Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Taintrunner posted:

You can find it for free on MyAbandonware. Matrix Games gave it out for free a long time ago, but lost the download link on their site.

drat, that place has a bunch of old games I need to try again. Thanks! RIP free time.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I'm not going to make a third post saying the same thing. But I'll quote it.

Yeah, but there ever been a good English translation of it? Last time I checked (Which was admittedly years ago) the ones that were out there were sorta janky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

fartknocker posted:

Yeah, but there ever been a good English translation of it? Last time I checked (Which was admittedly years ago) the ones that were out there were sorta janky.

There's a full translation for Ghiren's One Year War campaign.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

There's a cool gundam mod for HoI IV as well

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Does anyone have the list at all of recommended mods and such for Distant Worlds? Have reinstalled and recalled that there was a chrome ui and ship sets and such that added to the experience.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLMLusw4efU

Slitherine is publishing this so by definition that makes it a grog game

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I don't know how to process a 2021 release of what looks like a mediocre early 2000s RTS based on a 1997 movie.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Darkrenown posted:

I don't know how to process a 2021 release of what looks like a mediocre early 2000s RTS based on a 1997 movie.

I actually wouldn't put it past Slitherine for this to be heavily based on the 2000 Microprose game based on Starship Troopers

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Darkrenown posted:

Your inability to appreciate the glory of Terran Ascendency is why Paradox is losing its reputation as a niche developer of bug ridden janky games.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLMLusw4efU

Slitherine is publishing this so by definition that makes it a grog game

I would have never thought it was possible to make fighting a house-sized bombardier beetle look boring but by golly they've done it.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
what the gently caress is that narration :psyduck:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Flavius Aetass posted:

what the gently caress is that narration :psyduck:

It's not literally the cheapest VA impossible because I know all those voices from Slitherine's other trailers.

It's someone trying to do the 'would you like to do more?' voice from the film but they don't have the range.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

gradenko_2000 posted:

I actually wouldn't put it past Slitherine for this to be heavily based on the 2000 Microprose game based on Starship Troopers

This is exactly what it's going to be and we all know it. I don't know anything about anything, but Slitherine seems to have 2-3 games that they just reskin and remake as some other series. They're not horrible, but they're generically forgettable (Hell, anyone?). I think their rts attempts are especially so.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

gradenko_2000 posted:

New Microprose would do a better job.

https://twitter.com/micro_prose/status/1353027928704090112

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
War On The Seas just dropped on steam

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

New Microprose is on fire with the announced games

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Phi230 posted:

War On The Seas just dropped on steam

Hell yeah, really hoping this is good. Gonna wait for a few first impressions before jumping in.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Phi230 posted:

New Microprose is on fire with the announced games

When they deliver on some of these announcements, then I'll get excited.

Popete posted:

Hell yeah, really hoping this is good. Gonna wait for a few first impressions before jumping in.

Okay, what the hell? What's $40. DLing now.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Oh drat, hmm. Get me your sweet, sweet impressions.

I didn't even realize it has subs too, I wonder how Cold Waters-y they are. Simpler? More advanced?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
War on the Sea is out, havent put much time in it, but seems interesting. Can't wait to try out the campaign

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I see it's still very grognard to just launch with no fanfare at all, also choosing a day when EA officially tell everyone about the Mass Effect remaster.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Squiggle posted:

Oh drat, hmm. Get me your sweet, sweet impressions.

I didn't even realize it has subs too, I wonder how Cold Waters-y they are. Simpler? More advanced?

Can't say yet. Just done a couple training missions, but it seems promising. Can definitely feel its Atlantic Fleet roots.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It'll definitely be interesting to see the split of Killerfish vs. Triassic when Sea Power comes out.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Played for about an hour doing the tutorials. Feels like I have less control of things than Rule the Waves. The dogfighting tutorial attempts to sell you on dogfighting with tank control in the air. Sound is bad, graphic is bad. Not really motivated to invest more time into learning it for now.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Well, I just fired up a custom battle between like fleets of DDs and CLs. When the shots are flying fast and furious it can be pretty intense. But, for a game that depicts something as visceral and messy as naval surface combat, it's kind unsatisfying how clean it is. There's no visual damage models on the ships other than a decal that blackens the hull a little bit. No bent metal, no pieces knocked off, just a some flame sprites and a hull that's slightly blacker than it was.

For example, here's the IJN Kuma being stalked by the USS Chevalier after being absolutely pummeled by fire from five US DDs and a rapid fire Brooklyn-class CL.

meh

The controls are reasonably intuitive. Menu UI is a little weird in places. I'm super jazzed that it picks up a constant axis input off my rudder pedals, which cocks up a couple of the less important sliders and drop down menus unless I hold my left toe brake just so. Can't find anywhere to de-bind that in the controls menu, so guess I'll live with it. Sound is okay. Overall graphics are passable, but kinda show their mobile roots. If there was a better visual damage model, it'd shrug off the overall models. Enemy AI appears to be able to target through islands without LOS even though I've lost contact and can't shoot.

I haven't played the campaign yet, so maybe that will tie it all together. I won't refund it, but the most compelling reason not to is so that my son can get a hoot out of blowing ships up.

Edit: Also, I'm not sure why there are options to build custom battles and such with dates into 1946. The most modern ships in the US arsenal are South Dakotas and Yorktowns. Maybe there's some late war DLC coming later... ?

Edit 2: Wait, there are Tench class submarines. Their ship catalog doesn't make any sense. No Iowas or Essexes, but there's a Tench?

Chuck_D fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Feb 3, 2021

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Watched some Twitch streams, one guy noticed they had regions for Atlantic/Mediterranean/Indian so my guess is they plan to expand this quite a bit.

Combat looks decent enough but what's going to make or break it for me is the dynamic campaign. Haven't seen any footage of that yet.

Imaginary Baron
Apr 14, 2010

Gewehr 43 posted:

Well, I just fired up a custom battle between like fleets of DDs and CLs. When the shots are flying fast and furious it can be pretty intense. But, for a game that depicts something as visceral and messy as naval surface combat, it's kind unsatisfying how clean it is. There's no visual damage models on the ships other than a decal that blackens the hull a little bit. No bent metal, no pieces knocked off, just a some flame sprites and a hull that's slightly blacker than it was.

For example, here's the IJN Kuma being stalked by the USS Chevalier after being absolutely pummeled by fire from five US DDs and a rapid fire Brooklyn-class CL.

meh

The controls are reasonably intuitive. Menu UI is a little weird in places. I'm super jazzed that it picks up a constant axis input off my rudder pedals, which cocks up a couple of the less important sliders and drop down menus unless I hold my left toe brake just so. Can't find anywhere to de-bind that in the controls menu, so guess I'll live with it. Sound is okay. Overall graphics are passable, but kinda show their mobile roots. If there was a better visual damage model, it'd shrug off the overall models. Enemy AI appears to be able to target through islands without LOS even though I've lost contact and can't shoot.

I haven't played the campaign yet, so maybe that will tie it all together. I won't refund it, but the most compelling reason not to is so that my son can get a hoot out of blowing ships up.

Edit: Also, I'm not sure why there are options to build custom battles and such with dates into 1946. The most modern ships in the US arsenal are South Dakotas and Yorktowns. Maybe there's some late war DLC coming later... ?

Edit 2: Wait, there are Tench class submarines. Their ship catalog doesn't make any sense. No Iowas or Essexes, but there's a Tench?

These are pretty much my impressions. The campaign feels unfinished. My task forces are constantly pestered by search planes and I need to keep clicking skip to advance time. Then my CAG is suddenly dumped into a point blank battle with a surface task force... how did my search groups not see that coming in clear daytime weather? Maybe I missed a command and this is probably user error.. but for reasons above I refunded this. I may buy back in after some patching and at a cheaper price.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

The new flare path site is like 90% loving puzzles and I goddamn hate it.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BrotherJayne posted:

Yeah that guy sucks on top of being a transphobe and poo poo.

I don't think devs are going to be as friendly with him on updates going forward.

I really just want regular updates on grognard/skims and outside of Flare Path there's a massive vacuum to be filled. goon project

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Gewehr 43 posted:

That's odd, it looks like the same engine as the mobile game and that had proper damage graphics and shell holes.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
I've been playing Grand Tactician The Civil War 1861-1865 today. And what a god drat mouthful that title is.

Seems fun, there must be about 20 minutes of documentary style footage I've run through so far explaining the lead up to the war in a basic way with reenactors and everything haha. Game itself seems interesting but lacking in fleshed out features and quality of life stuff. I think this studio could employ a UI designer and fix the majority of nit picks I've had with it so far but grogs gonna grog.

I was feeling fairly secure along the virginia border as the confeds when I was blindsided bu a 100K plus army landing near Richmond. My recruitment has been taking a while and I've been focused on launching a few invasions west.

Screenshots!

Doomstack makes it over to me surprisingly quickly once I notice them

My defending force that I quick marched down....15k

My only other sizable unit, 20k. Being railed south and stretching my rail capacity beyond its limit

Disaster? We shall see

Abongination fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Feb 3, 2021

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

BrotherJayne posted:

Have you seen the new Wargamer site update?

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Every day we stray further from the light of god...

GT:tCW looks pretty... how is the combat?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

BrotherJayne posted:

Every day we stray further from the light of god...

GT:tCW looks pretty... how is the combat?

It has the fun drawing lines and advancing - the core is solid, but the AI is still fairly braindead,

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
War On The Sea trip report:

8 B-17s bomb a submerged IJN submarine causing critical damage.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Phi230 posted:

War On The Sea trip report:

8 B-17s bomb a submerged IJN submarine causing critical damage.

As a WITP player, this is.... Normal?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

I really just want regular updates on grognard/skims and outside of Flare Path there's a massive vacuum to be filled. goon project

I do have a site that handles this sort of stuff irregularly and would welcome other folks to write there. My focus is on poo poo I enjoy, which lately is CMO / CO2 tutorials. So if you want to write, ala Goohammer, let me know.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Three moves ahead podcast is basically the last game in town.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Grey Hunter posted:

As a WITP player, this is.... Normal?

Yes but bombing accuracy in WitP is hosed.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Yooper posted:

i'm too old for the internet and it's passed me by a while ago, apparently.

i got into wargaming for the thoughtful, strategic decision-making, and slow, plotted moves that you could measure in hours or days, if you felt like it. this seems to be the complete opposite of that. oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Yooper posted:

Jesus.