generator would be a better setup

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

D-LINK posted:

:hmmyes: Even a small Honda camping generator would be a better setup

No point in that since my truck is a defacto generator. And those are loud af. I use them for work all the time.

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

Rytheric posted:

Between this and the firepit in the screened off porch in the back of the boxtruk, I don't know what could possibly go wrong.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

D-LINK posted:

I'm the pile of thousands of torn $20 bills just off frame.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Rytheric posted:

No point in that since my truck is a defacto generator. And those are loud af. I use them for work all the time.

It is a box truck with an alternator. It is neither rated nor purpose built for residential electrical, and Honda generators are whisper quiet. You don't use them for work, or you'd know there's a significant noise difference between say a Generac or some Home Depot special and a Honda generator

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

D-LINK posted:

It is a box truck with an alternator. It is neither rated nor purpose built for residential electrical, and Honda generators are whisper quiet. You don't use them for work, or you'd know there's a significant noise difference between say a Generac or some Home Depot special and a Honda generator

You may need to get your hearing checked. I hate the sound of generators. Yeah my residential electrical is nowhere near residential electrical. Its all dc and runs off my battery. The alternator does as its designed and charges the battery.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Where is he going to fit a Honda generator in the truck? He’d have to sub out the fire pit or something.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Blue Moonlight posted:

Where is he going to fit a Honda generator in the truck? He’d have to sub out the fire pit or something.

Lol. The Honda generator is only slightly bigger than my battery. I had to argue with my uncle not to get me one for Christmas and get me the inverter instead. He is an electrical engineer and his assumptions of my power usage were wild.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Rytheric posted:

The only thing I have a collection of is 6 months of huel I saved up using my stimulus money. I have been thinking of buying a mosenberg 590m magazine fed pump action shot gun. Reason being, I've had a lot of random people just randomly try to climbing into the back my box truck only to realize I'm in it eating pizza or something.

I had one guy jump into the back while I was stopped at a stoplight. While I was driving down the road I started hearing noises in the back so I look out my side mirror and lock eyes with a guy hanging off the side illuminated in red from my taillights. He immediately jumped backwards off my truck while I was going 35mph down the road. Dude fell and rolled into the traffic behind me. I had mixed feelings over whether to stop or not, but I ultimately just drove on and left his condition a mystery as I had no idea if he was crazy and traffic behind me could have either mobbed me or It could have been an insurance scam.

Another homeless guy I somewhat knew at the pizza joint I frequented looked like he was casing me to rob me. So I grabbed my pizza, locked myself in the back, sat in my camping chair, and had my framing hammer at the ready. His girl friend ended up distracting him though so I dont know if he would have followed through with it. I dont stop to eat pizza there anymore.

please do not take anyone’s life

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

A honda generator and a generator with a honda engine are not the same.

Honda generators are quiet af. And expensive. But worth it.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

honda whisperer posted:

No one can convince me these things are quiet. They were our go to for concrete coring for a while. They are not quiet.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Compared to a running Ford V6 though?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

worst thing in a campground is someone's stupid generator

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Elviscat posted:

Compared to a running Ford V6 though?

V8. I only run it as a back up if necessary. It has the added benefit of putting my boxtruck in vibrate mode and coincidental heating.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

taqueso posted:

worst thing in a campground is someone's stupid generator

Absolutely. After working construction for 3 years all I want to hear is the animals and plants rustling or the sound of a fire crackling. I dont even use power tools unless I have to. Thats why I'm going to be timber framing everything. F that noise. Its bs enough I have a 6000hz whine in my ear constantly.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

You could sans generator if you build a good battery cabinet out of 18650s with a solar array on the roof to power it throughout the day. In fact you could probably generate a surplus of power for your needs. Allowing you to go off the grid longer and make even smaller of a footprint.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

op what job do you have to complete to get the other 1/2 of the 20?

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

honda whisperer posted:

Seconding this- Honda gennies are absolutely the boss, especially the newer super lightweight ones. You put it 20-30 feet away and you barely notice the thing, especially if you're inside and it's outside. 65-70db is pretty impressive. You can be on top of one of those things all day and it's not really a nuisance. I've used some older ones at outdoor shows and stuff like that and even those were quiet enough to power my PA system and not really be annoying to the crowd even when it was just a person talking into a mic. Fantastically well made product.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Danhenge posted:

Resmed's DC power cord has DC step-up from 12v to 24v (or maybe 36? I can't remember) which is still more efficient than the inverter/rectifier setup. Respironics and other brands can use straight 12v.

Not sure about all models, but mine is 24V. I am building a battery pack for it for camping. I wish this thing used 12V, it'd make the battery pack easier.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Rytheric posted:

No one can convince me these things are quiet. They were our go to for concrete coring for a while. They are not quiet.

Like I get any engine sucks camping but if you need power, that's designed to make electricity. Your truck is designed to move itself and makes just enough electricity to accomplish that.

For a generator they're amazing.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

The Voice of Labor posted:

op what job do you have to complete to get the other 1/2 of the 20?

op is gonna live off the land he has no use for $20s anymore

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003
how many prepper forums have you been laughed out of so that you have to slink in here with this bullshit, lol

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Gramps posted:

Seconding this- Honda gennies are absolutely the boss, especially the newer super lightweight ones. You put it 20-30 feet away and you barely notice the thing, especially if you're inside and it's outside. 65-70db is pretty impressive. You can be on top of one of those things all day and it's not really a nuisance. I've used some older ones at outdoor shows and stuff like that and even those were quiet enough to power my PA system and not really be annoying to the crowd even when it was just a person talking into a mic. Fantastically well made product.

30 feet away from my boxtruck. Maybe on the land of MurderHaus, but probably not practical else where for me as I would want it on my porch. Im already getting flack for having one flamable object on my porch and it probably produces ac which id have to invert.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Emacs Headroom posted:

how many prepper forums have you been laughed out of so that you have to slink in here with this bullshit, lol

Lol. This is actually the first place outside of discord and the workplace that I've mentioned it. One coworker almost wrecked the car in tears over me potentially inviting a lady to my watertower observatory and then telling her to go poo poo in the outhouse afterwards.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Space Kablooey posted:

op is gonna live off the land he has no use for $20s anymore

The other half in in my box truck somewhere. I dropped it on the floor while building and figured it was safe there for a while until a scrap piece of wood ripped it into. Now I know where one half is, I'm going to let it stay there til I find the other half and unite them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Rytheric posted:

inviting a lady to my watertower observatory and then telling her to go poo poo in the outhouse afterwards.

:goodshit: