Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

this is what u get for "180 x 180 avatars"

this is what u fucking get u bithc
Fun Shoe

prom candy posted:

buy low while high

:aaa: :420: :350: :2bong: :psypop:

An allegory, told with SA Emoticons. My magnum opus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

LeafHouse posted:

I still don’t understand the difference between a stock and a broth ira and at this point I’m afraid to ask

An IRA (roth or vanilla) is a vessel that you put your money into. Sometimes your boss agrees to put in money too. The money in that cannot be used for human purposes until you turn like "old 1/2 years". All that money can be used on Stonks and other financial products.

This is a good system to have be the sole method of retirement for everyone because

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

Fun Shoe

KirbyKhan posted:

An IRA (roth or vanilla) is a vessel that you put your money into. Sometimes your boss agrees to put in money too. The money in that cannot be used for human purposes until you turn like "old 1/2 years". All that money can be used on Stonks and other financial products.

This is a good system to have be the sole method of retirement for everyone because

Can't you pull out monies from a Roth without penalty prior to age 59 1/2 or whatever? I've been wanting to convert my IRA into a Roth one, but I'm afraid of that tax chunk that'll come after it, but if I can pull monies out in the long run in case I need it...:shrug:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

KirbyKhan posted:

NUMBER GO UP, of course. Gotta inject more money into the market to speculate with.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

dalstrs posted:

Looks like the warrants are for an exercise price of $6.25 a share. At $.50 each, isn't that a pretty bad value for a $2.xx a share stock?

I thought the exercise price was 2.65? Because yeah, that's poo poo.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

dalstrs posted:

Looks like the warrants are for an exercise price of $6.25 a share. At $.50 each, isn't that a pretty bad value for a $2.xx a share stock?

It is a gamestop preorder: You put down 5bux today for the right, but not the obligation, to purchase that thing at X price in the Y time window. So if stock is poo poo, just don't buy the rest, you are out your .50cent/share investment. If the stock good, you pay your low pre-negotiated rate. If stock same then wherever.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

pliable posted:

Can't you pull out monies from a Roth without penalty prior to age 59 1/2 or whatever? I've been wanting to convert my IRA into a Roth one, but I'm afraid of that tax chunk that'll come after it, but if I can pull monies out in the long run in case I need it...:shrug:

I just paid the penalty because I was spooked that it was all falling apart and in that mindframe at 15% penalty is better than losing it all. I was wrong, number go up.

You ~can~ pull money out but you gotta write letters and use it for a house or some impossible poo poo that are only edge cases for rich people. My favorite thing that makes me lmao is that you can take out a lone based on your IRA and holy lol goddamn that is 3 layers of extra on an already dumb system.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

the trick to retirement is to die young. think, then, of the fifth of scotch you drink everyday as an investment.

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

Fun Shoe

KirbyKhan posted:

I just paid the penalty because I was spooked that it was all falling apart and in that mindframe at 15% penalty is better than losing it all. I was wrong, number go up.

You ~can~ pull money out but you gotta write letters and use it for a house or some impossible poo poo that are only edge cases for rich people. My favorite thing that makes me lmao is that you can take out a lone based on your IRA and holy lol goddamn that is 3 layers of extra on an already dumb system.

Oh, well gently caress. Eh I mean I'll still change it once poo poo gets a little more stable for me, cause I'd rather pay that tax now vs later.

Yudo posted:

the trick to retirement is to die young. think, then, of the fifth of scotch you drink everyday as an investment.

lmao I'm counting on America and its love of whiskey for data.

Also, I think I decided that I'm gonna keep my Robinhood account too, but transfer most stocks out of it. They *did* pioneer the whole zero commission thing, and if they can be disruptive again to where it changes the rules even a tiny bit in our favor, then I support that. But gonna use a bigger broker next time so I don't get cockblocked on a GME-like party again.

pliable fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 3, 2021

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

Yudo posted:

I thought the exercise price was 2.65? Because yeah, that's poo poo.
I pulled that from their 12-17 prospectus. If it was $2.65 I'd go in on those.

