Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Most of NJPW’s biggest current stars are all well over 30 but the thing is they’re constantly training fresh young talent who get to mix it up with the veterans until they’re ready for the spotlight.

WWE mostly seems to poach people who’ve already been in the business for a good long while and then keep them in NXT learning where the hard cam is so when they debut on the main roster, they’re already on the older side. They just are unable to make stars of their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

a cyborg mug posted:

Most of NJPW’s biggest current stars are all well over 30 but the thing is they’re constantly training fresh young talent who get to mix it up with the veterans until they’re ready for the spotlight.

Plus they're more than willing to put the title on someone new if it's the right someone. Jay White was 26 when he won the IWGP heavyweight title, and he main evented the Tokyo Dome at 28.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

If you have cool stories for old guys or the old guy has never gotten a chance you can have a really fun product with old guys (but should be getting newer talent heated up because you need to keep things fresh.)

If you have bad stories for old guys it feels way more stale than if you have bad stories for young guys since at least the young guy is something new.

This is more or less the perfect explanation, swinging and missing with an old guy sucks more than swinging and missing with a young guy because meeting someone new is interesting. The WWF has made it so that literally no one on their roster is ever going to be the new kid in town again.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Some people just want to die in the ring.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

In CMLL you aren't even allowed to sniff the semi-main until age 45

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

a cyborg mug posted:

who do you consider njpw's biggest stars?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Procrastinator posted:

The current main event people, primarily the heavyweights. My post was worded somewhat poorly because I didn’t mean they’re all over 40 because that’d be incorrect, just that most aren’t 30 or in their early 30s anymore

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Procrastinator posted:

New Japan's 30 over 30 Top Stars:

Kota Ibushi, 38
Tetsuya Naito, 38
Hiroshi Tanahashi, 44
Kazuchika Okada, 33
Hiromu Takahashi, 31
King of Pro Wrestling Toru Yano, 42
KENTA, 39
Satoshi Kojima, 50
Minoru Suzuki, 52
Yuji Nagata, 52
Shingo Takagi, 38
Taichi, 40
Zack Sabre Jr, 33
Taiji Ishimori, 37
Sanada, 33
El Phantasmo, 34
El Desperado, 37
Yoshinobu Kanemaru, 44
:yoshihashi: 38
EVIL, 34
Jeff Cobb, 38
Dick Togo, 51

I've grown bored of my own joke, so that means this post is probably not great.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
The problem with WWE's main event roster can be boiled all the way back down to "You don't want x, you want SHEAMUS" except they didn't push Sheamus properly either. Not that it matters, they'll still keep making bank because people think the WWE is mainstream even if they've lost a quarter of their audience every year since WM 30.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

it's just a fun thing for disingenuous dorks to latch onto, average age is a metric that supports the thesis that wwe's focused too heavily on things that aren't attempting to build up young stars, it isn't the point in and of itself.
if you want to count sting and matt hardy in there as "old guys" and skew an average age, sure, but the entire point of their characters right now are to be a launchpad for younger guys in private party and darby allin. same thing with jericho, he was champ for a fledgling promotion trying to get off the ground but he's spent the last few months putting orange cassidy over and now he's been an occasional tag team wrestler and full time promo guy with the purpose of getting mjf over.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

sleepwalkers posted:

it's just a fun thing for disingenuous dorks to latch onto, average age is a metric that supports the thesis that wwe's focused too heavily on things that aren't attempting to build up young stars, it isn't the point in and of itself.
if you want to count sting and matt hardy in there as "old guys" and skew an average age, sure, but the entire point of their characters right now are to be a launchpad for younger guys in private party and darby allin. same thing with jericho, he was champ for a fledgling promotion trying to get off the ground but he's spent the last few months putting orange cassidy over and now he's been an occasional tag team wrestler and full time promo guy with the purpose of getting mjf over.

Exactly. I was thinking about this yesterday. If WWE used older guys to try and get a new guy over, they'd have done something like pair up Ricochet and Carlito.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

karmicknight posted:

This is more or less the perfect explanation, swinging and missing with an old guy sucks more than swinging and missing with a young guy because meeting someone new is interesting. The WWF has made it so that literally no one on their roster is ever going to be the new kid in town again.

The worst thing that all these discussions focusing just on age are missing is that it's the same loving guys, over and over, in WWE. Orton's been there for almost two decades now, Wyatt's been around for a decade, Miz for 15+ years, Goldberg off and on since the 90s, Lesnar off and on for two decades, etc.

The only two male workers who you can reasonably say was a first time PPV main eventer (non-NXT, non obvious B-show like Smackville) since 2019 were Drew McIntyre and Jey Uso. Uso's been on the roster for 11 years now. McIntyre first debuted in WWE in 2007, though that was short lived and he was in FCW until 2009.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

sleepwalkers posted:

Jericho is basically doing Hollywood Hogan if Hogan wasn't a stupid rear end in a top hat. He's not as insecure as Hogan was about staying over, he knows he'll be over no matter what so he gives back to the younger guys and puts over babyfaces with just enough dominance to maintain his credibility. As much of an idiot in real life as he is, the guy is a wrestling genius.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Taichi is the future of NJPW and he's 40

Otis is 29 and he represents the deathknell of WWE

It's all in the booking

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Otis could be in the same position as John Silver is in AEW if they let him.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Eat My Fuc posted:

Jericho is basically doing Hollywood Hogan if Hogan wasn't a stupid rear end in a top hat. He's not as insecure as Hogan was about staying over, he knows he'll be over no matter what so he gives back to the younger guys and puts over babyfaces with just enough dominance to maintain his credibility. As much of an idiot in real life as he is, the guy is a wrestling genius.
Jericho the human is still a stupid, insecure, rear end in a top hat, and chud. But his career in AEW has been pretty selfless in putting people over, I can hate him as a person but I still respect that he's using his celebrity to constantly put other people over. He also donates a lot to non MAGA related charities and directly to struggling wrestlers. But he still donated a lot of money to Trump. A man of many contrasts

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

RealFoxy posted:

Jericho the human is still a stupid, insecure, rear end in a top hat, and chud. But his career in AEW has been pretty selfless in putting people over, I can hate him as a person but I still respect that he's using his celebrity to constantly put other people over. He also donates a lot to non MAGA related charities and directly to struggling wrestlers. But he still donated a lot of money to Trump. A man of many contrasts

Jericho the human has also protected a lot of the kids of his wrestler friends like Brian Pillman Jr. and David Benoit so it's not all that straightforward either.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Otis could be in the same position as John Silver is in AEW if they let him.

This is a great comparison. Otis has a lot of that sincere "lovable goof" energy and if Vince's brain wasn't jello salad he'd be able to capitalize on it and make the guy a star and move poo poo tons of merch.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Pylons posted:

Jericho the human has also protected a lot of the kids of his wrestler friends like Brian Pillman Jr. and David Benoit so it's not all that straightforward either.
He's also given a platform to Nyla Rose and become a vocal supporter of trans rights.

But still donated to Trump, multiple times.

He might lean harder to right-wing chud but he does stick his neck out for the people he works with he should theoretically despise.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/BonafideHeat/status/1356647663190556672

LIJ fans, famous for also loving Bullet Club and AEW

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

"Wins a rumble after sitting in the corner the entire match and no-selling an RKO" doesn't sound as impressive.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Benne posted:

I mean, I love all 3.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Benne posted:

This feels like major WWE brain somehow. WWE pushed the nerd "online" fan and now, despite the fact that everyone is online, apparently the loser fat nerd is the one who likes the entertaining wrestling companies and presumably the cool normal online fans are the ones who gotta stand up for giant evil corporations.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

You're laughing now, but Edge winning the title at WM from Orton is going to be a much better feel good moment than Bianca losing to Flair, who took the title off Auska in a random RAW match while EC sets up another Sasha/Bayley match.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

RealFoxy posted:

He might lean harder to right-wing chud but he does stick his neck out for the people he works with he should theoretically despise.

This is actually quite a common thing among certainly the right wing people I know, who can be personally generous and politically heartless, and can lack empathy until an issue affects them personally.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

sleepwalkers posted:

i get why you’re unable to give him the benefit of the doubt, but you gotta be able to notice when you’re the only one standing in that corner and think “ah, maybe i’ve misread this in part due to my legit grievance with him.”
Perhaps, but what he actually said can just as easily be read as "the rumor is he paid and the accompanying joke I keep hearing is that he's the new Otto Wanz," not "people are joking that he must have paid for it and is thus the new Otto Wanz."

