Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Savy Saracen salad posted:

That sounds really boring. 3 evil subfactions with same general mechanics as they are demons. Compare this to the different mechanics with each unique race in baseline WH 1 and WH 2. Does not make much sense honestly.

I think it's possible to handle multiple Chaos Factions without being boring. Give them unique mechanics so that playing Nurgle doesn't feel like playing Khorne But Green. I think that overall, Chaos is better as a single faction with divergent LLs, but I'm not 100% against splitting it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Most of the fantasy elf units are supposed to be mixed gender as they practice universal conscription but no one ever bothers to do that so they’re all dudes except in the 100% woman units

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
WH3 better let me invade the chaos realms as Grimgor.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Both base games came with 4 complete factions, not including pre-order stuff. I'd be very surprised if 3 just launched with just various Chaos factions (sub factions?) and Kislev and asked $60 for it

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
If the base game is just chaos factions and Kislev, 75% of the campaigns they would just be fighting each other. I don't think anyone wants that.

Edit: unless they decide to throw in a bunch of game 1 and 2 LL's onto the third game campaign map.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Well hopefully CA will pull a Skaven and reveal another faction late into the hype cycle.

Or and here's a really out there one, since it's set in the Darklands have it set up so if you've got a game 2 LL that could appear in the Darklands, have them playable straight away.

Tretch's time to shine :v:

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 2, 2021

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Most of the fantasy elf units are supposed to be mixed gender as they practice universal conscription but no one ever bothers to do that so they’re all dudes except in the 100% woman units

Yeah, that I think even was in the tabletop armybooks for a long time, it's sort of the same problem you get with the Imperial Guard, where alot of the regiments, particularly the Cadians should probably be more or less evenly split between men and women, but it was just never reflected in the models.

I think you could suspend your disbelief with the old high elf units being a mix of male and female, because those all had armor, helmets and uniforms and were somewhat slender. You don't need boobplates or hour glass shapes. But it's a bit harder to suspend your disbelief when all of the models have this face.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 2, 2021

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

Randarkman posted:

But it's a bit harder to suspend your disbelief when all of the models have this face.

She's...handsome...

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Broken Cog posted:

Yeah I was wondering whether Grimgor could beat up a Bloodthirster

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

Just the idea of Grimgor krumping a bunch of daemons whilst back up by Rogue Idols of best god Gork (or Mork) makes me giddy :allears:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Oh my god

quote:

Grimgor then battered Archaon twice around the face before placing his axe on the tip of his foe's throat. Rather than strike the final blow, however, Grimgor spared his opponent, letting him slump to the ground. The Orc proclaimed "Grimgor iz da best!" and quit the field, cheered by his followers...[3]

:allears:

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Well hopefully CA will pull a Skaven and reveal another faction late into the hype cycle.

Or and here's a really out there one, since it's set in the Darklands have it set up so if you've got a game 2 LL that could appear in the Darklands, have them playable straight away.

Tretch's time to shine :v:

I could see a Nagash faction. Either being a reworked Vampire Counts or a new thing.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I want Grimgor to go into Khorne's blood-drenched corner of the Chaos Realm, kick him in the nuts, scream "GRIMGOR IZ DA BEST" and then head off to krump the other weird gitz.

That should be his questline.

Also, Nagash would be awesome but I know there would be people screaming bloody murder about "more undead", the same way they would if there was "more skaven". Like, I get it, they have a lot of content already and everyone has their own favorite faction... BUT NAGASH! THE HATTIEST SKELLY BOI! His hat skills are rivaled only by the chorfs!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I cannot stop laughing at Grimgor headbutting the end of everything into submission and yelling he's the best

It's just so loving orky

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I would like, if we do get Nagash or another undead faction, we got skelingtons that weren't just humans. Give use some big skeleton Kroxigors or a regiment of zombie Goblins riding bats.

Having the undead be 3 major factions but they're all just dead humans is kinda lame since its not like humans are innately attuned to undeath or anything.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Gonkish posted:

Also, Nagash would be awesome but I know there would be people screaming bloody murder about "more undead", the same way they would if there was "more skaven". Like, I get it, they have a lot of content already and everyone has their own favorite faction... BUT NAGASH! THE HATTIEST SKELLY BOI! His hat skills are rivaled only by the chorfs!

While I would love an Undead Legion unique faction, I think now that the doors been flung open with Ghoritch and Ariel, think he's going to be made a Legendary Hero.

Which would still be cool, maybe VC, Coast, and Arkham could unlock him.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Gonkish posted:

I want Grimgor to go into Khorne's blood-drenched corner of the Chaos Realm, kick him in the nuts, scream "GRIMGOR IZ DA BEST" and then head off to krump the other weird gitz.

That should be his questline.

Nagash would make sense if Chaos are ascending though surely? Isn't causing poo poo like his entire deal?

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Them blowing up the old fantasy world would of been alot easier to swallow if it was because the Orks won. They rule.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Broken Cog posted:

If the base game is just chaos factions and Kislev, 75% of the campaigns they would just be fighting each other. I don't think anyone wants that.

Edit: unless they decide to throw in a bunch of game 1 and 2 LL's onto the third game campaign map.

You could make four/five hordes of chaos factions with entirely unique rosters and mechanics, it'd just be a lot more work than lifting the extant army books.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Kaza42 posted:

I think it's possible to handle multiple Chaos Factions without being boring. Give them unique mechanics so that playing Nurgle doesn't feel like playing Khorne But Green. I think that overall, Chaos is better as a single faction with divergent LLs, but I'm not 100% against splitting it

Outside of mechanics, having a separate Realms of Chaos map only Chaos factions (And maybe super-charged Order factions on a fiery Crusade) can enter would help, you could have all four Chaos god factions, with tons of splinter factions fighting each other for dominance, which is 100% lore friendly (Zeentzch loves pitting his pawn against each other all the freaking time). Then, as the Chaos Cults rise in power in the real world, those Chaos god Factions can launch invasions into the real world.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Nagash would make sense if Chaos are ascending though surely? Isn't causing poo poo like his entire deal?

Nagash's goal in the End Times was to basically eat the Chaos gods and become the ultimate being. And the Chaos Gods are scared shitless by Nagash because A) he could totally do that, and B) chaotic energies do jack poo poo against undead.

So yeah he would actually make sense as a "villain" faction for the Chaos factions to face.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I am still upset this cant be reflected in elf units drat it. :argh:

Also Nagash isnt VC and normal VC should not unlock him. Literally every vampire but that loving nerd w'Soran loathes Nagash.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 3, 2021

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I will be very surprised if Nagash is not in as the leader of his own new Undead faction type. It just makes too much sense to have him. I dont care if a bunch of nobodies on reddit whine about it, its part of the lore.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I will be very surprised if Nagash is not in as the leader of his own new Undead faction type. It just makes too much sense to have him. I dont care if a bunch of nobodies on reddit whine about it, its part of the lore.

Yeah all of the existing ones aside from Arkhan all hate his guts, he has to have his own thing. And he should because he's just that big of a deal. I'd prefer to just see him as an end game crisis type, but whatever is done with him, he does deserve to get in.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Eimi posted:

I am still upset this cant be reflected in elf units drat it. :argh:

Also Nagash isnt VC and normal VC should not unlock him. Literally every vampire but that loving nerd w'Soran loathes Nagash.

It's honestly not really reflected in the lore very well either. In all the High Elf books I've read, all the Spearmen, Silver Helms, guys manning the Mountain Gates are 100% dudes. I think conscription is 100% of the men, but not the women, given that the High Elves recognize that their species is in decline and having less and less kids every year.

You do have some female warriors in the novels, the Swordmasters of Hoeth, different mages, the Archers of Avelorn, but I never got the feeling that Illyrian Reavers, Silver Helms, Spearmen, etc. were female too.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Eimi posted:

Yeah all of the existing ones aside from Arkhan all hate his guts, he has to have his own thing. And he should because he's just that big of a deal. I'd prefer to just see him as an end game crisis type, but whatever is done with him, he does deserve to get in.
:agreed: I would love him as what the Warriors of Chaos currently are in terms of when the faction is in play - if you are playing as them you spawn "at the beginning of the game" e.g. when everyone is in their 'start position' but if you dont play as him, he shows up eventually somewhere semi-random once certain criteria are met and its a big loving deal.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I don’t know man, the undead all seemed keen on being pro Nagash. Even Neferata.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Nagash was weak

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

jokes posted:

I don’t know man, the undead all seemed keen on being pro Nagash. Even Neferata.

they don't really have much choice in the matter, Nagash can puppet intelligent undead as easily as they puppet skeletons and zombies, even those that can resist can be undone with a thought as Nagash can just unbind the magic that animates them

Dude invented Necromancy and is one of the very few "mortals" to have ever physically harmed the Chaos gods themselves

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Vagabong posted:

Them blowing up the old fantasy world would of been alot easier to swallow if it was because the Orks won. They rule.

iirc the old world end times is basically Skaven loving everything up with Archaon cleaning up and taking credit.

Turns out crashing a moon into the planet does stuff.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Broken Cog posted:

So if AoS lore is supposedly decent now, why is there basically nothing about it going around outside of their inner circles? I see plenty of WHF and 40k fanart and memes pretty much everywhere, but I don't think I've ever seen any of AoS outside of places specificly for the game (subreddits, forums, etc).

Cause it's newer and does not have any cool major video games yet.

But I have started to see more of it's stuff in the wild due to it's growing popularity.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

So if AoS lore is supposedly decent now, why is there basically nothing about it going around outside of their inner circles? I see plenty of WHF and 40k fanart and memes pretty much everywhere, but I don't think I've ever seen any of AoS outside of places specificly for the game (subreddits, forums, etc).

I have a suspicion it might not be as personable as its Fantasy and 40k counterparts.

Part of it is that much of the interesting stuff is a top down lift from the rest of the Warhammer settings. Part of it is it simply hasn't reached the point where it's a cultural touchstone; that takes years and e.g. Warmachine never did. Part of it is chud-avoidance; one of the better new things is the faction full of angry tree-ladies who aren't a half dressed male gaze fetish faction despite being predominantly female. (Of course about the only thing Drycha is missing from her AoS faction is the Kurnoth hunters with bows and with great weapons).

But a big part is that it seems to entirely be lacking Blood Bowl - and Soulbound is no WFRP. We've got no glaring example of what people do for entertainment in the setting or that there is much attention paid to average folks. We've also got no meme-creating video games the way Dawn of War was for the Imperium and Orcs alike. And when I think of the heavy hitting games in recent years I think of Total Warhammer and Vermintide - both set in the Old World. For that matter one of the only two AoS video games I'm aware of, Warhammer Underworlds Online, has Warhammer but not Age of Sigmar in the name.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I was going to ask how you'd do AoS without a world map since I've only ever seen that disc image but Googling gave me this?

I like how the equivalent of Indochina in this world is basically unchanged.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I can't wait to play as a walking pimple and his cousins Red Orc, BDSM Enthusiast, and Just An Actual Bird

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Kaza42 posted:

I've been saying for a while I think there will end up being seven separate chaos factions, not counting Morathi and Norsca. Beastmen, Warriors, and Demons as the cross-deity options, and the four gods each getting a roster that's their demons and some pickings from warriors and beastmen. But e.g. only beastmen get minotaurs and cygors.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

neonchameleon posted:

But a big part is that it seems to entirely be lacking Blood Bowl - and Soulbound is no WFRP. We've got no glaring example of what people do for entertainment in the setting or that there is much attention paid to average folks.

Soulbound has been doing a pretty job on that. There is an entire chunk of chapter devoted to normal people's lives.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mantis42 posted:

I was going to ask how you'd do AoS without a world map since I've only ever seen that disc image but Googling gave me this?

I like how the equivalent of Indochina in this world is basically unchanged.

To be exact that is the Great Parch a Eurasia sized area that is one of the more detailed and fleshed out part of the setting being the home to multiple major Cities.

It's still only a small part of Aqshy as a whole. But the rest of it is more or less purposefully left blank for writers and creators to do whatever they want with it.

The other Realms have recently gotten one of their major areas explained in detail and a map supplied for them.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I hope the Mortal Empires map gets even bigger in TW:WH 3.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Seams posted:

I hope the Mortal Empires map gets even bigger in TW:WH 3.

Honestly they still have a fair amount of empty space in it they could expand for 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

bigger map and more rats!