KirbyKhan posted:

It is a gamestop preorder: You put down 5bux today for the right, but not the obligation, to purchase that thing at X price in the Y time window. So if stock is poo poo, just don't buy the rest, you are out your .50cent/share investment. If the stock good, you pay your low pre-negotiated rate. If stock same then wherever.

I get that, but I think at this valuation it is a poo poo return on your risk vs a normal share.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

dalstrs posted:

I pulled that from their 12-17 prospectus. If it was $2.65 I'd go in on those.

I get that, but I think at this valuation it is a poo poo return on your risk vs a normal share.

Oh yeah, bad price. Jesus, all my accounting education taught me these terms and vehicles and their tax implications. But as far as what numeric values are normal I don't fuckin know. When I was at working Hollywood all numbers were big and it felt like nothing didn't ever matter, when I'm at home number small and my impulse purchase of the day feels like it matters a great deal.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

DoomTrainPhD posted:

:doh: Yeah I, I'm dumb and forgot 401Ks are Vanguard, not Hedge funds. :doh:

Edit:

Even Ted Benna has called the 401K a monster that should be blown up.

Your last several posts make absolutely zero sense and I hope no one listens to you.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Flowers for QAnon posted:

Your last several posts make absolutely zero sense and I hope no one listens to you.

You’re telling me I shouldn’t have traded my vanguard login for a Lebron rookie card? You’ve ruined me, Dr. Doomtrain.

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

Fun Shoe
Back to the whole /u/DFV debacle, I read somewhere that he's an actual financial advisor, is that true? I mean if so, maybe he has some grandiose master strat that'll blow GME out of the water? Highly doubt it but lol :shrug:

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

LeafHouse posted:

I still don’t understand the difference between a stock and a broth ira and at this point I’m afraid to ask

An IRA is a contradiction because it's for retirement yet it encourages the most degenerate of gambling in it.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

pliable posted:

Back to the whole /u/DFV debacle, I read somewhere that he's an actual financial advisor, is that true? I mean if so, maybe he has some grandiose master strat that'll blow GME out of the water? Highly doubt it but lol :shrug:

paging cumshitter

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

pliable posted:

You can pull your contributions out of a Roth IRA at any time penalty free (you've already paid income tax on this money too). Of course when you do this that's tax advantaged space that you never get back. Your earnings on the other hand are subject to the mentioned rules where you're subject to a penalty if you pull out before a certain age other than for a handful of exceptions.

So if you contribute 20k over a few years, turn that into 60k, you can pull that original 20k out with 0 penalty. If you are going to do that, you need to keep track of your contributions vs withdrawals to ensure you're not accidentally dipping into your earnings (and I think there's a tax form related to this you may need to fill out in some cases to prove to the IRS you're pulling out contributions).

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

KirbyKhan posted:

You ~can~ pull money out but you gotta write letters and use it for a house or some impossible poo poo that are only edge cases for rich people.

https://www.schwab.com/ira/roth-ira/withdrawal-rules

"There are exceptions to the early withdrawal penalty, such as a first-time home purchase, college expenses, and birth or adoption expenses."

Age and holding the Roth for at least five years are major factors.

Zerstorung
Jun 27, 2008

pliable posted:

The real twist is when he reveals he works for Citadel and they were just using WSB as pawns to initiate a hostile takeover of Melvin Capital.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

cr0y posted:

I'm hearing DFW is a chartered financial analyst? Uhhh I think he might be getting some additional heat from the SEC...

Why? I don't know if he's even violated the code and standards.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Zerstorung posted:

The real twist is when he reveals he works for Citadel and they were just using WSB as pawns to initiate a hostile takeover of Melvin Capital.

Melvin was founded by SAC alumni, so Steve Cohen and Ken Griffin exchanging a dollar over this wager would be on point.