Punch McLightning posted:

I have no recollection of Dave doing that previously. I do remember that it’s been discussed on these forums before.

Also, is Rosenberg part of the media or WWE PR?
A WWE performer who is also a member of the media in his actual full-time job. Like Todd Pettengill. "Media" =/= "news media" or "journalists."

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

davidbix posted:

Perhaps, but what he actually said can just as easily be read as "the rumor is he paid and the accompanying joke I keep hearing is that he's the new Otto Wanz," not "people are joking that he must have paid for it and is thus the new Otto Wanz."

A WWE performer who is also a member of the media in his actual full-time job. Like Todd Pettengill. "Media" =/= "news media" or "journalists."

Bryan asked if he was kidding and he said yeah.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Lamuella posted:

This is actually quite a common thing among certainly the right wing people I know, who can be personally generous and politically heartless, and can lack empathy until an issue affects them personally.

my whole family is like this, they'll donate to charities to help foreign kids but also defend ICE

also re: dumb tweets, getting hyped for Sting barely walking down the ramp is the point, I want him around doing things but not main eventing or winning rumbles, what even is nuance

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

MassRafTer posted:

Bryan asked if he was kidding and he said yeah.
...someone could have mentioned this sooner. (Since it was clipped out of the versionn circulating on Twitter, I guess.)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

davidbix posted:

...someone could have mentioned this sooner. (Since it was clipped out of the versionn circulating on Twitter, I guess.)

It's in the version on twitter.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

MassRafTer posted:

It's in the version on twitter.
It is? Bryan asked him and he confirmed he was kidding? Where?

EDIT: OK, I didn't remember it because Dave basically ignores him.
https://twitter.com/TomBlargh/status/1356294880427913216
Again, I'm pretty sure I remember Dave (MAYBE Bryan) seriously signal boosting the "paying to work for WWE" rumor before years ago, so I really don't think it would be a stretch.

davidbix fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 3, 2021

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
"You've gotta be kidding me." "Yeah, cuz the big joke on the internet is he's the new Otto Wanz."

This isn't even subtext, it's text.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

MassRafTer posted:

"You've gotta be kidding me." "Yeah, cuz the big joke on the internet is he's the new Otto Wanz."

This isn't even subtext, it's text.
I really, really don't think that "yeah" is a direct answer to "you've got to be kidding me." It sounds like word filler, and I'm fairly sure I remember Dave using "yeah" as a sentence-starting word filler like "well"/"uh"/"umm"/"I mean..."/etc. all the time.

It's not clear and could be taken either way, sure, but his tone is not that of someone who's saying "yeah, I'm just joshing you" to Bryan.,

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Did he emphasize the “yeah” or the “got” in “yeah you’ve got to be kidding me”

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Did he emphasize the “yeah” or the “got” in “yeah you’ve got to be kidding me”

These PRETZELS are making me thirsty.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

this evening dave said "yeah, cuz the big joke on the internet is that i'm serious"

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

davidbix posted:

I really, really don't think that "yeah" is a direct answer to "you've got to be kidding me." It sounds like word filler, and I'm fairly sure I remember Dave using "yeah" as a sentence-starting word filler like "well"/"uh"/"umm"/"I mean..."/etc. all the time.

It's not clear and could be taken either way, sure, but his tone is not that of someone who's saying "yeah, I'm just joshing you" to Bryan.,

If yeah is just word filler why does he then say "cuz" as if he is explaining the yeah and talk about how it is the joke of the internet? This is something that seems played for laughs the way many WOR tangents like this are about an on screen WWE character who has joked about this himself after his co-worker Kevin Owens popularized the idea that he paid to be on the air.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

MassRafTer posted:

If yeah is just word filler why does he then say "cuz" as if he is explaining the yeah and talk about how it is the joke of the internet? This is something that seems played for laughs the way many WOR tangents like this are about an on screen WWE character who has joked about this himself after his co-worker Kevin Owens popularized the idea that he paid to be on the air.
OK, but again, I can't blame that Greg dude being that Dave had previously boosted the original rumor with a straight face.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

A fair amount of people on Dave's board took it seriously. Shrug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

collocation posted:

A fair amount of people on Dave's board took it seriously. Shrug.

The board is full of lots of wrong people so I feel even more confident.

https://twitter.com/DarthBuce/status/1356789953871687683

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 3, 2021