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

Fun Shoe

Splinter posted:

You can pull your contributions out of a Roth IRA at any time penalty free (you've already paid income tax on this money too). Of course when you do this that's tax advantaged space that you never get back. Your earnings on the other hand are subject to the mentioned rules where you're subject to a penalty if you pull out before a certain age other than for a handful of exceptions.

So if you contribute 20k over a few years, turn that into 60k, you can pull that original 20k out with 0 penalty. If you are going to do that, you need to keep track of your contributions vs withdrawals to ensure you're not accidentally dipping into your earnings (and I think there's a tax form related to this you may need to fill out in some cases to prove to the IRS you're pulling out contributions).

Ahhhh okay, that makes sense. And also sounds v loving annoying to keep track of. Would be v useful for emergency purposes, though it sounds like? Thank you all for the info, kindly <3

Zerstorung posted:

I would pay the price of one admission to a movie film to see a movie film based on this premise

pliable fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Feb 3, 2021

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Ravel posted:

Why? I don't know if he's even violated the code and standards.

I don't know either but DFV has over a year of posts about this and ~100 hours of youtube Livestreams on the topic. The SEC have already stated they will be investigating what's been said on Reddit. I'd be concerned that I didn't say anything I should'nt have if I was him as he's obviously a high profile target in this whole mess.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

can we call ourselves the Consortium of Uneducated Naive Traders?

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

Fun Shoe
^^ only if we invest our entire net worth into SA :hellyeah:

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Enjoy the meme!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Rofl at all the people at WSB who invested college funds, life savings etc. I really like the whole GME circus though. I've learnt a lot and become more interested in stocks. It's also been interesting to see (more clearly) all the bullshit going on in the finance world. Best of all, nothing is going to change and the rich will become richer.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
The best part of the GME fiasco is those who took a dump at the wrong time and lost 30% of their stake.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
https://twitter.com/lukeisamazing/status/1356687349867024389

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
So what's goon opinion of PLTR like long term?

From what I've seen they're arguably the best at what they do but very expensive. Do any of you see them managing to get any government contracts in the future?

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

If it had AMC it would have been the holy grail of buying meme stocks at the height.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

From what I've seen they're arguably the best at what they do but very expensive. Do any of you see them managing to get any government contracts in the future?

They're named after an arcane artifact from Middle-Earth. Excellent buy.

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler

don't doxx me

Responding to yesterday's SPCE talk, I got in and cashed out and got back in at a relatively reasonable point, but I'm (within reason) in it for the long haul as well. I have a bit of a soft spot for space tourism and commercial space travel, as silly as that is. Also God bless Elon for blowing up his dumb rocket

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
Picked up 200 NDRA @2.13. Thanks for the heads up.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

tangy yet delightful posted:

Doubled since this post in August, I really shouldn't look back and just own myself like this.

One negative for IIPR in the future, maybe it was posted here, is that if federal legalization comes that'll add competition to the real estate market for MJ growers. I honestly have no clue if it will double again in 6 months, or go half of what it is now.

edit:

RE: Bezos stepping down - be interesting to see if congress brings in the new CEO for their various amazon grillings or if they keep bringing in Bezos. I at least partially see this move as a way to try and get out of the spotlight for Bezos.

In the REIT world I still like CDR and UBA but no one gives a poo poo in the feeding frenzy times of meme stocks and SPACs

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
Eh, why not. I'll pick up some NDRA at the open.

Behotti
Apr 30, 2008
Fun Shoe
I'm getting in on this NDRA train, probably came in a bit high at $2.18. but :shrug:

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
I'm picking up a few NDRA shares, but I am NOT buying a billboard.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
I am guessing today is make or break for reddit with GME. It either pushes the roof or it crashes down to sub $50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

I have a friend who used their tools extensively while in the military and is very bullish on them just from that, but they also have the stink of Trumpian border patrol contracts and recent meme-stock status, so :shrug: